Dyer: Peyton's Place isn't New York

flgreen

Dyer: Peyton’s Place Isn’t New York

March 2, 2012 10:02 AM

Add CBS New York to your Timeline to share with your friends.

peyton-manning.jpg?w=300

(credit: Rob Carr/Getty Images)

By Kristian Dyer

» More Columns

Peyton’s place can’t be New York. Well, at least it shouldn’t be.

The rumors have been out there, dotting the backpage of New York tabloids. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is supposedly on his way to the New York Jets. The move would make it a Manning town, setting him up to compete with brother Eli’s crosstown rival the Giants. It’s a move that the Jets in the past would have been likely to make, bringing in a big name player at the end of his career to make a playoff run. It would be just another “same old” move from this team.

But it can’t be this year, even if it comes at the expense of a winning season. The Jets must look to the future and break this trend of renting “hired guns” for a season or two. The future of this team, whether Jets fans like it or not, is Mark Sanchez.

From this year forward, the Jets must begin to form an identity and not look for quick fixes year in and year out. There’s been a lack of sustained success with the “buy now” approach of management, meaning that players such as Brett Favre, LaDainian Tomlinson and Plaxico Burress all achieved a relative lack of attainment while with the Jets. This coupled with the Jets woeful draft record the past two seasons means that outside of a handful of big name stars, there’s an alarming lack of young talent waiting in the wings.

As frustrating as the development – or lack thereof – of Sanchez has been these past three seasons, the answer isn’t to cut ties. Instead, Sanchez must be put into a system where he can succeed. The offensive line must improve, new coordinator Tony Sparano needs to embrace the play-action and the team needs to find some playmakers with game-changing speed. Perhaps there is addition by subtraction to Sanchez’s game just by bringing in Sparano, who replaces the predictable and unpopular Brian Schottenheimer. Perhaps this alone can salvage a bland career trajectory by Sanchez.

To bring in Manning, even if he is fully recovered from his multiple neck surgeries over the course of the past year, just isn’t the best answer for the team.

Instead, the Jets and their fans need to realize that they have to build towards the future. Spoiled from consecutive AFC Championship Game appearances the previous two years, it will be a fundamental shift in mentality for a team that was in “win-now” mode last season. But to give up on their top five selection from three years ago after some mild progress was made last season is just foolish.

Let’s be honest, while Sanchez has yet to live up to the hype or his “Sanchise” billing, he isn’t a bust. Bringing in Manning right now would be a clear cut act of desperation on the part of the Jets.

This team isn’t at this point, not even after the disappointment of last year.

It wasn’t all Sanchez’s fault last year and it certainly isn’t his fault that the Jets traded up to draft him three years ago, overpaying and over evaluating his talent. This offense has more problems than just Sanchez and he should be the least of their concerns.

A stagnant ground game, a porous offensive line, lack of depth at the tight end position and wide receivers who failed to consistently achieve separation all hampered Sanchez’s development.

Factor in a locker room with more finger pointing than a playground and it is easy to understand why a young quarterback would be unable to make the necessary strides to elevate the offense and the team. Does this all change under Manning?

The answer is a clear and resounding “No.”

That’s not to completely exonerate Sanchez. He still made poor decisions, forcing the ball, placating his temperamental wide receivers with poorly timed passes and still not going beyond one-read on his progression. But to suddenly place all this emphasis on Manning as the offense’s savior is failing to look at the real problems this team has with the chemistry and personnel surrounding the quarterback.

Not even “Broadway Joe” himself, the iconic Joe Namath, could have made this offense click on all cylinders.

To give up on Sanchez now would completely undermine his confidence moving forward, all but dooming the former first round pick to leaving New York when his contract is up. It isn’t the way to build a team.

Kristian R. Dyer covers the Jets for Metro New York and contributes to Yahoo!Sports. Follow him on Twitter @KristianRDyer for Jets news.

Every team with good chemistry would continue to have good chemistry with a wimpy QB who has tunnel vision, no feel for the game, can't throw the ball where he wants it to go, and squanders dozens of opportunities his defense gives him by putting them right back onto the field. The QBs leadership and playing skills have no impact on how the team comes together. None.

No team could possibly win a superbowl with personalities like Santonio Holmes or Plaxico Burress on it.

Not even Broadway Joe could make this offense click on all cylinders?

We're not asking for all cylinders, that's way too much to hope for, but how about a few? How many cylinders are there anyway? Twelve? Anyone know?

I don't even know her point, is she saying that Brees or Rogers couldn't save this offense?

Does she really think locker room finger pointing is why Sanchez is a terrible QB? How much locker room finger pointing has there been throughout his career. If anything, this kid has had his a$$ kissed from the time he arrived right up until Holmes threw his little hissy fit. I love this generation and how all of their failures have not being "supported and nurtured" enough at their root. Unreal.

Placating his receivers with poorly timed passes?????? Can someone explain THAT sentence to me? I don't even know where to begin on that one. Does she really think Mark Sanchez, is sitting back in the pocket going, "Gotta get this baw to Holmes, he's been weally, weally sad watewy."

Again, how long have his receivers been "temperamental"? And how long has he flat out sucked? In one paragraph she says that he has made strides this year and in the next she says that the wide receivers and/or Schotty are mostly to blame for his failures, the fact that he has made poor decision, forced the ball and can still only make one-read progressions after THREE full years as an NFL QB being the other culprits (but hey, those are little things)

Can everyone be a writer? What are the qualifications? Good sentence structure?

Ha. It's not a chick. Kristian is not Kristen.

Regardless, on the one hand, Jets fans point to the Steelers as an organization who knows when to cut ties and throw up the white flag on a player. On the other hand, the preach more patience with a guy who is so clearly not getting it done, nor improving enough, and those are the words of the Jets GM, not just the fans.

This is one of those "more patience" articles. If the Jets cut ties with Sanchez, it's a mistake, if the Steelers did the exact same thing, they'd be looked at as brilliant for not waiting around for something that isn't working.

My take on the author's point is we do not need to keep trying to "quick fix" a team with a player on the downside of a brilliant career. That has been the Jets modus operandi for who knows how long and it has yet to produce the desired glory. Manning is not the answer and will only have a short shelf life even if he came here.

Sanchez needs competition. He should have been forced to win the job from the very get go. To try and solve that error by signing Manning and discarding Sanchez IMO is just repeating the mistakes the Jets always make.

If the Jets want to make a statement then sign a younger, hungrier, free agent QB (Flynn maybe?) or draft another potential QB.

But try and catch a falling star and dumping a once promising but now struggling QB for peanuts seems counter productive to me.

Ha. It's not a chick. Kristian is not Kristen.

Regardless, on the one hand, Jets fans point to the Steelers as an organization who knows when to cut ties and throw up the white flag on a player. On the other hand, the preach more patience with a guy who is so clearly not getting it done, nor improving enough, and those are the words of the Jets GM, not just the fans.

This is one of those "more patience" articles. If the Jets cut ties with Sanchez, it's a mistake, if the Steelers did the exact same thing, they'd be looked at as brilliant for not waiting around for something that isn't working.

Big difference cutting the older, slower 10+ year veteran of the Steelers than cutting a fourth year QB to bring in the former best QB in the NFL. I picture Johnny Unitas with the Chargers. Maybe you see it differently.

My take on the author's point is we do not need to keep trying to "quick fix" a team with a player on the downside of a brilliant career. That has been the Jets modus operandi for who knows how long and it has yet to produce the desired glory. Manning is not the answer and will only have a short shelf life even if he came here.

Sanchez needs competition. He should have been forced to win the job from the very get go. To try and solve that error by signing Manning and discarding Sanchez IMO is just repeating the mistakes the Jets always make.

If the Jets want to make a statement then sign a younger, hungrier, free agent QB (Flynn maybe?) or draft another potential QB.

But try and catch a falling star and dumping a once promising but now struggling QB for peanuts seems counter productive to me.

Flynn is going to get starter money, imo. Don't see how that's really a plausible option unless we dump Sanchez.

Flynn is going to get starter money, imo. Don't see how that's really a plausible option unless we dump Sanchez.

I'd only advocate instead of signing Manning. You are correct signing either most likely leads to cutting Sanchez.

Big difference cutting the older, slower 10+ year veteran of the Steelers than cutting a fourth year QB to bring in the former best QB in the NFL. I picture Johnny Unitas with the Chargers. Maybe you see it differently.

I don't know how Manning would pan out. I know I'd be more excited going into the football season than I know I will be with Sanchez. I do however doubt that Manning at whatever age he is wouldn't throw two picks to the same defensive lineman in a game. That's got to be some kind of record.

Sanchez sucks and that is why there is all this discussion going on. And it isn't just on message boards; the Jets know it also. Only way Sanchez is the starter next year is if we're stuck with him or if this "competition" is someone just as bad or worse, as anyone should expect him to get the benefit of the doubt over a Henne type.

Competition, lol. What a built-in excuse cop-out. I can't think of a really inaccurate QB who has crappy pocket presence and an emo personality who straightened himself out because of competition. Maybe there are a ton of examples but none come to mind.

Competition is going to help bring out the best in a player who isn't pushing himself physically OR someone who was playing at a very high level but whose performance has trailed off due to flat-out laziness. A RB who's always nursing some sort of boo-boo; a lineman who isn't putting time in the weight room or is getting fat; or someone who's generally dogging it out on the field; a player (QB or otherwise) who sucks because he just doesn't know the playbook for lack of studying. Competition isn't going to make Sanchez smarter, more accurate, make him read more than just his first option, make him see zone coverage, help him lead his receivers, make him hold a football within 2 feet of his body, etc. A QB is supposed to be able to do certain things already by the time he's in an NFL huddle.

Manning, Brees, etc. If there's a way to bring one in bring one in. Hell, bring in anyone.

I don't know how Manning would pan out. I know I'd be more excited going into the football season than I know I will be with Sanchez. I do however doubt that Manning at whatever age he is wouldn't throw two picks to the same defensive lineman in a game. That's got to be some kind of record.

See Richard Todd and AJ Duhe in Miami Mud Bowl

EDIT-I see now, that Duhe was actually a LB, but I thought I recall him playing "down" -my mistake

Sanchez sucks and that is why there is all this discussion going on. And it isn't just on message boards; the Jets know it also. Only way Sanchez is the starter next year is if we're stuck with him or if this "competition" is someone just as bad or worse, as anyone should expect him to get the benefit of the doubt over a Henne type.

Competition, lol. What a built-in excuse cop-out. I can't think of a really inaccurate QB who has crappy pocket presence and an emo personality who straightened himself out because of competition. Maybe there are a ton of examples but none come to mind.

Competition is going to help bring out the best in a player who isn't pushing himself physically OR someone who was playing at a very high level but whose performance has trailed off due to flat-out laziness. A RB who's always nursing some sort of boo-boo; a lineman who isn't putting time in the weight room or is getting fat; or someone who's generally dogging it out on the field; a player (QB or otherwise) who sucks because he just doesn't know the playbook for lack of studying. Competition isn't going to make Sanchez smarter, more accurate, make him read more than just his first option, make him see zone coverage, make him hold a football within 2 feet of his body, etc.

Manning, Brees, etc. If there's a way to bring one in bring one in. Hell, bring in anyone.

Obviously you are down on Sanchez...got it. Maybe he improves, maybe not. Coin flip. I just prefer not to try the "get the former greatest QB ever" routine. We've been there done that. The "quick fix" solution only sets the Jets back in the long run IMO.

Obviously you are down on Sanchez...got it. Maybe he improves, maybe not. Coin flip. I just prefer not to try the "get the former greatest QB ever" routine. We've been there done that. The "quick fix" solution only sets the Jets back in the long run IMO.

Quick fix? The #1 problem on the team is the QB. He makes everyone on the team - not just the offense - worse than they are (with obvious exceptions like fumbling KO and punt returns). The whole county can see that. Anything else among the Jets' top issues is a far, far distant second. He absolutely is not a coin flip to improve as much as he needs to so I don't know where that comes from. He has 6, 7, or however-many serious issues he needs to resolve in one off-season. There is no friggin' way that is a coin flip likelihood of improving enough to make the wait worthwhile. A little bit of improvement is nothing because that means he's still lousy; just not quite as lousy as last year.

Again, what QB has drastically improved in all the areas Sanchez is horrible at because of mediocre competition and a new offensive coordinator? Sticking with Sanchez sets the Jets back plenty by himself. If he loses his job - either during the summer or during the season - to the likes of Chad Henne it is unlikely to solve anything.

We have not "been there done that" at all, and can only think you're referring to Favre. Favre wanted to go to Minnesota and grudgingly went along with coming here. For all the great things he's done he is not the same as Manning. If Manning comes here he does so as a free agent with no strings attached and because he has chosen to come here over every other team who wanted him. They are different people - and different QBs - even if they're both future HOFers past their prime.

Quick fix? The #1 problem on the team is the QB. He makes everyone on the team - not just the offense - worse than they are (with obvious exceptions like fumbling KO and punt returns). The whole county can see that. Anything else among the Jets' top issues is a far, far distant second. He absolutely is not a coin flip to improve as much as he needs to so I don't know where that comes from. He has 6, 7, or however-many serious issues he needs to resolve in one off-season. There is no friggin' way that is a coin flip likelihood of improving enough to make the wait worthwhile. A little bit of improvement is nothing because that means he's still lousy; just not quite as lousy as last year.

Again, what QB has drastically improved in all the areas Sanchez is horrible at because of mediocre competition and a new offensive coordinator? Sticking with Sanchez sets the Jets back plenty by himself. If he loses his job - either during the summer or during the season - to the likes of Chad Henne it is unlikely to solve anything.

We have not "been there done that" at all, and can only think you're referring to Favre. Favre wanted to go to Minnesota and grudgingly went along with coming here. For all the great things he's done he is not the same as Manning. If Manning comes here he does so as a free agent with no strings attached and because he has chosen to come here over every other team who wanted him. They are different people - and different QBs - even if they're both future HOFers past their prime.

Yeah, Manning more like Montana going to the Kansas City Chiefs...opens a very short window. Still doubtful...

Every team with good chemistry would continue to have good chemistry with a wimpy QB who has tunnel vision, no feel for the game, can't throw the ball where he wants it to go, and squanders dozens of opportunities his defense gives him by putting them right back onto the field. The QBs leadership and playing skills have no impact on how the team comes together. None.

No team could possibly win a superbowl with personalities like Santonio Holmes or Plaxico Burress on it.

If Sanchez was a great human being, his deficiences as an NFL QB wouldn't matter, because chemistry and indentity would win football games, or something. In some hack sportswriter universe a team of Albert Schweitzers and Mother Theresas will always beat a team of Ray Lewises and Ty Cobbs.

We have yet to see the last place team with great chemistry. I've said it before but this imbecilic article makes the point again-chemistry is bullsh*t sportswriters make up after teams win. Tom Coughlin was as good as fired around Thanskgiving. But he and his team went on a great run. Chemistry didn't mean a damn thing when Dallas blew a 12-point 4th quarter lead,n or when Sanchez couldn't drive half the field.What mattered is they won games, period.

"The future of this team, whether Jets fans like it or not, is Mark Sanchez." With free agency that doesn't have to be the case.This is a cap league, not the Yankees stashing players in the 1950s.

"From this year forward, the Jets must begin to form an identity and not look for quick fixes year in and year out."

This column looks like some indentikit writing program.

How do these people get paid?

Why would anyone read this gibberish and take it seriously?

If the Saints franchise Brees, or Manning is healthy, any GM in the NFL ahs to explore the possibility of trying to get them. You do not sit back and wait for the wonderfuld ay when the team you ahve drafted over a decade suddenly matures. This is a cap league. You do not keep all your good draftees indefinitely wihtout cost. And it requires exploring all potential possibilities. Otherwise you as a a GM are either lazy or stupid. This is a QB league. Sanchez is not very good. "Identity" and "Chemistry" don't make him a 30TD/11INt/4500 yard guy.You have to look into alternatives. If an alternative doesn't pan out, we'll deal with it. But Sanchez does not get any special treatment because of chemistry or identity. Substantively this article is called "making it the f___ up".

"Not even “Broadway Joe” himself, the iconic Joe Namath, could have made this offense click on all cylinders."

Namath in his prime would under NFL rules today would throw for 40 TDs/15 INTs/5000 yards without blinking.

Someone set this woman/man's computer on fire.

How do you call it a coin flip? Coin flip means 50/50 chance that Sanchez becomes a good player. What have you seen that makes you think that after 3 years, he's 50/50?

Further, when we were there and did that, we actually had the best season of QB play we've had in a while. It didn't pan out because he got hurt, but honestly, despite AFC Championship games, that season was really the best shot we had. With Favre, and we saw it during the season, there was no team that we couldn't beat. With Sanchez, there were plenty of teams where the offense just was incapable of moving the football.

How do you call it a coin flip? Coin flip means 50/50 chance that Sanchez becomes a good player. What have you seen that makes you think that after 3 years, he's 50/50?

Further, when we were there and did that, we actually had the best season of QB play we've had in a while. It didn't pan out because he got hurt, but honestly, despite AFC Championship games, that season was really the best shot we had. With Favre, and we saw it during the season, there was no team that we couldn't beat. With Sanchez, there were plenty of teams where the offense just was incapable of moving the football.

Sanchez has the physical tools to do the job he has had some very good games here as well as some very bad games .Overall he needs to improve mentally no doubt but keep in mind many of us including you at some point before Snachez even stepped on the field here questioned Brian Shottenheimer as a football coach and I think we have to see what happens mentally with Sanchexz with this guy out of here and how he might of affected his growth process.

Sure a guy like Favre or Manning with all that experience would come in and do better than a Sanchez simply because of all the skills, leadership and other intangibles they developed throughout their long careers but do you just throw away 11 years ? Meaning Manning is 11 years older than Sanchez and has maybe 3-4 years left that might even include some downside in skills after a few years. Manning would most definetly have made a difference 3 years ago when Sanchez was a rookie because he would have not made as many mistakes therefore we would have won more games with Manning at the helm but would Manning have performed in the playoffs vs 3 top notch defenses ? We have all seen Manning choke in big game situations and we have also seen Favre do it as well. You do need some element of luck in the playoffs and throughout a career to win SB's the Giants are the poster boys when it comes to that....

So once again it brings up the question do we throw away 11 years before we are even positive its actully the QB rather than the offensive issues ? I mean we know we had severe O-Line issues and the word is now out the Lockerroom was a mess and the WR's seemeed to be the root cause and no matter what people say we are not loaded down with skill players like some of the other offensive type teams are unless were going to compare 32 and 35 year old players to fast young players and elite talents we simply do not have on this team. I think if you addd all the probelms on offense up and still have a young learning QB who threw 26 TD's and ran for 6 more thats not that bad, what he needs to do is cut down on stupid turnovers and stop rushing his reads into what amounts to bad throws knocking down his accuracy.

I think we see what Sparano can do with the Kid and maybe a light goes on. If the light does go on great, we can move forward. I think the Odds of the light going on for Sanchez are much better than Manning coming in here and winning a SB with what amounts to a very inferior team than wee had 3 years ago that wont be able to improve the players surrounding Manning due to the large Salary he will demand . Also if Sanchez does win one SB in his career he will have just as many as Manning Not comparing, just saying....

If Sanchez was a great human being, his deficiences as an NFL QB wouldn't matter, because chemistry and indentity would win football games, or something. In some hack sportswriter universe a team of Albert Schweitzers and Mother Theresas will always beat a team of Ray Lewises and Ty Cobbs.

We have yet to see the last place team with great chemistry. I've said it before but this imbecilic article makes the point again-chemistry is bullsh*t sportswriters make up after teams win. Tom Coughlin was as good as fired around Thanskgiving. But he and his team went on a great run. Chemistry didn't mean a damn thing when Dallas blew a 12-point 4th quarter lead,n or when Sanchez couldn't drive half the field.What mattered is they won games, period.

"The future of this team, whether Jets fans like it or not, is Mark Sanchez." With free agency that doesn't have to be the case.This is a cap league, not the Yankees stashing players in the 1950s.

"From this year forward, the Jets must begin to form an identity and not look for quick fixes year in and year out."

This column looks like some indentikit writing program.

How do these people get paid?

Why would anyone read this gibberish and take it seriously?

If the Saints franchise Brees, or Manning is healthy, any GM in the NFL ahs to explore the possibility of trying to get them. You do not sit back and wait for the wonderfuld ay when the team you ahve drafted over a decade suddenly matures. This is a cap league. You do not keep all your good draftees indefinitely wihtout cost. And it requires exploring all potential possibilities. Otherwise you as a a GM are either lazy or stupid. This is a QB league. Sanchez is not very good. "Identity" and "Chemistry" don't make him a 30TD/11INt/4500 yard guy.You have to look into alternatives. If an alternative doesn't pan out, we'll deal with it. But Sanchez does not get any special treatment because of chemistry or identity. Substantively this article is called "making it the f___ up".

"Not even “Broadway Joe” himself, the iconic Joe Namath, could have made this offense click on all cylinders."

Namath in his prime would under NFL rules today would throw for 40 TDs/15 INTs/5000 yards without blinking.

Someone set this woman/man's computer on fire.

Good post but I dont think Sanchez is "not very good" I cant say the same for what we surround him with compared to other successful offenses in the league. We are way way down the skill meter in comparison. Its been this way for 12 years on offense I think its time for a change

Sanchez has the physical tools to do the job he has had some very good games here as well as some very bad games .Overall he needs to improve mentally no doubt but keep in mind many of us including you at some point before Snachez even stepped on the field here questioned Brian Shottenheimer as a football coach and I think we have to see what happens mentally with Sanchexz with this guy out of here and how he might of affected his growth process.

Sure a guy like Favre or Manning with all that experience would come in and do better than a Sanchez simply because of all the skills, leadership and other intangibles they developed throughout their long careers but do you just throw away 11 years ? Meaning Manning is 11 years older than Sanchez and has maybe 3-4 years left that might even include some downside in skills after a few years. Manning would most definetly have made a difference 3 years ago when Sanchez was a rookie because he would have not made as many mistakes therefore we would have won more games with Manning at the helm but would Manning have performed in the playoffs vs 3 top notch defenses ? We have all seen Manning choke in big game situations and we have also seen Favre do it as well. You do need some element of luck in the playoffs and throughout a career to win SB's the Giants are the poster boys when it comes to that....

So once again it brings up the question do we throw away 11 years before we are even positive its actully the QB rather than the offensive issues ? I mean we know we had severe O-Line issues and the word is now out the Lockerroom was a mess and the WR's seemeed to be the root cause and no matter what people say we are not loaded down with skill players like some of the other offensive type teams are unless were going to compare 32 and 35 year old players to fast young players and elite talents we simply do not have on this team. I think if you addd all the probelms on offense up and still have a young learning QB who threw 26 TD's and ran for 6 more thats not that bad, what he needs to do is cut down on stupid turnovers and stop rushing his reads into what amounts to bad throws knocking down his accuracy.

I think we see what Sparano can do with the Kid and maybe a light goes on. If the light does go on great, we can move forward. I think the Odds of the light going on for Sanchez are much better than Manning coming in here and winning a SB with what amounts to a very inferior team than wee had 3 years ago that wont be able to improve the players surrounding Manning due to the large Salary he will demand . Also if Sanchez does win one SB in his career he will have just as many as Manning Not comparing, just saying....

no.gif

teams that offer Flynn starter money are Idiots and its been proven over and over in this league to many QB's to mention. He should be offered a modest salary in a lets see what ya got type scenario but unfortunately when rich men get impatient what you wind up getting is a whole lot of stupidity especially when it comes to football. Al Davis was a prime example of this late in his career. Larry Brown anyone ?

Zubaz_for_Werewolves.jpg

Archived