Worthwhile long term mega deals?

nico002

To his credit I think Mac and Davidson do a better job than most here.  You need to keep the players motivated.  I would rather pay a player more money for a year or 2 than a longer term deal that averages less of a cap hit but has more money committed.   For what it is, Mo's contract is pretty good.  Would rather he not received it, but the Jets can get out next year.  Frustrating thing is that he will sign a prove it deal next year for another team and play much better.  That is the conversation the Jets should have with him if he wants to stay in New Jersey.  

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Reggie White and Deion Sanders could be it for non-QB's

Recent QB deals include; Manning, Brees and almost Favre twice 

good call on white and sanders. maybe ricky williams?  he wasn't a bad running back just not worth the saints entire draft.  herschel walker?  it worked out great for the cowgirls. not so great for the vikes.  steve young?  can't say this was much of a mega deal but tampa did give up a starting qb and he sat on the bench behind montana for a season.

Very rare.   

You have to look at a position that ages well.   A great left tackle, I give him a big extension.  The corner on Washington off the Panthers so far looks good.   JJ Watt played well for a few years before injuries.  You have to find a guy at a position that ages well who is a quality guy who won't stop playing when he gets paid. 

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Reggie White and Deion Sanders could be it for non-QB's

Recent QB deals include; Manning, Brees and almost Favre twice 

QBs, if someone like Cousins comes available. I'd even take Brees for 2 years, at least it would be fun if we drafted another QB & prayed. If the Jets shore up the LB position, & get an edge rusher, if Drew Brees put up 21-27 points a game, the Jets would win a lot of them. With the way Gronk is aging (body), Amendola (concussions), their LT getting old & injury prone, defense being weaker than ever, if the Jets get a signal caller in 2018, they will be contending for the AFC east title. Its gonna be an interesting offseason & I wonder how close Morton was to Brees?

James Dearth:

Jets officials announced Wednesday that they have signed Dearth, who joined the team last year, to a multi-year contract but offered no details of the deal. But ESPN.com has learned that the accord is one of the longest on file in the league, an eight-year contract that runs through the 2009 season, and is worth $5.24 million.

6 hours ago, varjet said:

To his credit I think Mac and Davidson do a better job than most here.  You need to keep the players motivated.  I would rather pay a player more money for a year or 2 than a longer term deal that averages less of a cap hit but has more money committed.   For what it is, Mo's contract is pretty good.  Would rather he not received it, but the Jets can get out next year.  Frustrating thing is that he will sign a prove it deal next year for another team and play much better.  That is the conversation the Jets should have with him if he wants to stay in New Jersey.  

Um, they already had him on a 1 year deal for the same money. Should have taken the highest offer anyone gave, like lots of us said, the moment he drafted Leo. He had at least 2nd round value then, despite the ludicrous demands - from GM, fans, and Manish Mehta - that he was worth at least a 1st round pick. If no one is offering it, then he isn't worth it.

$17m/year to a guy that had a history of skipping meetings, whose position was yet again addressed twice in the past 3 years by more talented players. So I'd say his contract was the polar opposite of pretty good.

These two are decidedly not better than most. They're worse.

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Does Mawae count? That was pretty strong.

Reggiw White is obvious answer, I am seriously struggling for another.

Big ticket FA contracts are the stupidest thing a franchise can do

Mawae only signed a 5 year deal back in '98.

so NO ONE has topped my nomination of James Dearth? :D An 8 YEAR CONTRACT!!!

PS - as a side note, in looking up Mawae's initial FA Jets contract, I came across this doozy:

EXTRA POINTS

The Jets raised ticket prices in the lower and upper stands to $35 from $30 and in the mezzanine seats to $40 from $35:o. The Jets, the only N.F.L. team not to require their season ticket-holders to buy exhibition games, have joined the fold. The 22,000 season ticket holders will also have to buy two preseason games. The exhibition games will be against the Giants and the Baltimore Ravens. 

Those old Jets STHs MADE OUT LKE BANDITS at THOSE PRICES and what from I recall buying off scalpers as a teenager back then, I was HOSED!. :angry:

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Going to narrow this down a bit, but this statement rings especially true with big D Lineman. I can't think of one who was worth his 2nd contract. Something to keep in mind when LW comes due.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I am of the opinion that defensive lineman are massively overrated and overpaid in general outside the few that can get consistent pressure on the QB

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Um, they already had him on a 1 year deal for the same money. Should have taken the highest offer anyone gave, like lots of us said, the moment he drafted Leo. He had at least 2nd round value then, despite the ludicrous demands - from GM, fans, and Manish Mehta - that he was worth at least a 1st round pick. If no one is offering it, then he isn't worth it.

$17m/year to a guy that had a history of skipping meetings, whose position was yet again addressed twice in the past 3 years by more talented players. So I'd say his contract was the polar opposite of pretty good.

These two are decidedly not better than most. They're worse.

I think we all agree that Mo should not have been signed long-term.  I think there were other forces behind that.

I think we also all agree that Macc and the rest of the Jets braintrust has not accurately assessed trade value of players.  I think with some of the recent trades they now get the joke much better.  Basically, no one is giving a high draft pick to a player that also needs to be paid top dollar.  Teams spend draft picks or money on players, not both.  

But if the decision was to sign a player long-term, in part to free up tag money so that they can sign Fitz so they can compete in 2016, being able to part ways with Mo affordably in 2018 is not a horrible result.

I think teams can do a study of what their average dead money is, which are often contracts that 

13 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Going to narrow this down a bit, but this statement rings especially true with big D Lineman. I can't think of one who was worth his 2nd contract. Something to keep in mind when LW comes due.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am of the opinion that defensive lineman are massively overrated and overpaid in general outside the few that can get consistent pressure on the QB

This is completely true, which is why it is not necessarily bad to draft them high if they can make a different in the defense.   You just don't sign them for second contracts, or if you do, sign them for 1-2 year deals with incentives.  Mo made the Jets look very silly.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think we all agree that Mo should not have been signed long-term.  I think there were other forces behind that.

I think we also all agree that Macc and the rest of the Jets braintrust has not accurately assessed trade value of players.  I think with some of the recent trades they now get the joke much better.  Basically, no one is giving a high draft pick to a player that also needs to be paid top dollar.  Teams spend draft picks or money on players, not both.  

But if the decision was to sign a player long-term, in part to free up tag money so that they can sign Fitz so they can compete in 2016, being able to part ways with Mo affordably in 2018 is not a horrible result.

I think teams can do a study of what their average dead money is, which are often contracts that 

Sure they do. Just not first rounders (let alone first rounders and more) for players at Mo’s position, unless he’s beyond compare to his peers like Watt. Hell, with 2 strikes against him, 2 seasons since he was a full-time disruptor, and his mouth and embarrassment, Seattle still offered up the trade equivalent of a low 3rd rounder for Sheldon Richardson.

I’m well aware of what you think the forces were behind the signing, but it’s baseless (not to mention there’s a wealth of evidence to the contrary). If that was the case he’d have been extended a year or two earlier. Instead he was on the trading block for 3 consecutive offseasons before Maccagnan caved. Worst of all, he knew all the off-field garbage associated with Mo, that was shielded from the fans for years.

13 hours ago, nico002 said:

Can anyone provide me with examples of where mega deals for premium non-qb positions actually worked out in the last few years?

you need to adjust for relative value by position.  obviously QB's get the biggest $ so the highest paid OG won't compare to QB.   otherwise pretty much the entire all-pro team from last year worked out pretty well - talent doesn't come cheap in the age of free agency:   julio jones, antonio brown, tyron smith, keleche osemele, bobby wagner, geno atkins, joe thomas, luke kuechly, akib talib, von miller.   

the list goes on and on.   it suck when you overpay for a turd (haynesworh, wilkerson, etc..) but i'm not sure what the point of the question even is.   

19 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

James Dearth:

Jets officials announced Wednesday that they have signed Dearth, who joined the team last year, to a multi-year contract but offered no details of the deal. But ESPN.com has learned that the accord is one of the longest on file in the league, an eight-year contract that runs through the 2009 season, and is worth $5.24 million.

PROOF THAT IT WORKS!

Important to sign those long-snappers to big deals!  B)

Archived