Hope for Sanchez? Who knows, but...

nj meadowlands

The RZ analysis is for the entire year, not just one game.

Sanchez was proficient in this area, any way you want to slice or dice it.

Does that mean he is on the primrose path? Of course not. But, for those that say his accuracy can never be improved, he proved in a number of spots (ok, let's discuss your Buff game), that he can fit the ball. That is all. And that s a start.

Much more to accomplish

Again, I brought up his best game ever (from a pure RZ statistical standpoint), where he did very little and has been given crazy credit for. You don't think 3-4 easy TDs in 1 game (a sizable percentage of the year totals) dramatically affect total year-end rankings?

And on 3 of those 4 he did NOT "fit" the ball, which is half the point.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, I brought up his best game ever (from a pure RZ statistical standpoint), where he did very little and has been given crazy credit for. You don't think 3-4 easy TDs in 1 game (a sizable percentage of the year totals) dramatically affect total year-end rankings?

And on 3 of those 4 he did NOT "fit" the ball, which is half the point.

I am not only working from the RZ rankings, but what I saw from the "eye test".

I witnessed a different QB than I saw in other paerts of the field. Why? I have no idea what is in his head.

The Jets appeared to be more efficient in teh RZ, Sanchez seemed to take better care of the ball in that area than other parts of the field, he seemed to fit the ball in tighter spaces where his guys could catch it, the Jets simulated play action very well in that part of the field, and the numbers back it up.

That is all

I'm not saying that at all. I'm mocking the notion that keeps getting thrown around here, that his failures are due to Schottenheimer and his successes are despite Schottenheimer.

And success on an easy TD throw, with plenty of time to throw it, to players who have no one within 5-10 yards of them is not something I primarily credit the QB for.

It's funny that the Jets brought in Tom Moore as a consultant, and specifically for our RZ failure, and the first year he is here we go from one of the worst, to one of the best. Neither Sanchez, or Schotty should get the BULK of the credit Moore should. Moore installed a very aggressive approach inside the RZ to the Jets offense once they followed that aggressive approach they had success.

If this aggressive approach was used on every play instead of just the RZ maybe 2011 turns out a little better. Or maybe it's worse with the QB continually making mistakes. We will never know unless the Jets move into that direction offensively.

Giants OL sucks and at RT there is less of a difference than you realize. McKenzie is that horrible now.

And cutting bait or not depends on what my options would be and what my predicament is. In other words, it's a lot harder for Tannenbaum to cut bait than it would be for a new GM since he was the one who worked Pennington's contract, he drafted Clemens, he traded for Favre, and he traded for Sanchez. He has much more interest than I do that Sanchez works out.

Me? I'm a fan who wants to see the team win a SB, not a GM. I merely believe Sanchez is a detriment to the offense and will continue to be so (save a tease bright spot here & there but you can get that with any never-gonna-be's). To me, a QB - particularly one who eats up such a sizable portion of the money the team is permitted to spend - should be elevating the play of those around him, not being the reason everyone else on both sides of the ball has to be mistake-free.

According the protection index, the Giants 8th best and the Jets were 22.

The New York Life Protection Index is the authoritative measure of a team’s aptitude in pass protection. In today’s football, the ‘golden age’ of passing, a pro football team’s ability to protect the quarterback is a key attribute to winning games. The New York Life Protection Index was created by sports information leader STATS to provide a composite gauge for this undervalued component of the game. While the New York Life Protection Index is calculated using a proprietary formula, the fundamentals are comprised of the length of a team’s pass attempts combined with penalties by offensive linemen, sacks allowed and quarterback hurries and knockdowns. The New York Life Protection Index is updated weekly throughout the regular season.

Overall

Rank Team Games Index 1 New Orleans Saints 16 88.0 2 Tennessee Titans 16 77.9 3 Detroit Lions 16 77.2 4 Buffalo Bills 16 77.2 5 San Diego Chargers 16 76.9 6 Atlanta Falcons 16 76.2 7 New England Patriots 16 75.3 8 New York Giants 16 73.6 9 Green Bay Packers 16 70.8 10 Cincinnati Bengals 16 67.6 11 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 67.5 12 Oakland Raiders 16 66.8 13 Dallas Cowboys 16 66.1 14 Baltimore Ravens 16 63.8 15 Indianapolis Colts 16 63.4 16 Philadelphia Eagles 16 62.5 17 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 61.7 18 Cleveland Browns 16 60.0 19 Washington Redskins 16 59.7 20 Houston Texans 16 59.6 21 Carolina Panthers 16 59.5 18 Cleveland Browns 16 60.0 19 Washington Redskins 16 59.7 20 Houston Texans 16 59.6 21 Carolina Panthers 16 59.5 22 New York Jets 16 58.6 23 Kansas City Chiefs 16 58.0 24 Arizona Cardinals 16 53.4 25 St. Louis Rams 16 47.6 26 Miami Dolphins 16 47.1 27 San Francisco 49ers 16 47.1 28 Minnesota Vikings 16 46.4

It did Favre in 2008 with his 6 TDs against the Cards and everyone talking about great he was in the first 11 games.

This past year was a perfect storm for our Jets and we ended up being 8-8. The reality is there were 3 games that decided and made our season what it was and those games were the Raiders, Bronocs and Giants. People may not want to hear this but our offense scored enough points to win. The defense did not do or live up to Rex's estimation of what his D is. Whose to blame?....Looking back at this past season, lets just turn the page and be done with it and look forward to 2012.

The defense played great against Denver until the final drive, which never would have happened if Sanchez and the offense hadn't left so many points on the field.

But let's say you're right and the D was to blame for those losses. How about the other 5? How about the 6 games in Mark's career where the D allowed 10 points or less and we still lost? Oh right, those are on Schotty, not Sanchez.

there is hope

I feel sanchez' biggets problem is lack of maturity. the big question is;

will he mature before he gets run out of town ?

That really is the big question and, right now, it looks like he's on a short leash. Rex and Tannenbaum talking about bringing in better backup QBs doesn't exactly speak to their having the ultimate confidence in Mark. Also, this is Rex's fourth year and he's basically a walking punchline right now because of the Super Bowl matchup. You have to wonder at what point he loses patience with Sanchez in order to protect his own image and/or pride.

The defense played great against Denver until the final drive, which never would have happened if Sanchez and the offense hadn't left so many points on the field.

But let's say you're right and the D was to blame for those losses. How about the other 5? How about the 6 games in Mark's career where the D allowed 10 points or less and we still lost? Oh right, those are on Schotty, not Sanchez.

I am not saying Sanchez is not to blame, all I am saying it's not all on Sanchez. I pick those three games because the D did NOT end the game. In the Raider game 17 points should have been enough to win, against Denver 13 was good enough, and against the Giants they had them beat but.......it was a team effort finishing 8-8 thats exactly what I am saying.....

This whole it's this ones fault, no it's this guys fault (insert Sanchez, Holmes, or Schotty) is getting out of control, and I'm as guilty as anyone I for one am going to give it a rest after this post.

A lot of people here don't want to here stats wise Sanchez slightly improved, and the TD record he broke. They say their eyes tell them all they need to know. Other guys myself included have blamed our struggles elsewhere Schotty, Holmes, coaching philosophy ect...

I'm perfectly fine with that, eye test evaluation argument. Let me ask this, what offensive player on the Jets had a good season using the eye evaluation? I didn't see anyone have a good season on the offense using my eyes, no one not even Mangold (mostly because of injury). So let's lay blame where it belongs, the WHOLE OFFENSE, all players, all coaches period! The Jets need to get it fixed plain, and simple I'll leave it at that.

Teams, players, FO's, Coaches, all can get better, or stay bad. Here is to hoping the 2012 NYJ's offense has a great season as a whole, no matter who is wearing the laundry.

This whole it's this ones fault, no it's this guys fault (insert Sanchez, Holmes, or Schotty) is getting out of control, and I'm as guilty as anyone I for one am going to give it a rest after this post.

A lot of people here don't want to here stats wise Sanchez slightly improved, and the TD record he broke. They say their eyes tell them all they need to know. Other guys myself included have blamed our struggles elsewhere Schotty, Holmes, coaching philosophy ect...

I'm perfectly fine with that, eye test evaluation argument. Let me ask this, what offensive player on the Jets had a good season using the eye evaluation? I didn't see anyone have a good season on the offense using my eyes, no one not even Mangold (mostly because of injury). So let's lay blame where it belongs, the WHOLE OFFENSE, all players, all coaches period! The Jets need to get it fixed plain, and simple I'll leave it at that.

Teams, players, FO's, Coaches, all can get better, or stay bad. Here is to hoping the 2012 NYJ's offense has a great season as a whole, no matter who is wearing the laundry.

So you're offering a truce? Thank God, this is exhausting.

Everyone except Sanchez and Hunter. Duh. ;)

I am not saying Sanchez is not to blame, all I am saying it's not all on Sanchez. I pick those three games because the D did NOT end the game. In the Raider game 17 points should have been enough to win, against Denver 13 was good enough, and against the Giants they had them beat but.......it was a team effort finishing 8-8 thats exactly what I am saying.....

And Sanchez is the problem because in each instance you cite a decent or servicable QB puts those games away with some drives instead of letting an inferior opponent hang around(Raiders, Broncos, Dolphins) or not driving the field on the Jints alte in the 4th. Dare I say a superior QB wins those games. The margin for error everyone else on the team is nothing because the QB cannot do the job, turning the ball over twice a game, costing his team 8-9 points and habitually doing the 3 and out.How much does the defense and punter have to do to clean up mess after mess?

One more thing about "superior QBs" and the Super Bowl. 2 nonsuperior winners since 2001 were abberations.Dilfer's Ravens beat Kerry Collins' Giants, Brad Johnson's Bucs beat Gannon's Raiders. Basically there wasn't a superior QB on the field in each game. WOuld suggest again between rules changes and the way the game is played that is not going to happen again. You aren't advancing and probably not going to win if you don't have a real QB.

The on-field team led by Mark Sanchez, yes. Players lost confidence in him, including the best player on the offense...which btw is a role Sanchez should have, but doesn't...which is why they lost confidence in him.

He's going to have to be reeeeeeeallly good next season for him to even finish the season as the QB.

And Sanchez is the problem because in each instance you cite a decent or servicable QB puts those games away with some drives instead of letting an inferior opponent hang around(Raiders, Broncos, Dolphins) or not driving the field on the Jints alte in the 4th. Dare I say a superior QB wins those games. The margin for error everyone else on the team is nothing because the QB cannot do the job, turning the ball over twice a game, costing his team 8-9 points and habitually doing the 3 and out.How much does the defense and punter have to do to clean up mess after mess?

One more thing about "superior QBs" and the Super Bowl. 2 nonsuperior winners since 2001 were abberations.Dilfer's Ravens beat Kerry Collins' Giants, Brad Johnson's Bucs beat Gannon's Raiders. Basically there wasn't a superior QB on the field in each game. WOuld suggest again between rules changes and the way the game is played that is not going to happen again. You aren't advancing and probably not going to win if you don't have a real QB.

I get what your saying...but....did we have the lead?...Yes......the team efforts were exactly what our record states....8-8.

The on-field team led by Mark Sanchez, yes. Players lost confidence in him, including the best player on the offense...which btw is a role Sanchez should have, but doesn't...which is why they lost confidence in him.

He's going to have to be reeeeeeeallly good next season for him to even finish the season as the QB.

And you right...he is going to have to be really good this season.....no more excuses.

wanna bet?

I would want to believe, that Shotty was the major issue on our offense. With that said, I hope Sanchez improves, our O-Line improves, our running game improves, our WR's improve and at the heart of all this we have an OC that uses what he has to their capability and excels on that. That's what I would like to happen. Whether that translates to field play maybe another story. But with that also said, come the fact that Rex and the D must also improve. It can't be all on Sanchez realistically speaking.

I would want to believe, that Shotty was the major issue on our offense. With that said, I hope Sanchez improves, our O-Line improves, our running game improves, our WR's improve and at the heart of all this we have an OC that uses what he has to their capability and excels on that. That's what I would like to happen. Whether that translates to field play maybe another story. But with that also said, come the fact that Rex and the D must also improve. It can't be all on Sanchez realistically speaking.

I was commenting merely on the fact that there won't be excuses anymore...

I think he gets six games, make or break. If he's anything less than great, Rex is shoving him under the bus.

Dunno about that. Say his first six games shake out to the tune of 58%, 13 TD, 12 INT, 2 rush TD, 4 fumbles (2 lost), but the team is 5-1. When the media starts sniffing around the inaccuracy and the turnovers, Rex'll mumble something about adjusting to Luigi's system, give us the "he's a winner, that's good enough for me" speech, and delay the inevitable by at least another half-season.

Dunno about that. Say his first six games shake out to the tune of 58%, 13 TD, 12 INT, 2 rush TD, 4 fumbles (2 lost), but the team is 5-1. When the media starts sniffing around the inaccuracy and the turnovers, Rex'll mumble something about adjusting to Luigi's system, give us the "he's a winner, that's good enough for me" speech, and delay the inevitable by at least another half-season.

Call me Patty Pessimist, but if Sanchez put up that stat line, I don't think the rest of the team will be able to squeeze out 5-1 unless they draft Von Miller Jr.

lol@ Luigi, btw. Classic.

Call me Patty Pessimist, but if Sanchez put up that stat line, I don't think the rest of the team will be able to squeeze out 5-1 unless they draft Von Miller Jr.

Probably not. But I'm not yet buying into the idea that Rex is going to jettison Sanchez at the first available opportunity. The best-case scenario for Rex and Tannenbaum is that the kid turns into a franchise starter, and they've proven that they'll use any means at their disposal to delude themselves into thinking that's the case. Every game we win resets the clock, regardless of how bad Sanchez plays.

lol@ Luigi, btw. Classic.

Wish I could take credit for it. I'm just spreading the gospel.

Archived