JETS SIGN DEANGELO SMITH

whodeawhodat

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_sign_safety_smith_to_one_year_GTx6oeIsQUE0TrlIz5yLnJ

10:14 AM, April 16, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets signed free agent safety DeAngelo Smith to a one-year deal, according to a source.

Smith visited the team over the weekend. He was drafted in the fifth-round by the Cowboys in 2009 out of Cincinnati. The 25-year-old has also been with Browns, Bears and Lions. He last played in 2009, appearing in seven games for the Lions with one start.

The Jets are thin at safety with just LaRon Landry, Eric Smith and Tracy Wilson currently under contract. They are expected to target a safety in next week’s draft.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_sign_safety_smith_to_one_year_GTx6oeIsQUE0TrlIz5yLnJ#ixzz1sEcouD2u

Nothing more than camp meat...

This could be F-in' awesome,, or it could be a dud. The guy's only 26, and can get back in to shape. It always seemed like he had the potential to be a big time safety but never panned out for whatever reason. I vaguely recall that after the combine (I think it was '08?), he was supposed to be a guy with speed and who was a big hitter. I hope he's a diamond in the rough and that Rex can mold him in to the player that people envisioned he would be in a few years. Then again, he could be a dud like he was in Cleveland and Dallas. I hope he works out.

Why did he leave Cleveland and Dallas anyway? I honestly don't know. Was it that he wasn't good enough or did he have a big mouth and do stupid things off the field like T.O.?

Rest easy hes got to be better than Eric Smith and I can say that with confidence never even seeing him play

You'd be wrong.

Guy was a 5th round pick who was cut in camp, bounced around from the Browns to some other teams PS. Don't think he has ever played a down

You'd be wrong.

Guy was a 5th round pick who was cut in camp, bounced around from the Browns to some other teams PS. Don't think he has ever played a down

I think he has one career start fwiw. He has "appeared" in seven games. Whatever the f that means...anyway, he has seen some live action. As or right now, he would have a legit shot at making the squad, given the lack of depth at his position.

It's a crapshoot, life's a crapshoot. Let him go in there compete for a job and hope for the best. We need safeties like the Patriots need everything other than Brady, Welker and tightends. Being around the Jets D might bring out the animal in him and he might be a fine addition or he might be a dud...and not make the team, huge upside, nothing to lose. Let's hope for the best. He has the skills, does he have the heart?

Archived