SI: Offseason Breakdown: New York Jets

flgreen

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drafting a pass-rushing DE was the only move that had any coherent thought surrounding it, and even that one is in question because of the player drafted.

Sanchez's fake extension was pretty legit, even if it was a PR disaster and provided good fodder. Pouha getting locked up with no hassle was a relief as well.

Right. Other teams don't get better. Only the Jets get better, even when some of their moves don't make any sense like the trade for Tebow.

NE was 13-3. The Jets were a dropped TD pass by Stevie Johnson from being 7-9 and tied with the Bills, so you're already neck and neck with the Bills, and they made major moves to fix their lousy pass defense while the Jets did NOTHING to fix the turnstile they have at RT or the void they have at FS.

You signed an inconsistent DL in Mark Anderson. An injury prone DE whose last 10+ sack season was 2008. Re signed players you already had and then the draft.. those were the major moves? I mean your pass rush will be improved but thats really it

Is Wayne Hunter still the Jets starting RT?

Is Shonn Green still the Jets starting RB?

Who's the Jets' FS again?

When you expect a never-was (Schillens) or a rookie with 45 career receptions (Hill) to be an effective #2 WR, you are operating on wishful thinking. When you are depending upon a 6th or 7th round rookie to be an adequate starter at FS, you are downright delusional.

The point is just like every offseason acquisition, there's no way to know how these will work out until they hit the field, and you dismissing them all because you say so is pointless (not to mention a number of your conclusions, like your whole FS thing, are completely off the mark). The same can be done for every team, including the Bills, despite their allegedly amazing offseason. It's not really that hard to dismiss the moves of a team who's biggest acquisition has ended his season on IR in back to back years and this supposed all star pass rusher hasn't hit double digit sack numbers since 2008, while their other DE signing everyone is supposed to be so afraid of had a five year gap between his first and second quality NFL seasons. We can play this game all offseason long but the truth is that it's the Bills that have to prove they're better than the Jets, not the other way around, considering it's the Bills that haven't had a winning season in 8 years and in that same time span have been completely dominated by the Jets. Of course that doesn't mean that can't change, but it's going to take a lot more than a couple of over-hyped moves on paper for that to be the case.

It's probably the actual reason Football is so popular. It gives the fans time to vent, kick their dog, throw food. As a drive progresses toward the goal line the tension builds. Perfect scenario.

Of course it also gives the sponsors time to sell their wares.

IMO, one of the reasons hockey isn't very popular is that it is continuous fast action. It burns the fan out. Then you run to the bathroom, and bam, a goal is scored

So, trading for Tim Tebow was an improvement? Well ... whatever.

Seriously, what non-Jets fans see when they look at your team's off-season is a team that added more strength to the areas where it was already strong and barely addressed -- or not even addressed in some cases -- the areas where it had weaknesses or outright holes. What it looks like, to me at least, is that the Jets are going to be very unbalanced in terms of defense vs offense. They may very well have the #1 defense, but they may very well have the #32 offense, too.

What Ryan and Sparano claim to want for the offense would scare me if I was a Jets fan.

• They want the Jets to be a run-first team but the OL isn't as good as it was in 2009 or 2010, and Shonn Green simply isn't a starting caliber RB; he's too slow, isn't elusive, doesn't have great vision, etc. Like Wayne Hunter, he's a career backup elevated to starter by default. Minimally, to be a good run-first team the Jets would need either a better OL or a better RB.
  • Using Tebow extensively as a wildcat QB (with the play being used frequently) or playing HB or on the punt team seems to be asking to hamstring the offense. Maybe it's just Ryan talking out of his anal orifice as he's wont to do. Taking Sanchez out of the game frequently to have Tebow run the wildcat will not only telegraph what's coming, it will put Sanchez off his rhythm. Using Tebow as a HB will also telegraph that the wildcat's coming because he's simply NOT a good enough blocker for the play to be any play except a wildcat. Using Tebow on punts is setting him up to get injured. He's the backup QB, NOT a HB or ST ace.

Your learned opinion thinks Mark Brunell was better than Tebow? I see.

"Shonn Green simply isn't a starting caliber RB." Really? He finished 2011 13th in the NFL with more than 1,000 yards rushing. Let's see where the leading Jills RB was - Oh, there is old man Fred Jackson all the way down at number 20 with less than 1,000 yards rushing. How about that stellar Pats running game? There's Benjarvis Whatever down there at number 26 with less than 700 yards.

As far as Baby Jesus goes, we aren't privvy to know how the Jets plan on using him, so any of your educated guesses, are just that - guesses. I think I'll keep my position that the Jets will finish better than all those white guys from Buffalo.

You signed an inconsistent DL in Mark Anderson. An injury prone DE whose last 10+ sack season was 2008. Re signed players you already had and then the draft.. those were the major moves? I mean your pass rush will be improved but thats really it

The Bills also brought in a new DC, Dave Wannstadt, and a new QB coach, David Lee. Maybe you've heard of them? The Bills also drafted a CB, an OT, and a WR in the first 3 round to hopefully improve their weak spots ... The only one they're hoping to start early is Glenn at LT. I never said that the Bills fixed all their problems or that they would do great this season. I simply said they attempted to fix their weaknesses -- and that's what the Jets didn't seem to do. They chose to go defense in 2 of their first 3 picks, and their 2nd WR is a project.

You're learned opinion thinks Mark Brunell was better than Tebow? I see.

Apparently, you don't realize that the Jets signed FA QB Drew Stafford to backup Sanchez just about a week before they traded for Tebow. Stafford demanded a trade and the Jets sent him to Indy. Stafford is a better passer than Tebow, and he would have been a much better backup to Sanchez than Tebow. Tebow is a locker room controversy waiting to happen. Remember the old saying, "when you have 2 starting QBs, you really have none"? Well, the Jets seem to be moving in that direction.

"Shonn Green simply isn't a starting caliber RB." Really? He finished 2011 13th in the NFL with more than 1,000 yards rushing. Let's see where the leading Jills RB was - Oh, there is old man Fred Jackson all the way down at number 20 with less than 1,000 yards rushing. How about that stellar Pats running game? There's Benjarvis Whatever down there at number 26 with less than 700 yards.

Righto. Greene ran 253 times for all of 1054 yards in 16 games. Fred Jackson ran 170 times for 934 yards in 10 games. It took Greene 83 more carries in 6 more games to get 120 more yards. ROTFMAO. Greene lacks foot speed, he doesn't break tackles, he doesn't cut back or go against the grain, and he doesn't make defenders miss. If the OL can make a big enough hole and keep it open long enough, Greene can make 3 or 4 yards, but not much more very often. For a run-first team, that's NOT good enough.

The Bills also brought in a new DC, Dave Wannstadt, and a new QB coach, David Lee. Maybe you've heard of them?

Exactly guys. And for what it's worth I've been trying to tell them this for months bro. The Bills got Dave Wannstadt, so maybe we should be rethinking our chances this season.

Apparently, you don't realize that the Jets signed FA QB Drew Stafford to backup Sanchez just about a week before they traded for Tebow. Stafford demanded a trade and the Jets sent him to Indy. Stafford is a better passer than Tebow, and he would have been a much better backup to Sanchez than Tebow. Tebow is a locker room controversy waiting to happen. Remember the old saying, "when you have 2 starting QBs, you really have none"? Well, the Jets seem to be moving in that direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Stafford

Apparently, you don't realize that the Jets signed FA QB Drew Stafford to backup Sanchez just about a week before they traded for Tebow.

Well you are correct, I didn't know that. But I still don't think Drew Stafford's as good a QB as Tebow, even on skates ...

This may be one of the most asinine posts ever written on this board. So basically what you did was list a whole bunch of positions you said the Jets needed to address, then listed all of the ways the Jets actually did address them, but then went on to let us all know why YOU say that those moves don't count. And that somehow qualifies as them not doing anything about it? You can't possibly be serious with that nonsense.

Pretty much. And I've been down this very same road with him before. I typically like outsiders perspective but come'on already. Every time he says the Jets ignored or didnt address their biggest holes, I give him 2-4 players that would say otherwise but its not enough. It one thing to say they didnt address them, its another to say they didnt address them with capable options. But outright saying the Jets didnt address their holes is flat out wrong.

Who's the Jets' FS again?

Forget that the Jets have the best 3 deep CB situation in the division, and probably in the league...

When trolling a Jets message board, you should know that Rex Ryan's defense doesnt differentiate between strong and free safeties - they basically have the same responsibilities. Having two "strong" safeties fits what Rex wants to do. If they need more of a center fielder in nickel or dime situations, they drafted Josh Bush and are working him in that spot.

When you expect a never-was (Schillens) or a rookie with 45 career receptions (Hill) to be an effective #2 WR, you are operating on wishful thinking. When you are depending upon a 6th or 7th round rookie to be an adequate starter at FS, you are downright delusional.

Being listed as #2 doesn't require the player to have the second most receptions on the team. The Jets have Homes and Keller who will both almost certainly finish above anyone listed at #2, plus Kerley and McKnight.

If Hill starts, he'll be asked to do exactly what he did in college: block in the running game and get open deep. I don't think the player or team could ask for a much easier transition. I know all about the supposed WR difficulties rookies can have, but by all accounts this is a solid kid and a quality talent. He's not the typical diva at the position. He's looked very good in camp so far, and he's the type that is working hard right now. If he catches 40 passes this year, he'll've had a successful year. I don't think that's wishful thinking at all. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Forget that the Jets have the best 3 deep CB situation in the division, and probably in the league...

When trolling a Jets message board, you should know that Rex Ryan's defense doesnt differentiate between strong and free safeties - they basically have the same responsibilities. Having two "strong" safeties fits what Rex wants to do. If they need more of a center fielder in nickel or dime situations, they drafted Josh Bush and are working him in that spot.

Being listed as #2 doesn't require the player to have the second most receptions on the team. The Jets have Homes and Keller who will both almost certainly finish above anyone listed at #2, plus Kerley and McKnight.

If Hill starts, he'll be asked to do exactly what he did in college: block in the running game and get open deep. I don't think the player or team could ask for a much easier transition. I know all about the supposed WR difficulties rookies can have, but by all accounts this is a solid kid and a quality talent. He's not the typical diva at the position. He's looked very good in camp so far, and he's the type that is working hard right now. If he catches 40 passes this year, he'll've had a successful year. I don't think that's wishful thinking at all. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Your very well reasoned reply will almost certainly be met with a littany of ambiguity debasing fact with hyperbole.

Whatever they're called, somebody's gotta cover the fast TEs like Gronkowski that are becoming popular throughout the league, and Landry and Bell struggle in pass coverage. Maybe Ryan comes up with some great scheme to solve that problem, but you can bet that OCs around the league will come up with schemes of their own.

Where did I say that a #2 WR has the second most catches on a team? I understand the concept.

The problem with Hill is that he is a project because the type of offense he played in college (the spread option) didn't really prepare him to play in the pros, so it's going to be harder for him to transition to the pro game than some other rookie WRs. Furthermore, NFL DBs won't respect him as a deep threat unless he proves he is a deep threat. Forty receptions isn't an unreasonable number for Hill, but a good portion of those need to be 20+ yards for DBs to start respecting him. He can't make a good number of downfield catches, however, unless Sanchez is willing to throw to him downfield, and I'm NOT sure that Sanchez will do that.

Whatever they're called, somebody's gotta cover the fast TEs like Gronkowski that are becoming popular throughout the league, and Landry and Bell struggle in pass coverage. Maybe Ryan comes up with some great scheme to solve that problem, but you can bet that OCs around the league will come up with schemes of their own.

The Jets have options for covering Gronkowski without employing the safeties at all. They're deep at CB, and could put one of them on him. They drafted a fast ILB in Demario Davis who covered TEs well in college, and he will probably do a lot of that here. NE is obviously a challenge for any defense, even a Dave Wannestedt coached super unit.

BTW, who are the other fast TEs the Jets are going to be asked to cover? Lol!

Bottom line, you're trying to make the FS position some sort of issue for the Jets, and it's just simply not one.

Where did I say that a #2 WR has the second most catches on a team? I understand the concept.

The problem with Hill is that he is a project because the type of offense he played in college (the spread option) didn't really prepare him to play in the pros, so it's going to be harder for him to transition to the pro game than some other rookie WRs. Furthermore, NFL DBs won't respect him as a deep threat unless he proves he is a deep threat. Forty receptions isn't an unreasonable number for Hill, but a good portion of those need to be 20+ yards for DBs to start respecting him. He can't make a good number of downfield catches, however, unless Sanchez is willing to throw to him downfield, and I'm NOT sure that Sanchez will do that.

I don't agree with either of your premises here.

Hill is physically gifted and a hard worker. His transition to the NFL will be to do the same exact thing he did in college: block in the running game and get open deep (seems I've said that before). If teams don't respect him, he will get open deep, and then they'll start to respect him.

Second, you keep repeating that Sanchez isn't willing to throw deep, and it's bullsh*t. He threw deep plenty when he had Edwards running downfield, he'll throw deep again when he has speed on the outside again - especially with an OC who wants the deep ball to be more of a staple of the offense than the previous OC ever did.

The Jets have options for covering Gronkowski without employing the safeties at all. They're deep at CB, and could put one of them on him. They drafted a fast ILB in Demario Davis who covered TEs well in college, and he will probably do a lot of that here. NE is obviously a challenge for any defense, even a Dave Wannestedt coached super unit.

BTW, who are the other fast TEs the Jets are going to be asked to cover? Lol!

Bottom line, you're trying to make the FS position some sort of issue for the Jets, and it's just simply not one.

I don't agree with either of your premises here.

Hill is physically gifted and a hard worker. His transition to the NFL will be to do the same exact thing he did in college: block in the running game and get open deep (seems I've said that before). If teams don't respect him, he will get open deep, and then they'll start to respect him.

Second, you keep repeating that Sanchez isn't willing to throw deep, and it's bullsh*t. He threw deep plenty when he had Edwards running downfield, he'll throw deep again when he has speed on the outside again - especially with an OC who wants the deep ball to be more of a staple of the offense than the previous OC ever did.

Well said and agree with all of this, but the bold had me seriously laughing, well played.

I know both you and I have said this numerous times this offseason, but I have absolutely no clue where this myth that Sanchez refuses to throw deep came from. The Jets had one season where their deep game struggled and it had a lot more to do with replacing their top deep threat with an unbelievably slow old man than anything (and was only compounded by Holmes' mess of a season). Sanchez's ability in the deep game was probably one of the very few things not even his biggest detractors would have criticized him for in his first two years.

An expression... that... you made up? Cause it is pretty stupid.

14.7 million results on Google when you google "I nearly spit on my computer".

That is not a me problem, that is a you problem.

Again, you can discount the improvements the Jets made and wax eloquent about all those draft picks the Pats made until the rubber meets the road. As far as Brady being better than Sanchez - that's a given. Brady's a first round HOFer. But he is also 35 and looks more and more brittle every year. One good tag from any D lineman can put a significant injury to a tall, aging quarterback. Therefore, you might want to bone up on the stats your backup is boasting cause you might be closer to needing them then you readily accept.

Trust me every member of Patriot Nation knows what happened the season after we lost the Superbowl in 2007. :wild:

While there is no doubt he could show age, he has not even hinted at it yet.

The Patriots are absolute dogsh*t outside of Tom Brady. Unfortunately for the Jets as long as he's around and they don't have a legit QB of their own, the Pats will likely be better, but the rest of their team is still crappola (with perhaps the exception of TE). It is what it is, and of course all that really matters is the bottom line, but lets not pretend they're leaps and bounds better than anyone, it's just a matter of fact that QB is really that important.

No doubt, but the Patriots are more than just Brady.

He is definitely the key, but there is a ton of offensive talent. Plus, Wilfork on D. ;)

14.7 million results on Google when you google "I nearly spit on my computer".

That is not a me problem, that is a you problem.

lol. Changing it to accommodate I see. Well done, Noob. Either that, or your comprehension skills are lacking. Then again, New England... surprised you can even walk upright.

No doubt, but the Patriots are more than just Brady.

He is definitely the key, but there is a ton of offensive talent. Plus, Wilfork on D. ;)

After Brady retires in three years the Pats are going to be a perennial third place finisher in the afc east. Brady is all that the Patriots are.

lol. Changing it to accommodate I see. Well done, Noob. Either that, or your comprehension skills are lacking. Then again, New England... surprised you can even walk upright.

Who has reading comprehension problems?

"I nearly spit on my computer"

"I just about spit water on computer"

Yeah, that is ssssooooo different. :face:

After Brady retires in three years the Pats are going to be a perennial third place finisher in the afc east. Brady is all that the Patriots are.

Maybe, but the good thing with the AFC East, it is not like the three also rans for the last decade have been separating from each other. With Ryan Mallett under center, the Patriots will be in the thick of things.

Maybe, but the good thing with the AFC East, it is not like the three also rans for the last decade have been separating from each other. With Ryan Mallett under center, the Patriots will be in the thick of things.

I don't get into these Jets v. Pats things very often, but I'm curious about your opinion on this:

Do you think Belichick will stay with the team after Brady retires?

My opinion is no. He's a guy who cares about NFL history, and I'm sure he cares about his place in it. I think he and Brady's legacies are tied together, and that his own legacy might take a serious blow if he stays on after Brady's gone. He's already 60, no shame in walking away in a couple years. Maybe move into the front office for a transition period a la Parcells, but get off the sidelines.

Who has reading comprehension problems?

"I nearly spit on my computer"

"I just about spit water on computer"

Yeah, that is ssssooooo different. :face:

I just about spit water on my CPU when reading this.

Amazing. I get ignorance is bliss. Carry on Chowderhead.

Archived