Reasons I'm now pumped for the season

Jetsfan80

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thin we did upgrade the offense a bit--but not necessarily with the new, unproven WR's. I think the TE Linthicum is going to be a big boost to the Oline with his blocking. He's not Brady/Becht dominant, but solid and has better hands than Mulligan.

Didnt we also get a rugby dude? Sparano has me excited to see what he comes up with. We're getting bigger, stronger and faster on offense. I have to say though, and this is probably because the Fins started it, but im not a fan of the wildcat and I never liked when the Jets ran it.

The only other thing I'll say about this WR thing, is I think there's one thing you're not accounting for, villain. Even if we concede on the debate of who will be the better receiver, that still doesn't make Jeffery the better fit for the Jets. The Jets quite clearly selected Hill with his exact play in mind. The kid is clearly an amazing deep threat, something the Jets SORELY missed last season. In addition to that, he adds another big target into the fold and, something else you have to realize that given what the Jets went through last season can't be overlooked, his college experience not only helps him to be an excellent blocker, but tells you flat out this is not going to be the kind of kid who's going to cause problems because he's not getting the ball enough. Don't think for a second that it's not the combination of all of these factors that didn't play into the Jets' decision. How it all works out remains to be seen, but you have to consider that the Jets weren't just blindly looking for a good WR, they were specifically looking for a WR with a set of skills that complimented their offensive design and their already existing receiving corps.

The only other thing I'll say about this WR thing, is I think there's one thing you're not accounting for, villain. Even if we concede on the debate of who will be the better receiver, that still doesn't make Jeffery the better fit for the Jets. The Jets quite clearly selected Hill with his exact play in mind. The kid is clearly an amazing deep threat, something the Jets SORELY missed last season. In addition to that, he adds another big target into the fold and, something else you have to realize that given what the Jets went through last season can't be overlooked, his college experience not only helps him to be an excellent blocker, but tells you flat out this is not going to be the kind of kid who's going to cause problems because he's not getting the ball enough. Don't think for a second that it's not the combination of all of these factors that didn't play into the Jets' decision. How it all works out remains to be seen, but you have to consider that the Jets weren't just blindly looking for a good WR, they were specifically looking for a WR with a set of skills that complimented their offensive design and their already existing receiving corps.

Cant argue with this.

This is true. I just think that people made a big deal about his weight. He even dropped the weight to show teams that he's serious. This is even more reason why we should have took him in the 2nd. This guy was obviously a first round quality WR that fell to the 2nd.

Okay, we get it. You're on the record preferring Jeffery.

The first round quality in the second round tag applies to Hill, too.

Jeffery'll probably have much better stats simply by virtue to going to the Bears. If you switched players, you'd swap production as well.

I think Hill has the greater upside, and I think coming from a running program, where he was asked to be selfless and do a lot of blocking, will help him in his transition to the Jets. I just think he's a perfect fit here.

Conversely, Jeffery getting fat during the season is a red flag. And all the production he got in college would leave him very frustrated coming to the Jets. Teamed up with Holmes, they'd probably hold hourly bitch sessions.

Okay, we get it. You're on the record preferring Jeffery.

The first round quality in the second round tag applies to Hill, too.

Jeffery'll probably have much better stats simply by virtue to going to the Bears. If you switched players, you'd swap production as well.

I think Hill has the greater upside, and I think coming from a running program, where he was asked to be selfless and do a lot of blocking, will help him in his transition to the Jets. I just think he's a perfect fit here.

Conversely, Jeffery getting fat during the season is a red flag. And all the production he got in college would leave him very frustrated coming to the Jets. Teamed up with Holmes, they'd probably hold hourly bitch sessions.

He didnt gain weight. He was the same weight his sophomore year.

When the Chicago GM asked him about his weight he said that he weighed 232 his last year, just like he did the year before. There was no difference in his weight. And thats coming from the man himself. Like I said, its a non relevant topic which people use to spin their speculation of him possibly being frustrated and having bitch sessions with future teams. It doesnt seem like he was having those type of issues in college, so stamping the diva label on dude for no reason just makes me shake my head.

He wasnt frustrated or bitching about losing the weight. He lost it and was ready to go for his pro day. Just negativity I hear yet I havent heard anything from anyone about something negative that this guy actually did. The typical media sh*t.

Also, how does a 1st round tag apply to Hill? He has no production dude. He has potential out the window but thats about it bro. You're taking a blind guess because of that. I feel like you just said that simply to say it.

Jeffery went down to the 2nd round because of his weight, but he displayed first round, top receiver talent via performance. Why did Hill drop then? Could it be lack of production? If so then that means he wasnt a 1st round talent to begin with and he in fact "never dropped". He was a 2nd round talent with huge upside. Its not like you can say "he runs routes well", or "he's a dependable WR, just look at his averages. Its off the charts". This is true, but look at this average. He had 28 catches and 6 drops last year. That means he will drop every 5th pass. Thats not 1st round talent dude. Thats a heavy work in progress, which equates to a 2nd round or lower tag.

Dont get me wrong, I think he's worth a 2nd round talent given his enormous potential, but he's not a #1 because of his huge bust potential. Im not saying that this guy sucks. But to say that he's a 1st round talent simply to say it is like stamping a diva tag on someone simply to put dude in a negative light.

He didnt gain weight. He was the same weight his sophomore year. When the Chicago GM asked him about his weight he said that he weighed 232 his last year, just like he did the year before. There was no difference in his weight. And thats coming from the man himself. Like I said, its a non relevant topic which people use to spin their speculation of him possibly being frustrated and having bitch sessions with future teams. It doesnt seem like he was having those type of issues in college, so stamping the diva label on dude for no reason just makes me shake my head. He wasnt frustrated or bitching about losing the weight. He lost it and was ready to go for his pro day. Just negativity I hear yet I havent heard anything from anyone about something negative that this guy actually did. The typical media sh*t. Also, how does a 1st round tag apply to Hill? He has no production dude. He has potential out the window but thats about it bro. You're taking a blind guess because of that. I feel like you just said that simply to say it. Jeffery went down to the 2nd round because of his weight, but he displayed first round, top receiver talent via performance. Why did Hill drop then? Could it be lack of production? If so then that means he wasnt a 1st round talent to begin with and he in fact "never dropped". He was a 2nd round talent with huge upside. Its not like you can say "he runs routes well", or "he's a dependable WR, just look at his averages. Its off the charts". This is true, but look at this average. He had 28 catches and 6 drops last year. That means he will drop every 5th pass. Thats not 1st round talent dude. Thats a heavy work in progress, which equates to a 2nd round or lower tag. Dont get me wrong, I think he's worth a 2nd round talent given his enormous potential, but he's not a #1 because of his huge bust potential. Im not saying that this guy sucks. But to say that he's a 1st round talent simply to say it is like stamping a diva tag on someone simply to put dude in a negative light.

Jeffery was better the year before just as coples was, he definitely lost some coin

Also, how does a 1st round tag apply to Hill? He has no production dude. He has potential out the window but thats about it bro. You're taking a blind guess because of that. I feel like you just said that simply to say it.

Many outlets had Hill as a potential first round pick. Many mocks had him going late in the first. Most that I've seen had him going higher than Jeffery.

Hill's ceiling is higher than your boy's. His floor may be lower, but I like drafting for ceiling.

Jeffery was better the year before just as coples was, he definitely lost some coin

Jeffery #'s declined because the Gamecock coaching staffed dismissed their QB almost midway thru the year. Also, in 2009 the Gamecocks ran the ball 435 times, in 2011 they ran the ball 553 times. In passes attempted they went from 440 in 2009 to 317 in 2011.

Question, why did Coples decline? From what I hear it was a personal decision on his part to keep him from getting hurt. Im not hating on that, but his decline and Jeffery's decline is very different. He lost his QB, they ran the ball more and threw the ball significantly less.

Jeffery #'s declined because the Gamecock coaching staffed dismissed their QB almost midway thru the year. Also, in 2009 the Gamecocks ran the ball 435 times, in 2011 they ran the ball 553 times. In passes attempted they went from 440 in 2009 to 317 in 2011.

Question, why did Coples decline? From what I hear it was a personal decision on his part to keep him from getting hurt. Im not hating on that, but his decline and Jeffery's decline is very different. He lost his QB, they ran the ball more and threw the ball significantly less.

Coples should have realized he was still playing for a big paycheck, so that is reason for concern. who cares if uNC was in turmoil, he was playing for huge $$

Jeffery is a good player and will be an asset to cutler

Many outlets had Hill as a potential first round pick. Many mocks had him going late in the first. Most that I've seen had him going higher than Jeffery.

Hill's ceiling is higher than your boy's. His floor may be lower, but I like drafting for ceiling.

I wont deny that his ceiling may be higher, but hill is certainly in the basement while Jeffery is halfway to the top of his building. So you can call it what you like.

As for the Mocks, thats not what I asked you. Mocks are just that. My question what "what made him a 1st round talent"? I can sit back and state why Jeffery was a 1st round talent, as well as why he dropped. Can you tell me why Hill is a 1st round talent (on just 50 catches for his career and 28 for his last year along with 6 drops) and why he dropped to the 2nd?

Coples should have realized he was still playing for a big paycheck, so that is reason for concern. who cares if uNC was in turmoil, he was playing for huge $$

Jeffery is a good player and will be an asset to cutler

THANK YOU! No hate on your part. No comparison to Coples and his situation given that they're obviously different. No saying that he's a fat a$$ diva etc. He's going to be an asset to Cutler because he's a very good WR.

I've got a few thoughts on what I've read in this thread, and then some thoughts on my own.

As far as Stephen Hill goes, everybody gets that he didn't produce in college. But he was brought in this year essentially to do what Torrey Smith did for the Ravens last year. Go out, block, and run deep during games while developing the intermediate stuff on the practice field. He'll probably make some big plays, but his big impact will be demanding safety attention to free up things underneath for Holmes and Keller who both (particularly Holmes) struggled with tighter coverage because teams could afford to play up and give safety attention because teams knew Burress wasn't going to beat them deep. Also, Hill caught almost half of his team's completions last year. And as for his hands, the reason Hill blew up at the scouting combine and Tommy Streeter (6th round pick to the Ravens) didn't was because Hill showed outstanding hands during drills and the ability to pluck the ball away from his body. He was fantastic. Streeter wasn't and even though they both ran around the same time at around the same size (Streeter's like 6'4 and ran right around 4.4 if not below), he didn't look nearly as good catching the football as Hill did. Hill was absolutely raw coming out of college but put in the work predraft and if he continues to do so he could be special.

As for Jeffery I won't rant as much as I did on Hill but I'll say just a couple things. One, if you watch him sophomore year to junior year it's clear that he got fat, and there's even pictures of him preseason. Dude got fat, and for a receiver that's a huge red flag. And two, the reason he had so many highlight catches is because he did not get open in college. Yeah his QB's weren't great and he got a lot of attention after a huge sophomore year, but a big reason he made so many catches with DB's draped all over him is because he couldn't get away from those DB's that were draped all over him when the ball got there. It was the same thing sophomore year though to a lesser extent, that's why teams didn't like him as much along with the weight problems. A lot harder to have success that way in the NFL. And also less of a fit for the Jets because of that. Good chance it would've been Burress all over again.

With Sparano I really don't know what to expect and I know that there are reasons for optimism (namely, basically all QB's having a lot more success after not being under Schottenheimer anymore and Sparano's success calling the plays in Dallas) and thinking it'll be more the same (namely, players>plays). My one main hope is that the offensive line has a much easier time with his less complicated scheme. I also hope as posters have said he doesn't get too cute and basically tries to use his team's strengths to attack the opposing team's weaknesses instead of trying to stay two steps ahead of everybody and doing something stupid. Because I think the key to the team's success will be in offensive line play, and if one of the physically talented guys on the team currently playing right tackle "gets it" in a more simple system that'd be HUGE for the team's success.

Finally, here's one of my many beefs with what the team's done recently. Obviously the defense has been better than the offense recently. The defense needed some youth, but really the defense can go about as far as the offense is able to take the team if that makes sense. This team isn't going to go 4-12 because the defense finished 30th in the league and couldn't stop anybody, and they're not going to go 14-2 because the defense led the league either. The offense needs to be able to score enough points to win those 9-6 games that this team will lose. And the plan is to win running the ball. Aside from having a great passing game that opens up the run (which wouldn't really be a run first offense), the two ways you win running the ball are having a dominant offensive line or a dominant back. This team features an offensive line with 3 Pro Bowlers (though one isn't really a road grader in the running game and the other is aging), one average guy, and one gigantic question mark. Additionally, there are 4 backs on the team, the best of whom have been nothing better than mediocre the last two seasons, and really at all besides Shonn Greene going bananas at the end of 2009. Even adding a home run hitter or a veteran right tackle who can run block and protect the QB would have been something, but essentially they brought in two 6th rounders from Baylor and Tebow. Now maybe Tebow is the answer, but he'll be disrupting the passing game too and ultimately if that's the way the team moves the ball it'll just be a college offense and Sanchez will get benched. Maybe it's just me, but they preach dominant running game, clearly had a mediocre one last year, and did almost nothing about it. And the standard running package will be the same. That bugged me.

I've got a few thoughts on what I've read in this thread, and then some thoughts on my own.

As far as Stephen Hill goes, everybody gets that he didn't produce in college. But he was brought in this year essentially to do what Torrey Smith did for the Ravens last year. Go out, block, and run deep during games while developing the intermediate stuff on the practice field. He'll probably make some big plays, but his big impact will be demanding safety attention to free up things underneath for Holmes and Keller who both (particularly Holmes) struggled with tighter coverage because teams could afford to play up and give safety attention because teams knew Burress wasn't going to beat them deep. Also, Hill caught almost half of his team's completions last year. And as for his hands, the reason Hill blew up at the scouting combine and Tommy Streeter (6th round pick to the Ravens) didn't was because Hill showed outstanding hands during drills and the ability to pluck the ball away from his body. He was fantastic. Streeter wasn't and even though they both ran around the same time at around the same size (Streeter's like 6'4 and ran right around 4.4 if not below), he didn't look nearly as good catching the football as Hill did. Hill was absolutely raw coming out of college but put in the work predraft and if he continues to do so he could be special.

As for Jeffery I won't rant as much as I did on Hill but I'll say just a couple things. One, if you watch him sophomore year to junior year it's clear that he got fat, and there's even pictures of him preseason. Dude got fat, and for a receiver that's a huge red flag. And two, the reason he had so many highlight catches is because he did not get open in college. Yeah his QB's weren't great and he got a lot of attention after a huge sophomore year, but a big reason he made so many catches with DB's draped all over him is because he couldn't get away from those DB's that were draped all over him when the ball got there. It was the same thing sophomore year though to a lesser extent, that's why teams didn't like him as much along with the weight problems. A lot harder to have success that way in the NFL. And also less of a fit for the Jets because of that. Good chance it would've been Burress all over again.

With Sparano I really don't know what to expect and I know that there are reasons for optimism (namely, basically all QB's having a lot more success after not being under Schottenheimer anymore and Sparano's success calling the plays in Dallas) and thinking it'll be more the same (namely, players>plays). My one main hope is that the offensive line has a much easier time with his less complicated scheme. I also hope as posters have said he doesn't get too cute and basically tries to use his team's strengths to attack the opposing team's weaknesses instead of trying to stay two steps ahead of everybody and doing something stupid. Because I think the key to the team's success will be in offensive line play, and if one of the physically talented guys on the team currently playing right tackle "gets it" in a more simple system that'd be HUGE for the team's success.

Finally, here's one of my many beefs with what the team's done recently. Obviously the defense has been better than the offense recently. The defense needed some youth, but really the defense can go about as far as the offense is able to take the team if that makes sense. This team isn't going to go 4-12 because the defense finished 30th in the league and couldn't stop anybody, and they're not going to go 14-2 because the defense led the league either. The offense needs to be able to score enough points to win those 9-6 games that this team will lose. And the plan is to win running the ball. Aside from having a great passing game that opens up the run (which wouldn't really be a run first offense), the two ways you win running the ball are having a dominant offensive line or a dominant back. This team features an offensive line with 3 Pro Bowlers (though one isn't really a road grader in the running game and the other is aging), one average guy, and one gigantic question mark. Additionally, there are 4 backs on the team, the best of whom have been nothing better than mediocre the last two seasons, and really at all besides Shonn Greene going bananas at the end of 2009. Even adding a home run hitter or a veteran right tackle who can run block and protect the QB would have been something, but essentially they brought in two 6th rounders from Baylor and Tebow. Now maybe Tebow is the answer, but he'll be disrupting the passing game too and ultimately if that's the way the team moves the ball it'll just be a college offense and Sanchez will get benched. Maybe it's just me, but they preach dominant running game, clearly had a mediocre one last year, and did almost nothing about it. And the standard running package will be the same. That bugged me.

Damn good point there.

As for the Mocks, thats not what I asked you. Mocks are just that. My question what "what made him a 1st round talent"? I can sit back and state why Jeffery was a 1st round talent, as well as why he dropped. Can you tell me why Hill is a 1st round talent (on just 50 catches for his career and 28 for his last year along with 6 drops) and why he dropped to the 2nd?

First, you asked me how I could say he was a first round talent, accusing me of saying it "just to say it." Pointing out that many predraft reports had him going in the first justifies the statement.

Why is he a first round talent? hmmm.... You like throwing around numbers....

6'4"

Combine that with a professional attitude, solid character, and selfless blocker (in a position full of divas). The team had poor QB play, and barely threw the ball, yet Hill for all of his lack of production accounted for 820 of the team's 1850 passing yards, and 5 of their 11 TDs. Given his situation, he couldn't be asked to produce much more.

You're trying to make his production sound like sh!t, but it's clearly not.

I think he's going to be a better pro than Jeffery, and I'm glad he's the WR the Jets pulled the trigger on.

First, you asked me how I could say he was a first round talent, accusing me of saying it "just to say it." Pointing out that many predraft reports had him going in the first justifies the statement.

Why is he a first round talent? hmmm.... You like throwing around numbers....

6'4"

Combine that with a professional attitude, solid character, and selfless blocker (in a position full of divas). The team had poor QB play, and barely threw the ball, yet Hill for all of his lack of production accounted for 820 of the team's 1850 passing yards, and 5 of their 11 TDs. Given his situation, he couldn't be asked to produce much more.

You're trying to make his production sound like sh!t, but it's clearly not.

I think he's going to be a better pro than Jeffery, and I'm glad he's the WR the Jets pulled the trigger on.

I'll accept that, however, I NEVER made his production sound like sh*t. I just said that there wasnt much of it. I've said that repeatedly, which is a difference. What you did was make Jeffery out to be some type of diva frustrated thug and that obviously wasnt the case.

I said repeatedly that on averages Hill is outstanding. I did agree that for our offensive scheme he fits. I said that im content with him, I just think that we had a better option. I never made him out to be a "diva".

Anyway, Its not like im pissed out the pick. I think the guy has potential, a\

What game-changing back was available this offseason? Should we have gotten LaMichael James instead of Stephen Hill? Hill does just as much for our running game as a RB would; he's the deep threat we needed to pair with our running game. We've been productful with JAG's at the RB position in the past (See Thomas Jones & Leon Washington in 2009) so I don't see the problem with continuing to abide by the "don't draft RB's early" philosophy.

And as for the line, clearly Rex and co. think that much of last year's o-line struggles are correctable. Hunter was given an extension and is our RT for the foreseeable future. Moore seems to be a bit on the decline which perhaps explains the Griffin selection. Beyond that, maybe a June 1st cut or a UDFA will come out of the woodwork to help us out. I'm more worried about o-line depth than I am the starting unit to be honest.

What game-changing back was available this offseason? Should we have gotten LaMichael James instead of Stephen Hill? Hill does just as much for our running game as a RB would; he's the deep threat we needed to pair with our running game. We've been productful with JAG's at the RB position in the past (See Thomas Jones & Leon Washington in 2009) so I don't see the problem with continuing to abide by the "don't draft RB's early" philosophy.

And as for the line, clearly Rex and co. think that much of last year's o-line struggles are correctable. Hunter was given an extension and is our RT for the foreseeable future. Moore seems to be a bit on the decline which perhaps explains the Griffin selection. Beyond that, maybe a June 1st cut or a UDFA will come out of the woodwork to help us out. I'm more worried about o-line depth than I am the starting unit to be honest.

Well depends on your definition of "game changing back". I think there were plenty of upgrades over the team's current backs in the draft, or if they really wanted to try to hit a home run there were some great all around backs in FA that they could've acquired. They would've had to give up too much to get them, but they could've. But my point was more related to the offensive line anyway.

And maybe they do, or maybe Tannenbaum just refused to bring in an upgrade because he doesn't want to admit he made mistakes with Ducasse and Hunter and figures he'll give it one last run. Sparano was supposedly banging the table for Decastro so he clearly didn't think that the offensive line was going to be dominant or couldn't be upgraded. Hell they could've brought in Anthony Collins or a similar tackle, still had cap room, and had a major upgrade on the OL. Or they could've drafted a tackle. I don't think they're comfortable with the position so much as Tannenbaum's stubborn.

Regardless, can you tell me that the run game was anything better than mediocre last year? And do you really believe that there was just no way that it could've realistically been upgraded? Because if so I just have to disagree.

Well depends on your definition of "game changing back". I think there were plenty of upgrades over the team's current backs in the draft, or if they really wanted to try to hit a home run there were some great all around backs in FA that they could've acquired. They would've had to give up too much to get them, but they could've. But my point was more related to the offensive line anyway.

And maybe they do, or maybe Tannenbaum just refused to bring in an upgrade because he doesn't want to admit he made mistakes with Ducasse and Hunter and figures he'll give it one last run. Sparano was supposedly banging the table for Decastro so he clearly didn't think that the offensive line was going to be dominant or couldn't be upgraded. Hell they could've brought in Anthony Collins or a similar tackle, still had cap room, and had a major upgrade on the OL. Or they could've drafted a tackle. I don't think they're comfortable with the position so much as Tannenbaum's stubborn.

Regardless, can you tell me that the run game was anything better than mediocre last year? And do you really believe that there was just no way that it could've realistically been upgraded? Because if so I just have to disagree.

This is my great fear. The team is banking on the running game being the catalyst for the offense and we still don't have a right tackle. I actually think Tebow is going to be a downgrade from Brad Smith running the wildcat and the bulk of the production on the ground is going to have to come from traditional sets. So.. a right tackle would be really nice. Maybe Vlad wakes up and this doesn't matter.

This is my great fear. The team is banking on the running game being the catalyst for the offense and we still don't have a right tackle. I actually think Tebow is going to be a downgrade from Brad Smith running the wildcat and the bulk of the production on the ground is going to have to come from traditional sets. So.. a right tackle would be really nice. Maybe Vlad wakes up and this doesn't matter.

I hope so. This will be his first full off season. I think that matters. He wont just be thrown into the fire.

Barring injury, i think hill's floor is pretty much braylon edwards.

Am i the only one that's just happy we brought in a #1 type WR prospect? Even if we are just fans of the team, we've all known for years that we need to draft a legit wr prospect.

I agree with this 1000millionbillion percent %

I'm curious to see how our Offense looks w. Sparano behind it.

But I am excited to see our D... Can't wait to see Coples get a some sacks esp. game 1 against Fitzbitchin'

Barring injury, i think hill's floor is pretty much braylon edwards.

Am i the only one that's just happy we brought in a #1 type WR prospect? Even if we are just fans of the team, we've all known for years that we need to draft a legit wr prospect.

I'm happy. Theyve needed one of those size/speed freaks of their own for years now, years.

Agreed that he should be able to do what Braylon did here, and then hopefully more.

Archived