QB debate-just trust Bowles!

johnnyjet

even w/ those 2 plays if Fitz makes some of the plays that were there we win that game.  we beat Indy but midway through the 4th w/ a +4 TO ratio we were ahead only 10-7.  he is struggling, I hope he snaps out of it this week.

That's the thing though - I don't think he's playing poorly for his skill set.  I think this is who he is.  All things go well he can win you a game, but as soon as you ask him to make things happen - he skill set doesn't allow for it.

That, to me, is why you want Geno.  

If you were to give Geno 5 TO's in a game - he wins that game.   

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the thing though - I don't think he's playing poorly for his skill set.  I think this is who he is.  All things go well he can win you a game, but as soon as you ask him to make things happen - he skill set doesn't allow for it.

That, to me, is why you want Geno.  

If you were to give Geno 5 TO's in a game - he wins that game.   

he is who he is, he's a good backup in this league that should never be a longterm starter but unfortunately he is that for us now.

Fitz did not play better than even 2nd year Geno would have in the first 3 games. Fitz threw 5 interceptions and was completely inept past 15 yards. The little bit of success we saw was scheme, not Fitz. People are getting COMPLETELY carried away with how bad Geno was last year. Even with that horrid Buffalo performance (which was largely on the CS) Geno threw 13 interceptions in 14 games, and as much as people want to discount it, played at a very high level the last 4 or 5 games, much better than what Fitz does throughout his career. The upside with Geno is pretty larger, and the downside in Gailey's system is likely no worse than Fitz performance so far.

The reality is that a lot of Jets fans dislike Geno the person more than rationally looking at his performance and potential as a QB.

Geno will be starting in two weeks.

if Geno is that good, lol, then he will get a chance. The coach until he proves different will get my support in his decision regarding who is the starter.  The comment that Geno was the starter before knocked out by a teammate over $600 is a valid one, but how far ahead of Fitz was he? Bowles is adamant in his statement Fitz is our Qb . So I'm thinking he didn't have a huge lead. He didn't say for now, he left no doubt at this time Fitz is the starter. There is no doubt this regime knows our Qb situation is dicey at best.  As a die hard fan I will be patient and hope they get it right soon.  Hell I've waited for a Qb since 1976-77 (when joe got waived) so whats another decade......

Good post.

Definitely agree, Geno will get a chance but it is nice to see Bowles not panic here.

I suspect that this is just Bowles' personality. You don't hear a lot of maybes or what ifs from him. Everything he says is definitive. I also don't get the impression that he's the type of guy who looks very far beyond the game at hand. Fitzpatrick is 100% the starter this week, and would have to be having a terrible game to get pulled. They'll approach the bye week differently, assessing every position on the team with the information they have. 

I agree with this. Bowles is not going to help fan any flames of a QB controversy in the locker room. Fitz is our starter. That's that... for this week. If Fitz struggles this week in a similar fashion as the Eagles game, this is the perfect time to bring Geno in and get him up to snuff with the offense and playing with the starters again over the Bye week. 

While I think Geno gives us more of a chance in the long run, I would love to see a solid game by Fitz and a win. Going into the bye at 3-1 with Washington on deck, sheldon coming back is a good situation the way I see it. 

that last sentence is so true...it's funny his last teaMs he played for are the Texans, Titans, Rams, and Bills...all looking for stop gap qbs, like us, to hold the fort...and all those fans, who are also desperate for a franchise qb, would be rolling on the floor laughing if they read the optimism some fans have on this board for him.  Even after his first 2 games he was rated #19...now he's #26...Fitz as a starting qb will always be one of the worst starting qbs in the nfl...everyone knows that...except a few buffoon jet fans...who will learn the hard way, like the buffoon Texan, ram, titan, and bills fans before them....

#19 is a nice upgrade of the QB position looking back over the past few years.  We were all hoping for #19 and holding or perhaps even a bit more as the offense jelled.  However week 3 saw two main weapons on the bench so a dropoff to #26 while disappointing, is understandable.  Also, opponents now have some tape on how Gailey/Fitz operate (specifically his lack of long ball accuracy) so there was that to contend with as well.

With one weapon returning week 4 and some more time working with D.Smith, we should see some improvement.  If Gailey/Fitz, remain at #26 or worse then it's time for a QB change.  I do not want to burn the entire season hoping for the best while seeing a downward trend.

And before you all get up in arms about how these ratings are an imperfect gauge, IMHO they are a reasonable guide.      

I feel we finally have a coach who will do what is best for the team at the most important position on the team.  I've never liked the age old NFL tradition of naming a starter and by god you never deviate from, that guy no matter what.  One way or the other Geno will get his chance some time this year imo.  He better work hard and be ready when it comes along.

Bowles would have no hesitation about pulling the plug----if he thought it would do some good.  But I think he draws the line at hope and change.

Not true.  He is currently #26.  behind guys like Kirk Cousins, Josh McCown, and Jay Cutler...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Why do people keep saying not true to me?  It is absolutely true.  http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Quarterback rating is not QBR.  QBR is a newer stat that some prefer which takes into account situational play. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6833215/explaining-statistics-total-quarterback-rating

#19 is a nice upgrade of the QB position looking back over the past few years.  We were all hoping for #19 and holding or perhaps even a bit more as the offense jelled.  However week 3 saw two main weapons on the bench so a dropoff to #26 while disappointing, is understandable.  Also, opponents now have some tape on how Gailey/Fitz operate (specifically his lack of long ball accuracy) so there was that to contend with as well.

With one weapon returning week 4 and some more time working with D.Smith, we should see some improvement.  If Gailey/Fitz, remain at #26 or worse then it's time for a QB change.  I do not want to burn the entire season hoping for the best while seeing a downward trend.

And before you all get up in arms about how these ratings are an imperfect gauge, IMHO they are a reasonable guide.      

The issue, IMO, was less with missing weapons vs the new defensive philosophy the Eagle deployed.  The Eagles completely sold out against the run.  There’s a good article about it below.  They didn’t bring 8 into the box, they brought 9.  They then deployed their CBs to play inside, take away the slant, and leave the sideline open for “over the top” throws.  Make fitz beat you.  This alignment left no running lanes and made the obvious audible to pass vs single man-to-man coverage and cover 2 zones.  Fitz even made the right calls, leading to 58 pass attempts.  Despite the open field, passing lanes, and open spots the Eagles clearly chose to leave open…Fitz could not hit the areas of the field required to be successful against the defensive alignment.

One thing I can tell you for sure, is we will see this defense a lot.  The defenses will play some man, some zone, but always have CBs leaving areas of the field open and uncovered…like last week.  It will be up to Fitz to make them pay.  1 week is not a trend, so we need to wait and see if Gaily and Fitz find a way to overcome this obstacle.  In teh article below, Gaily thinks he has...we will have to see.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/ryan-fitzpatricks-a-bad-start-away-from-a-geno-controversy/

Good article, thanks for posting. Gailey also mentions route running and that is because we were missing Decker.  They can't put 8-9 in the box with both Decker and Marshall in the game.  So this week we have the return Ivory and a slightly more seasoned D. Smith.  Gailey said he'd have a few more tricks up his sleeve so it should be interesting. 

It's a lot easier to stop a throw over the top (or to the outside) to a fidget like Kerley than to Marshall or Decker.

It will also be easier with Devin Smith and Fitz working 1 week and a couple days on timing compared to last week's couple of days.  I am just hoping we get a win this week and give Gaily 2 weeks to tinker with how Smith fits in the offense with Decker and marshall.  It's almost like get the win and then reset the offensive dynamic during the bye with the new piece we've added mid stream, i.e. we're building the car while driving it.

It will also be easier with Devin Smith and Fitz working 1 week and a couple days on timing compared to last week's couple of days.  I am just hoping we get a win this week and give Gaily 2 weeks to tinker with how Smith fits in the offense with Decker and marshall.  It's almost like get the win and then reset the offensive dynamic during the bye with the new piece we've added mid stream, i.e. we're building the car while driving it.

A Porsche?

Heres My prediction for the season at QB, barring injury to anyone that plays the position.  Fitz will be the starter until he loses the job or we are eliminated from the playoffs.  After that it may be Geno or maybe even Bryce.  But until fitz plays geno like or we are eliminated he is the QB.  If we are 6 and 4 you are not seeing Geno.  If we are 4 and 6 maybe..  

Geno has done NOTHING on or off the field to warrant getting a shot to start.  Lets not forget how horrible he was, how immature he is and what a complete moron he is for losing HIS job over a measley to him $600.00.  

$600 dollars.  Think about how much money that is to a millionaire.  He probably had it in his man purse. or in the change cup in his car.  

millionaires don't leave 600 dollars in their change cup.

Archived