Giants haven't scored a TD in 2 quarters of regular season football. Discuss.

Integrity28

Tongue-in-cheek thread title, but actually what I wanted to discuss is the Dallas D. Looks pretty good so far, amazing what having a Demarcus Ware plus to capable corners can do in a Ryan defense eh?

Really, really looking forward to seeing Coples and Maybin unleashed in regular season play.

So.... not sure why the fantasy experts didn't predict Ogletree to basically to pick up where Laurent Robinson left off. All the coverage tied up with Austin, Dez and Witten, leaves nothing but holes in the coverage for even an average WR to exploit. Robinson cashed in on it. I highly doubt he ever comes close to his 2011 stats in Jax.

Tongue-in-cheek thread title, but actually what I wanted to discuss is the Dallas D. Looks pretty good so far, amazing what having a Demarcus Ware plus to capable corners can do in a Ryan defense eh?

Really, really looking forward to seeing Coples and Maybin unleashed in regular season play.

Dallas looks solid on both sides of the ball. I like the way Murray runs. Giants offense looks mediocre and D looks similar to last year, sh*tty. Cruz has the dropsies. Giants DL is getting toyed with by Romo and are gassed and they have no corners.

Just goes to show you, its all about getting hot at the right time. Thats what the NFL is now. Have a team good enough with a QB and hope you're hot getting into the playoffs.

Dallas looks solid on both sides of the ball. I like the way Murray runs. Giants offense looks mediocre and D looks similar to last year, sh*tty. Cruz has the dropsies. Giants DL is getting toyed with by Romo and are gassed and they have no corners.

Just goes to show you, its all about getting hot at the right time. Thats what the NFL is now. Have a team good enough with a QB and hope you're hot getting into the playoffs.

Yup.

Plus, Chaz Schillens.

It's especially remarkable when you consider the Giants run superior root trees.

So.... not sure why the fantasy experts didn't predict Ogletree to basically to pick up where Laurent Robinson left off. All the coverage tied up with Austin, Dez and Witten, leaves nothing but holes in the coverage for even an average WR to exploit. Robinson cashed in on it. I highly doubt he ever comes close to his 2011 stats in Jax.

this is spot on. Amazing what loads of talent can do.

Why do you need a QB? The Broncos, 49ers, Texans and to a lesser extent Bengals, Falcons and Ravens had no QB in the playoffs.

If these replacement have some mandate to not call holding, the Jets are super-****ed.

Why are you such a miserable ****? Why will that hurt the Jets more than other teams? Our Oline can't pass block. Letting them hold will help us immensely. OTOH, having other teams hold our Dline will not be that big a deal because those guys are space eaters that are going to be taking up bodies. We get most of our pressure from overload and delay blitzes where guys are running free and can't be held. I say that it will be a tremendous help to us. So screw you Debbie Downer!

And what do they have to show for it?

Refresh my memory of the QB's who actually made the SB while you are at it...

Oooh. Eli Manning is infallible! I honestly believe that a sh*tty QB will win one of the next two super bowls. Of course, after that sh*tty QB wins the super bowl he will suddenly be Hall of Fame caliber.

Oooh. Eli Manning is infallible! I honestly believe that a sh*tty QB will win one of the next two super bowls. Of course, after that sh*tty QB wins the super bowl he will suddenly be Hall of Fame caliber.

Yeah, throwing for 5k in a season is no big deal. Definitely doesnt mean your good at, you know, throwing the Football. And he definitely wasnt impressive in the post season. No no no. You know, those 9 TD's, 1 INT, 68%, 1,200yrds - no biggie playing that well when it matters most.

And what you honesty believe, doesnt mean sh*t. A sh*tty QB hasnt won a SB since Brad Johnson. So if it does happen, it will be an exception to the norm that will have more to do with luck than some agenda your pushing that you dont need a QB to win in the NFL.

Oooh. Eli Manning is infallible! I honestly believe that a sh*tty QB will win one of the next two super bowls.

Well until one does the rest of us will continue to assume you need an elite QB to get there.

I mean, seriously. Last year, the Packers went 15-1 with a sh*tty defense and running game. The Pats got to the Super Bowl with a sh*tty running game and even sh*ttier defense. The Giants won it despite having no running game and going 9-7 because they had the elite QB PLUS a highly effective pass rush, both of whom got incredibly hot at the right time just like in 2007.

Its a QB league more than ever. Not sure what else needs to be said.

Yeah, throwing for 5k in a season is no big deal. Definitely doesnt mean your good at, you know, throwing the Football. And he definitely wasnt impressive in the post season. No no no. You know, those 9 TD's, 1 INT, 68%, 1,200yrds - no biggie playing that well when it matters most.

And what you honesty believe, doesnt mean sh*t. A sh*tty QB hasnt won a SB since Brad Johnson. So if it does happen, it will be an exception to the norm that will have more to do with luck than some agenda your pushing that you dont need a QB to win in the NFL.

I agree that what I believe doesn't mean sh*t. However, my belief is based on the simple fact that it has more to do with luck for an elite QB to get there as well. Rodgers was huge all year, but the Giants go hot and he couldn't do enough to win. Eli got there because Ginn was hurt and his backup was spraying the ball all over the field giving the Giants a ridiculous number of opportunities and a chance to barely win in OT. Brady got there because Lee Evans, a reliable receiver for years spit up an easy catch for the win and a pro bowl kicker missed an easy 30 yard field goal that would have meant OT. LUCK and timing are huge. A good to great QB helps to make your own luck, but if anybody was calling Flacco or Smith great at that point?

I agree that what I believe doesn't mean sh*t. However, my belief is based on the simple fact that it has more to do with luck for an elite QB to get there as well. Rodgers was huge all year, but the Giants go hot and he couldn't do enough to win. Eli got there because Ginn was hurt and his backup was spraying the ball all over the field giving the Giants a ridiculous number of opportunities and a chance to barely win in OT. Brady got there because Lee Evans, a reliable receiver for years spit up an easy catch for the win and a pro bowl kicker missed an easy 30 yard field goal that would have meant OT. LUCK and timing are huge. A good to great QB helps to make your own luck, but if anybody was calling Flacco or Smith great at that point?

Sure. You can narrow it down to one play. But it's never one play. Had either Flacco or Smith played well during the game, neither would have been in the position they were in.

It's not about one play or often even one game.

Sure. You can narrow it down to one play. But it's never one play. Had either Flacco or Smith played well during the game, neither would have been in the position they were in.

Yeah, but did Rogers play well? Did Rivers? Cutler? Brees? Those guys didn't win either. And it wasn't "one play". The Giants game it took 3 fumbles by the same guy. The Ravens took a drop AND a missed chippy. I agree the QB makes it easier, but luck is luck and it takes a ton of luck "elite" QB or not.

Yeah, but did Rogers play well? Did Rivers? Cutler? Brees? Those guys didn't win either. And it wasn't "one play". The Giants game it took 3 fumbles by the same guy. The Ravens took a drop AND a missed chippy. I agree the QB makes it easier, but luck is luck and it takes a ton of luck "elite" QB or not.

Is some luck required to get to a Super Bowl? Of course.

But you're arguing that its MORE about luck than elite QB play? Come on. If the Niners had made the Super Bowl last year despite going 1 for 13 on 3rd downs, THAT would have been luck. When the Saints-Niners Divisional game came down to the wire despite 5 New Orleans turnovers, THAT showed how lucky San Fran got to make it to the NFC Title game.

Every Super Bowl over the last 5 years has contained a pair of QB's who could be considered at the top of their craft. That doesn't happen by chance.

Yeah, but did Rogers play well? Did Rivers? Cutler? Brees? Those guys didn't win either.

Well then luck sorted out WHICH elite QB's made it, because they obviously can't all get there in a given year. Luck isn't the primary factor on who makes it, its just ONE relatively small factor.

Yeah, but what about defense? What about special teams? What about running games? Those things matter too. Ray Rice and that defense is a huge reason why Flacco was there to be lucked out of it vs. the Pats. That D, Gore and Davis are the reason that a piece of garbage like Smith wase there to have a 2nd string punt returner fumble the game away to the Giants. All these teams are flawed. Parity rules. Look at the Seahawks knocking off the Saints a few years ago. Sure the QB plays a big part, he has the ball in his hands more than anybody, but I don't see why you have to throw in the towel if you admit that Sanchez and/or Tebow aren't Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. Neither are Flacco or Smith. Or Roethlisberger or Eli for that matter, but those teams are still right there.

Yeah, but what about defense? What about special teams? What about running games? Those things matter too. Ray Rice and that defense is a huge reason why Flacco was there to be lucked out of it vs. the Pats. That D, Gore and Davis are the reason that a piece of garbage like Smith wase there to have a 2nd string punt returner fumble the game away to the Giants. All these teams are flawed. Parity rules. Look at the Seahawks knocking off the Saints a few years ago. Sure the QB plays a big part, he has the ball in his hands more than anybody, but I don't see why you have to throw in the towel if you admit that Sanchez and/or Tebow aren't Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. Neither are Flacco or Smith. Or Roethlisberger or Eli for that matter, but those teams are still right there.

Right. In terms of consistent regular season success...generally the teams with the good QB's will win more games...but as we've seen once the playoffs start if you're defense gets hot and you land a couple big plays on offense anything can happen.

Right. In terms of consistent regular season success...generally the teams with the good QB's will win more games...but as we've seen once the playoffs start if you're defense gets hot and you land a couple big plays on offense anything can happen.

lol. But the thing is, these things HAVEN'T BEEN HAPPENING. Every single year its been a team with an elite QB making it. So it really can't be just a team "catching a few breaks", now can it? Otherwise we'd see the Joe Flacco's of the world making the big game more often. The fact that its happened 0 times in the last 5 years tells me that it's highly improbable.

Having a top QB gives you a larger margin for error than if you are dependent on many other variables, like your running game having a great day or your defense showing up to play. If you have that great QB, you can win in a shootout if need be. You can afford to have a day where you give up 20+ points on defense and your running game is getting stuffed; you still have a chance to come out on top.

The teams with the middle-of-the-road types at QB are the ones that require the most "luck".

While I do agree with this sentiment, I actually think the problem is last season is pretty much one of the worst examples to ever use for it, when you consider neither Super Bowl team deserved their championship win. Yes, I agree the Ravens/49ers probably lock in the wins earlier with better QB play, but the respective winners have little reason to credit their QBs. Brady played significantly worse than Flacco in that game, and Manning was far from impressive either.

lol. But the thing is, these things HAVEN'T BEEN HAPPENING. Every single year its been a team with an elite QB making it. So it really can't be just a team "catching a few breaks", now can it? Otherwise we'd see the Joe Flacco's of the world making the big game more often. The fact that its happened 0 times in the last 5 years tells me that it's highly improbable.

Having a top QB gives you a larger margin for error than if you are dependent on many other variables, like your running game having a great day or your defense showing up to play. If you have that great QB, you can win in a shootout if need be. You can afford to have a day where you give up 20+ points on defense and your running game is getting stuffed; you still have a chance to come out on top.

The teams with the middle-of-the-road types at QB are the ones that require the most "luck".

Without going back too far you have the Jets in 2009 and 2010 and the Ravens and 49ers in 2011. These teams are right there. I agree lack of QB probably requires MORE luck, but some of these elite QBs weren't so elite. Brady was nothing much when he first one, of course they were wearing leather helmets back then, but I digress. Roethisberger could make a big play, but was much more wild card than elite when he first made it. Manning was pretty far from elite in 2007. Sure some of that is those guys finally "getting it", but you simply don't need to go into a season with a HOF QB.

Archived