Rex Ryan says he would have earned 'a couple rings' if hired by Chargers in 2007

THE ILK

You all are worse than the media itself. Harping all over each and every thing our head coach says to the media. He said nothing wrong, he's just the type of person who speaks his mind. and there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

You give Rex Ryan a SD Chargers offense of 2007, with the overall knowledge that he has of the defensive side of the ball... And he WOULD HAVE won a ring or two with those guys as head coach. It's been SD's head coach who's held them back over the years.

He's led us to the AFC Championship Game during consecutive seasons for the first time in franchise history. #1 rated defense in 2009 and top 5 last year. Keep being yourself Rex, who cares if a bunch of complaining fans calls you a moron, idiot, dope or tells you to shut the **** up. Keep being yourself, they have no idea how stressful it is being a head coach. Who the F cares if he makes light of situations and has a good time while doing so? This man is ONE HELL of a football coach. His act will never get old to me, because he believes in this team and has been the best thing our franchise has seen since Bill Parcells.

He would not have won the Super Bowl in 2007, not with Phillip Rivers' leg practically falling off by the AFC title game.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex is getting annoying. I don't want him to go away, but I would like him to shut up some. I would also like him to coach the whole team. Belichick is known as a defensive genius yet he has constructed an unstoppable offense, through I don't know how many OC's. It is called evolving. i am not sure Rex can evolve.

I came into this thread expecting to blast Rex for talking and never following through; but you guys took care of that. I'm suprised, is Rex inching towards the hot seat in some of your minds? Just curious.

I don't think that by a long shot. But we might see a kinder, gentler Rex in the near future, courtesy of the FO.

I think Rex is a genius. I may be wrong, but I truly think he said something this bizarre to keep Sanchez out the media, to keep Holmes' criticism out media and have them focus personally on him. Just my opinion.

But this is Rex for ya whether you guys like it or not. Five years from now, he will probably be saying the same sh*t, and I love it. I wouldn't trade him for any coach. Get used to it guys.

This +1,000,000

It wouldn't suprise me in the least if he decided to take the heat off his QB and his struggling Offense and put it on himself. We have seen him do this a couple of times.

There are times though where I think the trap door in his brain gets stuck and things just come out.

Rex's Brain: Don't say it

Rex Ryan: "Well, I think I would have had a couple of rings,"

Rex's Brain: D'oh

Funny thing is, if you ask alot Charger fans they would probably agree with what Rex said.

The one thing Rex needs to learn is that there is alot more bad things that can happen than good things when you talk to the media. Unless you know how to manipulate them (Parcells) they are really nothing but a bunch of vultures looking to tear you down.

This +1,000,000

It wouldn't suprise me in the least if he decided to take the heat off his QB and his struggling Offense and put it on himself. We have seen him do this a couple of times.

There are times though where I think the trap door in his brain gets stuck and things just come out.

Rex Ryan: "Well, I think I would have had a couple of rings,"

Rex's Brain: D'oh

Funny thing is, if you ask alot Charger fans they would probably agree with what Rex said.

The one thing Rex needs to learn is that there is alot more bad things that can happen than good things when you talk to the media. Unless you know how to manipulate them (Parcells) they are really nothing but a bunch of vultures looking to tear you down.

Here's what most are missing: it's working. Rex says crazy sh*t, the media look to tear him down, Rex wins... a lot, Rex has last laugh.

As long as Rex wins, he can say whatever the **** he wants for all I care. Any Jets fans bitching about Rex not winning the SB yet are out of their minds. Look at the 40 years before Rex arrived. Think about the last two years. Have you ever had this much fun as a Jets fan?

norv turner fired back with.

“I hadn’t seen his quote and I was a little bit surprised by the call,” Turner said. “And then after I saw the quote, I didn’t have a chance to ask him this, but I was wondering if he had those rings with the ones he’s guaranteed the last couple of years.”

Dear Rex,

If this war of words was the Super Bowl, Norv would have a ring.

Here's what most are missing: it's working. Rex says crazy sh*t, the media look to tear him down, Rex wins... a lot, Rex has last laugh.

As long as Rex wins, he can say whatever the **** he wants for all I care. Any Jets fans bitching about Rex not winning the SB yet are out of their minds. Look at the 40 years before Rex arrived. Think about the last two years. Have you ever had this much fun as a Jets fan?

There's no denying this aspect of it - and when we first hired Rex I used to soapbox about how strategic I thought his "bold statements" were. That said, I'm just exhausted with it - the team has gotten worse in his tenure, not better. So talk is not what I'm looking for, improvement is. Also, he has gone from making bold statements, to insulting other coaches and sounding like an arrogant pig at times. We all hate BB and Brady because of their arrogance... how can I, in good consciousness, root for one guy for his arrogance and "hate" another? Makes me a hypocrite.

Your blind homerism never ceases to fail. For two years he's promised us rings and they are nowhere to be found. He needs to cut it out and stfu for a change.

So he should change everything about the way he acts, which has given us some of the best football we've seen in decades, just because it annoys some of the fans?? Christ, is this not the same fan base that ripped into Mangini for being so robotic and unpersonable the same way we constantly make fun of Mumbles??

This is absurd, the man can't even joke around like men do without being criticized. He even called up Norv later to say he was joking, just busting balls. He's never once said a negative thing about another player or team, yet he gets crucified this badly. He promises super bowls?? so what, why is that so bad?? He believes in himself and his team, why does that bother everyone so much?? He loves his job and frankly it's nice to see a coach who believes in you.

I don't want to pull the college D1 athlete card, but has anyone had a robotic, monotonous, non-inspiring coach and than one as motivational as Rex who believes in you and tells everyone that he expects great things out of you?? It's absolutely true that the later makes you want to run through a brick wall for him; when you play his ex team, you want to run them into the ground for just the notion that they disrespected your coach, whether they did or not. I'm sorry, but this is exactly why all the players love him and be damned with the people who don't like his way. Like they say, if someone is hating on you, than you're doing something right.

Dear Rex,

If this war of words was the Super Bowl, Norv would have a ring.

This is what I don't get, Rex probably loves that comment. These guys are grown men coaching in the NFL. They bust balls and like to joke just like everyone else, this is exactly the type of comments you'd hear if Rex was at a bar talking sh*t to his brother or anyone else. The only surprising thing is that Norv was able to think up something this witty on his own.

There's no denying this aspect of it - and when we first hired Rex I used to soapbox about how strategic I thought his "bold statements" were. That said, I'm just exhausted with it - the team has gotten worse in his tenure, not better. So talk is not what I'm looking for, improvement is. Also, he has gone from making bold statements, to insulting other coaches and sounding like an arrogant pig at times. We all hate BB and Brady because of their arrogance... how can I, in good consciousness, root for one guy for his arrogance and "hate" another? Makes me a hypocrite.

Winning cures all ills'. Talk smack make bold predictions when your winning and your manipulating the media therefore a genius for doing so. Talk smack and make bold predictions whn your team is struggling and your a bumbling oaf. Just like if a billionare likes to walk around quoting the golden girls wearing a riding outfit and pissing in his garden... he's eccentric. Broke guy does the same thing he gets arrested and sent to the loony bin. WINNING CURES ALL ILLS, America has more patience with winners.

This is what I don't get, Rex probably loves that comment. These guys are grown men coaching in the NFL. They bust balls and like to joke just like everyone else, this is exactly the type of comments you'd hear if Rex was at a bar talking sh*t to his brother or anyone else. The only surprising thing is that Norv was able to think up something this witty on his own.

Yes, and Norv wins.

Don't be silly, it doesn't make you a hypocrite, it simply reinforces that you are one. :-P

Rex is getting annoying. I don't want him to go away, but I would like him to shut up some. I would also like him to coach the whole team. Belichick is known as a defensive genius yet he has constructed an unstoppable offense, through I don't know how many OC's. It is called evolving. i am not sure Rex can evolve.

It's because Belichick has learned that he has to be the coach of the WHOLE team and take an interest in what the offense is doing. The Jets need Rex to take more interest in the offensive side of the ball. What has he done besides interview Sanchez in LA with Tannenbaum and say "yes, GET Santonio Holmes" when he was asked. I don't want to hear the words Super or Bowl coming out of his mouth the rest of the season-that's all. Right now on October the 20th 2011 13-3 is still a possibility but it all starts Sunday and I like our chances.

The only win between these two I care about, is Rex over Norv in the playoffs. That and the upcoming game, that's it.

Why isn't anyone criticizing Norv for responding?? I don't care who talks first, it's the same exact thing.

Because Norv's better at it.

Because Norv's better at it.

No, it's because Rex is the head coach of an overly-sensitive and hysterical media and fan base. How often did you hear people rip on what Schotty Sr. or Norv says or doesn't say to the media, how about bud black?? Fans and analysts got on Senior for never winning the big game, but hardly critical of how he conducted himself; New York and Jets' fans will find fault with everything. Herm was too grandious, Mangini was too robotic and a belly clone, Rex is too boisterous etc. This entire fan-base complained for years to give them someone with a personality and than exhaulted Rex in his first year here and now is turning on him because he's had a recent struggle.

No it hasn't. They've taken a half step back so far this year and this year is far from over. In Rex's first year they had the exact same record six weeks into the season as they have now.

I really don't think Rex meant to insult anyone here. I think Rex saying he thinks he would have won a couple of SBs with the Chargers roster, as it stood in '07 when he would have taken over the team, is more a statement about Rex's confidence in himself than any kind of a shot at Norv.

And there is still the reality that Rex is 100% correct. He probably would have won a SB with the Chargers by now had he become their HC in 2007.

It's because Belichick has learned that he has to be the coach of the WHOLE team and take an interest in what the offense is doing. The Jets need Rex to take more interest in the offensive side of the ball. What has he done besides interview Sanchez in LA with Tannenbaum and say "yes, GET Santonio Holmes" when he was asked. I don't want to hear the words Super or Bowl coming out of his mouth the rest of the season-that's all. Right now on October the 20th 2011 13-3 is still a possibility but it all starts Sunday and I like our chances.

While I don't disagree with the premise, Belichick did have Charlie Weis running the show on offense for his first 5 years with the Pats and not to mention another 5 years as Browns head coach before that where he wasn't exactly producing particularly impressive offenses. I agree Rex needs to get more hands-on with the offense, but to compare him to a guy who took 10 years to do it himself and is on his 17th year as an NFL head coach, isn't exactly a reasonable expectation.

No, it's because Rex is the head coach of an overly-sensitive and hysterical media and fan base. How often did you hear people rip on what Schotty Sr. or Norv says or doesn't say to the media, how about bud black?? Fans and analysts got on Senior for never winning the big game, but hardly critical of how he conducted himself; New York and Jets' fans will find fault with everything. Herm was too grandious, Mangini was too robotic and a belly clone, Rex is too boisterous etc. This entire fan-base complained for years to give them someone with a personality and than exhaulted Rex in his first year here and now is turning on him because he's had a recent struggle.

I'm not turning on anybody, I'm not even complaining, just pointing out how stupid this sounds, and that Norv got the better of it.

I think Rex is a genius. I may be wrong, but I truly think he said something this bizarre to keep Sanchez out the media, to keep Holmes' criticism out media and have them focus personally on him. Just my opinion.

But this is Rex for ya whether you guys like it or not. Five years from now, he will probably be saying the same sh*t, and I love it. I wouldn't trade him for any coach. Get used to it guys.

Deception. Its Rex's key to winning. And then, SURPRISE BITCHES!!!!

Its no different then when he blows BB and Brady and Manning...he's taking the pressure off his team. The guy is a genius. Absloute genius. Wouldnt want any other coach. Not a chance. I <3 this man.

\

The irony behind you of all people bitcing about Rex's big mouth, is ******* priceless. If anything, I'd think you'd appreciate his ability to get under peoples skins by making harmless comments that everyone goes nuts about. You're just like him but you are knocking him for this?

Come'on man, its art that you specialize in and you cant appreiciate it? Weird.

Exactly.

Rex said a mornonic thing and Norv bitch slapped him.

Really? That was a bitch slap? Norv's response was essentially, "oh yeah? Well he doesn't have any rings either!" The only thing missing was Norv putting his hands on his hips while sticking out his tongue.

If that qualifies as a "bitch slap" in your book you've got awfully low standards.

Looking ahead, if the Jets lose 45-7, does the team start to really fracture? If Rex was ever going to be the adult in the room, this compromises him if they get smoked. Who, then, is the leader?

Is there really ever a gracious way to lose by five scores? I don't see how it compromises him; his team knows that he believes in them and has never wavered from that stance. We were trounced by the pats last year and he turned things around. As long as Rex doesn't alter his personality, I think the team will continue to play hard for him regardless; if he were to change it and become more subdued, than I think you'd see the team fracture as the alpha has started to look as if he's softened.

Really? That was a bitch slap? Norv's response was essentially, "oh yeah? Well he doesn't have any rings either!" The only thing missing was Norv putting his hands on his hips while sticking out his tongue.

If that qualifies as a "bitch slap" in your book you've got awfully low standards.

No, it wasn't an "Oh yeah? Well he doesn't have any rings either."

It was Norv saying, "Wait, this blowhard is saying he'd have multiple rings if he had my job? Where the **** are the rings he promised the last 2 yrs for the Jets? He should just STFU."

That's a bitch slap.

While granted Norv's comment was very witty and biting, I don't know how he could bitch-slap Rex, considering the last time they met, Rex sent him packing in the playoffs.

That's old news now. Norv can Harbaugh Rex this weekend.

May be, possibly, Rex Ryan should win a Super Bowl-one even!-here before he says another thing about rings and Super Bowls.

We seem to lurch form control freaks who focus on the next game(Parcells/Groh, Mangini) to braggarts who never shut up about the Lombardis they will win (Rex, Edwards). Ryan is as good a coach as any of them, but he should win something before he utters another word about this.

When did you become so irrational? The guy is a 6 games into his 3rd year as a HC. You think BB knew anything about offense at this point in his career? Hell no. He was busy being that catalyst to Art Modell moving one of the oldest teams in the NFL to Balt. His offense in Cleveland, was middle of the pack in their best season to horrible when they finished with a losing record 4-5 years he was there.

Then he hired the best coordinating staff he could find in NE and it was still defense that won them championships even with stumbling into an all time great at QB. Since BB has been an offensive guy, the Pats havent done squat. And dont act like Tom Brady isnt 98% of why it looks like BB knows offense.

Looking ahead, if the Jets lose 45-7, does the team start to really fracture? If Rex was ever going to be the adult in the room, this compromises him if they get smoked. Who, then, is the leader?

Rex Ryan. You act like the team isnt used to it.

The irony behind you of all people bitcing about Rex's big mouth, is ******* priceless. If anything, I'd think you'd appreciate his ability to get under peoples skins by making harmless comments that everyone goes nuts about. You're just like him but you are knocking him for this?

Come'on man, its art that you specialize in and you cant appreiciate it? Weird.

I get where you are coming from, and can't deny it at all... that said, this is how I act ON THE INTERNET while mostly playing a game. I think the reason I do it so well here, is because this is my outlet for it... all that said, I do appreciate what Rex is doing... I thought I made a distinction though between him being boasting and insulting. I get the boasting as part of his media and motivational strategy, 100% get it. I don't however, appreciate the insulting. To me this sport is about integrity, respect and discipline... those are the standards I hold any representative of this team to, and at times he doesn't meet them.

It doesn't mean I don't believe in him. I just think he can be classless at times. I still think he's the one who will take us back the SB... 'no question about it', as he would say.

I get where you are coming from, and can't deny it at all... that said, this is how I act ON THE INTERNET while mostly playing a game. I think the reason I do it so well here, is because this is my outlet for it... all that said, I do appreciate what Rex is doing... I thought I made a distinction though between him being boasting and insulting. I get the boasting as part of his media and motivational strategy, 100% get it. I don't however, appreciate the insulting. To me this sport is about integrity, respect and discipline... those are the standards I hold any representative of this team to, and at times he doesn't meet them.

It doesn't mean I don't believe in him. I just think he can be classless at times. I still think he's the one who will take us back the SB... 'no question about it', as he would say.

Well good...but I guess Im with Klacko on this one (shoot me)...but I didnt see this as taking a shot at Norv. I saw it as regular old Rex being confident as usual.

If anything, IMO, it was a shot at the Chargers FO for not hiring him. Rex is son of a HC. He grew up in this game and realizes there is a code of conduct. He would never intentionally directly insult another HC. Thats not his style. He was knocking the Chargers for not hiring him. Not insulting Norv for being awful.

Archived