Jarrett Johnson, OLB Ravens

JonEJet

Is this guy a possibility for the Jets to fill Bryan Thomas' spot at OLB

Real team leader in Baltimore, and has ties with Rex

Obviously would like to get young at the position, but getting a guy like this allows us to draft skill positions early in this years draft...just a thought

Johnson is a bit older...so not sure what he'd get on the open market....maybe something like Shaun Ellis got

4-5 Million

Or, you can try this innovation: why not expect your GM to find an undersized DE in the late rounds that you can turn into a young, cheap version of low-impact Jarrett Johnson instead of going out and overpaying for another of Ozzie Newsome's expendable veterans?

Or, you can try this innovation: why not expect your GM to find an undersized DE in the late rounds that you can turn into a young, cheap version of low-impact Jarrett Johnson instead of going out and overpaying for another of Ozzie Newsome's expendable veterans?

No. I do not like this idea.

I'd prefer to maintain the status quo, as that has worked well.

Was just having this conversation with my buddy who's a Giants fan...look at their entire roster, the only name they have that wasnt drafted was Antrell Rolle, who's coincidentally the biggest mouth/malcontent on the team....and then look at the Jets roster. Its full of guys on their second contract who were drafted elsewhere. The philsophy makes no sense.

Vernon Gholston just LOL'd.

Lawlz and +1

Johnson isn't an impact talent at all...I'd rather sign Matt Roth if we're shooting for mediocrity.

There isn't anyone I can think of in FA besides Williams that would be a welcome DE/OLB upgrade.

Because of COCKS like you that won't give the GM the time it takes to develope that low round DE conversion into an actual player

Was just having this conversation with my buddy who's a Giants fan...look at their entire roster, the only name they have that wasnt drafted was Antrell Rolle, who's coincidentally the biggest mouth/malcontent on the team....and then look at the Jets roster. Its full of guys on their second contract who were drafted elsewhere. The philsophy makes no sense.

It's not a philosophy....it's just where they are...they loaded the roster in '08 and '09 with FAs...'08 because the team needed it and they signed good guys...in turn that opened the door to acquire a gamechanging QB as most other positions were filled and ready...they went and got Favre...things honestly would be going alright if the QB after Favre wasn't such a major miss to this point. An NFL roster ages incredibly quickly, and if there's no QB to cushion the fall you get years like this past one...usually it's even worse TBH.

It's just lag...it was bound to happen the way Sanchez has come along sofar.

It's not a philosophy....it's just where they are...they loaded the roster in '08 and '09 with FAs...'08 because the team needed it and they signed good guys...in turn that opened the door to acquire a gamechanging QB as most other positions were filled and ready...they went and got Favre...things honestly would be going alright if the QB after Favre wasn't such a mak

Right...and the only consistent piece in all of this has been Tannenbaum. Other Brick, Mangold and Revis....the drafts have been a total disaster...and he's trying to make up for it by overspending for stiffs like Calvin Pace in FA.

There's zero depth on this roster. You cant draft fullbacks in the 5th round and not expect it to bite you in the a$$ at some point. Its a position that can be filled with a breathing body.

You must have missed it.

It made plenty of sense in 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.

Is this guy a possibility for the Jets to fill Bryan Thomas' spot at OLB

Real team leader in Baltimore, and has ties with Rex

Obviously would like to get young at the position, but getting a guy like this allows us to draft skill positions early in this years draft...just a thought

No! keep tide players away, jets should invest in Clemson players, they are all over NFL

Because it's easier said than done. Every team that runs a 3-4 tries to do it. See Westermann. It's really a difficult position to play and with so many teams that run a 3-4; add the colts to that list now, the supply is drying up quicker

While the Giants do a better job in the draft then the Jets they do acquire free agents: Michael Boley, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, Kareem McKenzie, was drafted by the Jets, just to name a few. The thing is you need to draft well and bring in pieces through free agency, not the whole team, ask the Eagles if that works. Look at the Packers only four players on their 2011 roster were drafted by another team. The Jets need to restock the shelves via the draft. Bring in some young, athletic and cheaper players.

Right...and the only consistent piece in all of this has been Tannenbaum. Other Brick, Mangold and Revis....the drafts have been a total disaster...and he's trying to make up for it by overspending for stiffs like Calvin Pace in FA.

There's zero depth on this roster. You cant draft fullbacks in the 5th round and not expect it to bite you in the a$$ at some point. Its a position that can be filled with a breathing body.

Harris? Wilkerson? Even Wilson and Slauson, guys who emerged after their rookie season? Kerley? Who'd we even miss out on in the 5th round of the 2010 draft (I'll spot you Greg Hardy, who I only name because g'dammit that guy is/was talented)? Arthur Jones? Am I really supposed to be pissed Tannenbaum missed out on Antonio Brown, who was passed over by 30 other teams 190 or so times?

Pace wasn't a stiff then and isn't a stiff now. That was a good signing that would have been even better had Gholston worked out or you know...the QBs were better.

Yes, they sacraficed a little depth for the '08-'10 roster. It woulda/coulda/shoulda been worth it, because at least two of those teams coulda/woulda/shoulda been elite with better/more consistent QB play. You're hindsight attacking what was a ploy that 9/10 GMs in Tannenbaum's shoes would have done....Not to mention that the team couldn't sign any real impact FAs (like an Antrel Rolle, who would have been perfect here) because of that bs rule in '09 and '10. I chalk it up to sh*t happens man...As you complain the roster is slowly turning over anyway. They had a shot, they took it, it didn't happen, and sometimes stuff like an 8-8 season and no playoffs happens...Spilled milk at best.

Harris? Wilkerson? Even Wilson and Slauson, guys who emerged after their rookie season? Kerley? Who'd we even miss out on in the 5th round of the 2010 draft (I'll spot you Greg Hardy, who I only name because g'dammit that guy is/was talented)? Arthur Jones? Am I really supposed to be pissed Tannenbaum missed out on Antonio Brown, who was passed over by 30 other teams 190 or so times?

Pace wasn't a stiff then and isn't a stiff now. That was a good signing that would have been even better had Gholston worked out or you know...the QBs were better.

Yes, they sacraficed a little depth for the '08-'10 roster. It woulda/coulda/shoulda been worth it, because at least two of those teams coulda/woulda/shoulda been elite with better/more consistent QB play. You're hindsight attacking what was a ploy that 9/10 GMs in Tannenbaum's shoes would have done....Not to mention that the team couldn't sign any real impact FAs (like an Antrel Rolle, who would have been perfect here) because of that bs rule in '09 and '10. I chalk it up to sh*t happens man...As you complain the roster is slowly turning over anyway. They had a shot, they took it, it didn't happen, and sometimes stuff like an 8-8 season and no playoffs happens...Spilled milk at best.

Tanny doesnt pick any players, he may be on phone to tell runner what pick will be made,,,,,,, right after the HC writes the name down

The Jets are in transition. They really have no choice but to use this year's draft heavily to build the team. They are now paying the price for the hard and fast building of the team. They had success and made play-off runs building in a manner, no other team in the NFL has, but when you develop a team this way the window closes faster.

The Jets have relied on free agents, trading draft pick for veterans and being aggressive in the draft to build. Even Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, with all his dumb free agent moves, have drafted 39 players over the last 5 years, only 23 for the Jets. Unfortunately the Jets building strategy has strained cap resources, the team lacks replacements for older or underperforming players and lacks depth.

Tanny and co will have to draft well this year because they will need to rely on these young players a lot. These young players will be asked to step in and contribute right away and hopefully they can.

Tanny doesnt pick any players, he may be on phone to tell runner what pick will be made,,,,,,, right after the HC writes the name down

I figured this was the case given the drastic shift in players under Rex, where they've gone more for the raw athlete with size deal. Did the Rex hire come with any new scouts?

Guys like Connor, both McKnights, Powell, Ducasse were total wastes of picks. When you have consecutive drafts of 3 and 4 total picks, that cant happen. Drafting a Matt Slauson late is what the Giants do every year...they find guys in those later rounds that contribute...we draft fullbacks.

Archived