The Jets season is riding on Sunday's game against the Patriots

Maxman

This was posted on our Facebook wall and I thought it was worth starting a thread on:

The Jets season is riding on Sunday's game against the Patriots, I believe. Three major losses in a row is difficult to overcome. Not in the wins column, but in the confidence of the team (let alone the confidence of the fans). I believe in Rex and believe over time, we will be a Super Bowl team - yet my confidence is greatly shaken this year.

Can they win on Sunday - yes. Must we win Sunday - yes. If the team goes to Foxboro feeling they must win - we may lose. This is where Rex's coaching must come through - this must just be another game on the schedule. Mangold should be back, confidence in the O Line might be restored and a sense that we can (like we did last January) win at Foxboro - when we need to. Thoughts?

To beat the Pats, you have to outscore them. While I have every confidence that our defense can slow them down, and their defense, unlike other years, is vulnerable, I do not have very much confidence in the Jets offense to take advantage.

Can we beat them? Sure. But our o-line has to put on their best performance of the year, our QB has to play mistake free, Shotty has to have a perfect game plan, and our defense has to be lights out.

Doable, sure. Likely, not really.

I wouldn't say it's a must win to make the playoffs, but I feel it's a must win for our chances of A) The AFC East. B.) A bye week and C) Home Field advantage throughout.

If we lose against NE this Sunday, we're two games back of NE.

Teams like the Patriots, Ravens, Texans and Chargers could all be 4-1 heading into week 5. Being 2-3, and two full games back of these guys would make our chances very difficult in terms of a bye week come playoff time.

Now, on the flip side? A win against the Patriots and we're right back into the thick of things at 4-2. 4-2? Not bad moving forward. I fully expect the Bills to get beat down by the Eagles this Sunday. If the Jets upset NE? We're in a 3 way tie for the AFC East with a tie breaker over the Patriots. We're right back in contension.

Now, if we lose this game, is our season over at 2-3? Not a chance. In 2009, we started off 3-0 and fell to 3-3, and still ended up in the playoffs. 2 of those loses were also against the AFC East (Dolphins and Bills). Then we went to 4-3. Then ANOTHER 3 game losing streak, falling to 4-6. That's when we went on a run; after dropping to 4-6. We then went 5-1 to make the playoffs at 9-7. That was with two 3 game losing streaks.

Now, if the Jets were to fall to 2-3... We'd have to go 8-3 for a strong chance of making the playoffs. In 09 we got in at 9-7, but a 9-7 record isn't getting in this year.

Adrian: It's suicide. You've seen him, you know how strong he is. You can't win.

Rocky: Oh, Adrian. Adrian always tells the truth. No, maybe I can't win. Maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know.

To beat the Pats, you have to outscore them. While I have every confidence that our defense can slow them down, and their defense, unlike other years, is vulnerable, I do not have very much confidence in the Jets offense to take advantage.

Can we beat them? Sure. But our o-line has to put on their best performance of the year, our QB has to play mistake free, Shotty has to have a perfect game plan, and our defense has to be lights out.

Doable, sure. Likely, not really.

Shotty will have a perfect game plan that doesn't account for any of the advantages or disadvantages of either team playing, he will also only change what he's calling after it hasn't worked for 3 qtrs and 10 mins...

Adrian: It's suicide. You've seen him, you know how strong he is. You can't win.

Rocky: Oh, Adrian. Adrian always tells the truth. No, maybe I can't win. Maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know.

any Rocky reference gets me pumped up... god I love being the underdog!

You hit the nail on the head Sir

It's an important game no doubt, but it's absolutely not true. It's possible another bad loss here could cause some serious changes being made to this team, be it coaches, players, starters or whatever. But a 3-game losing streak doesn't end the season, especially not this early in the year. Hell, in 2009 the Jets had TWO 3-game losing streaks and mostly to far worse teams than what they've dealt with in this run, first was to NO, MIA, and BUF and the second to MIA, JAC and NE, with NE and NO being the only two teams in that group who even finished the season with a winning record. So one 3-game losing streak, while certainly far from ideal and definitely needing some work to recover from, isn't the end of the season by a long shot.

I thought this way on monday, but I have resigned to the fact that the jets have too many weak links, and are not a SB contender, so this week is really just a game

in a playoff type game, westerman, hunter, mulligan, cro and smith are such large liabilities, they can't be overcome against a quality team

it's a shame

while other GM's were building a team, the jets were stroking nnamdmdi and trying to build a defense from the back to the front

nobody else does that

ever notice every week we are worried about some teams front 7 beast ? where is the jets front 7 beast ?

This has all the makings of a very ugly loss. BB and Brady will look to run up the score as well. PATS defense sucks but we probbaly dont have the line and game plan (OC) to expose it.

The only thing that gives a glimmer of hope is that the Rex Ryan Jets usually surprise you when things look the worst. Hope this is one of those times.

Thats 3 AFC losses.

I hate to give props, but PR can count with only one bare foot. 3 losses in conference at this stage of the season will require some very flukey combination of losses on the part of other WC "contenders". Lose the Pats game and the season is over, with mathematical elimination only being a matter of when not if.

I hate to give props, but PR can count with only one bare foot. 3 losses in conference at this stage of the season will require some very flukey combination of losses on the part of other WC "contenders". Lose the Pats game and the season is over, with mathematical elimination only being a matter of when not if.

No, it took two and a calculator.

And, no the season would not be over after ... I mean, if the Jets lose Sunday.

LOL, what???

let's put it this way, i see us missing the playoffs and if we miss by one game, that's the one that we'll all look back on as the one that done it unless we split with miami (don't laugh - very possible). of course we could miss by many, many more. if i had to predict now i'd say 7-9 end of season.

No, not yet. I think the Jets will lose against Pats simply cause we wont be able to keep up with Brady. After that its home games against Miami&San Diego, which I believe Jets win both games, so theyll be 4-3 @ the bye. After that who knows? I realize this is a bullsh*t prediction, but I have no idea if this team has any identity. I just hope at this point they resemble a well coached& prepared team. If they lose to Miami at home MNF, then the season is officially over.

Archived