Jamaal Westerman.....Lets Discuss

JonEJet

Zero tackles

Zero Sacks

Zero impact

I watched the man closely last night, and his suckness really stood out. Now I hate being negative about a win, but the lack of an edge rusher is what is hurting this defense. We've been grooming this guy, and last night was his time to shine, against a young offensive line,

All I saw was a glorified specials guy, with no moves whatsoever.

Sorry for being negative about a great Jets win

I think Rex's comments during the preseason about Westerman being the "DPR" kind of put the microscope on what is basically an average backup player. If Rex doesn't say that, we're really not paying much attention and he's doing about what we expect him to do. Because Rex said that, we suddenly expect more from him and think he sucks when he doesnt perform at top level. Put it another way, Westerman is basically a Marquise Cole at LB.

I agree 100% he did nothing, our D line can not get off blocks at all. The shinny new 1st round pick can not get off a block and go after a QB for sh*t also.

sorry mang, mo looked very good for his first live action. uses his long arms well and gets off blocks at the point of attack. As for pass rush, I expected to see a much better result against a makeshift Oline like the cowboys put on the field last night...

Chicks like cowboys

We have Calvin Pace 100% healthy and ready to go this year. We'll be just fine rushing the quarterback from the outside because of Pace himself.

Anything that Bryan Thomas and Jamaal Westerman can combine for will be considered as an added bounus. Pace put up 3 tackles and a sack last night.

The Jets as a defensive unit had 4 sacks against the Cowboys. As of right now, we rank 5th in sacks with 4. Only ATL, Philly, San Fran and Chicago put up 5 sacks during week one. We averaged 2.5 sacks per game last season and ended up with only 2 sacks during our week 1 game against the Ravens last year. We're off to a much better start.

Sacks are sometimes overrated, but we put plenty of pressure on Tony Romo last night. We'll be just fine in terms of rushing the passer from the outside this year. Calvin Pace being 100% healthy is huge. Pace has to be one of the most underrated pass rushers in the league.

I'm pretty sure he was the player in pursuit as the right end on Romo's INT to Revis...or it was the attempt to Bryant that Revis broke up, but I do remember him getting some pressure.

He did get a couple of pressures, but some people go on record as not liking someone and are delighted that one game, in their minds, proves their negative assessment. Notice the sound of cricket music coming from Joe McKnights' haters who already deemed him a bust when he threw up in training camp last year.

You're correct, Westerman was the pass rusher who forced Romo to roll out. It wasn't until Romo seen Westerman fly past his LT, that he decided to roll out right and throw on the run. Look at the speed burst off the line, Westerman will make alot of plays this year. He's a pass rusher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yi-Flt42qM&feature=player_embedded

Westerman was also involved on the punt block...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbq9NPQj9-A&feature=player_embedded

Romo rolling out? How about make a fu@king play Jamaal

If all you care about are "stats", yeah, Westerman didn't make a play. But, without Westerman blowing by the LT in under 1 second, Romo would have never rolled out, therefore Revis would have never came up with that game changing INT. Westerman flushed Romo to the right, which is a fact.

If all you care about are "stats", yeah, Westerman didn't make a play. But, without Westerman blowing by the LT in under 1 second, Romo would have never rolled out, therefore Revis would have never came up with that game changing INT. Westerman flushed Romo to the right, which is a fact.

Dude, I hope you're right about the guy. Believe me, I'm rooting for the guy

Just skeptical, that's all. I try not to be an apologist

I'm with Boozer. The fact that Rex brought up a DPR position and annointed Westerman is what causes the problem. I actually thought he looked pretty lively rushing the passer last night. Think of him as somebody in the rotation to keep Pace and Thomas fresh you might feel a little better about him. Sort of the way everybody feels about Pitoitua. I think a guy like Maybin would be a legit candidate for DPR,as in he can't do anything but rush the passer, but Westerman is just a backup OLB. Personally I thought McIntyre was better pass rusher in the preseason while Westerman was a better LB. I imagine Gilbert will be the first one back if the cut anybody.

Not saying this guy is the answer, but he might be better than Westerman

Free agent OLB/DE Tully Banta-Cain is scheduled to visit the Jets Tuesday, a source tells Scout.com.

The Raiders put Banta-Cain through a physical last week and his surgically repaired abdomen muscle passed. Once up to game speed, the ex-Patriot could give the Jets' pass rush a boost off the edge -- he has 14.5 sacks over his last 31 games. They wouldn't have to guarantee Banta-Cain's contract for the season if he's signed this week.

Could Jamaal be on the hot seat? I think so

Not saying this guy is the answer, but he might be better than Westerman

Free agent OLB/DE Tully Banta-Cain is scheduled to visit the Jets Tuesday, a source tells Scout.com.

The Raiders put Banta-Cain through a physical last week and his surgically repaired abdomen muscle passed. Once up to game speed, the ex-Patriot could give the Jets' pass rush a boost off the edge -- he has 14.5 sacks over his last 31 games. They wouldn't have to guarantee Banta-Cain's contract for the season if he's signed this week.

I hadn't seen that about Banta-Cain coming in. If they are bringing him in somebody's job in in danger. Could be Westerman. I had hoped he would make it as a pass rusher, but I just haven't seen it from him

We need a Pass rusher. With a pass rusher, our Defense doesn't have to worry about deep routes from the TEs. Without a pass rusher, Brady et al. will destroy the Jets Safeties with TE seam routes. I just hope we can find a way to create pressure...4 sacks is great but we cannot expect that every game from teams that have their O-line in better shape than what the Cowboys had.

LL

Why would Westerman be on the hot seat? He's obviously ahead of McIntyre and a very good special teams player.

that was totally gandolfini

Of course it was Gandolfini. Doesn't he have season tickets?

We need a Pass rusher. With a pass rusher, our Defense doesn't have to worry about deep routes from the TEs. Without a pass rusher, Brady et al. will destroy the Jets Safeties with TE seam routes. I just hope we can find a way to create pressure...4 sacks is great but we cannot expect that every game from teams that have their O-line in better shape than what the Cowboys had.

LL

Just like last year in the playoffs? If the o puts up some points we will be tough to beat

Thank FL

I would anticipate that A. Sendejo will be cut this week. Maybe Maybin come back or a practice squader is elevated. Who know some of those young linebackers will surprise us! Send Nick Bellore after Luke this week!

They may cut Sendejo, but what is Bellore going to do? He is an ilb. You want to sit Scott or Harris? Besides, Mauga is ahead of him and Mauga doesn't see the field

Why would Westerman be on the hot seat? He's obviously ahead of McIntyre and a very good special teams player.

Of course it was Gandolfini. Doesn't he have season tickets?

Just like last year in the playoffs? If the o puts up some points we will be tough to beat

They may cut Sendejo, but what is Bellore going to do? He is an ilb. You want to sit Scott or Harris? Besides, Mauga is ahead of him and Mauga doesn't see the field

Maybe Banta Tully Cain is going to sign....he is at the faciltiy

Archived