New York Jets Report Card: Week 1

JetNation

report_card.gif

Week 1 – 9/11/11

Dallas Cowboys @ New York Jets

JetLife Stadium

Quarterbacks: C+

Mark Sanchez: 26/44, 335 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 1 fumble

Once again, Sanchez showed a bit of Jekyll and a bit of Hyde. Two costly turnovers – a near pick six and a fumble in the fourth quarter could have cost the Jets the game. Still, his completion percentage was decent and 12 yards per catch is reasonable. He certainly performs better when the game is on the line, and the coaching staff needs to help him get off to a better start. The fact that he couldn’t further exploit a wounded Cowboys secondary is a bad sign – but hang on, he will be just fine.

Running Backs: C

Shonn Greene: 10 carries, 26 yards. 1 catch, 7 yards.

LaDainian Tomlinson: 5 carries, 16 yards. 6 catches, 73 yards.

The running backs didn’t have many opportunities on the ground; Rex employed a pass-first offense. A rushing average of less than 3 yards is worrisome, but Tomlinson’s 73 yards through the air led the team – that alone earns the C grade.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: A-

Santonio Holmes: 6 catches, 70 yards

Plaxico Burress: 4 catches, 72 yards, 1 TD

Dustin Keller: 5 catches, 61 yards, 1 TD

Derrick Mason was a non-factor, but Dustin Keller was a reliable target in the receiving game. Burress struggled with timing, but flashed with a back shoulder touchdown catch. Holmes’ night was quieter than it looks, but still effective.

Offensive Line: D

Cowboys LB Ware seemingly beat everyone on the line; Wayne Hunter looked lost at times. The line allowed 4 sacks and never got the running game going. They should return to form.

Defensive Line: C-

The defensive line generated pressure, yet they rarely sealed the deal. Jets DE Mike DeVito made the play of the game, forcing a Romo fumble on the Jets 1 yard line.

Linebackers: C

Scott and Pace added a sack, but for the most part, the linebackers struggled to close in on the quarterback. And of course, coverage is a word that does not exist in their dictionary.

Secondary: D+

When you think of the Jets, two strengths that come to mind are the secondary and the offensive line. Interestingly, they were able to win this game despite the struggles of both of those units. Darelle Revis finally looked human for a change, but still made a couple key plays including a interception late in the 4th quarter. Judging by my eyes, Antonio Cromartie had a decent game but the stat-line on paper? Woeful. Eric Smith has no business being on the field unless he’s smashing opponents, which he didn’t do tonight. The Jets struggled to cover the middle of the field, and paid dearly for it. I don’t recall seeing Kyle Wilson get burned despite playing several downs, so that’s a good thing at least.

Special Teams: A+

Speaking of surprises, two of the stars of this game were Nick Folk (who hit the game winning 50 yard field goal), and Joe McKnight (blocked a punt in the 4th quarter that was returned for a touchdown by Isaiah Trufant.) How’s that for a surprise? Punter T.J. Conley looked alright, putting 2 of his 6 punts within the 20.

Coaching: B-

Coaching is probably the toughest position to grade, but here’s the bottom line: win, and you’ll tend to end up on the plus side of “C” as far as I’m concerned. There were definitely problems here: the team looked unprepared in the 1st half and the offensive gameplan was sub-par. Nevertheless, when it was all over Rex’s strengths shone: grit and determination. They say a team adapts the personality of its head coach, and this game was a good example of that.

Up next: Week 2: Jacksonville Jaguars @ New York Jets.

di</img>di</img>

683IfXXO5Qk

View the full article

Tomlinson playd as well as anyone on offense.

Problem withg the offense is they barely showed up for the first quarter and a half. We had 3 of first 4 drives as 3 and outs. No prolbem "establishing the run" nonsense. But you are allowed to run wide. The offense consisted early mosttly of running Greene up the middle. And passing might work a whole bunch better if you passed when it wasn't out of desperation and gave the opponent some guesswork.Al;so, it's no secret Ware is a great pass rushed, yet we played the whole 1st half watching him eat Hunter alive and didn't give him much help. Get the sense Schitty is so into what ever the eff he's doing he doesn't adjust until Rex reams him out at half.

Felt like Romo had all night. But stat sheet shows 4 sacsk. If you get that every week, that's fine.

Revis looked human for a change? He was in full beast mode last night...

Yeah no Kidding ...as soon as the Jets Switched him to Dez Bryant (other than one catch) Dez' night was over. Also the running game never got started because the Jets rack up most of their rushing yards in close games or with a lead. The O-Line was sloppy last night for sure but they are suffering from short camp more than anyone me thinks. They will get better as the year goes on for sure. Sanchez was under pressure the whole game until we went NO HUDDLE :) .

I thought revis had a good game. I think he was charged with 2 catches....one was a big gain. The other a 1st down. And he came out for a few plays....cramping.

Otherwise he had a great pass defended in.a big spot. And the int of the disguised coverage made the win possible.

Dez Bryant looked like he was going to have a monster game the way he started out. Then he was sent to Revis Island and was bascially never heard from again except for the one pass he outjumped Revis for.

I thought the coaching staff did a nice job going to a shorter passing (actually both the Jets and Cowboys) made that adjustment. In a game where the Cowboys had so many DB's down you HAD to throw the ball against them.

The Jets though really do have to elimiates these slow starts. Maybe go no huddle earlier in the game, just to get Sanchez rolling.

Great friggin win. I can't remember a Jets team that has been able to pull as many games out of the fire as Rex's teams have the past couple of years.

Dez Bryant looked like he was going to have a monster game the way he started out. Then he was sent to Revis Island and was bascially never heard from again except for the one pass he outjumped Revis for.

yes, dez cramped up and was suddenly covered by a much better corner. i don't think dez is mentally tough and couldn't fight through the cramp and handle the adversity of things not coming as easily as it did to him first quarter.

yes, dez cramped up and was suddenly covered by a much better corner. i don't think dez is mentally tough and couldn't fight through the cramp and handle the adversity of things not coming as easily as it did to him first quarter.

Revis was mugging him all over the field and in his face and Dez could not deal with the tables being turned. Revis is one Tough dude hes not your typical skinny corner that Dez would usually Mug .

Revis was mugging him all over the field and in his face and Dez could not deal with the tables being turned. Revis is one Tough dude hes not your typical skinny corner that Dez would usually Mug .

agree. in the first quarter dez looked like a cyborg comprised from the best parts of lesser football players. if he can mature no one in the league can shut him down.

agree. in the first quarter dez looked like a cyborg comprised from the best parts of lesser football players. if he can mature no one in the league can shut him down.

With the talent he has he can easily be one of the elite in this league. I have a feeling once the cowboys settle down and have more time under Robs defense they are going to be a really tough team to beat. Only thing they seem to lack is a pure Running back. Felix Jones seems like more a thrid down receiving type back than an actual runner/

With the talent he has he can easily be one of the elite in this league. I have a feeling once the cowboys settle down and have more time under Robs defense they are going to be a really tough team to beat. Only thing they seem to lack is a pure Running back. Felix Jones seems like more a thrid down receiving type back than an actual runner/

Their offense could be elite but they are gonna have a tough year if their secondary is in shambles. Having dez, Austin, Witten and Jones catching balls is pretty scary thought. Jones looked much better catching the ball rather than running it.

The entire oline was horrible. I am not worried about Hunter. He was solid the end of last year and thru the playoffs - Ware does that to everyone, including D'Brick. They need to get that solved. What is the deal with Mason? Polio? He trips over himself and fell down all night. And we still don't have a safety who can cover the field. Pace looks healthy and Bryan Thomas must have a contract coming due or something. Bart Scott was great.

Their offense could be elite but they are gonna have a tough year if their secondary is in shambles. Having dez, Austin, Witten and Jones catching balls is pretty scary thought. Jones looked much better catching the ball rather than running it.

Your right but they have an Ace in the hole ..... Awesome pass rush which makes ordinary DB's much better. Problem is, that will win them a lot of games until they run into the stout O-Lines in the playoffs that can deal with their rush which will eventually expose the glaring weakness. Just like last night when we started to actully protect Sanchez in the No Huddle and the Cowboys had to actully react we burned them alive. Cowboys lose alot of games in the 4th quarter but the two DB's that are hurt will be back so they could be really dangerous if they can stay healthy

Does anyone have a stat about or redzone offense? I was just curious cause heading into he season their was a lot of scrutiny about our redzone offense not executing 30 out of 50 trips or something. It looked much better this game and woulda been even better had mason caught that easy TD.

I believe we scored 24 TD out of 50 trips into the redzone last year. That was 30th in the NFl I believe. That number needs to be in the Mid 30s or at least the lower 30's

Exactly. The mental fatigue associated with having Revis essentially bully him added to the physical fatigue proved too much for the young fella. Revis island is open for teh business....bitches!!

Secondary: D+

When you think of the Jets, two strengths that come to mind are the secondary and the offensive line. Interestingly, they were able to win this game despite the struggles of both of those units. Darelle Revis finally looked human for a change, but still made a couple key plays including a interception late in the 4th quarter. Judging by my eyes, Antonio Cromartie had a decent game but the stat-line on paper? Woeful. Eric Smith has no business being on the field unless he’s smashing opponents, which he didn’t do tonight. The Jets struggled to cover the middle of the field, and paid dearly for it. I don’t recall seeing Kyle Wilson get burned despite playing several downs, so that’s a good thing at least.

Despite the hate he's gotten around here the past week or so for a really bad game to finish up the preseason, until Revis' pick at the end of the game, Wilson was the Jets best CB on the field. He had himself a really nice game, and even had to step in into the starting spots multiple times as both Revis and Cromartie had to come off the field. One other item of props you have to give for the secondary though is after Smith was completely toasted by Witten, Leonhard's TD-saving tackle was amazingly huge, as it allowed for DeVito's forced fumble.

to be fair, the refs called a very loose game. the db's on both teams were able to manhandle the receivers all night. they showed one replay from different angles, showing why sanchez had no place to throw. all of the jets receivers were in one form of a choke hold or another.hell, one db had keller in a bear hug. on the flip side, they never called revis,either, for all of him pushing and shoving beyond the 5 yard marker

to be fair, the refs called a very loose game. the db's on both teams were able to manhandle the receivers all night. they showed one replay from different angles, showing why sanchez had no place to throw. all of the jets receivers were in one form of a choke hold or another.hell, one db had keller in a bear hug. on the flip side, they never called revis,either, for all of him pushing and shoving beyond the 5 yard marker

And that's how it should be. Let them fight and shove a little. Stop trying to pussify the whole game and make WR's basically untouchable. Make them fight for it.

The offensive line looked bad. Like, huge red flag bad. Maybe it was just Ware doing what he does to everyone, but I'm worried. Sanchez has been pretty pampered the last two years with the line being as good as it has been. I still think this team needs to run to set up the pass and the fact that the passing game was still pretty middling against the Cowboys 4th and 5th corners doesn't do much to change that.

Archived