Kentucky Jet

Jets

The latest from the combine

February, 26, 2012

Feb 26

3:52

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

A Jets' perspective on some developments at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis:

1. The wide receivers were timed Sunday and, to me, the most eye-opening performance came from Notre Dame's Michael Floyd, who clocked an impressive 4.47 in the 40. That speed, coupled with his 6-foot-3 frame, makes him attractive in the middle of the first round. The Jets, picking 16th, need a No. 2 WR to play opposite Santonio Holmes. Floyd has some off-the-field concerns, so he will have to be checked out in the coming weeks.

2. Baylor's Kendall Wright (5-10) was regarded as the No. 2 WR in the draft, behind Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon, but he may have lost that spot to Floyd by running a disappointing 4.61. The general feeling about Wright is he plays a lot faster than he times, but scouts will be looking for a faster time at his Pro Day.

3. Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu (6-2) produced monster numbers last season as a possession receiver, but he ran only 4.67 -- a pedestrian time. He reportedly showed terrific hands in the gauntlet drill, when receivers are exposed to rapid-fire passes, but that 40 time probably will keep him out of the first round. ESPN draft expert Todd McShay had this to say about Sanu: "I like him, he's physical, he has good hands, but he's way overrated. He can't get open." Maybe he'd be a second-round option for the Jets.

4. South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram checked in at 6-foot-2, 264 pounds, and that's important to the Jets because ... well, Ingram has dropped 12 pounds since the Senior Bowl. He's showing teams he's willing to make the transition to 3-4 OLB after playing 4-3 DE. The Jets, of course, need a pass-rushing OLB in the worst way. Ingram has been working out with Broncos pass rusher Von Miller, a good guy to emulate. If Ingram lasts until 16, I'd say he's a definite possibility for the Jets.

5. A couple of offensive linemen linked to the Jets turned in impressive performances. Stanford G Dave DeCastro, projected as a mid-first rounder, recorded the best three-cone time (7.3 seconds) since 2008. Ohio State T/G Cordy Glenn came in a shade below 6-foot-6 at 345 pounds and ran an impressive 4.93 in the 40. He played left tackle last season, but some see him at a right tackle in the NFL or maybe even a guard.

As if Cimini knows the first thing about breaking down draft prospects. People show him film and his first response is "what am I looking for?"

As for Sanu, he plays faster than his time. He runs good routes and that makes up a bit of time, plus he fights for the ball and inside leverage counts for a lot. He may never be a true number one but he certainly has the ability to be a good receiver.

Still at receiver, draft Stephen Hill.

1. The wide receivers were timed Sunday and, to me, the most eye-opening performance came from Notre Dame's Michael Floyd, who clocked an impressive 4.47 in the 40. That speed, coupled with his 6-foot-3 frame, makes him attractive in the middle of the first round. The Jets, picking 16th, need a No. 2 WR to play opposite Santonio Holmes. Floyd has some off-the-field concerns, so he will have to be checked out in the coming weeks.

The Jets are unlikely to take a WR at 16.

I've been saying that for weeks... and yet I have to point out that Floyd's stock is going to be exactly in that range of late teens.

If he doesn't go 16 to NYJ it's a hop skip and jump to CIN at 17 or CHI at 19... or further HOUSTON in the late 20's need a #2.

Personally, I feel this player is not a fit and probably a late 1st (i.e. his agent is being hopeful). but he's certainly in the mix. I also don't like drafting a #2 WR in rd 1. If they are in some sort of worst case scenario where both Ingram, Upshaw are gone and TR, Adams, Glenn is gone on offense, that might be the BAP. at one point Michael Floyd was the best prep WR in America.

How many of you believe that Sanchez is holding back this team??? If so we need a QB. Is there one in the draft that is better then him? I say yes but one of them are out of reach. What would it take to get to the number two spot??? Or would it be better to go get Manning or Flynn in fa or trade depending on what their teams do.

FA/draft season turns Cimini into Peter King.

The Jets need a wide receiver, and Michael Floyd is one. Could he be a fit? Stay tuned.

Kendall Wright didn't run well at the Combine and hopes to run better in the future. What a world.

Local kid Mohamed Sanu fits a need, but Todd McShay says he's terrible. I say he's got Jets' 2nd-rounder written all over him, maybe.

Melvin Ingram's a motivated, talented guy who fills a position of need for the Jets. Is he a possibility at #16? Let's put it this way: he's not not a possibility!

David DeCastro and Cordy Glenn are big guys who play football and ran at the Combine.

Just saw 30 seconds worth of highlights of Blackmon. I have a hard on for him now.

With his wingspan, he could give you an end-zone handie from the five-yard line.

He doesn't run very fast, but he catches everything in sight...I think he might be the best WR2 in the draft.

With his wingspan, he could give you an end-zone handie from the five-yard line.

He doesn't run very fast, but he catches everything in sight...I think he might be the best WR2 in the draft.

This is what makes him such a risky choice. He is going in the top 10, and if you are drafting a WR that high he had better be a #1....He also isn't that tall, not even 6'1"...

This is what makes him such a risky choice. He is going in the top 10, and if you are drafting a WR that high he had better be a #1....He also isn't that tall, not even 6'1"...

40 speed is overrated. The great receivers don't beat corners is a foot race, anyway. They beat them off the line and by carving up zone coverage.

The Jets are unlikely to take a WR at 16.

I've been saying that for weeks... and yet I have to point out that Floyd's stock is going to be exactly in that range of late teens.

If he doesn't go 16 to NYJ it's a hop skip and jump to CIN at 17 or CHI at 19... or further HOUSTON in the late 20's need a #2.

Personally, I feel this player is not a fit and probably a late 1st (i.e. his agent is being hopeful). but he's certainly in the mix. I also don't like drafting a #2 WR in rd 1. If they are in some sort of worst case scenario where both Ingram, Upshaw are gone and TR, Adams, Glenn is gone on offense, that might be the BAP. at one point Michael Floyd was the best prep WR in America.

Why don't you think Floyd is a fit, bit? Seems like his major knocks are off the field, is that why? On the field he's I think clearly the 2nd best WR in the draft, and a pretty good fit for what the Jets need actually. Really good size, which I think would be nice across from Holmes, very fluid with good hands and enough speed combined with that height and overall athleticism to be a threat downfield which is a must IMO. Holmes really struggled when team's didn't have to have safety help across from him on Burress this year. More polished than a lot of the big talented guys in this draft too (Hill, Streeter). That said if they can get Rueben Randle in the second round somehow that's a comparable skill set and much better value.

Also completely off topic from Floyd and the WR's, if the Jets don't love Upshaw or Ingram at OLB and Fletcher Cox is on the board at 16, is he an option? Might bring almost as much pass rush from the 5-tech as they would standing up, and seems like a better bet to be a good player overall. No questions about his physical skill set, with a pretty good motor and some productivity to go with it.

Why don't you think Floyd is a fit, bit? Seems like his major knocks are off the field, is that why?

Also completely off topic from Floyd and the WR's, if the Jets don't love Upshaw or Ingram at OLB and Fletcher Cox is on the board at 16, is he an option?

when Floyd left the bowl game after being punched in the gut it was a metaphor for his career. Great player but not tough.

Cox is a beast, as I told Gato, he's definately a fit and he should be gone by 16. but I think everyone is gonna be gone at 16. He's my #1 DT right now over Brockers.

I wouldn't touch a great possession guy (who can't get separation) that high. Definitely not in the top-5 where he is projected.

So we might have a legitimate shot at the kid...

when Floyd left the bowl game after being punched in the gut it was a metaphor for his career. Great player but not tough.

Cox is a beast, as I told Gato, he's definately a fit and he should be gone by 16. but I think everyone is gonna be gone at 16. He's my #1 DT right now over Brockers.

Thanks for the response. Fair about Floyd, definitely has his warts. A shame, because his skill set is basically exactly what the team needs at the WR spot right now IMO.

Obviously different positions, but if Cox and Upshaw are on the board who do you take/who do you think the Jets take?

40 speed is overrated. The great receivers don't beat corners is a foot race, anyway. They beat them off the line and by carving up zone coverage.

Actually the "great" ones do beat corners in a foot race. They out-run them, out-jump them, and then catch everything thrown their way.

The "good" ones can do 2 outta the 3.

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitz

I think Blackmon will be a good reciever, but not great.

Thanks for the response. Fair about Floyd, definitely has his warts. A shame, because his skill set is basically exactly what the team needs at the WR spot right now IMO.

Obviously different positions, but if Cox and Upshaw are on the board who do you take/who do you think the Jets take?

Take a serious look at Stephen Hill, I broke him down in another thread. He appears to be the real deal

Actually the "great" ones do beat corners in a foot race. They out-run them, out-jump them, and then catch everything thrown their way.

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitz

Drunk i

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitz

Drunk, iphone

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitz

IMO, Andre Joh son is the only one of the three that can use his foot speed to beat corners. The other two make their catches with corners consistently on their hip. I don't know if Blackmon can do that or not. I'm just saying, if he runs a 4.49-4.55/40, he's still the guy I'm praying for.

IMO, Andre Joh son is the only one of the three that can use his foot speed to beat corners. The other two make their catches with corners consistently on their hip. I don't know if Blackmon can do that or not. I'm just saying, if he runs a 4.49-4.55/40, he's still the guy I'm praying for.

The Johnson brothers can jump out of the building. Similar to Blackmon.

And they can catch anything thrown within 8 feet of them. Similar to Blackmon.

But they hit 10 yards within three strides because they're freakin enormous.

Blackmon would be amazing on our team, but his strength wouldn't be getting deep separation from defenders, that would be Santonio's role, and he would make Santonio a better reciever for it... In fact, he would even make Sanchez's off target passes catchable.

I'm all for Justin Blackmon, and it wouldn't be a hard sell to the fan base if the draft's 3rd best talent was picked up at #16. I would just be concerned about those that think he's going to be the next Megatron, or Larry.

Holy sh*t, I hadn't seen this before tonight. They actually reference Plaxico in the first 30 seconds, and say that Blackmon has greater range than Plax despite being 4'' shorter. hmmm.

They also point out that he specializes in catching poorly thrown balls. hmmm.

Cox but I think the Jets take Upshaw.

I don't like Floyd much either. I think he's more Braylon Edwards than he is Andre Johnson.

I know people said Holmes was open and Sanchez didn't go to him a number of times but I didn't see that at all to be honest. So if we're drafting a 1st round WR or even a 2nd round WR it had damn well better be one that can create seperation on his own. Trying to create by using these 5 yard slants is getting old give me an excellent combination route runner/speed demon.

I still think the guy we should take is Mark Barron...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632196/mark-barron

Man Coverage: Not often asked to drop down and cover the slot in this scheme. Is a bit stiff in the hips and has only average change of direction. Does show a late burst to close on the football.

Zone Coverage: Good instincts and overall athleticism for zone coverage. A bit high in his backpedal as he's a high cut athlete, but can plant and drive downhill on the football. Reads the quarterback's eyes and has good feet, balance and straight-line speed, aiding him in being in consistently good position when in pass coverage.

Ball Skills: Classic ball hawk. Reads the quarterback's eyes and does a nice job of breaking on the throw. Good acceleration and straight-line speed. Very good ball skills for the position. Generally times his leaps well and has good hand-eye coordination to make the difficult grab. Good vision and natural running skills with the football.

Run Support: Reads run quickly and aggressively attacks, taking out blockers when he has help behind him. Unafraid of playing near the line of scrimmage, though he shows only average strength and technique to disengage. Good agility and speed to avoid blockers, showing an ability to make a lot of plays at or near the line of scrimmage. Prone to overrunning the play, however, and leaving potential cutback lanes for backs to exploit.

Tackling: Isn't as reliable an open-field tackler as you'd think, considering his reputation. Flies upfield in run support and can fail to break down properly. Doesn't possess the elite agility to dance with runners in the open field and always make the secure stop. Physical hitter who teases with textbook hit-lift-drive technique, but will also duck his head occasion to make the big hit and miss entirely or fail to wrap up securely and have the ball-carrier spin through his attempted tackle. Among his better traits, however, is his ability to take good angles when in pursuit. Understands his role as the last line of defense and rarely allows ball-carriers to get past him when he is in this position.

Intangibles: Arrested in March 2011 on charges of hindering prosecution, a misdemeanor charge, as police believed he was not telling full truth about one-car accident in his hometown of Mobile. Missed the Capital One Bowl after suffering a torn right pectoral muscle against Auburn. The injury played a major factor in Barron electing to return to Alabama for his senior season.

Let's see: injury? arrest? poor tackler? yikes

I'm still hoping they trade back and pick up more picks if Upshaw, Richardson, and Blackmon are gone.

Just trade back in general *IF* you can and *IF* there's no talent there that absolutely blows you away. The more pieces, the better. We need an infusion of youth on both sides of the ball.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.cbssports...196/mark-barron

Let's see: injury? arrest? poor tackler? yikes

The arrest was very minor, so what if he isn't a choir boy? He was a captain on one of the best defenses in the past several seasons of college football. He appears to be a solid tackler, I'm sure he has missed some tackles, but look at any Safety prospect's write up they all miss tackles or can't cover...He is the best player at his position in the draft, and it isn't all that close. We need to find two new Safeties this offseason on the cheap; that isn't going to happen via free agency...

Archived