More fuel to the offseason fire, ESPN Radio's Jody Mcdonald "Revis is going to hold out"

Matt39

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He had more interceptions. He had more fumbles. More turnovers equals more opportunities for an opposing offense to score. The average starting field position has absolutely nothing to do with anything comparatively when you're dealing with disparities this large because of so many obvious reasons.

But your taking it that every turnover, bad kick, etc... should lead to the same result. They dont. There is a world of difference between a Sanchez fumble at the 1 and a Sanchez fumble on the oppositions 20. There is no difference between a Sanchez fumble on the 20 and a kick return that ends up on our 20. The actual amount of drives the Jets faced in 2010 and 2011 is essentially equal. Its not like the opposition had tons more drives. They had 6. If you take out the bad field position drives from Marks wacky turnovers and other shortcomings its 3 between 2010 and 2011. They had 3 more opportunities to give up points on drives than began on their side of the field. That's barely anything. The percentage of the drives which went for touchdowns (14.1 to 14.3%) is essentially equal and Id say that is probably their expectation under normal conditions.

My point is to see how effective the defense is when they are not being put into hopeless situations to begin with. There are other factors that can play into that (actual time off the field, opponents, injuries, coaches respect of opposing offense, etc...) but its just to see how they perform in a relatively normal football situation. Consider all those other drives outliers and pull them out of the mix. Its basically a team that should be expected to give up somewhere between 13 and 15 points per game played in a vacuum. Then throw the other nonsense on top of that (bad field position drives, defensive scores, special teams scores).

But your taking it that every turnover, bad kick, etc... should lead to the same result. They dont.

Of course they do. While the guarantee of the other team scoring isn't existent, the guarantee of no points for the offense and less rest for the defense certainly is.

My point is to see how effective the defense is when they are not being put into hopeless situations to begin with. There are other factors that can play into that (actual time off the field, opponents, injuries, coaches respect of opposing offense, etc...) but its just to see how they perform in a relatively normal football situation. Consider all those other drives outliers and pull them out of the mix. Its basically a team that should be expected to give up somewhere between 13 and 15 points per game played in a vacuum. Then throw the other nonsense on top of that (bad field position drives, defensive scores, special teams scores).

And that's the problem. You can't just flip the switch on indirect effects as you please, and you definitely can't standardize them when they're different situationally. No matter what measurement system you're using it's going to come out biased as hell. Look how much qualitative context you're forcing yourself to even bother attempting with in that first paragraph, come on dude.

Someone mentioned that its the organizations fault... for not getting Sanchez Calvin Johnson. Sometimes, I really wish people were trolling instead of being mouth breathers.

That someone was me and I think you need to look over your head because something flew over it or sumthin.

hats the problem in a nutshell. The Jets are a decade or more behind the rest of the NFL when it comes to offense.

They've given every sign they want to join everyone else...or did at one point when they started this whole Tannenbaum tenure in 2006 when they grabbed the best pass protector and C in the draft to go with the hotsschitt offensive assistant from the high flying SD offense. Grabbed Keller...drafted Sanchez....It's at this point they hit a wall...mostly because that's been the only thing Sanchez has shown to be able to consistently hit.

They will jump ten years offensively the second they get someone who can play QB....even if that someone is a more mature Sanchez.

If Revis did hold out again his contract is extended for the next three years. So 100% it's not going to happen, ESPN is just trying to shake things and make a story out of nothing. Just like the Sanchez comment about Tebow being a good competitor in the weight room.

Like the Jets will really suspend and fine him for 4 years and live with that fallout. We would cave eventually and give him even bigger money or trade him for less value.

The truth is we should trade him this year. We can get at least a first for him. Yes he is our best player but only two things will happen with him if we insist on keeping him: we pay him so much he cripples the franchise of we wind up dumping him after another protracted holdout.

Like the Jets will really suspend and fine him for 4 years and live with that fallout. We would cave eventually and give him even bigger money or trade him for less value.

The truth is we should trade him this year. We can get at least a first for him. Yes he is our best player but only two things will happen with him if we insist on keeping him: we pay him so much he cripples the franchise of we wind up dumping him after another protracted holdout.

Trading him to an obscure NFC team would be the only way. Pretty sure he would fetch more than a single number one. Just don;t think Rexy would give up his favorite toy.

Preseason hold outs are getting kind of boring.

Personally, I think Revis needs to start holding out based on weekly opponent... For instance, he's gotta hold out before the Texans game. Why play Andre Johnson on his current contract?

When that gets stale, I'd have his agent on the sidelines renegotiating based on the importance of the particular defensive series.

Eventually, maybe he can get a headset where his agent tells him, while he's on the field, whether or not he should attempt to make a play on a particular down. In vivo renegotiation. It'll be great!

I said it last season that I expect Revis to not be intimidated by the hold-out clause in his contract. The Jets have re-upped him mid contract before, he has tons of money - he wants the financial respect of being the best corner back in the game. He wants that every year until his athletic abilities fall off.

My belief that Revis is quite ready to sit the season out like Vincent Jackson did and given that Jason tells us that Revis's current contract makes him untradeable in 2012, he has the upper hand because Rex and Tannenbaum can't let their best player sit on the sidelines with both their jobs on the line.

I do think the Jets should not blink (make him sit) but I believe they will and will cough up a few more million to get him on the field in 2012

It's kind of hilarious how your QB sucking gives an effing CB so much leverage over a franchise. I ain't even mad at this point.

So this is Sanchez's fault too? What the hell man, where is all this hate from, did he f**k your dog or something?|

Trading him to an obscure NFC team would be the only way. Pretty sure he would fetch more than a single number one. Just don;t think Rexy would give up his favorite toy.

Exactly. I love Revis, but if he puts us in a spot where we have to cut ties... we dump him on the most sorry franchise going.

So this is Sanchez's fault too? What the hell man, where is all this hate from, did he f**k your dog or something?|

Not at all. Sanchez is who he is. It's the franchise's fault for keeping the door open for leverage to be exercised from other skill position players that don't mind looking like douchebags. I ain't even mad at Revis for trying to toe the line yet again. Business is business.

Unfortunately, it's a Quarterback's league. Every conversation about the Jets is in some way about Sanchez. If Sanchez was performing, we could tell Revis to go eff himself. Because a CB is the most important player on the team in a QB league, it's not so easy.

Archived