The D-Line

Jetsfan80

As impressive as nearly the entire team was yesterday, is it safe to say the performance of our new-look D-line (and front 7 as a whole was for that matter) was, shall we say, underwhelming yesterday? We didn't really get much of a pass-rush on Fitzpatrick at all and relied on huge plays by our phenomenal secondary.

CJ Spiller going off on us late in the game would have been a bit more forgivable had we been more active in getting into the backfield on occassion. It's easy to blame this on our slow LB's but we weren't exacly clogging up those running lanes.

Since Wilkerson, Coples and Ellis are pretty much Rex and Dunbar's collective pet project, it could be considered a positive that, other than our slow LB's, this unit was the LEAST impressive, since they have an incredibly high ceiling to look forward to. No one deserves the benefit of the doubt for the development of D-line play more than Rex does.

I imagine that an additional factor working against us is Rex shifting away from a run-stopping front line to more of a pass-rushing unit. When Pouha comes back, Rex will be able to do what he does best and get creative with how he uses his big bodies up front.

So while I'm not very concerned with our inability to contain Spiller, I would very much like to see us get after Roethlisberger in Week 2, especially with the number of times the Steeler QB got hit against Denver and with their O-linemen dropping like flies.

I disagree - we had plenty of a pass rush going. Fitz was on his ass all game. If you went back and watched the full game you'd see probably a dozen QB knockdowns.

Buffalo has excelled as a team who deals with the ball quickly. The only way to stop them is to disrupt their rhythm, which you do by knocking the qb down. The interceptions that came were the result of him trying to rush his throws even more. The d-line did their job extremely well.

While I think there is some legitimacy to this, I don't think it's anything to be overly concerned with. The team got some decent pressure at times, even if that didn't register as any actual sacks and hopefully that continues to improve. As far as the run play, as I said in the other thread on this topic, beyond the massive lead the Jets had and them playing to get the Bills to keep running the ball late, you have to consider that the Jets were without Pouha and had they been overly concerned about the run, surely could have played DeVito far more than they did. I think the Jets initial defensive game plan was to concentrate on the pass and then once the lead was there, they were more than happy to let the Bills keep running the ball (although admittedly, I'm sure they had no intentions of giving up plays that big). Don't be surprised if against a team like the 49ers you see a much different rotation going on along the DL because I think while the young guys are still trying to grow and improve, you'll see a lot more changes based on the match-ups, with Wilkerson probably the only guy on that line not getting pulled off the field on at least a semi-regular basis.

Didn't Fitzpatrick have something like 100 yards, and three interceptions, thru three quarters? I think they did their job.

The Jets' dee was very vanilla yesterday, too, with four new starters in Ellis, Coples, Landry, and Bell. They're only going to get better.

41-7 with under 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. We shut them down save for the 1 Spiller run. just because we let up in garbage time doesnt mean we have a problem. Defense was sick until that point. Take out the 1 run where Bart couldve injured Laron Landry and they would have had NADA, ZIP, ZILCH!!!

Bart Scott still can't cover anyone and the tackling (other than Landry) was suspect - same problems we've seen since the AFC Championship game vs Pitt.

This week will be a huge test. I wonder if Pettine is really committed to leaving Scott on the field more or if we'll see someone who can play in space.

41-7 with under 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. We shut them down save for the 1 Spiller run. just because we let up in garbage time doesnt mean we have a problem. Defense was sick until that point. Take out the 1 run where Bart couldve injured Laron Landry and they would have had NADA, ZIP, ZILCH!!!

Take out the 56 yard run and Spiller still got over 100 and averaged nearly 8 yards per carry. He clearly creates problems for our D with his quickness. I thought there was good pressure on Fitzpatrick, even with no sacks.

Take out the 56 yard run and Spiller still got over 100 and averaged nearly 8 yards per carry. He clearly creates problems for our D with his quickness. I thought there was good pressure on Fitzpatrick, even with no sacks.

Agreed. sh*tzpatrick wasn't sacked, but he was pressured all day long! Mark wasn't at all, so kudos to the o-line. That one sack on Mark was his own fault, and that's fixable.

21 of their points came in what I considered garbage time.

Most of their yardage too.

Our DL was collapsing the pocket early in the game and forcing throws, which is what Rex's defense is all about. Sacks are kinda over-rated. Turnovers are much more important and the way Rex/Pettine game planned for yesterday was pretty damn good IMO.

the dood abides but he was contained until garbage time. not sure the exact stats but if you look what he did in the first half besides the 56 yard run and it is all good. I said in another thread that we got some great early shots on Fitzy and it clearly effected his timing the rest of the game imo. No sacks but the shots and pressure effected him greatly. Great Game!!!!

As for the pass rush Ill say it again. Buffalo is all about the quick short pass, not much time to get to him if he is throwing 3-4 seconds after the snap

Was just going to say the same thing, the Bills don't give up many sacks cause their plays are designed to be quick hitters. The Jets dropped coverage and it paid off.

check out the Steelers' injury situation along the OL. sounds like the Jets could feast, if they can bring Ben down.

http://www.steelersd...r-the-steelers/

Maybe we can have a little more success with Ben sack-wise. He holds onto the ball longer than sh*tzpatrick, although I hear they're trying to get Ben to release the ball quicker.

I imagine that an additional factor working against us is Rex shifting away from a run-stopping front line to more of a pass-rushing unit. When Pouha comes back, Rex will be able to do what he does best and get creative with how he uses his big bodies up front.

The Jets took their foot of the gas. They were running a base pass defense for pretty much the entire 2nd half. They were in bend dont break mode, Spiller just made some pretty nice plays.

I dont think its an indictment on the DL. In fact, most of the times, he was squeezing through smaller holes and we just didnt have someone their to plug or if we did, we missed the tackle.

Missing tackles I think is common on week 1 and is something that is easily correctable. I'm still super stoked about this defense, especially the DL, especially when their back at full strength.

The Jets took their foot of the gas. They were running a base pass defense for pretty much the entire 2nd half. They were in bend dont break mode, Spiller just made some pretty nice plays.

I dont think its an indictment on the DL. In fact, most of the times, he was squeezing through smaller holes and we just didnt have someone their to plug or if we did, we missed the tackle.

Missing tackles I think is common on week 1 and is something that is easily correctable. I'm still super stoked about this defense, especially the DL, especially when their back at full strength.

Yeah, I was a little nervous when it got to 41-28. For the first time that I can remember, the offense 100 % closed out a game. It might be a good thing we let them make it a game; Rex can use that as a lesson/motivation.

I imagine the defense, particularly the front 4, will carry us against Pittsburgh.

Archived