Play 1st String Offense against the Eagles

DMaynard

for at least a quarter. I know Coaching for Dummies, Chapter 4 says you don't play starters in the last pre-season game. But I don't think the authors of the yellow and black book took into account an entire off-season of OTAs and mini-camps wiped out by a lock out. The offense is terribly out of sync. They desperately need more work. And the 53 man roster is pretty locked up. Don't need to see the 27 obvious cuts run around for 60 minutes. Think outside of the box, Rex.

Now, if he does not want to play them for risk of injury playing Thursday night after a Monday night game, I could understand that. But that is not the reason. The reason is Coaching for Dummies, Chapter 4 says you don't play starters in the last pre-season game. I love Rex, but GOD, people in football are really dumb.

I never had a problem with some limited playing time for the starters during the last game. It might make sense especially because they will have the extended week to rest, though that's offset somewhat by the short week before this one. Only reason not to is that it may be perceived as a panic move because of the lack of offense to start games. Wouldn't bother me either way.

Oh, I know that. Thus my comment on the intelligence of the football community.

At this point, after the mess this preseason has been with the lockout, barely practicing and then the hurricane....just be happy there were no major injuries.

That being said, I expect this offense to look like crap for at least a month into the season. Sanchez looks the same.

I never had a problem with some limited playing time for the starters during the last game. It might make sense especially because they will have the extended week to rest, though that's offset somewhat by the short week before this one. Only reason not to is that it may be perceived as a panic move because of the lack of offense to start games. Wouldn't bother me either way.

Good point on the extended rest afterward. And it will not bother me if they light it up against the Cowboys.

Teams used to play their starters in the last game. I remember one year Herm planned to play them, but then Andy Reid announced the Eagles wouldn't be playing theirs, so Herm followed suit. Quite a leader that guy was.

The three day turnaround makes it almost an impossibility this year. I'm wondering if Brunell is gonna get in... ?

It does seem like fewer and fewer teams play their starters in that last game. Could be a developing trend, or I could go all conspiracy theory and say the league wants that game to be as useless and annoying as possible to get fans behind the shortened preseason/lengthened regular season concept.

Interesting idea, but will never happen.

As mentioned, the 2 days rest makes it impossible and HCs would be slamming their head against the wall if they lost a starter in that game with the season so close.

There's a chance the Jets starters could have gotten a little playing time in if it wasn't for the delay of last night's game, but as soon as that happened that all went right out the window. You're not going to see the Jets put their starters at additional injury risk by playing them with a 2 day break between games.

There's a chance the Jets starters could have gotten a little playing time in if it wasn't for the delay of last night's game, but as soon as that happened that all went right out the window. You're not going to see the Jets put their starters at additional injury risk by playing them with a 2 day break between games.

Agreed. It's too much of a risk for the team to play starters with such a short gap in-between games, Seemed to me like they were going full speed as well.

Teams used to play their starters in the last game. I remember one year Herm planned to play them, but then Andy Reid announced the Eagles wouldn't be playing theirs, so Herm followed suit. Quite a leader that guy was.

The three day turnaround makes it almost an impossibility this year. I'm wondering if Brunell is gonna get in... ?

It does seem like fewer and fewer teams play their starters in that last game. Could be a developing trend, or I could go all conspiracy theory and say the league wants that game to be as useless and annoying as possible to get fans behind the shortened preseason/lengthened regular season concept.

I remember it that way too. Everybody used to play them for a series or quarter. It's a fairly recent trend not to play them. Wasn't there some theory about playing/not playing having something to do with Testicles achilles injury?

I don't understand what the league plans to gain by the shortened preseason/lengthened regular season. The games are already sold out, the only thing they could gain is TV revenue, so unless the change is incorporated into the TV deal it's useless.

Sanchez needs to learn how to bait the safety while knowing he's throwing it to someone else. He just doesn't have any timing...its hard to watch.

Brees is a master of this.

At this point in Brees career he was getting ready to start playing a season that his performance would have the Chargers opt to take a QB #1 overall in the following draft. Just saying.

Sanchez needs to learn how to bait the safety while knowing he's throwing it to someone else. He just doesn't have any timing...its hard to watch.

Brees is a master of this.

Yeah, now.

Brees sat and watched his rookie year.

Over his first two seasons as a starter he completed less than 60% of his throws, for 28 TD's and 31 ints. His YPA was 6.1. He regressed in his second season, throwing more int's than TD's, with a measly 5.9 YPA.

He's got Sanchez beat on the comp %, and the TD/int ratio is close (29/33) - the difference being that Mark improved significantly in that regard in his season season. He also has a much better YPA of 6.6. He did that getting thrown into the fire as a rookie who had very little playing time on college - Drew was a three year starter in college.

Yeah, just not completely worried yet.

That doesnt give Sanchez an excuse

LMFAO... I love that you went back and completely changed this post between the time I read it and when I hit reply. I certainly don't blame you, the comment of "And he was still a better QB than Sanchez is at this point" REALLY wasn't going to help your cause. I don't disagree with you that Sanchez still needs to be improve plenty, but this constant need for some people to expect him to perform at the level of varying top 5 QBs is beyond excessive.

Brees' 3rd season as starter was his break out season. I'll be shocked if Sanchez has that type of year. I'm not asking for top 5...I'm asking for a non remedial passing offense that doesn't have to rely on bootlegs and roll outs early to get the offense started. I can walk to the local high school to watch that.

Brees' 3rd season as starter was his break out season. I'll be shocked if Sanchez has that type of year. I'm not asking for top 5...I'm asking for a non remedial passing offense that doesn't have to rely on bootlegs and roll outs early to get the offense started. I can walk to the local high school to watch that.

Why are we comparing him to Brees?

Anyway, -4 TD to INT ratio is a breakout year to you? Huh???

At the very least, judge the guy on the REAL DAMN SEASON not a pre-season game. WTF.

Why are we comparing him to Brees?

Anyway, -4 TD to INT ratio is a breakout year to you? Huh???

At the very least, judge the guy on the REAL DAMN SEASON not a pre-season game. WTF.

Drew Brees 3rd year as starter he was +20. Brees is a decent comparison because of height, size, arm strength. Brees should be considered Sanchez's ceiling imo.

I'm not basing it on 1 preseason game I'm basing it on his entire career.

This is why it's bugged that they make season ticket holders pay for these games. I think they Jets need a bit more work before getting in sync fully. I don't see the harm in playing them for a bit. I know they won't, but with a short camp it'll be beneficial. Plus the Jets pulled their starters almost instantly in the 3rd, way before the Giants did. It's funny how they're like "yeah, the Jets will play starters into 3rd", which means 1 series. I don't even think the D got a 3rd quarter series. bah. I just want the real season to start.

Drew Brees 3rd year as starter he was +20. Brees is a decent comparison because of height, size, arm strength. Brees should be considered Sanchez's ceiling imo.

Brees' 3rd year as a starter was his 4th in the NFL. So you'd have to compare what Sanchez does in 2012 to what Brees did in 2004.

And LOL at "entire career". Two seasons is an "entire career." I love that.

I misread that, thought you said third year. Obviously sitting for a year DOES help, you have to realize that.

Sanchez' 2nd year as a starter (2nd year overall) was better than Drew Brees 2nd year as a starter (3rd year overall). What do you make of that?

I mean, it's funny that you would say he can't duplicate a guy because of what he has done so far in the past.... when his past not only duplicates the other guy's past but actually exceeds it.

I cant believe how this guy is acting as if Sanchez hasn't impressed thus far through the preseason. He ranks 4th in QB rating behind only Rodgers, Orton and Rivers. 3rd in TD's thrown with 3. Only one of 3 QB's who's yet to throw an INT. His completion percentage is currently up to 60.5%. If Sanchez hasn't performed during his limited amount of playing time, I'm not sure which QB has. I guess they've "all sucked"?

Also, how can this man complain about his "entire career", but yet, fail to mention how elite Sanchez has been during the playoffs after 6 career playoff games? He's been outstanding.

50 bucks you'd be the first to bitch why the hell is Rex even playing the starters if one of the got hurt...

Not me. This is football. People get hurt. I could not blame Rex for wanting to get some extra work for this offense when it is desperately needed. Now, for example, when a Belichick still has his 1st string playing in the 4th QTR while beating some team 50 - 0, and a starter gets hurt, yes, in that situation, the fans should second guess.

Sanchez had a better first two years starting despite the much steeper learning curve. He started half the games Brees did in school, and Brees had a year to sit on the sidelines and learn in the NFL.

I really don't get your complaint. Instead, I get the feeling you're just trying to set us up for some exciting I told you so posts in the future - when Sanchez is trying to get on the same page with three new WR's without the benefit of an offseason. Can't wait!

Sanchez had a better first two years starting despite the much steeper learning curve. He started half the games Brees did in school, and Brees had a year to sit on the sidelines and learn in the NFL.

I really don't get your complaint. Instead, I get the feeling you're just trying to set us up for some exciting I told you so posts in the future - when Sanchez is trying to get on the same page with three new WR's without the benefit of an offseason. Can't wait!

They both had the same handicap of learning under Schottenheimers.

for at least a quarter. I know Coaching for Dummies, Chapter 4 says you don't play starters in the last pre-season game. But I don't think the authors of the yellow and black book took into account an entire off-season of OTAs and mini-camps wiped out by a lock out. The offense is terribly out of sync. They desperately need more work. And the 53 man roster is pretty locked up. Don't need to see the 27 obvious cuts run around for 60 minutes. Think outside of the box, Rex.

Now, if he does not want to play them for risk of injury playing Thursday night after a Monday night game, I could understand that. But that is not the reason. The reason is Coaching for Dummies, Chapter 4 says you don't play starters in the last pre-season game. I love Rex, but GOD, people in football are really dumb.

Agree 100 %

Archived