Report: Jets wanted Irvin, not Coples

brian101193

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really, i mean what the hell happen after the 3rd round. the rest of the pics are crap. what bothers me is there was great players with 4th and 5th round grades we got guys that had no grades at all. this scouting crew needs to go!

really, i mean what the hell happen after the 3rd round. the rest of the pics are crap. what bothers me is there was great players with 4th and 5th round grades we got guys that had no grades at all. this scouting crew needs to go!

We didn't have picks in the 5th and 4th. We have the 4th for tebow and the 5th in the Stephen

Hill trade

Being "fed up analytically" may be one of the most comical retorts I have ever heard a fan mutter.

Lat's get ourselves into lather, over pure speculation with any known grounds in reality.

Fandoms really make me laugh at times. with this stuff.

EDIT-You can't spell "analytically" without "anal"

I like this post for a bunch of reasons.

Lenny is pretty reliable.

Here's a snippet of the report from Len Pasquarelli at The Sports Xchange.

Less than five minutes after the Seahawks plucked Irvin, with a pick that surprised many pundits, the telephone rang in the Seattle "war room." On the other end was a Jets' official, good-naturedly cursing a Seahawks' counterpart for having chosen the prospect New York planned to grab one pick later. San Francisco dispatched an assistant coach to meet with, and work out, Irvin two days before the draft. One of the teams intrigued by Irvin phoned him the week before the draft to indicate its interest in him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seattle-bruce-irvin-pick-got-them-earful-naughty-170149486.html

Here is the thing with Irvin. The Jets did not sign a single free agent or draft a single player this offseason that had an arrest record. Yet Irvin has a record. Also,This is the second year in a row that Seatle has spent a first round pick on a player most regarded as a 3rd round talent. Seatle has taken heat for A LOT of moves over the last two years. I just think this is Seatle justifying the pick.

Lenny is pretty reliable.

Here's a snippet of the report from Len Pasquarelli at The Sports Xchange.

Less than five minutes after the Seahawks plucked Irvin, with a pick that surprised many pundits, the telephone rang in the Seattle "war room." On the other end was a Jets' official, good-naturedly cursing a Seahawks' counterpart for having chosen the prospect New York planned to grab one pick later. San Francisco dispatched an assistant coach to meet with, and work out, Irvin two days before the draft. One of the teams intrigued by Irvin phoned him the week before the draft to indicate its interest in him.

http://sports.yahoo....-170149486.html

this is like when your buddy takes a kicker in the 3rd round of the fantasy football draft and you tell him it's a really great pick.

this is like when your buddy takes a kicker in the 3rd round of the fantasy football draft and you tell him it's a really great pick.

Nice. They might as well have put a bow on Coples and delivered him to the Jets by horse and carriage with that pick.

then why piss and moan by calling seahags

Why would they legitimately tip their hand?

Irvin was a surprise there, and the Jets could've been busting balls a little bit for taking a player they wanted... in the second round.

Mehta's said that the Jets liked Irvin, but NOT at #16, and that if Coples wasn't there and they couldn't trade down, they would've taken DeCastro there. I thought we were done with this.

Seahawks are pulling the same two other teams wanted this guy with their second round reach. I think their full of sh!t.

Why would they legitimately tip their hand?

Irvin was a surprise there, and the Jets could've been busting balls a little bit for taking a player they wanted... in the second round.

Mehta's said that the Jets liked Irvin, but NOT at #16, and that if Coples wasn't there and they couldn't trade down, they would've taken DeCastro there. I thought we were done with this.

Seahawks are pulling the same two other teams wanted this guy with their second round reach. I think their full of sh!t.

Not to mention, nobody has yet addressed the issue that there is zero logic behind this happening at the time that it allegedly did considering it claims that the Jets were calling the Seahawks to bust their balls about this pick while the Jets were on the clock. If that doesn't sound like a heaping load of horse crap, I don't know what does.

They also haven't denied the Mehta report. It serves no purpose to chase after erroneous stories.

I think they wanted irvin, they should be happy seahags took the heat over pick, funny thing is he is very good, but he is a thugturd

then why piss and moan by calling seahags

Maybe Jets call was "damn you took Irvin, we were going to trade back and take him in R2".

Nobody really knows what was talked about. Or what was planned. All we know is that every draft expert is dumping on teh Jets right now, even though they got great value in the spots they picked Coples and Hill, based on the draft expert pre-draft prognosis. Meaning? Its all bullsh*t and they all just copy each other, if one guy puts Coples at 8th on his board, they all do... if that same hypocrite then criticizes teh Jets for taking Coples at 16, they all do.

Games can't start soon enough.

Bob Sanders had good character.

Why is this still a thread?

Because idiots and morons that dream there are these wild conspiracies because they need something to bitch and whine about have access to the internet ;)

We didn't have picks in the 5th and 4th. We have the 4th for tebow and the 5th in the Stephen

Hill trade

i mean at 6 there was guys with 4th and 5th round grades the last safety was the only good pic in my mind, after the 3rd wich i dont know much about,i think if we drop a few spots in the 3rd we get him plus a 5

i mean at 6 there was guys with 4th and 5th round grades the last safety was the only good pic in my mind, after the 3rd wich i dont know much about,i think if we drop a few spots in the 3rd we get him plus a 5

You may be right about that but I'm satisfied with the Davis pick, I thought Ganaway was a good pick and so was White. Bush looked good too and they must like him if they took him over Allen. Who would you have wanted?

Huh?

ok there were players with 4th and 5th round grades when we picked at 6 the players we took had grades 7 or fa. Allen the safety we got was a great pic he had a 4th round grade and we got him in the 7th

You may be right about that but I'm satisfied with the Davis pick, I thought Ganaway was a good pick and so was White. Bush looked good too and they must like him if they took him over Allen. Who would you have wanted?

Someone whom he never saw and or read about before this past weekend?? :confused0082:

i think tom compton wuold have been a nice pic at 187 a right tackle wich we need

Someone whom he never saw and or read about before this past weekend?? :confused0082:

Really tom compton a right tackle wich we need, you think bush was a better pic? Tom was there we could have piked bush at 202

ok there were players with 4th and 5th round grades when we picked at 6 the players we took had grades 7 or fa. Allen the safety we got was a great pic he had a 4th round grade and we got him in the 7th

Don't get hung up on pre-draft grades. For the most part, where players actually get taken is much more indicative of their value than what Mel Kiper is repeating for three hours while his top prospects slide. When all is said and done, it's rare that the "steals of the draft" are guys who were initially rated higher then where they went. Usually it's guys that everything thinks went too early at the time.

Don't get hung up on pre-draft grades. For the most part, where players actually get taken is much more indicative of their value than what Mel Kiper is repeating for three hours while his top prospects slide. When all is said and done, it's rare that the "steals of the draft" are guys who were initially rated higher then where they went. Usually it's guys that everything thinks went too early at the time.

true but i must say there was a good right tackle when we picked bush a need i just think we get bush in the 7th or with the other 6 that we had and fill a need

Really tom compton a right tackle wich we need, you think bush was a better pic? Tom was there we could have piked bush at 202

I don't doubt that you know some of the players, but when it comes to 6th and 7th round picks, it usually leads to people throwing out names of players that they heard of or read from a draft site. Very few people other than scouts and draftniks actually have watched University of South Dakota coyotes games, thus where these players actually get picked is more indicative of their value, despite some of these draft sites' pre-draft grades. To me, complaining about 6th and 7th round compensatory picks is really nitpicking, but to each his own.

I don't doubt that you know some of the players, but when it comes to 6th and 7th round picks, it usually leads to people throwing out names of players that they heard of or read from a draft site. Very few people other than scouts and draftniks actually have watched University of South Dakota coyotes games, thus where these players actually get picked is more indicative of their value, despite some of these draft sites' pre-draft grades. To me, complaining about 6th and 7th round compensatory picks is really nitpicking, but to each his own.

yeah i guess just hope we beat the pats

Cimini is Teh King Troll. This from his twitter a few hours ago:

Rich Cimini ‏ @RichCimini

Pettine says Coples was highest-rated player in group they were targeting. Did a "mental backflip" when Coples was available. #Jets

Ryan denies report, says they wouldn't have taken Bruce Irvin at 16. Says Coples, Hill rated higher than Irvin. Sanchez here, not speaking

I think this lends credence to the notion that the Jets were targeting Irvin with their second round pick, however if Hill still had dropped, looks like he wouldn't have been selected anyways. To me it just seems that a guy who would not be viable on the first couple of downs due to his struggles against the run, he would just be another Maybin. Speaking of which...

And just for fun about Maybin, which is good news:

LB Aaron Maybin gained 8 lbs., up to 240. Says he'd like to have bigger role on defense. Loves the new emphasis on speed. #Jets

Archived