Santonio - get rid of the attitude...

Steveg

Jets' Santonio Holmes sees potential for big plays vs. Giants

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Santonio Holmes said he would let his head coach fire back to Tom Coughlin's declaration that "talk is cheap." But the Jets receiver was happy to offer his opinion on the Giants secondary.

"They’ve given up big plays," he said. "They are poor tackling guys. We know plays can be made over their head, we’ve just got to be willing to take advantage of them and make them count."

The Giants are the league's 29th-ranked team in pass defense. They have given up 58 plays of 20 or more yards, second only to the Patriots.

Giants cornerback Corey Webster is one player who has had a solid year, and figures to see time against Holmes. Holmes' take on Webster?

"Can’t wait to see him come Saturday," Holmes said. "I hope he is ready to bring his ‘A’ game."

Asked if he agrees that Webster has had a solid year, Holmes said, "could care less."

Holmes is coming off a rough day in the Jets' 45-19 loss to the Eagles. He turned the ball over twice in the game's opening nine minutes, losing a fumble that was returned for a touchdown and letting a good pass bounce off his hands and into the grasp of cornerback Asante Samuel for an interception. After his 25-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter, the team captain mocked the Eagles' rallying chant in his celebration, drawing a 15-yard taunting penalty.

Holmes bristled at the idea he is anxious to move on from that performance.

"Nope. Nope," he said. "I've been in this league six years. I make plays every Sunday."

Coach Rex Ryan said Holmes apologized to him for the excessive celebration. Holmes said he and Ryan don't have "anything negative" to talk about.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer looked as though he was upset with Holmes after the touchdown celebration Sunday, approaching him on the sideline and appearing to have words for him.

"He's our offensive coordinator. What about him?" Holmes said.

When told Schottenheimer looked angry, Holmes replied, "Why wouldn't he be? If a guy drops a ball to get an interception, why wouldn't the offensive coordinator be upset that his star guy didn't catch a pass?"

Asked if Schottenheimer was mad about the penalty instead, Holmes said, "he's supposed to be. It happened."

"Our relationship is great," Holmes continued. "I can't complain about anything with our relationship, but our relationship is offensive coordinator, wide receiver."

It's easier just to count the guys you actually like on the team. Revis, Harris, Mangold, Brick. Moore, maybe. Pouha.

Ha, true. That list probably about does it. Although in addition to them, I pretty much like the whole DL at this point. A lot of talented guys who get very little credit, play far above their pay grade and keep their mouths shut. Tough not to like that. That's about it though.

I would be fine cutting him and not resigning Plex next year. Holmes makes 9.5 next year if cut 5 hits cap I think....so getting rid of both of them, in a round about way, is like saving 4.5 + 3 = 7.5M and go sign Marques Colston, John Carlson and let Kerley play the 2.....honestly I'm not the salary cap wiz and they're not cutting Holmes but for ****'s sake he such of complete creep.

I would be fine cutting him and not resigning Plex next year. Holmes makes 9.5 next year if cut 5 hits cap I think....so getting rid of both of them, in a round about way, is like saving 4.5 + 3 = 7.5M and go sign Marques Colston, John Carlson and let Kerley play the 2.....honestly I'm not the salary cap wiz and they're not cutting Holmes but for ****'s sake he such of complete creep.

I think this is Mark Sanchez's wet dream.

Holms is your prototypical-sterotypical low IQ sports dude.

Doesn't see his stupidity. Was directly responsible for ******* us last sunday against the Eagles....then gets a penalty when he makes a "catch"....costs us....and this guy is a ****en Captain...What a joke.

Note to Holms.....Stop with your BS and make some plays on Saturday ok...

This guy is an idiot....

maybe we can trade him to one of those teams who were breaking down his door to sign him for more than the Jets offered and out of the goodness of his heart he signed with us for the hometown discount. :rolleyes: More like the 5 finger discount

maybe we can trade him to one of those teams who were breaking down his door to sign him for more than the Jets offered and out of the goodness of his heart he signed with us for the hometown discount. :rolleyes: More like the 5 finger discount

Funny...and exactly

Amazing to me that people are turning on this guy

He's about the only playmaker we have

Did he have a bad game? Yes

That's about his only bad game. The man has been clutch for us

holmes_crop_340x234.jpg?1295244370

ok lets see what happens on saturday.....talk is cheap....

Im not turning on him I hated him last year too. Just for the record a bad game for a WR is no catches and a few drops the game he had was beyond bad and hes had plenty of bad games here.

He's an absolutel stud.

I just think its funny eveyone is giving him sh*t about this. How did you expect a guy with a ton of pride to field questions about him losing the game for the Jets?

You're really amazed that Jet/sport fans are overreacting to something?

I spent a whole lot of last year ripping Holmes, but the guy is the only skill position player on offense anywhere close to elite. With a QB who is actually highly skilled and not just bumbling around hitting and missing the guy would be a beast here.

You're really amazed that Jet/sport fans are overreacting to something?

I spent a whole lot of last year ripping Holmes, but the guy is the only skill position player on offense anywhere close to elite. With a QB who is actually highly skilled and not just bumbling around hitting and missing the guy would be a beast here.

I don't know how Roethlisberger has ever won another game without him.

Yes, you do. Bruce Arians offensive designs, plans, and calls easily explain away these things. He knows how to use his players.

This post is funny, but it's downright brilliant for those of us who have spent any significant time in western Pennsylvania in the last five years.

This post is funny, but it's downright brilliant for those of us who have spent any significant time in western Pennsylvania in the last five years.

The Arians/Steeler fans relationship makes our hate for Schitty seem so minor league. They haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate that guy.

Archived