Let's Be Honest about Eric Smith

Latinlawyer

I like Eric Smith...He is a huge hitter but...

HE CANNOT COVER IN SPACE. The Guy was getting eaten up by Whitten and Phillips...the TEs. You can imagine that if I am NE or Mia or Buf I am saying....ERIC SMITH IS A WEAK LINK...THROW AT THE WR/TE/RB that is being covered by Eric.

Eric may be a good ST player but there is no way he is a starting Safety.

Sorry Eric, but you can still play ST.

LL

Whoever is the better cover safety that is who we need to start. Eric...great hitter but you can't hit what you can't catch. So please, Put Eric on ST and keep a cover safety on the Tight Ends. Whitten beat us with over 100 yards in catches...

LL

Believe me, NE Pats have two really good TEs and if I am them I destroy the Jets by attacking Eric Smith. Or go for Jump balls against Jimmy Leonard. Please Start Pool and Leonard.

Whoever is the better cover safety that is who we need to start. Eric...great hitter but you can't hit what you can't catch. So please, Put Eric on ST and keep a cover safety on the Tight Ends. Whitten beat us with over 100 yards in catches...

LL

Believe me, NE Pats have two really good TEs and if I am them I destroy the Jets by attacking Eric Smith. Or go for Jump balls against Jimmy Leonard. Please Start Pool and Leonard.

They had two really good TE's last season and the Jets still had Eric Smith and still:

9199686-standard.jpg

He mad.

I love the idea of using Eric Smith on 1st downs (against run-first teams) or on 3rd and short situations, because we're able to use Eric Smith as a Safety/LB hybrid. A couple of things about Smith, he can hit hard and play the run strongly, but he lacks the overall speed and quickness to have solid success against the pass for the most part. I'd love to see a lot more of Pool in obvious passing situations, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Pool become our starter over Smith sooner rather than later. Still, Eric Smith does bring a lot to our defense and come playoff time, where teams need to establish the run during bad weather games with cold, wind, rain, snow, etc, etc... That's when we'll get the most out of Eric Smith.

I really don't want this to sound racist. But I don't think I am the only one that is concerned that this team is starting two white safeties. :winking0001: It is at least one too many.

Wow!!!! If you weren't black, I'd say this is just an observation, but given the reverse discrimination that you've thrown out here, I'm offended!

And there's no way this will ever bite us in the a$$, with such a stellar group of coverage linebackers and a dearth of athletic, pass-catching TE's in the league...

Yeah, who needs a safety that can cover? Seems like a total waste. I mean, there's definitely no correlation between Leonhards injury and the subsequent a$$ beating the Pats put on the Jets last year.

And there was definitely nothing behind the fact that Smith learned how to cover for a 3 game stretch in the playoffs that would have led to road victories vs. Manning and Brady and then completely shutting down Big Ben.

None of that had anything to do with safeties covering well.

Bottom line is that in the Playoff game against the Pats last year, Only Gronk was available as a TE the other one (Hernandez) was out due to injury. This year, the PATS will scheme to attack E. Smith with their TEs.

Sorry Eric but you should be a situational player.

Also, Chad Ochocinco is more like Chad OchoSTINKO....he looks confused out there and its clear that Brady does not target him.

I can see the Pats trying to use the TEs in the next meeting...

We need to integrate Pool in there so we can provide some coverage on these TEs.

LL

We need to integrate Pool in there so we can provide some coverage on these TEs.

let me reiterate, Pool is not a coverage upgrade over Smith. they are both hitters first and foremost.

think about it Rex gets rid of Kerry Rhodes, an awesome coverage S who can't really tackle. he gets rid of Dwight Lowery a converted corner who specializes in coverage

i dont think Rex has a role for the 'coverage' player. He wants to blitz a bunch of dudes and let the coverage be damned.

let me reiterate, Pool is not a coverage upgrade over Smith. they are both hitters first and foremost.

think about it Rex gets rid of Kerry Rhodes, an awesome coverage S who can't really tackle. he gets rid of Dwight Lowery a converted corner who specializes in coverage

i dont think Rex has a role for the 'coverage' player. He wants to blitz a bunch of dudes and let the coverage be damned.

Yeah, because his scheme is that simple. Give me a break. Calling Kerry Rhodes "awesome" in coverage is an extreme overexaggeration at best.

Yes, Rex prefers safeties who can tackle because he also values run defense highly, which is why that vagina Rhodes was given away. That doesn't mean he doesn't want safeties who can cover; we just haven't been able to use an early draft pick or FA dollars to get one who can do both. Sometimes we forget that Jim Leonhard can do both.

If you think Rex doesn't value safeties who can cover, just ask him what he thought of Ed Reed.

Archived