Now is the time to trade McCown

Pennington

This is the perfect time to trade McCown. The Jaguars and Cardinals are the two places that I think would have some interest. The Jaguars have a good defense and running game but have absolutely no trust in Bortles. Plus Bortles is in the same position contract wise as Wilkerson; if he gets hurt and misses next season they are on the hook for a ton of money. With their division being very winnable it would make sense for them to trade a 4th rounder for McCown.

The Cardinals are another team that might have some interest after losing Palmer for the season. I think that team sucks but they did just trade for Peterson so they must consider themselves playoff contenders. Maybe they would be willing to deal a 4th for McCown.

We should take advantage of the fact that McCown has not been inept and move him to a team that could use an upgrade at QB. I can't see our gutless front office or head coach being willing to trade him but this is a move that should be made. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

This is the perfect time to trade McCown. The Jaguars and Cardinals are the two places that I think would have some interest. The Jaguars have a good defense and running game but have absolutely no trust in Bortles. Plus Bortles is in the same position contract wise as Wilkerson; if he gets hurt and misses next season they are on the hook for a ton of money. With their division being very winnable it would make sense for them to trade a 4th rounder for McCown.

The Cardinals are another team that might have some interest after losing Palmer for the season. I think that team sucks but they did just trade for Peterson so they must consider themselves playoff contenders. Maybe they would be willing to deal a 4th for McCown.

We should take advantage of the fact that McCown has not been inept and move him to a team that could use an upgrade at QB. I can't see our gutless front office or head coach being willing to trade him but this is a move that should be made. 

big-bang-theory-quotes-43.gif

McCown will be the starter until he gets hurt or the Jets are mathematically out of the playoffs. You probably don't like it, I don't like it but that's the Bowles way.

"He gives us the best chance to win" Todd Bowles

Just now, Skeet Ulrich said:

In his best of years, he had a 6-7 record as a starting QB. What GM in their right mind wants a shopworn Josh McCown?

Well we did for one and McCown is an upgrade over Bortles and Stanton. Would it really be a stretch to see Jacksonville sending us a 4th rounder for McCown so they can move on from Bortles. They are definitely a contender in that division and really shouldnt be risking an injury to Bortles which would cost them big money next season.

Just now, MaxAF said:

McCown will be the starter until he gets hurt or the Jets are mathematically out of the playoffs. You probably don't like it, I don't like it but that's the Bowles way.

I agree that the Jets are too stupid to make a move like this but I think Jacksonville or Arizona would consider giving us a pick for McCown.

1 minute ago, MaxAF said:

This is true, as sickening as it is. 

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Well we did for one and McCown is an upgrade over Bortles and Stanton. Would it really be a stretch to see Jacksonville sending us a 4th rounder for McCown so they can move on from Bortles. They are definitely a contender in that division and really shouldnt be risking an injury to Bortles which would cost them big money next season.

They are probably going to win their division. Why on earth would they bench Bortles, who they have waited 3+ years to get them into a position like this, for a guy like McCown?

13 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Cmon. As much as I'd like to see the other 2 start and get a chance, this just makes no sense in regards to the actual people making the decisions. 

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

They are probably going to win their division. Why on earth would they bench Bortles, who they have waited 3+ years to get them into a position like this, for a guy like McCown?

Bortles is terrible and if he gets injured they are on the hook for his salary in 2018 much like we are with Wilkerson. I think when Jacksonville played Pittsburgh they didn't let Bortles throw a pass in the second half. Fact is they know he sucks and might consider McCown an upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not that I think they will make a move for McCown, but he did give a valid reason.  They picked up Bortles 5th year option.  It is guaranteed for injury.  That means if he gets hurt he gets a guaranteed $19M next year.  People on this board are worried about paying Cousins $25M.  Could you imagine paying Bortles $19M? 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Pssht. Bortles is HALF the leader that McCown is.

And here are the stats comparison, just for interest's sake. McCown isn't much worse than Bortles.

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2017 Jacksonville Jaguars 7 196 115 58.7 28.0 1,398 7.1 199.7 9 4.6 5 2.6 52 17 3 11 50 85.4

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2017 New York Jets 7 221 153 69.2 31.6 1,583 7.2 226.1 10 4.5 7 3.2 69T 21 3 22 153 91.5

This is like one of those calls on WFAN. 

Caller: Hey Mike, first time long time, great honor to be on your show, your da best.

Mike: What can I do foe ya?

Caller: Hey, I was thinkin, why don't the Mets trade Seth Lugo?

Mike: Errr, OK, what do you think you will get back for him?

Caller: I was thinkin that they could trade him foe that Altuve guy from the Astros, the Astros have all those middle infielders and they could use another starta 

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

This is like one of those calls on WFAN. 

Caller: Hey Mike, first time long time, great honor to be on your show, your da best.

Mike: What can I do foe ya?

Caller: Hey, I was thinkin, why don't the Mets trade Seth Lugo?

Mike: Errr, OK, what do you think you will get back for him?

Caller: I was thinkin that they could trade him foe that Altuve guy from the Astros, the Astros have all those middle infielders and they could use another starta 

I brought up the potential of getting a 4th round pick for McCown. Its not like I was asking for a first round pick. Is it really so far fetched to believe that a team with a terrible QB like Bortles or one that has lost a starter such as Rodgers or Palmer and has no viable backup could have interest in him.

Jacksonville, Arizona, and Green Bay all believe they can make the playoffs. Its not outrageous to think that one of them might be willing to give a mid round pick for McCown.  

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:
1 minute ago, Pennington said:

I brought up the potential of getting a 4th round pick for McCown. Its not like I was asking for a first round pick. Is it really so far fetched to believe that a team with a terrible QB like Bortles or one that has lost a starter such as Rodgers or Palmer and has no viable backup could have interest in him.

Jacksonville, Arizona, and Green Bay all believe they can make the playoffs. Its not outrageous to think that one of them might be willing to give a mid round pick for McCown.  

I think there is a better chance one of those three teams calls the Giants and asks if they are ready to move on from Eli then there ever would be of somebody calling about McCown. I do agree with you though......this might be the year a 9-7 or 8-8 team gets in. The league is beyond parity; it's terrible.

4 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I'm just kidding bro, I hear you. I would take a 4th for him. No offense, just playing around keeping things light

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Look at the stats I posted.

Similar numbers to Bortles and McCown. The topic on which of them is better is very debatable.

There's really nothing to debate here. The Jets would rather have Bortles any day of the week and twice on Sunday!  Regardless of the stats, Bortlles has something that McCown doesn't - UPSIDE. 

37 minutes ago, Pennington said:

trading McCown makes no sense in any universe . I can't even think of any scenario that would make this happen. Hes a one year stop gap QB whose career will be over after this year unless the Jets sign him as a back up to an Incoming rookie or too Hack / Petty then maybe sign him as a QB coach due to his knowledge of the current system under Morton. Im not even sure if anything I said here is a possibility but getting a pick for him is absurd due to the Way Todd Bowles thinks hes our best option. That and nobody wants him

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

trading McCown makes no sense in any universe . I can't even think of any scenario that would make this happen. Hes a one year stop gap QB whose career will be over after this year unless the Jets sign him as a back up to an Incoming rookie or too Hack / Petty then maybe sign him as a QB coach due to his knowledge of the current system under Morton. Im not even sure if anything I said here is a possibility but getting a pick for him is absurd due to the Way Todd Bowles thinks hes our best option. That and nobody wants him

He is every bit as good as Bortles, Hundley, and Stanton and those teams consider themelves playoff contenders. 

It is rational to think that the Cards or Packers would look for a stop gap to win enough games if they think Palmer or Rodgers is coming back.  Doubt it would be McCown.  Not sure why the Jags would go to McCown over Bortles. The salary theory is okay, but they are making a run now and there is more chance that Bortles or Henne steps up Flacco style than McCown plays competent ball. 

@Spoot-Face posted the stats and McCown has 40% more INT and more than double the sacks.  It's nice that McCown's other numbers are good, but those numbers don't help you win with defense.  Sunday being a prime example.

Archived