Jets Contract expirations, who should stay and who should go...

Freemanm

I'm sure all of you have seen this already, but just in case, here's a look at the Jets whose contracts are up now and their salaries. There were a couple of guys who are so deep in to scrub land that I didn't bother mentioning them. This list also doesn't include Santonio Holmes, who makes $6m per year, and after his childish display in the Miami game, will have tough time being shopped around. Anyway, I think they're going to get rid of the unfulfilled potential that is Bryan Thomas, Plax, O'Connell (you can't pay a backup QB who will likely never play $5 million/yr). They have to do something about Leonhard (either re-sign him or get something big for him. Either way, he should be a bargain because of his injuries the past two season). Turner, Mulligan and Westerman are wastes of time and money, in my opinion. Pool most likely will be re-signed, in my opinion, pending on what's done about Leohnard. Anyway, they are going to need at least one good OL to replace Slauson (or Hunter, take your pick). Figure on Plax not being there next year too, so we're gonna need a wide receiver.

All in all, the prediciton is that the Jets will have about $9m in cap room after all is said and done.

On the fence about Pouha, but less so with LT, because I think LT is an important veteran presence in the locker room.

I'd like to keep Maybin, who played well at times this year.

Bryan Thomas Lolb $5m

Jim Leonhard SS $1.9m

Sione Pouha DT $1.4m

Kevin O'Connell QB $5m

LaDainian Tomlinson HB $5.2m

Plaxico Burress WR $1m

Rob Turner C/T $1.2m

Jamaal Westerman OLB $1m

Matthew Mulligan T $1.2m

Brodney Pool S $735k

Donald Strickland CB $575k

Mark Brunell QB $575k

Nick Folk K $552k

Aaron Maybin DE $575k

Ripati Pitoitua DE $480k

Marquice Cole CB $480

Pouha is a MUST.

Maybin for the same role would make sense.

Westerman if he's cheap enough as a backup.

Pool for rotation.

LT if we can't get an equivilant, but I think we need to go younger and faster.

Leonhard only if he's a backup and special teams, but am perfectly ok if he never plays for us again.

I really can't stress enough how much I think we need Laron Landry...

If healthy he would be a massive addition...and cheap ish.

Pouha is a MUST.

Maybin for the same role would make sense.

Westerman if he's cheap enough as a backup.

Pool for rotation.

LT if we can't get an equivilant, but I think we need to go younger and faster.

Leonhard only if he's a backup and special teams, but am perfectly ok if he never plays for us again.

I really can't stress enough how much I think we need Laron Landry...

If healthy he would be a massive addition...and cheap ish.

Oh, and

Turner

Pito

Cole

Would be ok as afforable backups

Here are the correct salaries:

Bryan Thomas Lolb $3.7m

Jim Leonhard SS $2.1m

Sione Pouha DT $2.2m

Kevin O'Connell QB $525K

LaDainian Tomlinson HB $1.325M

Plaxico Burress WR $3.017m

Rob Turner C/T $900K

Jamaal Westerman OLB $525K

Matthew Mulligan T $525K

Brodney Pool S $735k(575K cap)

Mark Brunell QB $960k

Nick Folk K $635k(575K cap)

Aaron Maybin DE $525k

Ripati Pitoitua DE - Signed thru 2012

Marquice Cole CB $525K

He made 525k last year I believe.

http://www.spotrac.c...kevin-oconnell/

Bryan Thomas Lolb $3.7m

Jim Leonhard SS $2.1m

Sione Pouha DT $2.2m

Kevin O'Connell QB $525K

Rob Turner C/T $900K

Matthew Mulligan T $525K

Mark Brunell QB $960k

Nick Folk K $635k(575K cap)

Aaron Maybin DE $525k

Ripati Pitoitua DE - Signed thru 2012

Marquice Cole CB $525K

Thank you. I was going to say...this makes no F'ing sense.

You have to re-sign Pool if you can get him for a similar price, don't you?

I would say you should re-sign Leonhard. He'll be relatively cheap, and you don't want to go into a season with 2 new starting safeties. So, Leonhard and a high draft pick/nice FA with Pool as the 3rd.

Pouha? Yes, if possible.

We have a glut at running back, but you have to like what L.T. offers, leadership-wise.

I wouldn't mind Strickland back on a dirt cheap contract.

Turner is a nice 6th lineman/tight end. Question is the price.

Pouha is the only MUST sign that could be difficult. I couldn't tell if his initial numbers were what he thought they were getting for 2011 or what he thought'd they'd get in 2012.

Which guys are RFAs? Maybin should be restricted. Mulligan probably will also - I think that you sign him or at least some tender to get something back. I know the guy had a rough year, but that's cheap for a guy that got all that run. Burress will probably get some money will all those TDs, but I'm not sure if he'll be good for our #2. I'd like him back, but I wouldn't bid up too high or too long.

They will need to sign at least one S (even if they resign these 2), a RB (maybe LT back) a WR (maybe Plax back) an OLB (maybe Thomas/Westerman back), but losing Pouha would be a big loss. I think Thomas and possibly Burress and Leonhard are the only other two that may price us out. I don't think I'd pay Thomas like that again, but I don't know what else is out there. The only position I'd be looking hard to upgrade that doesn't have a body on this list RT.

Pouha is the only MUST sign that could be difficult. I couldn't tell if his initial numbers were what he thought they were getting for 2011 or what he thought'd they'd get in 2012.

Which guys are RFAs? Maybin should be restricted. Mulligan probably will also - I think that you sign him or at least some tender to get something back. I know the guy had a rough year, but that's cheap for a guy that got all that run. Burress will probably get some money will all those TDs, but I'm not sure if he'll be good for our #2. I'd like him back, but I wouldn't bid up too high or too long.

They will need to sign at least one S (even if they resign these 2), a RB (maybe LT back) a WR (maybe Plax back) an OLB (maybe Thomas/Westerman back), but losing Pouha would be a big loss. I think Thomas and possibly Burress and Leonhard are the only other two that may price us out. I don't think I'd pay Thomas like that again, but I don't know what else is out there. The only position I'd be looking hard to upgrade that doesn't have a body on this list RT.

I respect your opinion... I know its such an open ended topic.. but thoughts on if Braylon might end up coming back?

I respect your opinion... I know its such an open ended topic.. but thoughts on if Braylon might end up coming back?

Depends on how burnt the bridges are (though money can often fix that) and his health status.

Apart from that, I don't see why not. I think he would be cheaper than Burress, stretch the field better, and Sanchez has experience throwing to him... so why not?

Sione Pouha DT $2.2m

Rob Turner C/T $900K

Aaron Maybin DE $525k

Probably can still shorten it...

Which guys are RFAs? Maybin should be restricted. Mulligan probably will also - I think that you sign him or at least some tender to get something back. I know the guy had a rough year, but that's cheap for a guy that got all that run.

I can't imagine keeping Mulligan. He is indicative of the lack discipline on offense and should have been benched / cut long ago. The fact that the Jets Offensive coaches keep him around and on the field is mind-boggling.

To me Mulligan has been synonymous with Schott's failure as OC. Of all the players on the roster why can't Schott find a way to gameplan with Mulligan?

I actually think you are serious, so you will get a serious answer...

I think Jet fans make way more of this than it's worth. I assume he isn't physically ready so it will probably be some time before he can even work out for teams. I don't think he can be counted on right now, so we should be looking elsewhere. There is the possibility that he is pissed at the team or the team looks at him as poison in the lockers which would rule him out, but it's probably a long shot anyway.

I think Jet fans make way more of this than it's worth. I assume he isn't physically ready so it will probably be some time before he can even work out for teams. I don't think he can be counted on right now, so we should be looking elsewhere. There is the possibility that he is pissed at the team or the team looks at him as poison in the lockers which would rule him out, but it's probably a long shot anyway.

Wouldn't be the worst idea if he is ready and they decide not to bring back Plax. Sanchez seemed to be comfortable throwing to him and he helped stretch the field. I agree its a long shot though.

I can't imagine keeping Mulligan. He is indicative of the lack discipline on offense and should have been benched / cut long ago. The fact that the Jets Offensive coaches keep him around and on the field is mind-boggling.

To me Mulligan has been synonymous with Schott's failure as OC. Of all the players on the roster why can't Schott find a way to gameplan with Mulligan?

If they don't want him back for the lack of discipline I would understand, but would probably tender him anyway, depending on the RFA rules. We might get something back and he's the only blocked we had @ TE. There were other reasons cited for false starts so he might not be awful. There were some advanced stats that rated him hiighly (allegedly) in run blocking. As for Schott, I think he wants receiving tes like Keller, Cumberland and Baker, but needs a banger for Rex's smashmouth game. I would tender him and bring in some serious competition and expect him gone but have him as a worst case fall back @ blocking TE.

If they don't want him back for the lack of discipline I would understand, but would probably tender him anyway, depending on the RFA rules. We might get something back and he's the only blocked we had @ TE. There were other reasons cited for false starts so he might not be awful. There were some advanced stats that rated him hiighly (allegedly) in run blocking. As for Schott, I think he wants receiving tes like Keller, Cumberland and Baker, but needs a banger for Rex's smashmouth game. I would tender him and bring in some serious competition and expect him gone but have him as a worst case fall back @ blocking TE.

100% serious. Best poster on this site.

Damn. Kind of puts a damper on my plan of having Braylon come back, be a good teammate, and dominate the offense so I can proclaim "HA! Told all of you! Braylon > Homes".

Sorry.

Under no circumstances do I want this undisciplined, drive killing clod back on this team. No f$#%ing way.

Archived