*BREAKING* Chiefs cut Larry Johnson

Vudu

Per Schefter & PFT

As reported first right here, the Chiefs have officially cut running back Larry Johnson.

Here's the full text of the release: "The Kansas City Chiefs released RB Larry Johnson on Monday. In 75 games (55 starts) with Kansas City, Johnson rushed 1,375 times for 5,996 yards (4.4 avg.) with 55 touchdowns. He also registered 151 receptions for 1,369 yards (9.1 avg.) with six TDs. He concluded his Chiefs career with 30 100-yard rushing games and also added two 100-yard receiving games.

"Johnson established an NFL single-season record with 416 rushing attempts in 2006 when he set a franchise single-season mark with 1,789 rushing yards. He originally entered the league as the Chiefs first-round selection (27th overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft out of Penn State."

As previously explained, he'll now be exposed to waivers. But unless someone wants to absorb his prorated $4.55 million base salary and $60,000-plus per-game roster bonus, he'll clear waivers and become an unrestricted free agent.

Johnson also will be entitled to collect the balance of his base salary as termination pay -- and to keep any money he makes if someone else signs him.

Johnson released by Chiefs

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

In a tersely worded statement Monday, the Kansas City Chiefs announced that embattled running back Larry Johnson has been released.

Johnson on Sunday served a one-game suspension for making gay slurs. He was fewer than 80 yards from setting the franchise record for career rushing yards.

Sign This Beast...actually New England should sign him-he's better than Maroney even now...hey how about Noodle Leg Gostkowski-that dude is friggin awesome...best kicker out there.

Patriots won't sign him.

Brady took offense to those comments LJ made on twitter.

I think he has something left in the tank given the right o-line. The Chiefs are abysmal.

+1

This is all that need be said on this topic. When Dick Vermiel ran St Louis and Kansas City, he had great lines and his backs were national heroes.

good riddance to one of the biggest Thug Turds in NFL

From KC paper:

ljandbetjulissa.jpg

He's the prototypical spoiled, rich-kid, even richer without much merit and for the most part he only picks fights with women according to his recent arrest record.

Arrested four times since 2003 on various assault charges against women.

Arrested for assault when a woman accused Johnson of pushing her to the ground in 2005 (case dropped after woman didn't show up to court).

Arrested for assault in 2008 for allegedly pushing over a woman by the head at a nightclub.

Arrested AGAIN in 2008 for non-aggravated assault via spitting a drink in a woman's face.

But now he's shown a level of idiocy that's nearly incomprehensible and involves the Internet . . . Twitter specifically.

LJ's Tweets are now protected (and deleted) but already the sports world is abuzz with what a dumbass he has been online.

"My father got more creditentials than most of these pro coaches," Johnson started innocently enough. His dad is the defensive line coach at Penn State. Johnson's first tweet ended with "Google my father!!!!!!!"

"My father 3 or 4 state champs in Maryland. 3 or 4 1st rd picks Penn State. . Not including son!!!"

Here's the money tweet:

"My father played for the coach from "rememeber the titans". Our coach played golf. My father played for redskins briefley. Our coach. Nuthn"

The spelling errors are his not mine (for a change) and mind you LJ went to a much better college than TKC.

THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS D-BAG TO SHOW HIS FACE IN KANSAS CITY EVER AGAIN!!! IF THE CHIEFS ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WINNING THEY'LL TRADE HIM, SUSPEND HIM OR GET RID OF HIM IMMEDIATELY!!!

This would send a great message to players about their standing in the NFL (Not For Long) and could tip the balance of power back to the management and coaching staff.

But I doubt anything will come of it . . . The Chiefs are an organization content only to collect tax money from broke ass Jackson County and continue a legacy of mediocrity with faux thug players and incompetent corporate leaders mimicking the very worst elements of the culture of their mostly JoCo based fans.

Damn, Larry Johnson and Tomlinson are doing nothing to dispell the notion of 30+ year old RBs being done.

Thomas Jones is helping it at 31 with over 700 yards and 8 games to go.

Larry and LT are both done though, it is painfully obvious.

Thomas Jones is helping it at 31 with over 700 yards and 8 games to go.

Larry and LT are both done though, it is painfully obvious.

Jones is definately holding his own. The problem is the perception which is fed by what is happening to Larry, LT & Edge (not to forget Alexander).

That's the main reason Jones is not getting a new contract. He may certainly be productive at 33 or 34, but that is completely against the odds.

Jones is definately holding his own. The problem is the perception which is fed by what is happening to Larry, LT & Edge (not to forget Alexander).

That's the main reason Jones is not getting a new contract. He may certainly be productive at 33 or 34, but that is completely against the odds.

Yep.

Jones will be getting a new deal though because he is going to either be released or traded before his $2.5 million roster bonus is due to him in March. The Jets drafted Greene to be his replacement so it's either send Jones packing or send Washington. 99.99% sure it'll be Jones.

One word ...

PATRIOTS.

I was thinking either New England or my most likely spot would be Philly. They need a big back who can pick up 1 or 2 yards, Westbrook and McCoy are the same type and they proved it last night how badly they need a big power back. And, lets face it, the Eagles arn't shying away from controversy (see Michael Vick).

Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2009 8:02 PM ET

So if running back Larry Johnson clears waivers and becomes a free agent, where would he like to play?

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Johnson hopes to be a Steeler.

And, frankly, the Steelers would be one of the few teams that would be undeterred by Johnson's history of misconduct, if the Steelers decide that they want him. Sure, if he wasn't a very good player, the fact that he has a history of disrespecting women and a more recent habit of homophobic slurs would keep the Steelers from ever considering him. But if the Steelers decide that Johnson can help the cause, we'll hear about second chances and mitigating circumstances.

Case in point? Current Steelers linebacker James Harrison and former Steelers receiver Cedrick Wilson engaged in similar conduct only a week or so apart in March 2008. Excuses were made for Harrison; Wilson received no such consideration.

The Steelers aren't the only sports team to apply a double standard. But at a time when plenty of NFL teams fret about the potential fallout from the arrival of controversial players, the Steelers are fortunate to have a forgiving fan base and a local media that consists of plenty of eyes accustomed to looking the other way

Seahawks have a guy names Justin Forsett they really like. I doubt that they'd be interested.

He's going to have a tough time finding a job. How much money is he owed?

his contract is guaranteed by chiefs if not claimed

Steelers Eagles or pats are likely suitors

the colts could use him, as well as the cards or san diego or houston

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

but yeah, the steelers have to be at the top of the list

Colts have Addai and Brown. No need there.

Cards have Hightower and Wells. No need there.

Bolts have way too much money tied into RB contracts.

Texans still think Slaton is the future, and he is.

Archived