Maurice Jones-Drew

nj meadowlands

What's going to happen with this guy? Of all of the players this offseason who have felt dissed by their impending 2012 salary, MJD is one of the most interesting. Like Revis, MJD signed a frontloaded deal that has seen most of the money paid out to him already. And like the Jets, the Jags don't seem willing to do a damn thing about it.

But this one seems to be gaining more vitriol than the Revis, Rice, Forte, and even Wallace situations. I'm wondering if the Jags, as a rebuilding team, just decide to cut ties and trade the guy.

If they do, who can afford him, and what would it take to get an elite but 27-year old RB with a lot of miles who wants a bit more money? The Jets are strapped for cap room, so disappointingly I don't see us as a fit.

But since this is an internet message board, I'd love to trade Santonio Holmes and 2 for MJD, today. ;)

What's going to happen with this guy? Of all of the players this offseason who have felt dissed by their impending 2012 salary, MJD is one of the most interesting. Like Revis, MJD signed a frontloaded deal that has seen most of the money paid out to him already. And like the Jets, the Jags don't seem willing to do a damn thing about it.

But this one seems to be gaining more vitriol than the Revis, Rice, Forte, and even Wallace situations. I'm wondering if the Jags, as a rebuilding team, just decide to cut ties and trade the guy.

If they do, who can afford him, and what would it take to get an elite but 27-year old RB with a lot of miles who wants a bit more money? The Jets are strapped for cap room, so disappointingly I don't see us as a fit.

But since this is an internet message board, I'd love to trade Santonio Holmes and 2 for MJD, today. ;)

I would LOOOOOOVE to see them trade Holmes for MJD. Not that I think it's a realistic fantasy, but I would surely approve of such a move. Oh..... to dream.

I would LOOOOOOVE to see them trade Holmes for MJD. Not that I think it's a realistic fantasy, but I would surely approve of such a move. Oh..... to dream.

That would be awesome. I'm not even sure who our #1 receiver would be then, but I really don't care..that would be awesome.

That would be awesome. I'm not even sure who our #1 receiver would be then, but I really don't care..that would be awesome.

Schillens, Kerley, Hill, Keller and Turner would be fine by me. Especially with MJD, Green and Mcnight in the backfield. Jeeeeeeesh!!!

I actually agree with the Jags handling of this player.

He's great but his best football is behind him. Not smart to pay 27 year old RBs with that much mileage on the odometer (about 1500 career carries).

And I understand why he is doing what he is doing.

They will literally run him into the ground because he is all they have and when he is a FA in two years low ball him because he will be 29 with another 700 touches.

He should try to squeeze some money out of them now.

The Jags' GM, an idiot named Gene Smith, is a big character guy so he'd never trade for someone like Holmes - a guy who smokes weed and speaks his mind.

If Jones-Drew were to get traded it would be for picks. The Jags blew their best chance to maximize his value, which would have been to trade him prior to the draft, because Gene Smith is such a schmuck.

I actually agree with the Jags handling of this player.

He's great but his best football is behind him. Not smart to pay 27 year old RBs with that much mileage on the odometer (about 1500 career carries).

And I understand why he is doing what he is doing.

They will literally run him into the ground because he is all they have and when he is a FA in two years low ball him because he will be 29 with another 700 touches.

He should try to squeeze some money out of them now.

Thats the point that people dont understand because they just look at them as just "players". MJD has outplayed that contract. Some would disagree but here are the facts. MJD is not just one of the top 3 in rushing every year but, which is an insane stat, MJD account for about 50% of the TOTAL offensive production for the Jags. Thats ridiculous.

You dont "handle a player" with his amount of production like that. Either pay him or stop trying to suck everything out of him before you trash him.

Situations like this is why I never get mad at what Revis does. This sh_t is a business people.

think the problem is that jags probably agree with mjd on what he's worth but simply don't want to pay it during rebuilding period - what's the point of having an elite RB when you're not going to make the playoffs anyway. why they didn't/don't trade him is the part that doesn't make sense.

While we dont hve the money for a Jones Drew the guy would make us an instant SB contender and take that much more pressure off of Mark Sanchez and the WR's . So would picks be worth it if we could get him signed somehow ? Yep they would,,,,,, SB windows dont stay open too long and we do have a need at RB being a ground and pound Football team. Drew would be a good fit here hes a smart guy and we certainly would not have to run him into the ground then unleash him full force during the playoffs.

While we dont hve the money for a Jones Drew the guy would make us an instant SB contender and take that much more pressure off of Mark Sanchez and the WR's . So would picks be worth it if we could get him signed somehow ? Yep they would,,,,,, SB windows dont stay open too long and we do have a need at RB being a ground and pound Football team. Drew would be a good fit here hes a smart guy and we certainly would not have to run him into the ground then unleash him full force during the playoffs.

Sanchez playing up to his draft slot, cost for trading up to said draft slot, and his cap cost is what makes the Jets an instant superbowl contender. Enough with the planets needing to be aligned and everyone else needing to be awesome to "take pressure off" Sanchez so he's not lousy. We have a need at QB every bit as much as we have a need at RB.

Sanchez playing up to his draft slot, cost for trading up to said draft slot, and his cap cost is what makes the Jets an instant superbowl contender. Enough with the planets needing to be aligned and everyone else needing to be awesome to "take pressure off" Sanchez so he's not lousy. We have a need at QB every bit as much as we have a need at RB.

I think we're looking for realistic ways to contend this year

think the problem is that jags probably agree with mjd on what he's worth but simply don't want to pay it during rebuilding period - what's the point of having an elite RB when you're not going to make the playoffs anyway. why they didn't/don't trade him is the part that doesn't make sense.

I agree, which is why you trade him. If you're in a rebuilding period, fine. Im not against a team starting from scratch, but when you have a guy that you have produce 50% of your total offense and he wants to be paid then if you keep him you must pay him. You cannot expect anyone to understand that you're in a rebuilding phase so you dont see the point of signing him to such a large contract, yet you want to keep him for his production. It doesnt work like that. If they're in a rebuilding phase they could certainly get at minimum a 1st rounder for this guy at 27 years old. It would in fact make sense for them to do so if they're trying to rebuild.

Its going to take them a few years to get this right if thats the case and by that time Drew will be about 30 and you could have gotten a draft pick out of him today. Let the guy leave and get his money somewhere else.

I agree, which is why you trade him. If you're in a rebuilding period, fine. Im not against a team starting from scratch, but when you have a guy that you have produce 50% of your total offense and he wants to be paid then if you keep him you must pay him. You cannot expect anyone to understand that you're in a rebuilding phase so you dont see the point of signing him to such a large contract, yet you want to keep him for his production. It doesnt work like that. If they're in a rebuilding phase they could certainly get at minimum a 1st rounder for this guy at 27 years old. It would in fact make sense for them to do so if they're trying to rebuild.

Its going to take them a few years to get this right if thats the case and by that time Drew will be about 30 and you could have gotten a draft pick out of him today. Let the guy leave and get his money somewhere else.

I don't know that they would necessarily get a first rounder for him. They certainly wouldn't get a high one. I don't think his age is an issue so much as the nearly-2000 touches (and coming off the heaviest workload - 390 touches - of his career) plus the need for a new front-loaded contract that pays him 8 figures per season. With the new slotting of draft pick money those first round picks have become far more valuable than in years past: much cheaper and no extended holdouts.

Yeah because a guy like Marshall Faulk had no impact on the Rams or a young Kurt Warner. Without Faulk that year the Kurt Warner story never happens and I have heard him say as much on NFL network.

I can't think of many SB teams who did not have good to great RB's. Only teams that come to mind are the Packers (2 years ago)) Colts( the year they won) and the recent Patriots who have not been able to win the big one because they really have nothing at the position. Bet Belichick would have loved to have some kind of a running game when his O-line could not protect his QB from the Giants rush and I bet the same goes for the Packers. Both teams could have pushed the Giants smaller DL around if they could only run the football but they couldnt.

Just because the NFL is passing the ball more dont lose sight of the importance of a running game and a BALANCED offense. If somethings not working in a playoff game or SB you better be able to adapt or no matter what your record is for putting up 9 million yards passing you will eventually lose if you are one dimentional.

Best balanced team I see out there this year is the 49er's good luck stopiing that team with the defense and every hole now filled on offense and a QB who makes little to no mistakes. I think they stomp the NFC this year and win a SB. And even though they have Gore and Hunter they still went and got Jacobs adding yet another dimention to the running game.

I don't know that they would necessarily get a first rounder for him. They certainly wouldn't get a high one. I don't think his age is an issue so much as the nearly-2000 touches (and coming off the heaviest workload - 390 touches - of his career) plus the need for a new front-loaded contract that pays him 8 figures per season. With the new slotting of draft pick money those first round picks have become far more valuable than in years past: much cheaper and no extended holdouts.

Very good points here. Even so, you're getting a very high draft pick for a guy that you got nearly 2000 touches from (I believe they can pull a 1st or high 2nd rounder right now for MJD). Thats not a bad situation for the Jags and it would be a good situation for the team getting him because MJD seems to be able to play at that level and stay healthy. Not saying that the next team would use him so much, I highly doubt that, but this is a guy that can make plays, catch the ball and you can still shave about 100+ touches from what he's done last year and he would still be very productive for a team that may have other options on offense like WR's TE's etc. You put MJD with a good QB and some weapons on the outside,... beast.

I can't think of many SB teams who did not have good to great RB's. Only teams that come to mind are the Packers (2 years ago)) Colts( the year they won) and the recent Patriots who have not been able to win the big one because they really have nothing at the position. Bet Belichick would have loved to have some kind of a running game when his O-line could not protect his QB from the Giants rush and I bet the same goes for the Packers. Both teams could have pushed the Giants smaller DL around if they could only run the football but they couldnt.

Just because the NFL is passing the ball more dont lose sight of the importance of a running game and a BALANCED offense. If somethings not working in a playoff game or SB you better be able to adapt or no matter what your record is for putting up 9 million yards passing you will eventually lose if you are one dimentional.

Last ten SB winners and their respective RB situation:

Tampa - Pittman/Alstott

Pats - Faulk/Committee

Pats - Dillon

Steelers - Bettis/Parker/Staley

Colts - Addai/Rhodes

Giants - Jacobs/Bradshaw

Steelers - Parker/Moore

Saints - Thomas/Bush

Packers - Jackson/Starks

Giants - Bradshaw/Jacobs

"Good to great RBs" from this group:

Alstott (although a FB, was huge for that team)

Dillon

Bettis

Thomas

Bradshaw

Addai was a rookie and should not count in this assessment, as he was not good to great yet and Rhodes had the better SB.

The Jets current committee could stand up against most of these teams IMO. It's just the way football works now. So much passing and zone blocking these days, the true #1 RBs are not necessary and can be a risk, as injury becomes huge.

Yeah because a guy like Marshall Faulk had no impact on the Rams or a young Kurt Warner. Without Faulk that year the Kurt Warner story never happens and I have heard him say as much on NFL network.

Best balanced team I see out there this year is the 49er's good luck stopiing that team with the defense and every hole now filled on offense and a QB who makes little to no mistakes. I think they stomp the NFC this year and win a SB. And even though they have Gore and Hunter they still went and got Jacobs adding yet another dimention to the running game.

What are you talking about?

Antowain Smith - twice!

Michael Pittman

Dominic Rhodes + Joseph Addai

Thomas Jones + Cedric Benson

Pierre Thomas + Reggie Bush + Mike Bell

Brandon Jacobs + Ahmad Bradshaw (the 2011 versions)

Brandon Jackson + James Starks

Edgerrin James (age 30) + Tim Hightower

Any of these RB's or RB combos - on 9 superbowl teams from 2001-2011 - and people would still be blaming the mediocre RB position as an excuse for Sanchez's sucking. There isn't a great or nearly-great RB in this whole lot. And incidentally, these ho-hum RB's had a hell of a lot better QB play carrying them than Mark Sanchez gives (except Chicago, which was about a push with Rex Grossman).

To say nothing of the notion that Sanchez has a long long long long long way to go before he deserves to get any comparisons whatsoever to Kurt Warner.

Very good points here. Even so, you're getting a very high draft pick for a guy that you got nearly 2000 touches from (I believe they can pull a 1st or high 2nd rounder right now for MJD). Thats not a bad situation for the Jags and it would be a good situation for the team getting him because MJD seems to be able to play at that level and stay healthy. Not saying that the next team would use him so much, I highly doubt that, but this is a guy that can make plays, catch the ball and you can still shave about 100+ touches from what he's done last year and he would still be very productive for a team that may have other options on offense like WR's TE's etc. You put MJD with a good QB and some weapons on the outside,... beast.

I agree the Jags should look into it.

Well we do have Tebow. I mean, uh...

ah crap.

I wanna save Jets-T some time

That TT Chump RB/QB only has 2,835 Passing Yds with 20 TD's to 9 Ints with a 15.3 yds/comp average.

Only a 2.2 to 1 TD to Int Ratio (better than HoF Peyton's ratio).

Only a 77.7 NFL Passer Efficiency Rating.

Only a 9-7 W/L record, including a Playoff win.

Only a 12 inch cock

An Adonis body

Doing all that for a team that was 4-14 and had dumped their Top 2 Veteran 2010 WR's before starting Tebow

in game 6 of 2011.

That's 3 starts (14-16 in 2010) with 11 more starts (6-16 in 2011) + 2 Playoff starts, with a lockout offseason

sandwiched between.

But Hell, don't let the actual FACTS get in the way of a good DISS on another Jet's player.

Tebow already has 33 TD's to just 15 Turnovers with a 9-7 W/L record for an otherwise 4-14 team.

He has only 9 Ints on 400 pass attempts, that's 1 Int per 44.4 throws.

He also only had 6 LPF's on 580 total plays, that's only 1 lost poss. fumble per 96.5 plays.

Last ten SB winners and their respective RB situation:

Tampa - Pittman/Alstott

Pats - Faulk/Committee

Pats - Dillon

Steelers - Bettis/Parker/Staley

Colts - Addai/Rhodes

Giants - Jacobs/Bradshaw

Steelers - Parker/Moore

Saints - Thomas/Bush

Packers - Jackson/Starks

Giants - Bradshaw/Jacobs

"Good to great RBs" from this group:

Alstott (although a FB, was huge for that team)

Dillon

Bettis

Thomas

Bradshaw

Addai was a rookie and should not count in this assessment, as he was not good to great yet and Rhodes had the better SB.

The Jets current committee could stand up against most of these teams IMO. It's just the way football works now. So much passing and zone blocking these days, the true #1 RBs are not necessary and can be a risk, as injury becomes huge.

thanks for posting that ryno. Im not sure the Jets current commitee can stand up to "most "of that and to be honest I feel a team that wants to focus on the running game or the "backfield" how ever you want to put it we are a bit lacking. We finally addressed the WR position after all the bandaids we tried for years so now maybe its time to add a real threat at RB . either way we cant afford a Jones Drew but if we could I think he would fit this team perfectly and there would be no need to run the guy into the ground like the Jaguars did

What are you talking about?

Antowain Smith - twice!

Michael Pittman

Dominic Rhodes + Joseph Addai

Thomas Jones + Cedric Benson

Pierre Thomas + Reggie Bush + Mike Bell

Brandon Jacobs + Ahmad Bradshaw (the 2011 versions)

Brandon Jackson + James Starks

Edgerrin James (age 30) + Tim Hightower

Any of these RB's or RB combos - on 9 superbowl teams from 2001-2011 - and people would still be blaming the mediocre RB position as an excuse for Sanchez's sucking. There isn't a great or nearly-great RB in this whole lot. And incidentally, these ho-hum RB's had a hell of a lot better QB play carrying them than Mark Sanchez gives (except Chicago, which was about a push with Rex Grossman).

To say nothing of the notion that Sanchez has a long long long long long way to go before he deserves to get any comparisons whatsoever to Kurt Warner.

Sperm I think the biggest obstical for Sanchez was his previous coach. I also think we are going to see a miuch different QB going forward. For Him its all about limiting the turnovers and meshing well with his new teammates and I thin he will be fine as they all adjust to the new offense. Sorry but IMO Brian Shott was a complete Idiot and its a really good thing we finally got him the hell out of here.

I agree the Jags should look into it.

I think it would be a good idea as well. If they're truly rebuilding and Drew is 27, why not get someone that can add to the future (even drafting another runningback) instead of having him collect another monster season, the Jags are in last place and you'll have this exact situation next year if you dont extend him this year with him being a year older and adding another 300+ touches.

Drew is great, but he's not taking this team to the playoffs by himself and no why in hell is he taking them the superbowl. And if for some fluke reason they do make the playoffs, thats just adding more touches for this guy. Drew doing what he's done at 27 right now is the perfect opportunity to part ways, get something in return for the future while allowing this guy to get paid. The way the league are treating RB's is crazy.

Sperm I think the biggest obstical for Sanchez was his previous coach. I also think we are going to see a miuch different QB going forward. For Him its all about limiting the turnovers and meshing well with his new teammates and I thin he will be fine as they all adjust to the new offense. Sorry but IMO Brian Shott was a complete Idiot and its a really good thing we finally got him the hell out of here.

I agree. Sanchez is our version of Alex Smith. I think that Sanchez is a better overall talent, but they resemble imo. Alex Smith had a coach/coordinator that took advantage of what he could do and these guys were one stupid play away from going to the SB. To add to that they added alot of value to the offensive side of the ball while imo maintaining possibly the best defense in the league.

the 9ers are extremely dangerous right now, and no one in their right might (me included) would have thought that you could make such a statement with Alex Smith as their QB. Mark Sanchez will have his best season simply by addition by subtraction (the release of Schotty). If Sparano can put Sanchez in position to succeed, as seen during those times Sanchez responds very well. If this is the case and Sparano eliminates pick 6's and stupid playcalls that produce 3 and outs we could easily see the Jets back in the AFCCG and possibily winning it.

Outside of Denver, Pitt , Bal and the Pats, all of the talent is in the NFC. The Jets could very well be superbowl bound.

Archived