Bye Week: State of the Jets

greeniemeanie

The bye week of another odd football season, brings us to an all too familiar position. It seems that every year that is an odd numbered year, we find the Jets in a state of disarray. Remember 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, and now 2007. The Jets have a horrible trend working against them. They do well every other year, and then they stink it up.

The Jets represent today's NFL. Are they the victim's of parity, or is their success a direct result of it.

There are very few teams that have been pretty consistent in competing despite the parity of the NFL. The Colts and Patriots seem to have had the most success. What is it that these teams do that the Jets don't? What do they have that the Jets don't? What kind of drafts do these teams have? The answers to these questions will tell you what the Jets need to do to get to the Superbowl race and stay there.

The Colts and Pat's both have an elite, super stud QB. They both have an impenetrable O-Line. They both have very strong D-lines. The Pats competed for years without a strong secondary. The Colts defense as a whole was mediocre at best for years. With this in mind you have to ask yourself why in the world haven't the Jets focused on the same areas as the Colts and Pats?

Folks let's face it, The Jets stink. They will continue to have a successful year followed by an abysmal one for as long as the status quo is maintained. Sure we may get lucky and win a playoff game or two in the next few years, but you gotta ask yourself as a Jets fan, Wouldn't it be great to follow a team like the Colts and Pats that competed EVERY year?

Like most of you, I love the Jets. I will continue to root for them for the rest of my life. However, I can tell you that unless the Jets change their M.O. we will continue to have the every other year syndrome. It's frustrating as a fan. As Suzanne Powers screamed, STOP THE INSANITY! For insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The Jets must be trully insane. That is unless, winning is not as important to them as doing just enough to put fannies in the seats.

Now for the grades:

QB: Pennington is mediocre, Kellen is unproven. QB has not been a strength for the Jets since the early '70's. D+ grade.

RB: As a rusher Jones is good. Leon is exciting. The RB corps is not living up to expectations. On performance alone they get a C- grade.

WR: Coles and Cotchery get an A, the entire unit gets a B- grade.

TE: Who is Chris Baker? I wonder if Schotty even knows there is a TE on the team. I can't blame the play calling completely for the lack of using our TE. They have been a mediocre group. Grade of C.

OLine: Brick is performing well, Mangold is a stud. 2 out of 5 ain't bad right? WRONG! They're miserable. Without Brick and Mangold this line gets an H grade, with them they get an F+.

DLine: We have a Dline? F grade.

LB: Harris is amazing in his first two starts. Everybody else, ahhh, I've seen a lot better from them. Without our LBers every rush would be a TD rather than a 7 yard gain. Still, as a unit they have been stinking it up. I'll give them a generous B- grade.

Secondary: Revis is coming along nicely, Barrett is going somewhere soon (hopefully). Has anbody seen Kerry Rhodes this year? Wasn't Mangini supposed to know a little something about the secondary? Really? D+

Special teams: As usual, Special Teams is the lone bright spot of this team. Sure Nufent is inconsistent, but overall, the unit is pretty darned good. A

Offensive Coordinator: Remember Paul Hackett? This guy is almost as bad, but instead of calling a draw on third and 7, he calls a gadget play on 3rd and 1. WTF? Schotty gets a D. I didn't give him an F because he is young and there is still hope he will mature and get better.

Defensive Coordinator: Does anybody remember last season? Our defense started horribly, and then Mangini got involved in play calling and the D finished strong. This year Sutton starts the year calling plays and the same thing that happened last year happens, except Mangini never takes over play calling. Guess what, our D sucks. This should be Sutton's last year, but with this group who knows? F

Head Coach: Strict, Rigid, Unwavering, and successful. Nope, it's not our coach I'm referring to. It's that prick in New England. Will somebody please tell Eric that he is not Bill. Mangini needs to develop his own style. He's young, I think he'll be a great coach someday. Unfortunately, he's coaching in NY so that "someday" better be today. All in all, Mangini has not been horrible, but he better make sure he gets back in the good graces of the team that he is about to lose. I give EM a generous grade of C-

Front Office: Pete Kendall, Darrelle Revis.......both handled less than perfectly. Still they made the right calls. I still give this FO a high grade. We are rebuilding, and we need to rebuild for a little while to get a good core of players. I think the FO has made most of the right moves. I give the FO a B+

Ownership: No Stadium in NY. The new Stadium in NJ is shared. The new Stadium is looking like the ugliest stadium ever made by man. The prices of tickets are going up even though we share a stadium and are going to continue to share a stadium. Woody Johnson is an ass. I give him a grade of -F. That's right I gave him a negative F. He is a liar, and a crook.

There is only 1 reason to watch the Jets this year....Kellen Clemens. I think we might have gotten a good one with this guy. This year should tell us. The real test for this team will be how they address this off season. We need an entire D-line, 3 parts of an O-line, and a pass rushing OLB. If we get lucky we may be back in it for years. We need to build through the Draft. We'll see what Happens.

All in All to sum up the state of the Jets.

just End The Season, and start over, again.

Overall a pretty fair assessment. One thing though you should reduce the LB's grade and give those extra points to the WR's. Having Coles and Cotchery alone gets the group at least a B+ and Brad Smith might turn into something. How many WR groups are more than 2 deep with Pro-Bowl caliber talent?

The bye week of another odd football season, brings us to an all too familiar position. It seems that every year that is an odd numbered year, we find the Jets in a state of disarray. Remember 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, and now 2007. The Jets have a horrible trend working against them. They do well every other year, and then they stink it up.

The Jets represent today's NFL. Are they the victim's of parity, or is their success a direct result of it.

There are very few teams that have been pretty consistent in competing despite the parity of the NFL. The Colts and Patriots seem to have had the most success. What is it that these teams do that the Jets don't? What do they have that the Jets don't? What kind of drafts do these teams have? The answers to these questions will tell you what the Jets need to do to get to the Superbowl race and stay there.

The Colts and Pat's both have an elite, super stud QB. They both have an impenetrable O-Line. They both have very strong D-lines. The Pats competed for years without a strong secondary. The Colts defense as a whole was mediocre at best for years. With this in mind you have to ask yourself why in the world haven't the Jets focused on the same areas as the Colts and Pats?

Folks let's face it, The Jets stink. They will continue to have a successful year followed by an abysmal one for as long as the status quo is maintained. Sure we may get lucky and win a playoff game or two in the next few years, but you gotta ask yourself as a Jets fan, Wouldn't it be great to follow a team like the Colts and Pats that competed EVERY year?

Like most of you, I love the Jets. I will continue to root for them for the rest of my life. However, I can tell you that unless the Jets change their M.O. we will continue to have the every other year syndrome. It's frustrating as a fan. As Suzanne Powers screamed, STOP THE INSANITY! For insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The Jets must be trully insane. That is unless, winning is not as important to them as doing just enough to put fannies in the seats.

Now for the grades:

QB: Pennington is mediocre, Kellen is unproven. QB has not been a strength for the Jets since the early '70's. D+ grade.

RB: As a rusher Jones is good. Leon is exciting. The RB corps is not living up to expectations. On performance alone they get a C- grade.

TE: Who is Chris Baker? I wonder if Schotty even knows there is a TE on the team. I can't blame the play calling completely for the lack of using our TE. They have been a mediocre group. Grade of C.

OLine: Brick is performing well, Mangold is a stud. 2 out of 5 ain't bad right? WRONG! They're miserable. Without Brick and Mangold this line gets an H grade, with them they get an F+.

LB: Harris is amazing in his first two starts. Everybody else, ahhh, I've seen a lot better from them. Without our LBers every rush would be a TD rather than a 7 yard gain. Still, as a unit they have been stinking it up. I'll give them a generous B- grade.

Secondary: Revis is coming along nicely, Barrett is going somewhere soon (hopefully). Has anbody seen Kerry Rhodes this year? Wasn't Mangini supposed to know a little something about the secondary? Really? D+

Special teams: As usual, Special Teams is the lone bright spot of this team. Sure Nufent is inconsistent, but overall, the unit is pretty darned good. A

Offensive Coordinator: Remember Paul Hackett? This guy is almost as bad, but instead of calling a draw on third and 7, he calls a gadget play on 3rd and 1. WTF? Schotty gets a D. I didn't give him an F because he is young and there is still hope he will mature and get better.

Defensive Coordinator: Does anybody remember last season? Our defense started horribly, and then Mangini got involved in play calling and the D finished strong. This year Sutton starts the year calling plays and the same thing that happened last year happens, except Mangini never takes over play calling. Guess what, our D sucks. This should be Sutton's last year, but with this group who knows? F

Head Coach: Strict, Rigid, Unwavering, and successful. Nope, it's not our coach I'm referring to. It's that prick in New England. Will somebody please tell Eric that he is not Bill. Mangini needs to develop his own style. He's young, I think he'll be a great coach someday. Unfortunately, he's coaching in NY so that "someday" better be today. All in all, Mangini has not been horrible, but he better make sure he gets back in the good graces of the team that he is about to lose. I give EM a generous grade of C-

Front Office: Pete Kendall, Darrelle Revis.......both handled less than perfectly. Still they made the right calls. I still give this FO a high grade. We are rebuilding, and we need to rebuild for a little while to get a good core of players. I think the FO has made most of the right moves. I give the FO a B+

Ownership: No Stadium in NY. The new Stadium in NJ is shared. The new Stadium is looking like the ugliest stadium ever made by man. The prices of tickets are going up even though we share a stadium and are going to continue to share a stadium. Woody Johnson is an ass. I give him a grade of -F. That's right I gave him a negative F. He is a liar, and a crook.

There is only 1 reason to watch the Jets this year....Kellen Clemens. I think we might have gotten a good one with this guy. This year should tell us. The real test for this team will be how they address this off season. We need an entire D-line, 3 parts of an O-line, and a pass rushing OLB. If we get lucky we may be back in it for years. We need to build through the Draft. We'll see what Happens.

How you gonna tell us something we already know?

Like most of you, I love the Jets. I will continue to root for them for the rest of my life. However, I can tell you that unless the Jets change their M.O. we will continue to have the every other year syndrome. It's frustrating as a fan. As Suzanne Powers screamed, STOP THE INSANITY! For insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The Jets must be truly insane.

The Jets- Woody Johnson and his employees- laugh all the way to the bank. We the fans are the ones who are insane. Seriously, why would anybody in their right mind want to be a fan of this team? I've asked myself that every year with the exception of maybe one or two seasons.

Overall a pretty fair assessment. One thing though you should reduce the LB's grade and give those extra points to the WR's. Having Coles and Cotchery alone gets the group at least a B+ and Brad Smith might turn into something. How many WR groups are more than 2 deep with Pro-Bowl caliber talent?

PRO-BOWL CALIBER TALENT? How many TDs do they have between all 3 ?????????

How you gonna tell us something we already know?

And this right here is prime example of why you will never be anything more then a worthless poster. This person took alot of time to type out something INTELLIGENT and well thought out,which I'm sure is a completely new idea to you. But please, try using the remaining IQ points you haven't killed and formulate a response that is worth reading.

PRO-BOWL CALIBER TALENT? How many TDs do they have between all 3 ?????????

All 3? I said the 2. Go read it again chief. BTW you don't think Coles and Cotchery are Pro-Bowl talents? If we had any resemblance of an offensive scheme and a quarterback that doesn't throw rainbows (which hopefully Clemens will help remedy) both of those guys would be going over 1,000 yards. Which is normally the benchmark for a pro-bowl type year.

All 3? I said the 2. Go read it again chief. BTW you don't think Coles and Cotchery are Pro-Bowl talents? If we had any resemblance of an offensive scheme and a quarterback that doesn't throw rainbows (which hopefully Clemens will help remedy) both of those guys would be going over 1,000 yards. Which is normally the benchmark for a pro-bowl type year.

According to Jetsfan5180, the only way Coles and Cotchery make the pro bowl is if they both grow 6 inches. Then, and only then will they be effective receivers.

Coles and Cotchery are two very good recievers, but no, as of now neither of them are good enough to be pro bowlers. Unfortunately, getting pro bowl votes requires a few things that neither Coles or Cotch has really had.

1) A long, succesful career where the player gains national recognition--Every fan of every team knows who he is and how he's dangerous (Ex: Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson)

2) Big numbers-- Given the severe lack of talent surrounding them, thats not going to happen

3) Big plays (SC type highlights)-- Given who their QB was for the first 7 or 8 weeks of the season, SC doesnt really care to take the time to show five or six dink and dunk completions.

I think Coles, Cotchery, and Smith is a very good set of WR's. I think with a better team, their numbers would be better and at least 1 (Coles/Cotch) would be close to a Pro Bowl.

This just in.

It didnt get any worse this week.

The Jets are still 1-8. :bag:

Is this official?

I still fear logging on to Yahoo sports later tonight to see... BREAKING NEWS -- "Jets fall to 1-9 after crushing defeat to The Bye. "

Then clicking on the article, I read...

"The New York Jets, who treated playing The Bye this week as a week off, suffered a crushing defeat, making the Jets a disappointing 1-9 and giving The Bye its first win in franchise history. After the game, Jets head coach Eric Mangini gave credit to the bye saying "we looked at their record and saw no wins, but they also have no losses. We thought we had it easy, but The Bye earned it this week.'"

This just in.

It didnt get any worse this week.

The Jets are still 1-8. :bag:

a week from now we'll be 1-9 I would bet my house on it-it's a tired thing too-I'm kind of in agreement with JetMoses-why AM a fan of this horrible team anyway all these years? I won't spend one more penny on them until I see an improvement-no more jerseys and maybe no NFL ticket next year and no Dolphin game either-no trips to Jersey for a game. If it weren't for this site I certainly wouldn't put as much thought into the Jets-I've had them on ignore before when seasons like this were happening-you just do something else on Sundays that's all

Is this official?

I still fear logging on to Yahoo sports later tonight to see... BREAKING NEWS -- "Jets fall to 1-9 after crushing defeat to The Bye. "

"The New York Jets, who treated playing The Bye this week as a week off, suffered a crushing defeat, making the Jets a disappointing 1-9 and giving The Bye its first win in franchise history. After the game, Jets head coach Eric Mangini gave credit to the bye saying "we looked at their record and saw no wins, but they also have no losses. We thought we had it easy, but The Bye earned it this week.'"

yea but Mangini still saw a lot of things to be encouraged with-it was just a couple of plays and we would have had it and we just have to work harder-I'm getting sick of his bullcrap too

Is this official?

"The New York Jets, who treated playing The Bye this week as a week off, suffered a crushing defeat, making the Jets a disappointing 1-9 and giving The Bye its first win in franchise history. After the game, Jets head coach Eric Mangini gave credit to the bye saying "we looked at their record and saw no wins, but they also have no losses. There were good things in all three phases, but when one guy doesnt execute, the play breaks down and doesnt work the way we drew it up. The execution has to get better blah blah blah...

Ha ha, pretty good!

i made one change at the end for you.

Very accurate post. However the one thing I disagree with is the front office. They have done a horrible job. They don't go after good free agents and they bring in players who make no sense. Losing draft picks for Ramsey, Barlow, and Thomas Jones over the past two seasons isn't a team trying to rebuild. And while Revis and Harris are good, trading away half your draft picks for them means you should be better than a 1-8 team...

When you look like a 2-14 team, nothing the front office did in the off season was good.

Very accurate post. However the one thing I disagree with is the front office. They have done a horrible job. They don't go after good free agents and they bring in players who make no sense. Losing draft picks for Ramsey, Barlow, and Thomas Jones over the past two seasons isn't a team trying to rebuild. And while Revis and Harris are good, trading away half your draft picks for them means you should be better than a 1-8 team...

When you look like a 2-14 team, nothing the front office did in the off season was good.

or when the free agents you bring in don't even play or aren't even active for half the games like Bowens and Barnes. Even Joey Porter would have been a perfect fit in Mangini's defense he's trying to run but of course why would we ever sign a player who might help us? Better to waste time on bringing players out of retirement to see what they have left when that spot could have better been used seeing what else is out there-you know like undrafted rookie FAs

or when the free agents you bring in don't even play or aren't even active for half the games like Bowens and Barnes. Even Joey Porter would have been a perfect fit in Mangini's defense he's trying to run but of course why would we ever sign a player who might help us? Better to waste time on bringing players out of retirement to see what they have left when that spot could have better been used seeing what else is out there-you know like undrafted rookie FAs

or tank Johnson

F Character

I laugh at people proclaiming this is a "rebuilding" year yet are the same people who proclaimed Thomas Jones would make this team better.

The problem with Rebuilding is that Coles isn't that young, half this OL isn't that young, Thomas Jones isn't young, half the defense isn't that young.

Many of their young players don't even play.

In reality, Mangold, DBrick, Revis, and Harris are the only real young players on this team that this regime brought in who start. 4 players out of 22 isn't a team that is planning to rebuild.

Rebuilding is doing what the Cowboys did and dumping a good aging RB for a ton of draft picks.

It's not trading for an aging RB or trading away half your picks to move up in the draft. Revis might wound up being great, but at this point, by the time this team does rebuild, Revis could be a player on another team.

I laugh at people proclaiming this is a "rebuilding" year yet are the same people who proclaimed Thomas Jones would make this team better.

The problem with Rebuilding is that Coles isn't that young, half this OL isn't that young, Thomas Jones isn't young, half the defense isn't that young.

Many of their young players don't even play.

In reality, Mangold, DBrick, Revis, and Harris are the only real young players on this team that this regime brought in who start. 4 players out of 22 isn't a team that is planning to rebuild.

Rebuilding is doing what the Cowboys did and dumping a good aging RB for a ton of draft picks.

It's not trading for an aging RB or trading away half your picks to move up in the draft. Revis might wound up being great, but at this point, by the time this team does rebuild, Revis could be a player on another team.

Kellen Clemens? Jerricho Cotchery? Kerry Rhodes?

Just sayin.

Bingo.

Kellen Clemens? Jerricho Cotchery? Kerry Rhodes?

Just sayin.

Rhodes and Cotchery weren't brought here by this regime. And you can not say Rhodes is doing anything this season. Nobody on that defense deserves to be called good this season. They stink against the run. They stink against the pass. They stink. End of story. Rhodes does have talent, but giving credit to this front office for him is ridiculous. He was brought here during the Herm era, not Mangini's.

As far as KC, who knows. He's played two games. He's 0-2. He looks like he has talent, but he's a long way from being proclaimed a great up and coming QB.

My problem is this regime has brought in 4 young starters. You don't rebuild to win if you only bring in 4 new young starters.

Rhodes and Cotchery weren't brought here by this regime. And you can not say Rhodes is doing anything this season. Nobody on that defense deserves to be called good this season. They stink against the run. They stink against the pass. They stink. End of story. Rhodes does have talent, but giving credit to this front office for him is ridiculous. He was brought here during the Herm era, not Mangini's.

As far as KC, who knows. He's played two games. He's 0-2. He looks like he has talent, but he's a long way from being proclaimed a great up and coming QB.

My problem is this regime has brought in 4 young starters. You don't rebuild to win if you only bring in 4 new young starters.

If you can get just 4 good young starters via the draft every 2 years, you'd be doing a very good job in that area. Not to mention Clemens makes it 5 starters, and valuable role players like Leon and Brad Smith etc etc.

Oh and you dont judge drafts 1 year later. Who knows what the 06 and 07 drafts could mean for us 3 years from now if Clemens is great and Bender is our starting RT etc etc.

You are overthinking.

If you can get just 4 good young starters via the draft every 2 years, you'd be doing a very good job in that area. Not to mention Clemens makes it 5 starters, and valuable role players like Leon and Brad Smith etc etc.

Oh and you dont judge drafts 1 year later. Who knows what the 06 and 07 drafts could mean for us 3 years from now if Clemens is great and Bender is our starting RT etc etc.

You are overthinking.

The problem is they have not done anything else......

So if they only bring in 2 decent young starters every year, that means in 5-10 years they'll finally have enough to compete....

But that also means Revis is gone after 5 years and so on.

The reality is.... Adai helped the Colts win a super bowl in his rookie year. The RB in NE helped them last season. He's doing it this season. Peterson looks like a HOF RB at this point and if the Vikings get a real QB, they might be a good team next season.

The Packers built one of the top defenses in the league over the past few seasons.

The Jets have built what?

Mangold or Dbrick are good, but the OL still stinks. Heck for that matter, the Offense stinks and can't put points on the board. Revis and Harris are ok, but the Jets defense is one of the worst in the NFL.

Keep saying 3-4 years down the road is nice, but what has this team built?

DRob is useless. Vilma will probably be gone next season and half the players on this defense should be gone.

In reality they need 3 new Offensive linemen, a speedy WR, 4 new defensive linemen, a few new linebackers, a few new corners and safeties. And that's hoping the players they have now that are decent like Coles, don't leave...

All I know is the Colts and Pats seem to replace players every season and continue to win..... The Jets can't even replace Pete Kendall. Teams that rebuild in the new NFL turn out like the SF 49ers..... They are always rebuilding.

Now for the grades:

Overall this is pretty accurate....just a couple of things I would tweak:

FO...I don't think the FO has been good at all. The chemistry of the team starts right here at the foot of the FO.

From the FO, then we look at the HC. Sorry but Mangini looks scared and calls the same way. Allowing a gadget play on 3rd and 1 is just plain stupid. Allowing passes in the flat that continuely get picked off with some being returned for TDs is even dumber.

Having a 3-4 defense in place without the correct personnel is...WTF can I say!

I don't agree in the rebuilding statement either, cause if that was the case KC would have been in there from the get go.......

This mess starts at the FO and trickles it's way to the HC and the rest of the coaches. As a lifelong Jets fan I can't in good faith blame the players all the time. Not even Penny.

Let's face it, once Parcells left all credibility left with him. The FO is clueless and it shows.

You want this thing turned around, bring in Parcells again, pay him big bucks and this thing will get fixed, if not parcells then bring in Cower.

The problem is they have not done anything else......

So if they only bring in 2 decent young starters every year, that means in 5-10 years they'll finally have enough to compete....

But that also means Revis is gone after 5 years and so on.

The reality is.... Adai helped the Colts win a super bowl in his rookie year. The RB in NE helped them last season. He's doing it this season. Peterson looks like a HOF RB at this point and if the Vikings get a real QB, they might be a good team next season.

The Packers built one of the top defenses in the league over the past few seasons.

The Jets have built what?

Mangold or Dbrick are good, but the OL still stinks. Heck for that matter, the Offense stinks and can't put points on the board. Revis and Harris are ok, but the Jets defense is one of the worst in the NFL.

Keep saying 3-4 years down the road is nice, but what has this team built?

DRob is useless. Vilma will probably be gone next season and half the players on this defense should be gone.

In reality they need 3 new Offensive linemen, a speedy WR, 4 new defensive linemen, a few new linebackers, a few new corners and safeties. And that's hoping the players they have now that are decent like Coles, don't leave...

All I know is the Colts and Pats seem to replace players every season and continue to win..... The Jets can't even replace Pete Kendall. Teams that rebuild in the new NFL turn out like the SF 49ers..... They are always rebuilding.

Again, you are overthinking it big time. Revis is gone in 5 years? What the heck are you talking about, honestly? You cannot build a perfect team, its impossible.

And the Packers have had a sh#tty defense for YEARS all the way from 2003 thru 2006. It took them 4 years to get it back to where it is today. Mangini has had 2 frickin years, relax and have a sandwich.

Rhodes has played very well this season.

Unfortunately, it all starts up front, and thats where we're REALLY bad. Given a decent DL this defense could be amongst the best in the league.

As to the rebuilding argument: Yes, we are rebuilding, and yes it has to be done. For some reason people think that it shouldn't take more than a year for teams to rebuild. but when you go five years and bring in only a few young, talented players (thanks herm), then it will take longer as a good portion of the team needs to be replaced.

Archived