Joe Willie speaks about Sanchez

faba

Namath: Sanchez will be fine with right roster

Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes 13

Email Story Print

By RACHEL COHEN, AP

10 hours ago

FILE - In this Oct. 17, 2011, file photo, former New York Jets' player Joe N...

NEW YORK (AP) — Joe Namath had just watched a film about a young quarterback who threw too many interceptions, then learned to trust his teammates and led his club to a championship.

He believes someday the same story could be told about Mark Sanchez.

The Hall of Famer saw the new HBO documentary about his life for the first time at a screening in Manhattan on Wednesday night. Images of the glamorous QB leading the New York Jets to a Super Bowl title inevitably lead to questions about whether the current photogenic starter at that position can finally lead the franchise back to glory.

``He's going to learn from his mistakes,'' Namath said. ``He needs the help around him. He presses at times. He wants to do things because he's expected to.''

``They get the people around him,'' he added, ``he's going to be fine.''

Just look at the city's other quarterback, Eli Manning, Namath said. He's rooting for the Giants in the Super Bowl, by the way.

Namath has been vocal in his criticism of the Jets' leadership at times in recent years and makes clear that's where his concern lies - not with Sanchez.

``I feel awful about my relationship with the Jets right now,'' he said.

``I don't want them upset with Joe, but dammit I have to say what I see, what I think, what I feel. I think we can do some things better,'' Namath said, still referring to the Jets as ``we.''

He won't say Sanchez needs to be a better leader because he doesn't believe a quarterback can boss around those big linemen.

``I didn't push any kind of leadership,'' Namath said. ``Lead by example as a football player, as the quarterback: to know the plan frontwards, backwards; be able to answer; know my guys; convince them I was ready and would give it my best. But no taking over a locker room. You have to have someone with the strength of the guy over in Baltimore - maybe Ray Lewis - you've got to be a beast to do that kind of thing, man.''

Of course, Namath always did things the unconventional way. Teammates in the documentary tell of how he would show up with a hangover at games and still somehow play well.

Namath says he was sober for 13 years after the birth of his children, but his divorce sent him back to drinking. That was revealed very publicly during an on-air interview at a Jets game in 2003, when a visibly drunk Namath repeatedly told ESPN reporter Suzy Kolber he wanted to kiss her.

``I think the way I felt about it at the time was, he's a really good guy having a bad moment that happened to be captured on national television,'' she says in the film.

Namath didn't cooperate with an earlier biography about him, but he said he agreed to help with the documentary because he trusted HBO and its partner in the movie, NFL Films. ``Namath'' premieres Saturday.

As Namath spoke to reporters after the screening, a young woman brought over a coffee. He joked that he initially thought it was Johnnie Walker: ``You see how things have changed.''

Copyright 2012 STATS LLC

What's great is that when he was criticizing Sanchez, some posters here were all over it agreeing with him. I bet those same posters will be in this thread criticizing Joe for not knowing what he's talking about.

Sanchez has the potential to be all right. Potential and "being all right" is two different things.

As far as I am concerned we will find out in about 7 1/2 months if Sanchez is the real deal.........or.......maybe not, and the Jets pull the trigger and bring in Manning and in that case who knows what our season will look like....

Namath in any event knows his stuff, and I would take what he says over any media football x-pert type....

Oh and guys, if we had Namath in his prime in 1982, 1986, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009 and 2010...we would have been in and won most if not all of those super bowls.....trust me.

Namath...your the best there ever was in New York....PERIOD

The "Hard Knocks" clip really stand out now. Namath was simply trying to impart a simple flaw he noticed in how Sanchez takes snaps that could cause fumbles. A smart guy would at least consider Namath had some success and might have a cluen. Instead Sanchez acts like Namath is some old guy looking for empy Bud tins in his recylcing bin.

the most revealing Hard Knocks clip from that episode was Joe, shorts hiked up to his nipples, explaining in the middle of a monsoon to his daughter about hand positions on snaps and her response ....

JW.. Golly Gee, did you see that... he's holdiin his hands wrong... he needs to hold em thisaway ad not thataway!!! Golly Gee

Daughter.. It's really raining really hard, Dad

The "Hard Knocks" clip really stand out now. Namath was simply trying to impart a simple flaw he noticed in how Sanchez takes snaps that could cause fumbles. A smart guy would at least consider Namath had some success and might have a clue. Instead Sanchez acts like Namath is some old guy looking for empty Bud tins in his recycling bin.

the most revealing Hard Knocks clip from that episode was Joe, shorts hiked up to his nipples, explaining in the middle of a monsoon to his daughter about hand positions on snaps and her response ....

JW.. Golly Gee, did you see that... he's holdiin his hands wrong... he needs to hold em thisaway ad not thataway!!! Golly Gee

Daughter.. It's really raining really hard, Dad

So you are anada x-pert hey?

far from an expert on that or anything, J27

just expressing my opinion. Also watched quarterback snaps all of last season and this season and guess what --- just about every quarterback positions his hands the way Mark did and does and NOT the way Namath suggested it be done.

History has proven Joe's always right.

Joe is right a lot of the time and if anyone on this planet should respect his opinions its Rex Ryan .Rex is always saying what he wants to say and claims hes being true to himself. Well Joe claims that same thing in this write up, the guy loves the Jets, and I as a fan would not expect anything less than the truth from him, as should Rex. Joe has been at the facility and watched the team practice and if Rex wants to get better maybe he should bring Joe in as his own personel critic because sometimes Rex is in a dream land and needs to be woken up from time to time.

just expressing my opinion. Also watched quarterback snaps all of last season and this season and guess what --- just about every quarterback positions his hands the way Mark did and does and NOT the way Namath suggested it be done.

Yes but Namath is a QB, SB winning HOFer.....and if he says sanchez is doing something wrong, I would lean to what namath is saying as oppossed to what sanchez is doing......just saying

Joe is right a lot of the time and if anyone on this planet should respect his opinions its Rex Ryan .Rex is always saying what he wants to say and claims hes being true to himself. Well Joe claims that same thing in this write up, the guy loves the Jets, and I as a fan would not expect anything less than the truth from him, as should Rex. Joe has been at the facility and watched the team practice and if Rex wants to get better maybe he should bring Joe in as his own personel critic because sometimes Rex is in a dream land and needs to be woken up from time to time.

Yes.....take a look way back to week 3-4.....Namath hit it on the head about rex, Sanchez, the O-line, Shotty and the rest of the slapdicks.....people just don't like to be reminded that there is sh*t under the carpet!

I get your opinion, but go back and see what Namath said about the entire team in week 3-4....the man knows his stuff.....and he hit it on the head.

Come on Joe....JiF, TOm Shane and the guys say he sucks and will never be any good...why should we believe you instead of them?

Ha! That durnkard. You're actually listening to him? lmfao

Sanchez sucks and Namath's opinion doesnt change that one bit.

Yes but Namath is a QB, SB winning HOFer.....and if he says sanchez is doing something wrong, I would lean to what namath is saying as oppossed to what sanchez is doing......just saying

Really? Namath is an idiot, I don't know that I'd want him around the players very much, except to be wheeled out and paraded around the complex as a relic of the Jets only successful season

Archived