Mark Sanchez: MERGED

mark6sanchez

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're lying to yourself if you aren't slightly concerned with the way Sanchez has looked so far.

Expect opening night to look awfully similar to last years Baltimore game.

Cowboys' defense isn't the Ravens' defense.

Mark looks like the same guy that got them to the AFC Championship last year. He's still inconsistent, and still has way too many throws tipped at the LOS. But then when he needs to, he can thread the needle with a dart for a TD.

They're trying to get Plaxico and Mason on the same page as the QB in a hurry, and it's obviously a work in progress. They open the season with the 'Boys, Jags, and Raiders. Hopefully those are soft enough opponents, and enough time, to get it together before facing the Ravens, Pats, and fish in consecutive weeks. Really, it should be.

Cowboys' defense isn't the Ravens' defense.

Mark looks like the same guy that got them to the AFC Championship last year. He's still inconsistent, and still has way too many throws tipped at the LOS. But then when he needs to, he can thread the needle with a dart for a TD.

They're trying to get Plaxico and Mason on the same page as the QB in a hurry, and it's obviously a work in progress. They open the season with the 'Boys, Jags, and Raiders. Hopefully those are soft enough opponents, and enough time, to get it together before facing the Ravens, Pats, and fish in consecutive weeks. Really, it should be.

Well, he was the 5th overall pick in the draft in his 3rd season...its about time he started to get consistent.

He wont get as lucky this season with the dropped int's.

Sounds like he was as bad as he sounded on the radio. I still have no power so I listened a bit on my car radio, and it seemed he was just ignoring open WRs, especially Burress.

I don't like how it sounded. If Mark doesn't put it together by the end of the year, draft another QB in the 1st round. Doesn't matter if Sanchez gets it together next year, with the rookie salary cap in place there is no reason now to keep drafting QBs until you hit on one for sure.

Back when the Niners had Montana they still developed Young and I think 2 other big name QBs whose names I forget now. GB always would do the same thing too.

More recently, the Chargers had both Brees and Rivers. The freaking Giants had Warner and Eli. The Cheatriots cheated with Bledsoe, Brady and Cassel, but they probably don't count.

Still the idea is don't sit on your laurels. I would like to have the Eagles situation on hand, then just trade QBs to other teams for king's ransoms.

Sounds like he was as bad as he sounded on the radio. I still have no power so I listened a bit on my car radio, and it seemed he was just ignoring open WRs, especially Burress.

I don't like how it sounded. If Mark doesn't put it together by the end of the year, draft another QB in the 1st round. Doesn't matter if Sanchez gets it together next year, with the rookie salary cap in place there is no reason now to keep drafting QBs until you hit on one for sure.

Back when the Niners had Montana they still developed Young and I think 2 other big name QBs whose names I forget now. GB always would do the same thing too.

More recently, the Chargers had both Brees and Rivers. The freaking Giants had Warner and Eli. The Cheatriots cheated with Bledsoe, Brady and Cassel, but they probably don't count.

Still the idea is don't sit on your laurels. I would like to have the Eagles situation on hand, then just trade QBs to other teams for king's ransoms.

All those teams (minus the Pats and jints) have something the Jets don't: a coaching staff capable of developing a QB.

Too bad the Ryan family network doesn't include any ties to Bill Walsh, because I agree with the general concept of drafting and developing QB's on a regular basis. Not necessarily taking them in the first round, but drafting a decent prospect every couple years. And fwiw, I like McElroy.

You're lying to yourself if you aren't slightly concerned with the way Sanchez has looked so far.

Expect opening night to look awfully similar to last years Baltimore game.

Other than last night, he's looked fine this preseason. In fact, he looked pretty damn sharp in the first two games.

Last night was a stinker. He's had his share, I am sure he'll have more. Tom Brady had a stinker this week too, I don't hear anyone pushing the panic button in NE and Sanchez has won a sh*tload more postseason games in recent years than their QB. :rolleyes:

Why should I expect opening night to look like Baltimore last year? Why shouldn't I expect it to look like Houston the year before when he led the team to a 24-7 win on the road in his first career start?

The Jets offense has done this repeatedly in the Schotty/Sanchez era - they look like pure crap one week and look unstoppable the next.

They'll get in rhythm and they'll get better. You gotta admit the TD pass was pretty sick.

I think what the Jets were trying to do last night offensively was completely predictable and also happened to be exactly the thing the Giants weren't going to allow to happen. The Jets wanted to get Plax involved and get him some big plays and Coughlin probably threatened his defense's life if they let Plax beat them. It seems every time Sanchez looked his way he was double and triple teamed. The take home on this is that Sanchez didn't try to force it to him like he would have in the past. He looked elsewhere and even threw the ball away for a change and ran when necessary and even showed a halfway decent slide that didn't make him look like a palsy victim.

All those teams (minus the Pats and jints) have something the Jets don't: a coaching staff capable of developing a QB.

Too bad the Ryan family network doesn't include any ties to Bill Walsh, because I agree with the general concept of drafting and developing QB's on a regular basis. Not necessarily taking them in the first round, but drafting a decent prospect every couple years. And fwiw, I like McElroy.

To be fair, the Pats had Charlie Weis when Brady was coming up. I know a lot of people dis the guy but Vinny Testaverde and Brady Quinn both looked damn good with him calling their plays.

And the previous poster's entire premise was flawed. The Giants specifically brought in Warner as a stopgap to get Eli ready. It's not like he was the firmly ensconced starter when Eli was drafted.

The Niners didn't so much develop Young as they picked him up off the scrapheap after he played in the USFL and busted out with the Bucs. The only other QB on their roster in that era was Steve Bono who was a nice career backup.

The Chargers thought Brees was a bust when they drafted Rivers.

Despite what Garb and PR37 insist, the Pats did not draft Brady in the sixth round intending for him to be a longterm starter.

The only team he mentioned that actually practiced developing QBs was the Packers under Holmgren and they still didn't take anyone in the first round until Favre had played nearly 20 years.

Other than last night, he's looked fine this preseason. In fact, he looked pretty damn sharp in the first two games.

Last night was a stinker. He's had his share, I am sure he'll have more. Tom Brady had a stinker this week too, I don't hear anyone pushing the panic button in NE and Sanchez has won a sh*tload more postseason games in recent years than their QB. :rolleyes:

Why should I expect opening night to look like Baltimore last year? Why shouldn't I expect it to look like Houston the year before when he led the team to a 24-7 win on the road in his first career start?

The Jets offense has done this repeatedly in the Schotty/Sanchez era - they look like pure crap one week and look unstoppable the next.

They'll get in rhythm and they'll get better. You gotta admit the TD pass was pretty sick.

I think what the Jets were trying to do last night offensively was completely predictable and also happened to be exactly the thing the Giants weren't going to allow to happen. The Jets wanted to get Plax involved and get him some big plays and Coughlin probably threatened his defense's life if they let Plax beat them. It seems every time Sanchez looked his way he was double and triple teamed. The take home on this is that Sanchez didn't try to force it to him like he would have in the past. He looked elsewhere and even threw the ball away for a change and ran when necessary and even showed a halfway decent slide that didn't make him look like a palsy victim.

You think Sanchez has looked good so far, I havent. Agree to disagree. It still takes him a few possessions to look somewhat comfortable in the pocket, and even then- its herky jerky.

It would be nice to have a QB that can consistently throw the ball down the middle of the field on first down and second down and obtain a first down. We seem to do whatever it takes to make it to third down every set of downs.

Yeah last night I guess was vanilla....but how long are those high school misdirectional bootlegs to Keller going to fool people?

Greene isnt going to confuse anyone with Adrian Peterson anytime soon, so unless Mark can start throwing the ball in the first quarter and put some points on the board....we're going to be hovering around the 9-11 win mark again with the WC.

We really need a negative rep button.

Newflash genius - your boy Joshie looks considerably worse than Sanchez so far this postseason.

He's struggled a little, but still better than Sanchez. Most young QBs are going to struggle without the mini-camp time.

And Freeman's already had a very solid season, something you can't say for Sanchez.

Too bad Woody was trying to sell PSLs, we could have sat back, saved ourselves a 2nd round pick and got the better QB.

I like the idea of keep drafting QBs in the early rounds. And once you hit on the sure thing, you can take a few years off. This is obviously a qb driven league. You'd be better off hitting on 1 out of every 5 qb you draft in a short span, than drafting one and waiting 8 years to realize that he's never going to be able to win you a SB.

Not saying that's the case with Sanchez, but I wouldn't be against spending a 1st or 2nd on Qb next year. If they both pan out, just trade one.

Mark and the entire Jets offense we aweful last night. Don't recall the 49ers developing capable starting QBs around Montana except for Young, who was considered a semi-bust when he came to the team in 87. Montana came into his on during his thrid season...even with Mark's performance last night I'm still expecting a consideable leap this year in his perfomance. Maybe not a Pro-Bowl type season but definitively better than what we've seen so far. Did last night give me hope? Absolutely not...but hope is a good thing. GB did a great job drafting developmental QBs with Favre around...Brunnel, Hasselback, Aaron Brooks and of course Aaron Rodgers...I'm also really high on Matt Flynn who will start somewhere next year. Organizationally they are one of the teams who do this right. Would definitely like the Jets to pursue a similar strategy and although I hope Mark takes the next step but I'm confident McElroy could push Mark if he does not.

yea Jetscode-aren't you impressed with McElroy's command out there? That kid has guts, is tough and is obviously very smart. I've really enjoyed watching him play these 3 games so far...I would feel pretty comfortable with him starting if we need him to in some emergency situation. I am seeing more out of him than I ever saw from Clemens, Bollinger, Ratliff...

He's struggled a little, but still better than Sanchez. Most young QBs are going to struggle without the mini-camp time.

And Freeman's already had a very solid season, something you can't say for Sanchez.

Too bad Woody was trying to sell PSLs, we could have sat back, saved ourselves a 2nd round pick and got the better QB.

I like the idea of keep drafting QBs in the early rounds. And once you hit on the sure thing, you can take a few years off. This is obviously a qb driven league. You'd be better off hitting on 1 out of every 5 qb you draft in a short span, than drafting one and waiting 8 years to realize that he's never going to be able to win you a SB.

Not saying that's the case with Sanchez, but I wouldn't be against spending a 1st or 2nd on Qb next year. If they both pan out, just trade one.

Early picks to valuable and in drafting QBs not necessarily the right approach to getting a quality starter...better to draft late round flyers who can play...similar to how we got McElroy...only team I can think of who spent high picks on QBs when a judgment hadn't been made on one of them already was the Cowboys who drafted Steve Walsh shortly after drafting Aikman...unless of course you want to look at Carolina who drafted Cam Newton the year after Jimmy Clausen.

The only team he mentioned that actually practiced developing QBs was the Packers under Holmgren and they still didn't take anyone in the first round until Favre had played nearly 20 years.

The old 49ers, Packers, and Eagles all consistently add and develop QB's. Where they get them doesn't matter, they get them. Picking up Steve Young and Michael Vick off the scrap heap both proved to be brilliant moves. It's the most important position in all of sports, it should be treated as such.

I'm not suggesting taking QB's in the first round every year, but taking mid-round QB's every couple years is a solid plan, IMHO.

Of course, this plan would require holding onto a few draft picks every year, too.

yea Jetscode-aren't you impressed with McElroy's command out there? That kid has guts, is tough and is obviously very smart. I've really enjoyed watching him play these 3 games so far...I would feel pretty comfortable with him starting if we need him to in some emergency situation. I am seeing more out of him than I ever saw from Clemens, Bollinger, Ratliff...

Absolutely! The kid is showing all the attributes of a possible future starter in this league...reminds me of when Matt Flynn was drafted by GB...Favre leaves, promote Rodgers, drafted Brohm in the second round and Flynn in the seventh. Flynn looks solid in preseason earns the backup job...Brohm eventually cut. Just goes to show that the high draft picks don't alway play any better.

McElroy has similar attributes...command is the right word...looks extremely confident, plus the team plays hard for him. I want Mark to succeed but would like to see Greg get time with the ones. He may not overtake Mark anytime soon but know he would push him more than Brunnel ever would.

So I don't post a lot and I think your topic and post is stupid

yea Joe the guy's there laughing at people for having as many posts on a jets MB as they do. This is something he'll never have to worry about: getting his chops busted for too many posts because that's a guy who probably never gets past a hundred before people realize he's a dickhead and he gets banned

He wont get as lucky this season with the dropped int's.

Dropped INT is a completely BS stat and it's ridiculous that it's brought up. This was discussed when FO/ESPN put that silliness out there.

The old 49ers, Packers, and Eagles all consistently add and develop QB's. Where they get them doesn't matter, they get them. Picking up Steve Young and Michael Vick off the scrap heap both proved to be brilliant moves. It's the most important position in all of sports, it should be treated as such.

I'm not suggesting taking QB's in the first round every year, but taking mid-round QB's every couple years is a solid plan, IMHO.

Of course, this plan would require holding onto a few draft picks every year, too.

The Jets actually have gone with the plan of bringing in new QBs on a fairly regular basis since Tanny took over, it just hasn't really worked out as one would hope. There were the draft picks of Sanchez, Clemens, Ainge and McElroy, the UDFA pickup of Ratliff and the trade for O'Connell. That's 6 guys in 6 years, which doesn't even count other camp bodies over the years, like Willy this year, so it's not like they haven't tried, it just hasn't necesarily worked out as well as one would hope.

Dropped INT is a completely BS stat and it's ridiculous that it's brought up. This was discussed when ESPN put that silliness out there.

Thank you.

Maybe Matt is right. Maybe Sanchez only throws 5 dropped INTs this year, and also only throws 10 actual INTs. Will that cause Aten's head to explode?

So, is there room for a level headed, intelligent discussion of Mark Sanchez in which we can display some concern after his performance last night?

What I didn't see last night, and what concerned me, was a continuation of last years post-season performance. We all know Sanchez has performed well in the post season, but we need to see better out of him if we want him to make it there each year. Year one, we were lucky to get there, as the Colts rested their starters, and we found a way in at 9-7. Year two was better, but we still made it closer than it needed to be with scary games against the Broncos, Texans, Browns, and Lions (am I missing any?).

Sanchez's play should be concerning to everyone in my opinion. There's no doubt he's capable of good performances, and I think he's minimizing the mistakes, but there are far too many times, when you're supposed to be a competitor, that the offense just looks inept. He's still just too inaccurate, and inaccuracy is inaccuracy whether it's preseason, regular season, practice, the playoffs, or in the backyard.

None of this means we wont have a good season, because we will. He's capable of being great at times, but if last night was any indication, he still hasn't removed the completely inept games from his arsenal. And if that's the case, we'll end up with games where we don't score a TD again. I'm sure we can count on him to step up again in the big spots, but without better play from him, there's no guarantee we find ourselves in those big spots.

I agree with your take, EY. It is maddening that Sanchez can be completely inaccurate on 1 throw and then throw a laser the next. It's like a screwed up guidance system.

That said, comparing him to Kyle Boller is moronic.

Yea EY there's always room for hardy discourse as long as it doesn't go overboard and start taking into account "what-if" stats. Look, we all know what we're seeing out there, we already know that Sanchez isn't a "great" QB but he doesn't have to be-he only has to be good and very good in the post season. I still think the play calling seems to suck when Sanchez is off his game. Granted, there were some pretty crappy throws too-especially the ones to Plaxico-this IS still pre-season and I'm not panicking yet...

Yea EY there's always room for hardy discourse as long as it doesn't go overboard and start taking into account "what-if" stats. Look, we all know what we're seeing out there, we already know that Sanchez isn't a "great" QB but he doesn't have to be-he only has to be good and very good in the post season. I still think the play calling seems to suck when Sanchez is off his game. Granted, there were some pretty crappy throws too-especially the ones to Plaxico-this IS still pre-season and I'm not panicking yet...

I'm not going to go all Senor Gato in your a$$ (Ha!), but I'm sick of the throwing Shotty under the bus to protect Sanchez. While there was no gameplan last night, the issue wasn't the playcalling. There were no glaring errors or momentum killers like a 3rd and 11 reverse play. He didn't even use the wildcat while Sanchez was in, if I remember correctly. Sanchez was throwing the ball behind and over WRs plenty, and unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Shotty calls for that.

I'm not panicked, because we've shown we can be a playoff team with Sanchez performing at the same level he did the last two years. I'm just disappointed that, though early to close the book obviously, there's no sign of progress either.

How are dropped INT's a BS stat?

There were a lot that were dropped last season. Turnovers are very flukey season to season...those passes could be caught this year.

But on the other hand, our defense should force more turnovers than last season where we barely had any.

Archived