Report: Jets wanted Irvin, not Coples

brian101193

true but i must say there was a good right tackle when we picked bush a need i just think we get bush in the 7th or with the other 6 that we had and fill a need

The fact that two safeties taken in the sixth and seventh rounds not only have a chance to make the Jets roster, but actually compete for a starting job, should tell you that the position was a huge need. The Jets had Bush in for a visit, and (obviously) really liked him. He's supposed to be smart, runs a 4.5 40, and has played some CB. I think he could turn out to be a very good pick.

As for the OL, 1.) I think fans are more concerned about it than the Jets and 2.) it's a hard position for a lower pick usually to step right in and play. The OL they did take will likely end up on the practice squad while 2nd and 3rd year players compete for the starting RT spot.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cimini is Teh King Troll. This from his twitter a few hours ago:

Rich Cimini ‏ @RichCimini

Pettine says Coples was highest-rated player in group they were targeting. Did a "mental backflip" when Coples was available. #Jets

Ryan denies report, says they wouldn't have taken Bruce Irvin at 16. Says Coples, Hill rated higher than Irvin. Sanchez here, not speaking

I think this lends credence to the notion that the Jets were targeting Irvin with their second round pick, however if Hill still had dropped, looks like he wouldn't have been selected anyways. To me it just seems that a guy who would not be viable on the first couple of downs due to his struggles against the run, he would just be another Maybin. Speaking of which...

And just for fun about Maybin, which is good news:

LB Aaron Maybin gained 8 lbs., up to 240. Says he'd like to have bigger role on defense. Loves the new emphasis on speed. #Jets

good to hear that i hope they put him all over the field

The fact that two safeties taken in the sixth and seventh rounds not only have a chance to make the Jets roster, but actually compete for a starting job, should tell you that the position was a huge need. The Jets had Bush in for a visit, and (obviously) really liked him. He's supposed to be smart, runs a 4.5 40, and has played some CB. I think he could turn out to be a very good pick.

As for the OL, 1.) I think fans are more concerned about it than the Jets and 2.) it's a hard position for a lower pick usually to step right in and play. The OL they did take will likely end up on the practice squad while 2nd and 3rd year players compete for the starting RT spot.

It seems as though this is an absolute necessity for a Rex Ryan safety and the number one reason why I think Smith will be play a much larger role until any of the younger guys can grasp the playbook. I'm not too optimistic about them learning it too quickly as it took Poole almost a full year to be fully comfortable lining everyone in front of him up. You could even see Revis telling guys where to be at times, which in turn caused him to give up a catch here and there. Once he does learn the system, I agree that he could turn out to be a player. If one of these two safeties pans out, that's just great value.

Someone whom he never saw and or read about before this past weekend?? :confused0082:

i think tom compton wuold have been a nice pic at 187 a right tackle wich we need

Yea I don't even know who Tom Compton is, I think Sanders was there late it wouldve been nice to trade up for him in the 5th I think?

Yea I don't even know who Tom Compton is, I think Sanders was there late it wouldve been nice to trade up for him in the 5th I think?

true yeah and it would fix a need thats my point but i guess we wil see if ducase or turner will get better

• 8 months later...

I didn't watch the Seahawks too much this year.. but Irvin had 8 sacks but very few tackles otherwise.. I think they view him as a liability against the run. Coples had what? 6? But I think he finished the year in the 30 - 40 tackle range.

I'm not saying we'd definitely pick one or the other, but I could see both developing into very solid players. If Rex stays in charge of our defense long-term, I think Coples has shown the ability to develop into a solid every-down kind of guy who can generate a pass rush with some help... which is exactly what we'd want.

Edit : Think we'll learn a lot more about Irvin this week with Clemons on the IR.

I didn't watch the Seahawks too much this year.. but Irvin had 8 sacks but very few tackles otherwise.. I think they view him as a liability against the run. Coples had what? 6? But I think he finished the year in the 30 - 40 tackle range.

I'm not saying we'd definitely pick one or the other, but I could see both developing into very solid players. If Rex stays in charge of our defense long-term, I think Coples has shown the ability to develop into a solid every-down kind of guy who can generate a pass rush with some help... which is exactly what we'd want.

Edit : Think we'll learn a lot more about Irvin this week with Clemons on the IR.

Coples can play inside. This may well be his best, but least flashy, position. So far I give him a C to C- because he looks like a real rook most of the time. Mo, on the other hand, never looked lost and never disappeared from the first time he put his fist in the ground.

Coples can play inside. This may well be his best, but least flashy, position. So far I give him a C to C- because he looks like a real rook most of the time. Mo, on the other hand, never looked lost and never disappeared from the first time he put his fist in the ground.

Not that I paid a huge amount of attention this year but it seems like Coples got better as the year went on.

I didn't even notice that Chandler Jones ended up with less than 7 sacks after his hot start. I think he had 5 before the halfway point. Pretty cool to see (even though I didn't fact check) considering Coples was the opposite and the Jets seemed to get crap for that pick.

in hindsight? well, given the abundance of talent in this years draft stock at 34OLB I'd actually still consider Coples a fine pick. They really just need to hit right on that edge rusher this year....whether it's Moore, Mingo, Jones, Jordan or someone else. If they do choose wisely I think they've possibly created a stronger front 7 with Coples and (blank) 34OLB player than with Irvin and them looking for a long term dominant 34 DE this year.

IMO, coples and mo will give us a big advantage up front against offenses for years to come. Strong base up front where it will open up things for LBs that will be drafted in the future. I like Coples and I can see him getting even better. He flashed this year, and hasnt hit his ceiling. Havent seen much of the guy in Seattle.

Don't get hung up on pre-draft grades. For the most part, where players actually get taken is much more indicative of their value than what Mel Kiper is repeating for three hours while his top prospects slide. When all is said and done, it's rare that the "steals of the draft" are guys who were initially rated higher then where they went. Usually it's guys that everything thinks went too early at the time.

Vontaze Burfickt

Bump because:

Who would the Jets take given hindsight and the opportunity to take either?

In hindsight, the Jets made the right pick. Coples is going to be a beast. He's a well rounded player able to play the run as well as get after the QB. As the season went on, he started to figure out how to close in the NFL while pursuing the QB. I watched him on numerous plays blow up 2 blockers. Considering the #'s he put up in the limited snaps, I'd say this kids going to be a stud once he can be an every down player.

FootballOutsiders.com has them.

Defensive Snaps (not counting STs):

Coples: 503 - 30 tackles, 5 for loss, 5.5 sacks, 2 pd's

Jones: 729 - 45 tackles, 4 for loss, 6 sacks, 5 pd's, 3 ff

Irvin: 434 - 17 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 ff

Pretty solid season for Coples all things considered. You also arent hearing the name Melvin Ingram which all the haters around here said was a big mistake passing on him for Coples.

Vontaze Burfickt

people talk about Vontaze like they missed out on some awesome player. He fits with the Bengals which are like the island of misfit toys. On another team he'd be a problem.

as for Coples I like the way he got stronger as the year progressed. He's got natural gifts that lend themselves to NFL success. Chandler Jones hasn't had a sack since October.

Wouldnt be too surprising...produced in college...at 6'3" has good height...very strong workout numbers...moves well on tape...Still, who gives a sh*t? He's not a certified Ware-esque freak and he's got his own off the field (and on the field) issues.

If they wanted Irvin the gap between him and Coples couldn't have been large. OTOH, I don't mind ESPN/others crapping on Los Yets right now...they'll all be back on the wagon again soon enough...let them enjoy blowing the Pats for now since the Brady era is coming to an end sooner rather than later.

I would actually expect the Pats to perform their annual first game folderoo-interrupted by Tebow's dismal performance last year--in the playoffs against the texans, if I did not think that Schaub was a puss at QB.

people talk about Vontaze like they missed out on some awesome player. He fits with the Bengals which are like the island of misfit toys. On another team he'd be a problem.

as for Coples I like the way he got stronger as the year progressed. He's got natural gifts that lend themselves to NFL success. Chandler Jones hasn't had a sack since October.

I don't know what Coples issues are frankly unless they are the usual low motor things, but I think he has real pass rushing ability. He is kind of long, yet they rush him from the inside a lot. I see him more as an end all the time.

Archived