Jets cut Mardy Gilyard

flylikeajet

Per Manish

Edit: Mardy.. My bad

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

#Jets replacement for WR Mardy Gilyard on the 53-man roster will be a defensive player, per source. #nyj

https://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream...00597113405440

Logan Payne said he hopes the cast can come off next week at some point.

http://twitter.com/#!/ConorTOrr

Mehta:

I’m hearing that #Jets may elevate cornerback Isaiah Trufant from the practice squad to replace Mardy Gilyard on the 53-man roster. #nyj

lol, talk about a letdown:

#Jets will elevate cornerback Isaiah Trufant from the practice squad to replace WR Mardy Gilyard on the 53-man roster, per source. #nyj

#Jets will elevate cornerback Isaiah Trufant from the practice squad to replace WR Mardy Gilyard on the 53-man roster, per source.

https://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream

Well when you can't generate a pass rush you need all the CBs you can get...

#Jets will elevate cornerback Isaiah Trufant from the practice squad to replace WR Mardy Gilyard on the 53-man roster, per source. #nyj

A bit anti-climactic.

LOL I'm officially done getting sorta hyped about possible underperforming one time college studs who may be diamonds in the rough. Maybin, Gilyard. Ezra Butler, Rodrique Wright, Caulrick, Kareem Brown, Ahmad Carroll, Andre Woolfolk, Michael Haynes, Donavan Warren, Gilbert etc etc. It just never really works out how you dream it.

Guy got cut from the Rams. At WR that's pretty much the definition of suck. Trufant is a guy that can play, but he's teeny tiny. Too bad. I was hoping that they might give Maybin another shot.

Maybin was the first guy I thought of when I saw the thread title. Still think he might be back unless someone else signs him.

LOL I'm officially done getting sorta hyped about possible underperforming one time college studs who may be diamonds in the rough. Maybin, Gilyard. Ezra Butler, Rodrique Wright, Caulrick, Kareem Brown, Ahmad Carroll, Andre Woolfolk, Michael Haynes, Donavan Warren, Gilbert etc etc. It just never really works out how you dream it.

LOL I know what you mean . I'm a sucker for em. I like that the FO does it though. Maybe if they kiss enough frogs...Well you know. Makes the off season a bit more exciting

I was hoping this was to bring Gilbert back up.

He'd have been a good choice also. I guess they want more DBs than DLinemen this week. I'm surprised that GIlbert is still practice squad eligible.

Maybin was the first guy I thought of when I saw the thread title. Still think he might be back unless someone else signs him.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that Maybin has no practice squad eligibility, so it may be some time before he signs.

This is just dumb. They cut a player to claim Gilyard, only to let him go 6 days later. Makes no sense.

Why? They always do stuff like this. Should they keep this stiff around just because they cut some other stiff? If they think they made a mistake why not fix it now? If Gilyard was worse than Patrick Turner, or even worse just dogging it in practice, I'm glad they cut him now.

maybe the cowboys or jags were going to sign trufant off of the PS ?

Are you suggesting them because they have sh*tty secondaries or because we play them the first two weeks? You could do better than Trufant to get the playbook because he's only been on the team since Philly cut him during final cuts. He was here for a bit in 2010. Either could probably have had Trufant with a waiver claim last week ahead of the Jets.

Are you suggesting them because they have sh*tty secondaries or because we play them the first two weeks? You could do better than Trufant to get the playbook because he's only been on the team since Philly cut him during final cuts. He was here for a bit in 2010. Either could probably have had Trufant with a waiver claim last week ahead of the Jets.

just throwing it out there. he has seen the gameplan for dallas

maybe the cowboys or jags were going to sign trufant off of the PS ?

Cowboys are not allowed to sign any players from the Jets PS at this point. Jags could, but as already pointed out they would grab another that was here all year first. I think the Jets just didnt like what they saw from Gilyard and elevated Trufant to have more special teams guys. Outside chance the Jets could plan on using more blitzing from the secondary.

Cowboys are not allowed to sign any players from the Jets PS at this point. Jags could, but as already pointed out they would grab another that was here all year first. I think the Jets just didnt like what they saw from Gilyard and elevated Trufant to have more special teams guys. Outside chance the Jets could plan on using more blitzing from the secondary.

yeah I was just guessing anyway. to me it really is more about them figuring they are going to pound dallas with the run game, so the extra WR is expendable. isn't gilyard a ST guy as well ? meh, not going to get to into it with the scrubs

watch trufant be inactive on game day

lol

Nah, Gilyard looked great gunning on ST's over the summer for St. Louis. I'd imagine they took a look at him to elevate some of the pressure off of E. Smith in that regard since B. Smith is gone and he's the only elite-level one left on the roster. Obv he didn't impress enough.

Add Andre Wadsworth to that list.

This is just dumb. They cut a player to claim Gilyard, only to let him go 6 days later. Makes no sense.

Actually they always do this kind of stuff SMC. They will juggle between 10 players or so, signing one to the PS then cutting them and then resigning them a few weeks later

Actually they always do this kind of stuff SMC. They will juggle between 10 players or so, signing one to the PS then cutting them and then resigning them a few weeks later

Hence why i barely pay attention to it anymore. It just gets frustrating....the highs and lows of following 3rd string, fringe, bench players.

No seriously lol, I was pretty excited about signing Gilyard too.

Hence why i barely pay attention to it anymore. It just gets frustrating....the highs and lows of following 3rd string, fringe, bench players.

No seriously lol, I was pretty excited about signing Gilyard too.

I feel just the opposite. Sure, if you think one of these guys is going to end up being Jim Plunkett leading us the promised land and is a future super bowl MVP you are bound to be frustrated. OTOH, these guys often end up helping the team. The Jets roster is strong enough that capable players are often cut. Remember the Clowney/Woodhead cuts last season? Trufant himself was active and saw some time down the stretch and against the Colts and Pats in the playoffs. Pitoitua is now will be splitting time close to 50-50 with Wilkerson at DE and I have some fairly high hopes for Cumberland.

I feel just the opposite. Sure, if you think one of these guys is going to end up being Jim Plunkett leading us the promised land and is a future super bowl MVP you are bound to be frustrated. OTOH, these guys often end up helping the team. The Jets roster is strong enough that capable players are often cut. Remember the Clowney/Woodhead cuts last season? Trufant himself was active and saw some time down the stretch and against the Colts and Pats in the playoffs. Pitoitua is now will be splitting time close to 50-50 with Wilkerson at DE and I have some fairly high hopes for Cumberland.

No, I'm specifically talking about ex-college stars or high draft picks cut by other teams who the Jets then sign off waivers. Those guys, never work out to even being good it seems.

Pitoitua and Trufant weren't necessarily household names prior. They're a nice story if they can contribute. Pito especially. But not exactly what I meant.

No, I'm specifically talking about ex-college stars or high draft picks cut by other teams who the Jets then sign off waivers. Those guys, never work out to even being good it seems.

Pitoitua and Trufant weren't necessarily household names prior. They're a nice story if they can contribute. Pito especially. But not exactly what I meant.

Fair enough. I treat them all the same. Small school guys. Big time busts. The back of the roster is interesting to me. You mentioned Gilbert. Well, the Jets put in a waiver claim on Gilbert last year. Then they rescinded it when Marcus Dixon became available and later added Gilbert to the practice squad. Marcus Dixon was a fairly big time prospect before he got sidetracked with that conviction for rape/consensual sex, he said-she said that had racial connotations. He lost his scholarship to Vanderbilt and ended up at Hampton. The way that place is kicking out defensive linemen the switch in schools may have been for the best. Similar deal with Abram Elam. He was at Notre Dame, but got convicted of sexual assault for being present during an alleged rape. He ended up at Kent State and the victim smeared him at a few stops and contributed to him not getting a fair shake as an UFA at a few stops.

Fair enough. I treat them all the same. Small school guys. Big time busts. The back of the roster is interesting to me. You mentioned Gilbert. Well, the Jets put in a waiver claim on Gilbert last year. Then they rescinded it when Marcus Dixon became available and later added Gilbert to the practice squad. Marcus Dixon was a fairly big time prospect before he got sidetracked with that conviction for rape/consensual sex, he said-she said that had racial connotations. He lost his scholarship to Vanderbilt and ended up at Hampton. The way that place is kicking out defensive linemen the switch in schools may have been for the best. Similar deal with Abram Elam. He was at Notre Dame, but got convicted of sexual assault for being present during an alleged rape. He ended up at Kent State and the victim smeared him at a few stops and contributed to him not getting a fair shake as an UFA at a few stops.

Gilbert definitely interests me, as if there's anything nobody can question is that Rex Ryan knows his DL, perhaps better than anyone, and while Gilbert hasn't been able to really crack through yet, it tells you something that Rex keeps him around. While the Jets DL may not be filled with a lot of known names for people who aren't Jets fans, he's stuck behind some pretty talented people. Outside of the 3 starters, you've only got 3 other DL on the roster, which include a draft pick this year in Ellis, Pitoitua who it has been obvious ever since Hard Knocks last year that Rex loves, and Dixon who was the guy they claimed over Gilbert, and was pretty much the first guy off the bench last year, and has looked pretty damn good this summer. When you consider a guy like MTV was started at NT the last three games of this preseason and didn't make the final cut, it tells you something about what Rex thinks of the DL guys he's even willing to keep around on the PS.

As far as your point about those types of players, I agree with you. While some of the big names may not have worked out, I'm always happy to see these UDFA pickups that become good players for the team, and in some cases even pretty damn good starters (see: DeVito, Mike). It's just one of those scenarios that reflects well on everyone, the player, GM, coaches, etc. No reason not to be happy about that.

Archived