CRO to play FS - Desperate already?

Integrity28

If someone doesn't know that Cro can't tackle, then they don't watch the games. And I love Cromartie.

I was shocked by it actually. Cro's reputation in San Diego was that he didn't like contact. The Jets exposed that in the playoff game against the Chargers.

Cro gets here and is a really good corner. But he can't tackle, lol. Not sure how you could miss it. It happens a lot. He is a big dude, he looks like he should be able to tackle. But he can't.

Maybe I should say he doesn't tackle well. He probably could tackle well if he wanted to. He just chooses not to. Either way, he isn't a safety.

Wow and we thought Kerry Rhodes hit like a girl...

Kerry Rhodes did hit like a girl ... when he hit and wasn't being jumped over ..... or juked out of his jock ...... or running up to the pile after someone else had made the tackle acting like "damn...just missed it" ..... or being ran through like a turnstile ..... or .....

Meh... He has incredible range... likely he will get a bunch of picks, some big returns, and make the probowl... as well as give up some big plays.

This move is fine, if Wilson is the player they think he is. Big if. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Barron drafted to fill the SS role. Or even if we sign Landry, Cro will still be playing center field.

Is Otagwe more of a SS or FS? Don't know much about him.

If a guy was in the draft was 6'3" 200 pounds, ran the 40 in under 4.4 had loose hips to turn and adjust, could jump out of the building but wasn't physical would you draft him knowing we have trouble covering tight ends?

While we are messing around, lets have McKnight come off the edge to rush the passer.

Don't laugh. Rex has said that he could see McKnight's future in the NFL as a CB. I bet he'd be pretty good on a blitz. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Jets have a package of defensive plays for McKnight this season. Especially if they opt to bring in another RB in the draft.

i'm trying to make sense of it. cro is also so bad at quick movements and quick reactions because his legs are so damn long. all he can really do is cover moss on go routes.

if they are going to experiment with him, I'd be curious to see if he could cover TE's

The Jets are in their nickel defense the majority of the time, anyway. I think that's what most teams do in this day and age. The Jets CB's are far better than their safeties at this point in time. If they're trying to figure out ways to get their best players on the field, I'm all for it. But the reality is that both players will be on the field as CB's most of the time.

Putting Cro on the Gates/Gonzalez type TE's makes a lot of sense. Doesn't make a lot of sense to put him on the more physical types. Putting Cro in center field on obvious passing downs isn't a bad idea, either. I'd expect him to make a lot of plays on the ball there. I also trust Wilson more playing man. It's not easy covering the slot, and he does it well. Give him the sideline to work with, too, and I think he could be an outstanding CB.

Assuming this whole thing isn't a joke...

You don't move Cro to safety. You sign Newman for a year or two to play safety, at 1/3 of what Cromartie makes, trade Cromartie for a 2nd-4th round pick, $3M in cap space this year, and $11M in cap space the next 2 years after that. He's a legit above-average starter locked up for 3 more years with no cap penalty (to his new team) to cut ties with him after 2012 if they want to go in another (or cheaper) direction. Newman isn't the corner he was but he ought to be able to cover more than adequately for a safety, has good enough hands to pick off errant throws, and he certainly hits with more umph than Cromartie.

Cap-wise the net wouldn't make much difference this season, but it makes an enormous difference in 2013 and 2014. In the meantime we should be able to get a decent enough pick for him. Cromartie would easily be the most sought-after CB on the market if he was a free agent right now and I could easily see someone with gobs of cap space giving up a 3rd or higher for a sure-thing instant starter for the next few years.

It was kind of a joke on Twitter. Cro has been trying to recruit Nelson all week. When the team missed him his response is basically that we dont have a safety so im becoming one. He clarified that he could do it because Wilson is good at corner. Anyway it would be such a mess of a move if the team really did it. He might have 10 picks in that role but would probably have 100 bad plays. He cant tackle. He gets mixed up in assignments. I guess he would be an upgrade to what we had last year but I think Wilson would be a big downgrade over Cro at corner. The Jets will draft a safety this year and keep their fingers crossed he does well while they save cap space and begin planning for 2013.

^This

Too much is being made about his tackling skills, i mean, we had hollywood rhodes for a stretch. The real issue is that he absolutely MUST play in man to man. Put him in a thinking role and his effed up cromagnon shaped head shuts down and he becomes a massive liability in our defense and it is even worse since that big gaping hole is right front and center for opposing qbs to exploit. Maybe if they gave him that shot from planet of the apes like they gave to Lithgow he would be an all pro but they way he sits right now, bad things man, bad things....

Assuming this whole thing isn't a joke...

You don't move Cro to safety. You sign Newman for a year or two to play safety, at 1/3 of what Cromartie makes, trade Cromartie for a 2nd-4th round pick, $3M in cap space this year, and $11M in cap space the next 2 years after that. He's a legit above-average starter locked up for 3 more years with no cap penalty (to his new team) to cut ties with him after 2012 if they want to go in another (or cheaper) direction. Newman isn't the corner he was but he ought to be able to cover more than adequately for a safety, has good enough hands to pick off errant throws, and he certainly hits with more umph than Cromartie.

Cap-wise the net wouldn't make much difference this season, but it makes an enormous difference in 2013 and 2014. In the meantime we should be able to get a decent enough pick for him. Cromartie would easily be the most sought-after CB on the market if he was a free agent right now and I could easily see someone with gobs of cap space giving up a 3rd or higher for a sure-thing instant starter for the next few years.

This would be nice.

Well we are getting into this with some people on twitter. Don't see this happening because Cromartie's tackling skills. They are not good, so putting him at Safety just doesn't add up.

Yeah, but neither are Smith's (nor are his cover, read & reaction and perhaps best of all, standing up skills) and that hasn't stopped the Jets from playing him there for 6 years and counting. Granted Smith's crappy tackling skills are a different kind of crappy tackling than Cro's, but the point more than anything is I wouldn't try so hard to apply logic to decisions made by the Jets, because I have a feeling it won't get you very far.

Safties have to think much more than corners do . Especially in the Jets defense. Ive always said due to his smarts, study habits, and tremendous atheletic ability Darrelle Revis would make a great safety and I think he would make a ton of big plays. As it stands now teams can ignore Revis and attack us up the middle its much harder to ignore a safety

Safties have to think much more than corners do . Especially in the Jets defense. Ive always said due to his smarts, study habits, and tremendous atheletic ability Darrelle Revis would make a great safety and I think he would make a ton of big plays.

While you may be right, it would be a tremendous waste of ability. CB is a far more difficult position to play and fill. It's a far more valuable position, and that's only more so the case in Rex's defense, so it would be insane to make that move. The Packers wouldn't move Rodgers to FB just because they thought he could be good at it.

While you may be right, it would be a tremendous waste of ability. CB is a far more difficult position to play and fill. It's a far more valuable position, and that's only more so the case in Rex's defense, so it would be insane to make that move. The Packers wouldn't move Rodgers to FB just because they thought he could be good at it.

Well when it comes to locking down a top WR sure it means a lot but please dont use the Rodgers /FB example BG . Keep in mind the better safeties can give even the best QB's fits and Revis can hit and tackle. Rex has used Revis at the position from time to time which means they do think about it..... maybe in a few years

Rex has used Revis at the position from time to time which means they do think about it..... maybe in a few years

Really? When has this happened? I can't remember this ever being the case. I could be wrong, but Rex refuses to blitz Revis more than once a year so I doubt he's playing safety very often.

Really? When has this happened? I can't remember this ever being the case. I could be wrong, but Rex refuses to blitz Revis more than once a year so I doubt he's playing safety very often.

Read my post again Damaged .. I said from time to time Revis has lined up as a safety Im not 100 % sure but I think the times it happened was against the Colts and Pats in the playoffs (when we beat them back to back) a few times Revis was in the middle accounting for Gronk if Im not mistaken. I remeber people on the boards discussing it as well and it brought up the debate as to weather it would be a good or bad move. Obviously we see the positive effects a Polomalu and Reed have on a QB and also how the Packers use Woodson so its not far fetched to think the Jets could do more of this sooner if not later in Revis career

Archived