Is Shonn Greene going to be good or what?

Matt39

Some want to knock the Jets o-line around here but there is one thing that I'm convinced of. The run blocking will still be really good for the Jets. So yes I see Greene getting 1,100 yards.

I think the offensive line will be fine, but IMO Hunter is a downgrade in run blocking from Woody. Also, with the abbreviated camp, injuries to Mangold and Moore, it might take some time to get rolling.

I've picked him up in many of my fantasy teams and hope that they are able to churn out a running attack early and often. He's got the ability to rush for just over 1000 yards and be a work horse, but I hope he can stay healthy and hold on to the ball. For some odd reason though I see them taking a RB early next year (2nd round) to compliment him and make McKnight the 3rd down back. Greene's biggest downfall though is he has minimal receiving abilities.

I don't think the line is a very good at run blocking to be honest. Its been declining the last few years so I don't think any running back is going to be ultra productive for us.

Wha-wha-what? Its been declining over the last few years? Over the last 2 years, nobody has had a better run game than the Jets and its not because Thomas Jones and LT are unstoppable....its because we have one of if not the best run blocking Olines in the league.

If healthy, Greene should take full advantage of it.

Wha-wha-what? Its been declining over the last few years? Over the last 2 years, nobody has had a better run game than the Jets and its not because Thomas Jones and LT are unstoppable....its because we have one of if not the best run blocking Olines in the league.

If healthy, Greene should take full advantage of it.

Well in 2009 the Jets were #1 overall in rushing, in 2010 they were #4. Lets see where we finish this year, my guess is outside the top 10. There was also a 30+ yard per game difference between 2009 and 2010.

Well in 2009 the Jets were #1 overall in rushing, in 2010 they were #4. Lets see where we finish this year, my guess is outside the top 10. There was also a 30+ yard per game difference between 2009 and 2010.

This is true. However, maybe you should consider how many times we rushed the ball in 2009 compared to 2010? It was a significant difference as Sanchez attempted nearly 150 more passes (I'm not looking at stats but I'd assume that would impact our number of rush attempts). That said, still being top 5 with that big of a difference in attempts is actually at testament to how effective our run attack is because of our Oline.

The bottom line is the NY Jets have one of the best Olines in the league. IMO - its the best unit on the Jets. And I highly doubt that this team falls outside the top 10 in rushing considering what they did last season with less attempts, Slauson at RG in his 2nd year instead of Faneca and Greene should be an upgrade from LT in terms of straight running from the LOS.

Where are you seeing "declining the last few years"?

Went from something less than 4 for sure (I dunno what, don't care) to #1 (huge improvement) to #4 (extremely small regression).

If I were a FF kinda guy, I would not pick up Shonn Greene. Jets do the RB by committee thing with a large committee. I suspect Greene will struggle to get 1000 yards (which is BS in a 16 game season, anyway), being ineffective as a receiver, and often off the field in the red zone.

As a team, the running game will still be a top 5 unit.

This is true. However, maybe you should consider how many times we rushed the ball in 2009 compared to 2010? It was a significant difference as Sanchez attempted nearly 150 more passes (I'm not looking at stats but I'd assume that would impact our number of rush attempts). That said, still being top 5 with that big of a difference in attempts is actually at testament to how effective our run attack is because of our Oline.

The bottom line is the NY Jets have one of the best Olines in the league. IMO - its the best unit on the Jets. And I highly doubt that this team falls outside the top 10 in rushing considering what they did last season with less attempts, Slauson at RG in his 2nd year instead of Faneca and Greene should be an upgrade from LT in terms of straight running from the LOS.

Greene should have been an upgrade from Thomas Jones in terms of straight running from the LOS. In FF terms he wasn't. I think the line and the running game will be fine, but Greene has a tendency to get hurt, can't catch and now will split time with 3 other backs.

The O-line can be considered a little suspect because Moore is coming off of hip surgery and in the limited time he's been back he hasn't looked very good. Mangold was dinged and didn't get much time and Hunter has said himself that Woody was a better run blocker. More importantly Ducasse has underwhelmed and they don't have another guy that was on the roster as recently as Thursday. It's not like last year when there were 5 known solid starters, Turner and Hunter ready to step in with no drop off and a 2nd round pick waiting in the wings.

Greene should have been an upgrade from Thomas Jones in terms of straight running from the LOS. In FF terms he wasn't. I think the line and the running game will be fine, but Greene has a tendency to get hurt, can't catch and now will split time with 3 other backs.

The O-line can be considered a little suspect because Moore is coming off of hip surgery and in the limited time he's been back he hasn't looked very good. Mangold was dinged and didn't get much time and Hunter has said himself that Woody was a better run blocker. More importantly Ducasse has underwhelmed and they don't have another guy that was on the roster as recently as Thursday. It's not like last year when there were 5 known solid starters, Turner and Hunter ready to step in with no drop off and a 2nd round pick waiting in the wings.

In all fairness, Jones couldn't catch either unless he stopped running altogether.

I don't know that anyone is a noticeable receiving downgrade from Thomas Jones.

Exactly. The Jets ran the ball 73 less times in 2010 than 2009, and ran for 382 less yards, going from 1st to 4th in the league.

Meanwhile, the Jets passed the ball 132 more times in 2010 than 2009 for an additional 862 yards, to go from 31st to 22nd in the league in passing.

So yeah, call me crazy, but just because the Jets didn't lead the league in rush attempts and rushing yards isn't exactly telling me that the Jets OL suddenly is going to be a problem in the running game.

Might have something to do with the fact that we threw the ball about 120 times more. Just a thought, especially considering the YPC was about the same.

Exactly. The Jets ran the ball 73 less times in 2010 than 2009, and ran for 382 less yards, going from 1st to 4th in the league.

Meanwhile, the Jets passed the ball 132 more times in 2010 than 2009 for an additional 862 yards, to go from 31st to 22nd in the league in passing.

So yeah, call me crazy, but just because the Jets didn't lead the league in rush attempts and rushing yards isn't exactly telling me that the Jets OL suddenly is going to be a problem in the running game.

I hate being late to the party. It makes me feel less smart/oh-so-witty. Now where is that damn thesaurus.

Archived