Netflix: Stranger Things

Integrity28

2 hours ago, rillo said:

Definitely awesome, love old 80's feel to it. I'm about 5 episodes in. 

I watched 4 episodes last night while doing some freelance work. The attention to detail really just nails the 80's aesthetic they are going for. Even the typeface in the credits/graphics harkens to all the Stephen King creepy stuff of that era. 

As for the show itself, I really had no idea where it was going with anything. The character development is reminiscent of what JJ Abrams did in Super 8, where he didn't fall over himself trying to backfill every person's story, but gives you enough about what what happened in their lives prior, to understand the point you are meeting them at. I think that's a Spielberg thing, that Abrams also does quite well. 

I just like how familiar it feels, from almost a textural standpoint, but how interesting it is from a story standpoint... I've tried to deduce which of the typical sci-fi themes it is riffing on, but haven't quite figured it all out yet.

Really good show so far.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I watched 4 episodes last night while doing some freelance work. The attention to detail really just nails the 80's aesthetic they are going for. Even the typeface in the credits/graphics harkens to all the Stephen King creepy stuff of that era. 

As for the show itself, I really had no idea where it was going with anything. The character development is reminiscent of what JJ Abrams did in Super 8, where he didn't fall over himself trying to backfill every person's story, but gives you enough about what what happened in their lives prior, to understand the point you are meeting them at. I think that's a Spielberg thing, that Abrams also does quite well. 

I just like how familiar it feels, from almost a textural standpoint, but how interesting it is from a story standpoint... I've tried to deduce which of the typical sci-fi themes it is riffing on, but haven't quite figured it all out yet.

Really good show so far.

Yes.  Just like that. Nice call Ape.  You kinda think you know but you really dont know.

18 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

biggest piece of garbage I have seen in a while. The acting was horrific and I found myself laughing pretty damn hard at how bad it was.

Just got through watching Viking's and Turn and they are both fantastic

That's cool. I loved it, almost because of those things. It was just fun. Not perfect, but I never take for granted a sci-fi flick/show my wife gets into with me.

On 7/27/2016 at 4:52 AM, Smashmouth said:

biggest piece of garbage I have seen in a while. The acting was horrific and I found myself laughing pretty damn hard at how bad it was.

Just got through watching Viking's and Turn and they are both fantastic

"Turn"  is a surprising good show. They lucked out that in the midst of 2 seasons Tom Huddleston became a hot property, and he does a great job.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had the chance to start in on this show. I love everything about it, top to bottom. The original score in particular is quite the witty homage to John Carpenter and Georgio Morodor. But the subtleties in every ode and nod to the 80s is so well done. They nail so many classics from so many genres, comedy to scifi to horror, from Goonies to Firestarter to ET to Carrie to Nightmare on Elm Street. This show makes me me knowingly romanticize my childhood which I just love.

• 2 weeks later...

Duffer Bros saying today that Season 2 will be primarily influenced by James Cameron movies, since he always handled SciFi sequels so well with Aliens and T2. If you don't love how awesomely shameless these guys are then we simply can't be friends.

Also worth noting, Volumes 1 and 2 of the show soundtrack have been two of the top trending albums on Spotify and Apple Music. Not everyday that an instrumental soundtrack primarily composed of synth music goes mainstream to this degree. Off the top of my head I think Carpenter and Vangelis are the only other guys to pull that off.

On 8/16/2016 at 5:23 PM, The Crusher said:

Really was good.  Like RJF said it had that cool quirky 80's thing going on. sometimes its nice to just watch something that is fun. Really liked it.

It was such a blast from the past.  Didnt know there was a Season 2.  That gives me joy

4 hours ago, Thor99 said:

How much popcorn did she eat?

Popcorn is very light and low carbs.  Come'on...

I dont really get the knock on the acting.  I think Winona Ryder and her oldest kid killed it on this show.  Matthew Modine was so creepy and great.  Same with the Sheriff.  Same with the super cool boyfriend.

The kids are kids, if you're expecting Oscar winning performances from kids then you should be smacked in the face.

11 hours ago, HessStation said:

It's awesome and that's the final verdict! All other opinions are invalid.

ok.  I was mostly wrong.  Just finished episode 1.  I played rune quest in the 80's and I am a lord of the rings geek, so yeah

I was right about goonies, there are spielberg references all over this.

love most of the characters, but winona is just so bad, lol

kinda bummed I saw the last episode first now

onto episode 2

damn you Hess.  I should have gotten out, now I'm hooked

the last 3 minutes of episode 3 were really good, the best so far.  Even tho I know who survives to the end, its cool to see the evolution of the lights and the letters on the wall. There is plenty I don't know, so its still cool, and my memory sucks, lol

19 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Serious question, would you let and 8 and a half year old watch it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is sex scene, no nudity but dudes on top and heavy make out. I'm only through epi 4, but I would say no. There are creepy things and adult ideas like teen sex, drinking and death

Archived