Matt Williamson says Jets 8-8 at best

stoicsentry

Catching up on the ESPN NFL today podcast and Matt Williamson put the Jets in the bottom 8 in the league, saying they'll go "8-8 at best." This is now the 2nd 'expert' that I'm aware of to say that phrase about the Jets.

What exactly are they basing this on?

-Under Ryan, the Jets are 28-20 in the regular season and 4-2 in the playoffs for a total of 32-22.

-They have not had a losing season in these 3 years.

-They lost no major players in free agency

Could they be 8-8 or worse? Possibly. But how can you possibly think that's their ceiling?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, I don't think a lot of media/analysts ever bought into Rex as a big-time coach, thinking that once his defensive scheme is figured out the whole program would collapse. Another part of it is that so many of them were put off by Rex's guarantees and general bloviating that they can't wait to write the "Rex was a buffoon who mocked the establishment and got rolled" story. Thirdly, the Jets roster is largely filled with guys that are difficult to root for. Even Tebow is a lightning rod for fan hatred, and he might be the most perfect human ever.

They didn't lose anyone major in free agency, sure. But what major upgrades did they make on glaring holes? RT isn't in great shape, safety is a huge concern, WR is filled with question marks, and the ground and pound philosophy is against the grain of the current state of the NFL. Plus they invited the circus known as Tebow to travel with them to every city. It could spell disaster. I hope not, but there are valid reasons not to be any more optimistic than last season.

IMO, I don't think a lot of media/analysts ever bought into Rex as a big-time coach, thinking that once his defensive scheme is figured out the whole program would collapse. Another part of it is that so many of them were put off by Rex's guarantees and general bloviating that they can't wait to write the "Rex was a buffoon who mocked the establishment and got rolled" story. Thirdly, the Jets roster is largely filled with guys that are difficult to root for. Even Tebow is a lightning rod for fan hatred, and he might be the most perfect human ever.

I agree with this. Rex is everything that the "establishment" (good choice of words by the way) hates to see do well, but loves to kick when he is down. I can recall listening to the NFL channel on my Sirius radio during the playoff runs we had in both 09 and 10. Every single week , and on most shows, they would talk about how Rex would get out coached and how Sanchez was a fraud etc. This happened every single week. I even heard one guy say that Rex's mentor Marvin Lewis would show Rex exactly how to coach a real football team. LOL

Then after the Jets would win, they would make excuses.

It happened both seasons. What took place in 11 made so many people happy. There may have never been a more polarizing happening in NFL history as far as the blood lust of the media goes. It was mob mentality and they liked it. What we are seeing now is the continuation of that. They are all hoping Rex and the Jets fail. but not only fail. They want Chants of TEBOW in the crowd and will go to any lengths to get it. They want the best player (revis) to be reminded about his contract every 5 minutes. They want Coples to be a lazy slouch. They want Green to suck carrying the load, Holmes to explode on Sanchez, Tebow, Sparano and Rex. It goes on and on and on.

Brace yourselves. This is going to be the worst year for media coverage in Jets history. Last season was the right hook that staggered the younger challenger to the championship belt. Expect the flurry of blows to try and take us out.

They didn't lose anyone major in free agency, sure. But what major upgrades did they make on glaring holes? RT isn't in great shape, safety is a huge concern, WR is filled with question marks, and the ground and pound philosophy is against the grain of the current state of the NFL. Plus they invited the circus known as Tebow to travel with them to every city. It could spell disaster. I hope not, but there are valid reasons not to be any more optimistic than last season.

Not necessarily true. They got rid of Schott and changed the entire moronic offensive philosophy. Got Rid of old man trouble maker Plaxico Burress (and Mason) and replaced him with Hill (question mark I know) who stressed blocking downfield and catching bombs in college, let go of old man LT and replaced him with a younger Mcnight who Showed a lot of promise last season. Added WR coach who brought over the player he wanted in Schillens.

There are still concerns yes, but to say they haven't upgraded is a little off base IMO. Addition by subtraction is a very real thing.

8-8 7-9 are my feeling for this season. Of course I hope I'm wrong and the jets win it all or at least a deep playoff run.

It's funny, but I don't feel like this at all. I think we will either be VERY good or we will implode. I am hoping that the D is beastly again and we are in every game. That will mean we will win with a mediocre O or the team will fracture and collapse as the D gets mad about carrying the O and Holmes freaks out. I hate Tebow as a QB, but I think we probably do 7-9 or better easily with him running the wishbone and this D.

Thirdly, the Jets roster is largely filled with guys that are difficult to root for. Even Tebow is a lightning rod for fan hatred, and he might be the most perfect human ever.

I was with you until this. Every roster has its unlikable characters. For example, Tom Brady is a composite character of every over privileged douche that ever sneered his way through high school. Big Ben, Mike Vick, etc. The Jets just catch more flak for it because: 1. It's New York. 2. Like you mentioned, Rex has a big fat mouth and the media wants to see him fail so they can all pile on to the same narrative about hubris and blah blah blah

I was with you until this. Every roster has its unlikable characters. For example, Tom Brady is a composite character of every over privileged douche that ever sneered his way through high school. Big Ben, Mike Vick, etc. The Jets just catch more flak for it because: 1. It's New York. 2. Like you mentioned, Rex has a big fat mouth and the media wants to see him fail so they can all pile on to the same narrative about hubris and blah blah blah

I'd rather be a lightning rod than a lawn chair.

Being "those ****ing Jets" is wayyy better than "oh those poor Jets haha" any day of the week.

It's funny, but I don't feel like this at all. I think we will either be VERY good or we will implode. I am hoping that the D is beastly again and we are in every game. That will mean we will win with a mediocre O or the team will fracture and collapse as the D gets mad about carrying the O and Holmes freaks out. I hate Tebow as a QB, but I think we probably do 7-9 or better easily with him running the wishbone and this D.

I definitely think the defense is going to help win some games but outside of revis they are still suspect in my eyes. I have no faith in this offense, I think its going to be as predictable as the phins offense was under sparano. A few wrinkles here and there but nothing explosive the defense will have to carry this team once again. I'm more interested to see how these rookies workout, wasn't to happy with the draft but I hope these guys pan out, especially couples.

I'd rather be a lightning rod than a lawn chair.

Being "those ****ing Jets" is wayyy better than "oh those poor Jets haha" any day of the week.

Totally agree. I don't think that the Jets are really hated anyway. Other than the other AFCE teams and maybe some uptight Giants fans I think people are either indifferent or entertained by the shenanigans.

The establishment underestimates Ryan. Despite the nonsense this guy can coach. Whether he has a QB that can do the job is really the only question. And Ryan, whatever he says publicly, know that better than anyone. Which is why Tebow is here and Schottemheimer is not.

As far as all this "he lost the locker room" stuff, again if they hold on vs. the Broncos(Jim Leonhard gets that safety?) or drive the field even once vs. the Jints the Jets would've been a playoff team. If anyone can find me the losing team with good chemistry, it will be a first.Also sportswriters pretend in the afterglow of success good teams were predestined by chemistry to win. it's crap both ways. And recall as late as Thanksgiving Tom Coughlin had "lost the lockerroom" was going to be out of a job at season's end. And that might have happened if Sanchez drove the field or somebody tackles Victor Cruz.

I love how a team that was 8-5 and with halfway decent QB play down the stretch was headed for 3 straight years in the playoffs is now "at best 8-8".

Exactly why again? Because they lost Plaxico Burress and LT??? Because Tim Tebow is on the team?

The Jets are at worst, 8-8 and at best a 12 win team. If Mark Sanchez turns the corner, there is no reason the Jets cant have another deep playoff run.

This is far from exclusive just to predictions about the Jets, but for any person to predict a team have the same exact record as the prior year "at best" is one of the dumbest ****ing things sports analysts ever say. The only possible justification for that would possibly be the loss of a starting QB or a multitude of top flight starters at other positions, and even then, all it takes is someone to break out, a few lucky bounces or an easy schedule for that to be completely wrong anyway.

It's all on Sanchez. This is his make or break year. He has all the pressures of these less than mediocre predictions coming out about the team, as well as the pressure of having to deal with the NFL's most famous virgin backing him up. This is the year he needs to show mental toughness. This is the year he needs to grow up.

If he can do it, the Jets will go far. This defense is going to be very good. The special teams will be very good.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Good point.

It's all on Sanchez. This is his make or break year. He has all the pressures of these less than mediocre predictions coming out about the team, as well as the pressure of having to deal with the NFL's most famous virgin backing him up. This is the year he needs to show mental toughness. This is the year he needs to grow up.

If he can do it, the Jets will go far. This defense is going to be very good. The special teams will be very good.

Its really no different than it was in 2011. Jets were SB contenders again, assuming Sanchez turned the corner. And then, even with a his inconsistency, the Jets were primed for the playoffs going into the 4th quarter of the season sitting at 8-5. Then Sanchez turned into pure sh*t even worse than before and the season went into the sh*tter.

I really dont get too wrapped up in this type of sh*t because all these media heads are morons and almost 95% of their predictions are wrong, but I dont get how you go from SB aspirations, have a disappointing season at 8-8, get better during the offseason and then a year later 8-8 is your ceiling. Its pretty illogical.

I really dont get too wrapped up in this type of sh*t because all these media heads are morons and almost 95% of their predictions are wrong, but I dont get how you go from SB aspirations, have a disappointing season at 8-8, get better during the offseason and then a year later 8-8 is your ceiling. Its pretty illogical.

I don't get it, either. Wayne Hunter sucks, so the Jets can't win more than 8 games.

The Jets lost Plaxico and LT, who were really both contributors to the crappy locker room more than they were contributors on the field last year. Where else have the Jets even potentially downgraded from 2011?

I don't get it, either. Wayne Hunter sucks, so the Jets can't win more than 8 games.

The Jets lost Plaxico and LT, who were really both contributors to the crappy locker room more than they were contributors on the field last year. Where else have the Jets even potentially downgraded from 2011?

They've replaced Plax and LT with total unknowns. They want to G&P with a sh*tty back.

Basically, from what I've gathered its, Hunter sucks, Greene isnt a superstar and ground and pound means the Jets cant win more than 8 games.

They've replaced Plax and LT with total unknowns. They want to G&P with a sh*tty back.

Yeah. I'm thinking that between them, Hill and Schilens should be able to make up Plaxico's 45 catches and 600 yards, and that McKnight should be able to pick up the slack on LT's impressive 20 rushing yards a game from last season.

Crazy, I know.

Basically, from what I've gathered its, Hunter sucks, Greene isnt a superstar and ground and pound means the Jets cant win more than 8 games.

Or, winning a Super Bowl in recent years requires a great QB and a great pass rush, neither of which the Jets have.

Yeah. I'm thinking that between them, Hill and Schilens should be able to make up Plaxico's 45 catches and 600 yards, and that McKnight should be able to pick up the slack on LT's impressive 20 rushing yards a game from last season.

Crazy, I know.

Last years offense was horrendous. So if that's the bar...yeah...not good.

If the Jets can improve their scoring by 2 pts a game, they will be a top 5 scoring offense. Should be plenty of enough points for the defense to win games.

Horrendous = 13th in the league in scoring

Got it.

We'll see what happens with the ol' ground & pound this year. I think the Jets will go back to more of the committee approach at RB than they had last year. If Tebow gets 5 carries a game, he'll have more carries than LT had last year. I expect McKnight to have more than that, and that one of Powell or Ganaway will chime in with 30 or so carries, too. I also expect a lot more shots downfield with the new coordinator and added speed at WR keeping defenses honest.

Archived