More fuel to the offseason fire, ESPN Radio's Jody Mcdonald "Revis is going to hold out"

Matt39

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Revis holds out the Jets will let him rot on the sidelines this time and cost himself millions in the process. His last 2 years have not been as good as 2009 and the team is in worse shape than it was then. An 8-8 team that failed to make the playoffs should never even consider giving in to Revis. His salary is already at the tipping point for the position to where you are no longer paying for enough results.

If Revis holds out the Jets will let him rot on the sidelines this time and cost himself millions in the process. His last 2 years have not been as good as 2009 and the team is in worse shape than it was then. An 8-8 team that failed to make the playoffs should never even consider giving in to Revis. His salary is already at the tipping point for the position to where you are no longer paying for enough results.

I agree....but it goes to show why Revis held out originally. His value would never be higher.

And most of the money was paid in the first two years so, if they wanted to trade him, it's not impossible cap-wise, right?

And most of the money was paid in the first two years so, if they wanted to trade him, it's not impossible cap-wise, right?

Right now? The Jets are stuck with him and if Revis holds out he is stuck with the Jets for a long time. What would happen is Revis would hold out (Im assuming not in workouts so he can earn 1 million) and the Jets would then wait until I believe 5 days to state that he committed a forfeitable breach of his contract. At that point the Jets can begin to collect damages back from Revis including percentages of his $1 million roster bonus and $1 million reporting bonus, if earned. I think the way it works is that they begin to allocate them the same as signing bonuses to determine salary lost. For example his $1 million roster bonus will only count as 500K in salary he can give up, so he gets to keep 500K no matter what. The fines on the 500K should be 15% for the first 6 days and then 1% each day thereafter until it maxes out at 25%. There is another 25% charge for missing the first game because of holdout. After that he forfeits salary proportionate to the time held out (1/17th each game). As I type this the tricky thing might be with Revis' deal that if he holds out and he loses the void control those allocations go over 5 years meaning the fine amounts are much smaller and Revis keeps much more money. Not sure on that though.

I would think the team gets a salary cap adjustment the following season to the team salary for money refunded rather that a credit in 2012, but considering its so easy to carry money over now that timing doesnt matter anymore. Its only an issue if its prorated over the length of the contract.

Maybe Ill throw a post up on my site about it tonight after looking over the CBA to see if Im missing something.

This was posted on NYjets cap site...Can not see it happening

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/reviscontract12.php

After a recent article discussed the possibility of extending CB Darrelle Revis’ contract there has been a great deal of discussion amongst fans about Revis holding out until he gets a new deal. I want to go over some of the particulars of the deal and discuss what the options are for both sides to help quiet down whatever rumblings there are among the fanbase.

Can Revis be Traded?

I have no idea where this thought even came from but I’ve seen it discussed in a few places online and I just want to get it out of the way. Under no circumstance can the Jets trade Revis this season. Revis received an option bonus of $18 million in 2011 that was prorated over 6 seasons. The Jets have only accounted for one season thus far, leaving $15 million in unaccounted for bonus money on the books. Revis still has a small amount of prorated money remaining in 2012 from his salary advance he received in 2008. If the Jets traded Revis the dead cap charge would be $15.22 million in 2012. If they trade him after June 1st the dead cap would be $3.22 million this year and $12 million next season. Revis is only set to count $11.5 million and $9 million against the cap these next two seasons. It makes no sense from a financial standpoint, let alone a football one, to even entertain the thought of trading him.

Can Revis Hold Out?

Well any player can hold out, but the question is why would Revis? For 2012, Revis has guarantees of $8.5 million in salary and a holdout would risk those. Rarely are players giving up what is guaranteed money for a few extra dollars. More importantly the Jets have built holdout protection into his contract. Revis’ contract is actually a 7 year contract that voids into a 4 year deal if Revis does not hold out and miss any offseason team activities during the next 2 years. Revis has hefty bonuses attached to every stage of attendance with $1 million in workout bonuses and another $1 million in reporting bonuses these next two seasons. This is not like Cameron Wake making $615,000 from the Dolphins for attending workouts and giving up a $50,000 bonus by missing workouts. $2 million of lost money is a giant chunk of change.

More so, when Revis holds out he loses the ability to void the contract after 2013. That leaves the Jets with the ability to control his rights for $3 million a season from 2014-2017. Quite frankly Revis has no leverage in this situation. If he holds out he would lose $2 million in bonuses and, assuming an expected average annual salary of $11 million a year on a new deal, an addition $8 million a season while he is stuck on the old contract. That’s $26 million in potential loses with the assumption the Jets blink first. Why would they? The team was 8-8 and could have missed the playoffs with or without Darelle last season.

Does Revis have any leverage?

The leverage shifts from the Jets to Revis during the course of the 2013 football season. Provided Revis does not holdout his deal will void the day after the 2013 Super Bowl. If the Jets do not extend Revis before that date the Jets will absorb a dead cap charge of $9 million from that 2011 option bonus payment. What will likely happen is that Revis and his agents will set a contract deadline for the Jets during camp or the early part of the year and threaten to not negotiate until free agency begins. Because of the large cap charge looming if he is not extended before the Super Bowl the Jets are in a position where it is vital to lock him up for cap purposes. Even if the Jets were to re-sign him in March the damage would be done and the $9 million would still accelerate onto the 2014 cap.

When is the Ideal Time to Renegotiate?

August of 2013 or thereabouts. Revis kind of played the Jets for fools with his last holdout. While every player has the right to do it this was something that the Jets felt they avoided by essentially giving a contract worthy of a top 10 pick when he was a rookie. From the Jets perspective you gain two things by waiting until August: First you force Revis’ hand by making him show up and report to camp. Second you give the cornerback market even more of a chance to reduce. For the most part the market is flat with most top tier players earing around $10 million a year. The lone exception, besides Revis, is Nnamdi Asomugha who is earning $12 million a season with the Eagles. However, if Asomugha fails to play in 90% of the snaps in 2012 that will reduce to $11.4 million, less than Revis’ current contract. Asomugha had a terrible year as an Eagle in 2011 and a repeat performance could see him cut in 2013. He is owed some guaranteed money that year in the event he is cut, but Philadelphia would not hesitate to cut him. There is no dead money associated with his contract other than that since the Eagles did not pay him a signing bonus. If you take him off the books it drives the market price down for Revis. Revis also has no guarantees in his contract for 2013 which would make both sides more open to the extension.

Isn’t Revis underpaid this year

This is really the point that I often hear that drives me crazy. Players want to maximize their early year cash flow while teams are looking to balance those cash and cap charges. When prorated bonus payments are involved the timing of salary payments in future years is almost irrelevant provided the annual terms of the deal are in line with the market. At $8.5 millon in 2012 pay he will earn less than the $11 million Asomugha is set to earn and the same as Asante Samuel, but Revis made an astronomical $25 million in cash last season and more than $32 million over a 2 year period. Asomugha made $10 million and will make $21 million in the first two years of his deal. Dunta Robinson’s two-year total was $22.5 million, a similar number to Samuel and the Bronco’s Champ Bailey. Revis’s three-year payout is larger than anyone else by at least $1.3 million a year. Revis is as underpaid this season as he was overpaid last year. The cash number is irrelevant.

But Wasn’t the Deal Supposed to be a Band Aid?

No. It wasn’t meant to be a long term solution, meaning a 6 or 7 year deal that would be normal for a player of Revis’ caliber, but a band aid is what you see with franchise players or guys on the last year of their deal. A band-aid contract is one where you give a player guaranteed money or a small raise in the current deal to get them to show up and play. It’s a deal where you promise to not franchise tag the player for a second time the following season, which will likely happen in Baltimore with Ray Rice. A band aid contract for Revis in 2010 would have been to give him a raise from $550,000 in base salary to $7.5 million in base salary with a promise to reopen negotiations the following year or allow him to void his contract in 2012. Paying a player $32 million over two years is not a band aid. It was the best solution both parties could agree on. All during the 2010 camp we heard the Jets front office discussing Revis and how they were prepared to make him the highest paid at his position with the exception of the Raiders deal with Asomugha. The Jets could have matched the deal if they wanted to and they didn’t. In what world does it make logical sense to pay Revis similar cash to Aso’s Raider contract that no longer exists and then turn around and pay him another 2 years worth of old Aso money on another extension and just begin the clock again towards a holdout 3 years from now? The answer is none.

Will the Jets Renegotiate?

I can’t see why they would, but anything is possible so you can never rule it out. With workouts beginning shortly the Jets would have minimal cap space to gain by converting any salary to a bonus. His $1 million roster bonus is already sunk towards the cap and the workout bonus will be in another 2 months. His base salary of $4.5 million and $1 million reporting bonus could be prorated to save around $3.6 million in cap money this season and then pay him another prorated bonus next year to really kick off the new deal, but that is something they could just do next year if they wanted to when they probably have a better handle on what the cap will be and what room they need next season

I agree. Should Revis hold out this year, it's because he wants out.

But I really don't see the logic for wanting out - outside of the money he might get from another team. He's a big star in NYC. His endorsement deals and post-career opportunities are just better from here.

If Revis wants out the smart thing to do is go to the Jets first, behind the scenes, and demand a trade because if he holds out again and puts the team in that much turmoil all they have to do is let him sit and his value will plummet. He has to know this unless the people like his idiot cousin think they are smarter than everyone else and can get away with murder.

Trade value probably 2 #1's or a 1 and a 2 + a player IMO

I could see that.

Yeah, but the Steelers never make this deal. The Redskins do. Maybe the Cowboys...

I could see that.

Yeah, but the Steelers never make this deal. The Redskins do. Maybe the Cowboys...

Revis to the Cowboys for Murray and a first rounder :P

Right now? The Jets are stuck with him and if Revis holds out he is stuck with the Jets for a long time. What would happen is Revis would hold out (Im assuming not in workouts so he can earn 1 million) and the Jets would then wait until I believe 5 days to state that he committed a forfeitable breach of his contract. At that point the Jets can begin to collect damages back from Revis including percentages of his $1 million roster bonus and $1 million reporting bonus, if earned. I think the way it works is that they begin to allocate them the same as signing bonuses to determine salary lost. For example his $1 million roster bonus will only count as 500K in salary he can give up, so he gets to keep 500K no matter what. The fines on the 500K should be 15% for the first 6 days and then 1% each day thereafter until it maxes out at 25%. There is another 25% charge for missing the first game because of holdout. After that he forfeits salary proportionate to the time held out (1/17th each game). As I type this the tricky thing might be with Revis' deal that if he holds out and he loses the void control those allocations go over 5 years meaning the fine amounts are much smaller and Revis keeps much more money. Not sure on that though.

I would think the team gets a salary cap adjustment the following season to the team salary for money refunded rather that a credit in 2012, but considering its so easy to carry money over now that timing doesnt matter anymore. Its only an issue if its prorated over the length of the contract.

Maybe Ill throw a post up on my site about it tonight after looking over the CBA to see if Im missing something.

Jesus. Thanks, man.

If the defense takes another half step back, you're probably looking at a 6-10 season. How many steps back does losing Revis represent? Two?

Who's left in the secondary after Cromartie? Are you ready to let the season rest on the shoulders of Wilson and Landry? I'm not. Take Revis out of the equation you're basically hinging on us having the best defensive line in the league. Which isn't out of the realm of possibility, but that's an awfully big matzah ball to bank on.

Who's left in the secondary after Cromartie? Are you ready to let the season rest on the shoulders of Wilson and Landry? I'm not. Take Revis out of the equation you're basically hinging on us having the best defensive line in the league. Which isn't out of the realm of possibility, but that's an awfully big matzah ball to bank on.

I'm with you. I think losing Revis starts a domino effect on the defense that leads to the whole thing falling off precipitously. Like you said, because Sanchez can't hold up his end of the bargain, Revis is the de facto cornerstone of the whole freaking team.

I'm with you. I think losing Revis starts a domino effect on the defense that leads to the whole thing falling off precipitously. Like you said, because Sanchez can't hold up his end of the bargain, Revis is the de facto cornerstone of the whole freaking team.

This is what happens when the best additions you make to an already horrid offense are Chaz Schillens, Tony Sparano, and Tim effing Tebow.

If the defense takes another half step back, you're probably looking at a 6-10 season. How many steps back does losing Revis represent? Two?

No revis with 2011 offense = 5 to 6 win season

if Snachez responds to tebow challenge, revis becomes more irrelevant.. but that's a big if

See, this is what pisses me off as a Jets fan. We encourage dumb sh*t like this, cause we're fatalists. We expect that some bad sh*t is gonna happen, so why not just accept it and bring it on? Eh, I'm tired of the absolutely DUMB sh*t. Give me some sublime dumb sh*t.

Revis seemed a little disenchanted with the whole franchise in his earlier comments this year about the locker room and the focus of the team. I could see a player like him not wanting to deal with Holmes, Rex, NY, Francesa, the whole scene. Put him on the Steelers, with that pass rush, and they probably walk into the Super Bowl.

That's basically the only reason I would see him holding out as well.

Even while he was making comments about the team while he was getting ready for the Pro-Bowl you could see he wasn't to thrilled about the whole ordeal.

Yeah but its not really the season Im concerned with. Its 2014 when Sanchez is replaced by a more capable player not named Tim Tebow and the offense moves out of 2002 and into 2012. We all saw when the team was built in 2008 that it was designed to peak in 2009 and have a punchers chance in 2008 (pre Favre) and 2010. We came really really close all three years and if not for the QB position would have won at least 1 Super Bowl. With the horrid drafting since Revis and lack of development of the QB Im pretty convinced that window is shut with or without Revis. Deep down we all know this is likely going to be a 7 to 9 win team. The last thing I want is to win 9 games and have $16 million dollar cap charges for my cornerback the next 4 years when the next closest guy at the position makes 12 million and the third highest is under 11 million. Id rather get myself a huge cap credit and finish with 6 wins and have the salary flexibility to improve in the future. For as great as Revis and some of these other high priced players are throughout the league (Fitzgerald, Peterson, Ware, Allen, Peppers) the teams basically stink when they blow up their caps to sign these guys. The only players to blow up on are QBs. Its not worth it for anyone else even those who may be the greatest of all time at their positions.

I called in and spoke with Jody mac today, and to be honest was a bit disappointed. I brought up some critical issues the team has, and he really seems to be convinced that a threat of a Revis Holdout is bigger than glaring holes in the depth chart.

I called in and spoke with Jody mac today, and to be honest was a bit disappointed. I brought up some critical issues the team has, and he really seems to be convinced that a threat of a Revis Holdout is bigger than glaring holes in the depth chart.

Ha from Seattle right? Def heard your call. You met Wayne Hunter right?

I like Jody, but seriously there is no way Revis is holding out. If he does, he voids his contract and we have him for another 5 years. He isn't that stupid. I also don't like the contingent of fans that say we should trade Darrelle. You want to get rid of the best player this franchise has had since Curtis Martin? If I told you we could have Wilkerson, Wilson and Ducasse or Revis? Which one would you chose? Thats two #1's and a #2 pick. I would gladly take Revis in a heartbeat. I think we re-do his deal next year and he stays a Jet for awhile. He seems to like playing for Rex and is in the biggest media market in the world. Revis should be a Jet for well into his prime.

Yeah but its not really the season Im concerned with. Its 2014 when Sanchez is replaced by a more capable player not named Tim Tebow and the offense moves out of 2002 and into 2012. We all saw when the team was built in 2008 that it was designed to peak in 2009 and have a punchers chance in 2008 (pre Favre) and 2010. We came really really close all three years and if not for the QB position would have won at least 1 Super Bowl. With the horrid drafting since Revis and lack of development of the QB Im pretty convinced that window is shut with or without Revis. Deep down we all know this is likely going to be a 7 to 9 win team. The last thing I want is to win 9 games and have $16 million dollar cap charges for my cornerback the next 4 years when the next closest guy at the position makes 12 million and the third highest is under 11 million. Id rather get myself a huge cap credit and finish with 6 wins and have the salary flexibility to improve in the future. For as great as Revis and some of these other high priced players are throughout the league (Fitzgerald, Peterson, Ware, Allen, Peppers) the teams basically stink when they blow up their caps to sign these guys. The only players to blow up on are QBs. Its not worth it for anyone else even those who may be the greatest of all time at their positions.

Really going to have to disagree. The defense alone going into next year makes 10-12 possible, but not without Revis. (Actually doing something in the playoffs however is another story). The guy probably takes another patchwork deal anyways. If Sanchez is the QB for another two years, I want something to justify all the dough I shell out on games, merch, and Sunday beer. I know it may not seem like it, but I prefer to actually enjoy watching the Jets rather than the team saying 'F it.' If that means overpaying Revis for another two seasons, so be it. Overpay the crap out of him until he's a luxury and not a necessity.

Losing Revis would be a huge step back for the defense but if hes going to be a dick and hold the team hostage then get him out of here and get what you possibly can in a trade. When I was saying stupid I was refering to bringing mark sanchez into yet another equasion he does not belong

I'm sure what he meant to say was "Sanchez is so awesome that we no matter who we lose, everything is going to be awesome."

I'm sure what he meant to say was "Sanchez is so awesome that we no matter who we lose, everything is going to be awesome."

I know what he was trying to say its just getting a bit old with the sanchez references in every topic

Jets would then wait until I believe 5 days to state that he committed a forfeitable breach of his contract. At that point the Jets can begin to collect damages back from Revis including percentages of his $1 million roster bonus and $1 million reporting bonus, if earned. I think the way it works is that they begin to allocate them the same as signing bonuses to determine salary lost. For example his $1 million roster bonus will only count as 500K in salary he can give up, so he gets to keep 500K no matter what. The fines on the 500K should be 15% for the first 6 days and then 1% each day thereafter until it maxes out at 25%. There is another 25% charge for missing the first game because of holdout. After that he forfeits salary proportionate to the time held out (1/17th each game).

I assume that all of this is true, because you are the sh!t when it comes to this contract stuff, but Revis still has the same leverage he had the last time he held out: he's an extremely valuable player.

It would be a ballsy move that would alienate a lot of fans, but he could refuse to report until the Jets rip up his current deal and give him a billion dollars - or trade him to a team that will. At that point, Tannenbaum would have to decide whether he wants to pay Revis, trade him for maximum value, or let him rot. While a lot of fans may be behind the last option, it's the one that's probably worst for the team.

Personally, I think it would be a mistake on Revis' part. As you said, he's got $8.5M guaranteed coming this year, and has the Jets over a barrel after that. I also think his play slipped a bit the second half of last season, and he needs to reestablish himself as the greatest ever. That slippage could be the reason the Jets might let him sit the first 2/3's of the year. It's really a huge risk on his part with not a lot of potential reward. The wildcard factor is Revis' ego, and his need to be the highest paid at his position.

Really going to have to disagree. The defense alone going into next year makes 10-12 possible, but not without Revis. (Actually doing something in the playoffs however is another story). The guy probably takes another patchwork deal anyways. If Sanchez is the QB for another two years, I want something to justify all the dough I shell out on games, merch, and Sunday beer. I know it may not seem like it, but I prefer to actually enjoy watching the Jets rather than the team saying 'F it.' If that means overpaying Revis for another two seasons, so be it. Overpay the crap out of him until he's a luxury and not a necessity.

See I just dont see our defense as that good. On a points basis, adjusted for the schedule, they were average last season. I guess they should have been better than that based on how they played on most of the field but for some reason the run defense, which was the strength of the team, would fall apart around the end zone. That was kind of a strange thing. The team still didnt address the big issue of stopping the deep passes, which admittedly would be worse without Revis, but its the same issue. And we all know offensively the team did zero to improve unless Tebow somehow turns into a spectacular runner. I guess whatt it comes down to is I dont see Revis making that kind of difference unless we find another difference maker on defense in the draft. I liken it to those dying days of the Cowboys where they sunk a bunch of money in Deion and the team became mediocre anyway because the offensive players all began to fall apart.

Archived