Jets, Bengals, Cardinals, Panthers

UnitedWhofans

4 teams that won double digit games last year that have already exceeded their loss total from last year.

And of those 4, I think the Jets are the least surprising. Most people thought they would have a hard time with their schedule this year. And combine that with underachieving players, injuries and bad QB play.

Bengals have had a bad running game and bad OL play. We saw that first hand.

Carson Palmer has had a horrible season for the Cardinals. And that has showed

Panthers have self destructed on both sides of the ball.

Just goes to show that year to year is unpredictable. Each year is a different creature and should be judged and expected independently.

46 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

4 teams that won double digit games last year that have already exceeded their loss total from last year.

And of those 4, I think the Jets are the least surprising. Most people thought they would have a hard time with their schedule this year. And combine that with underachieving players, injuries and bad QB play.

Just goes to show that year to year is unpredictable. Each year is a different creature and should be judged and expected independently.

I don't buy the schedule argument, our sched has not been nearly as tough as we thought coming into the season.  we just suck.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

It's part of it. I listed the other reasons

I don't veen believe it is part of it.  Cincy is mediocre, Buf mediocre, Seattle was playing w/ a banged up Wilson, Ari is mediocre, Miami is mediocre, KC looks good but they aren't some juggernaut, LA stinks, Cle stinks, Bal is mediocre.  the sched was NOT tough.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I don't veen believe it is part of it.  Cincy is mediocre, Buf mediocre, Seattle was playing w/ a banged up Wilson, Ari is mediocre, Miami is mediocre, KC looks good but they aren't some juggernaut, LA stinks, Cle stinks, Bal is mediocre.  the sched was NOT tough.

At the beginning it was. And that leads to no momentum and lost of confidence, so when they get to the easier part, they have nothing

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No, all their coaches and GMs suck and should be fired .

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

At the beginning it was. And that leads to no momentum and lost of confidence, so when they get to the easier part, they have nothing

I 100% understand your point but Cincy didn't play well against us, we had chances against KC, Seattle wasn't playing well and Wilson was banged up.  we just sucked, we have talent but that talent was not working hard this offseason and the coaching has been horrendous.  I think our guys thought they'd just show up and automatically be better in year 2.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I 100% understand your point but Cincy didn't play well against us, we had chances against KC, Seattle wasn't playing well and Wilson was banged up.  we just sucked, we have talent but that talent was not working hard this offseason and the coaching has been horrendous.  I think our guys thought they'd just show up and automatically be better in year 2.

I think that that is very probable.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It's also very interesting to me that people get more angry about this season than usual. The Jets having a bad season is not a rarity. 

I think the non playoff seasons are wearing on people especially in this parity era.  the last time we had a drought this long was 1987-1997.  From 1998-2010 our longest drought was 2 years.  I think it was reasonable to expect us to take a step back this year but I don't think anyone expected us to be this bad.  To take a step back is one thing, to tale 9 steps back is another.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think the non playoff seasons are wearing on people especially in this parity era.  the last time we had a drought this long was 1987-1997.  From 1998-2010 our longest drought was 2 years.  I think it was reasonable to expect us to take a step back this year but I don't think anyone expected us to be this bad.  To take a step back is one thing, to tale 9 steps back is another.

Nothing has gone right for them this year. Injuries have played a part and regression too.

For that reason, I think Bowles will be back, but there will be some coaching changes. That's usually the way it works anyway

I don't buy the schedule argument, our sched has not been nearly as tough as we thought coming into the season.  we just suck.

We sucked last year too, we just had a historically easy schedule. But we suck because we have no QB. Even mediocrity at the position would have us at least 5-5. Don't get me wrong we have other issues, but nothing even compares to our QB situation. Case Keenum would be an upgrade for us. Let that sink in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Snell41 said:

We sucked last year too, we just had a historically easy schedule. But we suck because we have no QB. Even mediocrity at the position would have us at least 5-5. Don't get me wrong we have other issues, but nothing even compares to our QB situation. Case Keenum would be an upgrade for us. Let that sink in.

I would like evidence of that fact.

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

we did not suck last year, we did benefit from an easy sched but we were a good team.  this year we are pathetic.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Yet we lost to two of those teams we played. We are truly sh*t.

12 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It's also very interesting to me that people get more angry about this season than usual. The Jets having a bad season is not a rarity. 

Having a bad season when you expect a bad season is one thing. Having a bad season when you expect a good season is entirely different.

During the off season there was so much hype and positivity going on here you could get yourself in trouble for suggesting we weren't playoff bound.

16 hours ago, Snell41 said:

We have had terrible defensive play, a brutal schedule, special teams cost us multiple games, bad coaching, crucial missed PAT's and key injuries, yet mediocre QB play would have us at .500? And Case Keenum put up 9 on our D with how many offensive possessions??

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

Having a bad season when you expect a bad season is one thing. Having a bad season when you expect a good season is entirely different.

During the off season there was so much hype and positivity going on here you could get yourself in trouble for suggesting we weren't playoff bound.

Goes back to expectations in sports. NEver have them. Each season is an individual unit. Too much can happen to change courses.

19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

To champion the bolded is to say Woody has been a great owner 

To me it all goes back to week 1 with Nick Folk and our Special Teams blowing that game. We win that game and we are probably 2-0 to start the season against what was considered a brutal schedule. It wasn't as tough as predicted but it was still tough. Cincy is better than their record shows. They had a tough schedule to start as well. But Folk blew that game and our specials also blew the Miami game. That's two wins right there that our special teams blew for us this year.

We have been so bad on Special teams since Mike Westhoff left.

20 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I agree but if you don't listen to the hysteria on this board. You know like fire everybody. We lost a 1 pt game to Cincy and Fins and Rams were totally winnable games. So we could even though we suck be at 6-4 right now. The difference between a good season and one like this is sometimes winning very close games. The good teams win them. The 4 games we were not competitive in were terrible performances. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I agree but if you don't listen to the hysteria on this board. You know like fire everybody. We lost a 1 pt game to Cincy and Fins and Rams were totally winnable games. So we could even though we suck be at 6-4 right now. The difference between a good season and one like this is sometimes winning very close games. The good teams win them. The 4 games we were not competitive in were terrible performances. 

the difference btw good teams and bad teams is good teams find ways to win close games, bad teams find ways to lose them.  Most game sin this league are close, we are a bad team.

21 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's playing the what if game but we lost some close games due to poor special teams this year. Our special teams went from being so good under Westhoff to being consistently brutal since he left. In close games, special teams can play such a big role, it did for the Jets for a long time under Westhoff. Now its hurting us and we're seeing why its so important and can't be overlooked IMO.

On top of that we've got poor QB play. We beat Cincy and Miami if our special teams don't blow those games. And I bet Fitz probably starts last week against the Rams if we have 5 wins going into that game instead of 3. And he was capable of winning that game for us, regardless of how bad he's been this year.

We had so many chances against KC but again we fumble a kick on Special teams that gets returned for a TD and Fitz has one of his worst performances every and kills us in the red zone. Hell, we fumbled a kick on special teams last year against the Bills that hurt us in a season where 1 more win would have put us in the playoffs.

There's plenty of areas on this team that need to get fixed but poor QB play and bad special teams are haunting us.

Archived