Can someone who understands football explain why we didnt kick the field goal?

Matt39

Right, that's my point. Not sure why you're harping on me for this when I've admitted it several times over. Option Folk vs Option El Guapo are so astronomically different that the latter isn't worth considering. Res ipsa loquitur. You saw what happened with the latter. Better to put yourself in a position to get the second score than eliminating it altogether.

In the time remaining, they aren't scoring a TD after that even if the chip-shot FG is successful. That is the entire point.

I almost wish we could go back in time to watch Folk miss another 20-yard FG so I would be even more justified in funneling liquid feces into your mouth.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the time remaining, they aren't scoring a TD after that even if the chip-shot FG is successful. That is the entire point.

I think the entire point is that Sanchez is so bad that it doesn't happen either way even if they get the OSK. Either he gets the FG and doesn't get the TD, or doesn't get the TD and the game is over. Those were really the only two conclusions that would have likely happened. Either way, I doubt that was the plan considering how Sanchez was flailing his arms around like a circus clown on meth after 3rd down, and how much of a mess that 4th down play was.

I almost wish we could go back in time to watch Folk miss another 20-yard FG so I would be even more justified in funneling liquid feces into your mouth.

Touche'

Given the time remaining, the only realistic chance of tying the games was to go for the TD;

Assuming we went for the FG and got the onsides kick, there was little chance of driving the field and getting a TD in the time remaining without a timeout left. One decent pass after an onsides kick would have put us in reasonable fg range. The pass could have even been to the middle of field with with a clock stappage coming by toss into the turf.

We had to get a td and fg-a sure fg first would have left the impossible task of gettting the td. At TD from the 2 would have left a reasonable shot at the fg assuming a recovery on the onsides kick.

Enough of the repetitive posts

Since I am late to the party I would like to go on record as I agree with the call. Like Phil Simms I would have kicked the FG if they didn't get so close on 3rd down, but I am fine with that move. The play that bothered me was wasting all that time after the 1st down right before the 2:00 minute warning. I'd have had him run up and spike it. Time was way more important than downs at that point.

The odds for him doing anything today were low. Scoring from a few yards out was low. Scoring a TD off an onsides kick would have been low. Driving them into FG range would have been low. This is why you go for the FG in that instance; because he's bad, and you're in an immediate position to extend the game in spite of him.

You need both the touchdown AND the field goal, then time is at a premium. So we're going to waste all that time to get deep into field goal range, only to kick it and have to march alllll the way back down?

If you really think Sanchez is so bad, then you have to take the best possible opportunity for the touchdown over the best possible opportunity for the field goal.

It was 4th down from what.... the 4???? 4 yards in one play isn't a fighting chance? But marching them 60 yards in less than 40 seconds IS?

Stoic we were not only playing yards we were plying the clock if you miss the TD like we did the game is over Kick the field goal and you have 55 seconds to drive the ball if the Onsides Kick works. The kick is a chip shot we had 3 chances to get it in the endzone and failed so we tried a 4th and failed as well.

Another way to look at it is that field goal is about a 90 % shot ...... Whats the Jets percentage scoring TD's in the redzone ? 35 %

Stoic we were not only playing yards we were plying the clock if you miss the TD like we did the game is over Kick the field goal and you have 55 seconds to drive the ball if the Onsides Kick works. The kick is a chip shot we had 3 chances to get it in the endzone and failed so we tried a 4th and failed as well.

Another way to look at it is that field goal is about a 90 % shot ...... Whats the Jets percentage scoring TD's in the redzone ? 35 %

I don't really understand what the point is here --- taking the 90% shot *first* doesn't mean you don't have to take the 35% shot later.. and the 35% diminishes further (probably to around 10%) after. Again, can't understand the point unless you trust the offense to drive 60 yards more than you trust Nick Folk to hit a 40-50 yarder.

the problem was the play before the clock was moving. you can't get the FG unit on the field and make that kick, leaves like 20 seconds left to onsides and score a TD.

The entire drive was a chinese fire drill. If they weren't planning on throwing the ball into the EZ, they should have immediately kicked.

Very simple. We didn't have enough time left to run the whole field again. We already earned the tough yards, so we should go for the higher score. If we got that TD we could have done an onsides kick and gotten into FG range in 1 or 2 plays. We kick the FG and then onside kick, we have to go the entire field and score in <20 seconds with no timeouts. The 1st scenario is much easier and more likely to succeed, although they are both long shots. One is just much longer than the other.

Anyone complaining about not kicking the FG there, needs to learn the basics of football and clock management.

The whole argument is ridiculous. If you have a 98% chance to kick a field goal and a 35% chance to score a touchdown, you have to try for the touchdown and if you fail you kick the field goal. That way you have two shots at the touchdown. The X factor is having the ball 4th and goal on the 2. If that was any further out, I would say kick the field goal. 2 yard line on in, you have to go for it. It's at least a 50% proposition at that point, we just didn't convert.

Very simple. We didn't have enough time left to run the whole field again. We already earned the tough yards, so we should go for the higher score. If we got that TD we could have done an onsides kick and gotten into FG range in 1 or 2 plays. We kick the FG and then onside kick, we have to go the entire field and score in <20 seconds with no timeouts. The 1st scenario is much easier and more likely to succeed, although they are both long shots. One is just much longer than the other.

Anyone complaining about not kicking the FG there, needs to learn the basics of football and clock management.

going for it a much, much, much, infinitesimally longer shot. FG from there basically 100% chance to get you to step 2: on-sides kick. Going for it on 4th fails at least half the time.

Wouldn't it have taken even more time off the clock to run the field goal team onto the field?

I have zero problem with the call. None. We needed a TD and a field goal. We were right there. Go for the ******* touchdown.

I guarantee if we had kicked a field goal there, people would be on here bitching that we didn't go for the touchdown.

55 seconds ? how long does it take, with the clock running, to run the FG team out and kick ?

Complete disaster by Rex and Schotty. Textbook situation, not complicated stuff.

Neither of those two flipped it to LT, between the hash-marks, with defenders between LT and the goal line.

With so little time left and no way to stop the clock, the call to go for it was fine. It's not a slam-dunk call. Punting on 4th & 15 from your own 10 while you have a 20 point lead is a slam dunk call. The "complete disaster" was the clock management prior to that and the comedy of errors on offense and defense for most of the game, and from Cromartie on special teams.

Do you not realize the clock stops on an incomplete pass ?? While the kicking team is running out the clock is stoped the kick consumes a few seconds.

I have realized not to talk football with you, lol

3rd and 9 at OAK 9 (Shotgun) M.Sanchez pass short middle to L.Tomlinson to OAK 2 for 7 yards (T.Branch).

I have realized not to talk football with you, lol

3rd and 9 at OAK 9 (Shotgun) M.Sanchez pass short middle to L.Tomlinson to OAK 2 for 7 yards (T.Branch).

Heres the deal when its first and GOAL you have 3 shots before kicking the field goal. EVERY shot at this point should be IN THE ENDZONE so that the clock stops after each play its not a time to get fancy or stupid EVERY ATTEMPT SHOULD BE IN THE ******* ENDZONE. If you fail on all three you probably lose about 18 seconds an average of 6 seconds per play. If you did not get it in the endzone YOU KICK THE field goal to give yourself a chance . The field goal is about a 90 % + chance to make . The Jets efficency in the red zone is 35 percent. At the very least you keep the game alive to even have a chance at the onsides kick.

Im not discussing what the Idiot Jets did Im discussing what they should have done. Anything not thrown into the endzone at that stage of the game was absolute stupidity.

And if you dont want to talk football with me do me a freakin favor and dont ask me questions. ok :)

Heres the deal when its first and GOAL and you have 3 shots before kicking the field goal. EVERY shot at this point should be IN THE ENDZONE so that the clock stops after each play its not a time to get fancy or stupid EVERY ATTEMPT SHOULD BE IN THE ******* ENDZONE. If you fail on all three you probably lose about 18 seconds an average of 6 seconds per play. If you did not get it in the endzone YOU KICK THE field goal to give yourself a chance . The field goal is about a 90 % + chance to make . The Jets efficency in the red zone is 35 percent. At the very least you keep the game alive to even have a chance at the onsides kick.

Im not discussing what the Idiot Jets did Im discussing what they should have done. Anything not thrown into the endzone at that stage of the game was absolute stupidity.

And if you dont want to talk football with me do me a freakin favor and dont ask me questions. ok :)

you could have just said. "oh my bad, I thought the clock was stopped after 3rd down"

yeah I was comming from a different perspective. What they did was back themselves into a corner and had no choice . The entire series was a joke .

no question. the worst part was at first glance it looked like sanchez got in. my wife was running around the house screaming. ugh

no question. the worst part was at first glance it looked like sanchez got in. my wife was running around the house screaming. ugh

:)

Whats funny is Seymour didnt tackle or knock down Sanchez he just basicly touched his helmet and that should not have been considered a tackle since Sanchez decided to dive in, someone else should have touched him but they didnt It was really close to consider what Seymour did was what caused Sanchez to go down. Since it was called a TD on the field they could have said it was inconclusive as to weather Seymour actully had an effect on Sanchez. Bet if that was Brady or Manning or even Vick thats a TD. OR Hitting the QB in the helmet LOL

I don't really understand what the point is here --- taking the 90% shot *first* doesn't mean you don't have to take the 35% shot later.. and the 35% diminishes further (probably to around 10%) after. Again, can't understand the point unless you trust the offense to drive 60 yards more than you trust Nick Folk to hit a 40-50 yarder.

You kick the 3 and come away with points.

The risk of getting nothing when you need 2 scores is too high.

Archived