CRO to play FS - Desperate already?

Integrity28

Just read on Rotoworld that Jets approached Cro about switching to free safety. Unreal Tanny, unreal.

We paid him like a top 20 CB because he is one, now let's move him out of position? To a spot that averages a much lower salary? Not to mention we need safeties that TACKLE!

What a joke this franchise is. Seriously.

mm free safety is really not a bad idea.. him playin center field.. it would actually take him out of outside run game... and if our corner depth is good, its not awful..its not ideal but who knows

this is all very disheartening

Cromartie is a solid corner. If anyone is moving, its Wilson. At least it should be.

If we sign Terrence Newman, and Landry, then maybe... No, who am I kidding, this is re-frakking-tarded.

Miss out on a second tier corner who decides he'd rather play for CINCINNATI, and then talk about moving our starting CB. This is terrible.

I don't think this is that ridiculous an idea? We're not exactly talking a crack defensive staff here people, and Cromartie is the kind of DB who can 1. collect INTs like a muh and 2. return INTs like a muh. Who the **** cares if he can't hit like a true safety if he can do the rest of what's asked? Do we REALLY need this super ideal safety that hits like a brickhouse, plays CF, gets INTs, blankets TEs....Lol yet if a guy has that skillset or anything close to it he'll get the SS tag here...There is no winning for this FO until the season starts, and you have to love that they are acting like that doesn't bother them in the least. This is the offseason to get creative as it can save a sh*tload of jobs/careers.

Also, there's probably a dash of bullsh*t in there.

I like it a lot if we get Landry or Barron. Only if he is playing centerfield. His range at FS will be crazy. I would expect 8+ INT's. Call me crazy but this move would take away the deep passing game. Maybe we go corner in round 1 also.

I don't think this is that ridiculous an idea? We're not exactly talking a crack defensive staff here people, and Cromartie is the kind of DB who can 1. collect INTs like a muh and 2. return INTs like a muh. Who the **** cares if he can't hit like a true safety if he can do the rest of what's asked? Do we REALLY need this super ideal safety that hits like a brickhouse, plays CF, gets INTs, blankets TEs....Lol yet if a guy has that skillset or anything close to it he'll get SS and isn't ideal anyway...There is no winning for this FO until the season starts, and you have to love that they are acting like that doesn't bother them in the least. This is the offseason to get creative as it can save a sh*tload of jobs/careers.

Also, there's probably a dash of bullsh*t in there.

I dont doubt hed be a good safety but a CB to play opposite Revis is more important than FS

I dont doubt hed be a good safety but a CB to play opposite Revis is more important than FS

One thing to be said about Cro is that he's taken to the coaching he's gotten here. He finished last season strong. His role as a safety would most likely be limited anyway.

If they're talking about Cromartie at safety then they like where Wilson is. Wilson's an effort guy anyway so I would not be surprised to hear that they might try him outside more often. He had a strong 2nd season in the slot, and I doubt he was drafted to remain a nickleback forever.

maybe this is some sort of leveraging act ? like they are telling agents they aren't desperate for a safety ?

weird

That is a very good thought. Can't see how they would really go through with this unless they lost all the game film, lol. But they have to be worried that they agents are going to hold them up, they are desperate.

That is a very good thought. Can't see how they would really go through with this unless they lost all the game film, lol. But they have to be worried that they agents are going to hold them up, they are desperate.

This is desperate

Alex Smith: Report: Fins trying to sign Smith for $8M/yr

According to the Denver Post, the Dolphins are currently negotiating a contract with free agent Alex Smith that would pay him $8 million annually.

The Dolphins are so desperate, after losing out on Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn, that they're now willing to significantly overpay a borderline NFL starter at near the level of franchise quarterback money. Flynn only got $6.33M annually from the Seahawks. Smith isn't as physically talented as incumbent Dolphins starter Matt Moore, and he's certainly not worth more than Flynn. At this point, it's almost as if the Fins are trying to sign a quarterback, just to sign a quarterback. Mar. 18 - 8:00 pm et

Source: Denver Post

i'm trying to make sense of it. cro is also so bad at quick movements and quick reactions because his legs are so damn long. all he can really do is cover moss on go routes.

if they are going to experiment with him, I'd be curious to see if he could cover TE's

remember the Victor Cruz 99 yard TD against the Giants... Cro missed the tackle up front. I'd rather have him chasing from center field.

side note there's half a chance Dre Kirkpatrick could be on the board at 16. another player who could possibly be an awesome FS.

It was kind of a joke on Twitter. Cro has been trying to recruit Nelson all week. When the team missed him his response is basically that we dont have a safety so im becoming one. He clarified that he could do it because Wilson is good at corner. Anyway it would be such a mess of a move if the team really did it. He might have 10 picks in that role but would probably have 100 bad plays. He cant tackle. He gets mixed up in assignments. I guess he would be an upgrade to what we had last year but I think Wilson would be a big downgrade over Cro at corner. The Jets will draft a safety this year and keep their fingers crossed he does well while they save cap space and begin planning for 2013.

Ahhh the domino effect of a horrible off season last year. We never should have signed Cro at all. But we were so tempted with Aso that we forgot about everything else and then when we were ditched by Aso all the other good corners were gone and we were left with signing Cro. And now ladies and gentleman we have a new FS.

To give him his due Cro has great speed and he will get in a great position to tackle but...........

It was kind of a joke on Twitter. Cro has been trying to recruit Nelson all week. When the team missed him his response is basically that we dont have a safety so im becoming one. He clarified that he could do it because Wilson is good at corner. Anyway it would be such a mess of a move if the team really did it. He might have 10 picks in that role but would probably have 100 bad plays. He cant tackle. He gets mixed up in assignments. I guess he would be an upgrade to what we had last year but I think Wilson would be a big downgrade over Cro at corner. The Jets will draft a safety this year and keep their fingers crossed he does well while they save cap space and begin planning for 2013.

Thank you.

Some people were hammering me on Twitter for suggesting that Cro wasn't a good tackler. Really didn't seem like a controversial tweet!

remember the Victor Cruz 99 yard TD against the Giants... Cro missed the tackle up front. I'd rather have him chasing from center field.

side note there's half a chance Dre Kirkpatrick could be on the board at 16. another player who could possibly be an awesome FS.

In a perfect world, there would be a Safety sitting there for them at 16. Someone that could start from day one.

Thank you.

Some people were hammering me on Twitter for suggesting that Cro wasn't a good tackler. Really didn't seem like a controversial tweet!

If someone doesn't know that Cro can't tackle, then they don't watch the games. And I love Cromartie.

This is desperate

Alex Smith: Report: Fins trying to sign Smith for $8M/yr

According to the Denver Post, the Dolphins are currently negotiating a contract with free agent Alex Smith that would pay him $8 million annually.

The Dolphins are so desperate, after losing out on Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn, that they're now willing to significantly overpay a borderline NFL starter at near the level of franchise quarterback money. Flynn only got $6.33M annually from the Seahawks. Smith isn't as physically talented as incumbent Dolphins starter Matt Moore, and he's certainly not worth more than Flynn. At this point, it's almost as if the Fins are trying to sign a quarterback, just to sign a quarterback. Mar. 18 - 8:00 pm et

Source: Denver Post

Not for nothing but 8 million sounds about right for Smith. The highest paid QBs make 4-5 million more. Considering he's a competent vet who plays QB, a position that is naturally going to be more expensive, they won't really be overpaying.

Now, if the question is will they be good? Probably not, but with Smith they'll probably remaining properly annoying within the division.

Archived