Pace, Scott and the cap

stoicsentry

Its probably right so the Jets will extend Pace and sign Scott to a one year deal if he loses 5 more pounds

LOL. Pace has played nicely this season but we need to cut both of them.

I don't care if you bring them back on the cheap but you can't possibly ignore all of that savings. Probably enough there to bring them back AND extend Revis with the same cash.

LOL. Pace has played nicely this season but we need to cut both of them.

I don't care if you bring them back on the cheap but you can't possibly ignore all of that savings. Probably enough there to bring them back AND extend Revis with the same cash.

I agree both need to be cut

but what happens to the 8.1 million we were under the cap this year ? You know cause we're so stacked we could just let 8 mil go unspent. Blows my mind we did not try to get a young RB in here this year. Bush was available and I bet the right deal could have landed us Stewart from the Panthers.

Those contracts are designed to be cut or restructured next year. David Harris needs to watch his back, too, as he's also ridiculously overpaid.

Makes McIntyre's performance Sunday that more important. The Jets need to be able to trust their young LBs in order to completely cut ties with Scott and Pace. Davis, Maybin, Mauga, Sapp... they need these guys to step up.

I agree both need to be cut

but what happens to the 8.1 million we were under the cap this year ? You know cause we're so stacked we could just let 8 mil go unspent. Blows my mind we did not try to get a young RB in here this year. Bush was available and I bet the right deal could have landed us Stewart from the Panthers.

I pretty sure that it's less than $8M and I'm pretty sure that they can roll it over into cap savings for 2013. Jason could tell you more clearly, but I'm sure they aren't leaving money on the table. I complained about it myself a few years ago and was corrected.

If Harris could cover, his salary wouldn't look as bad as it does.

Problem is, he blows big time when you ask him to play some pass defense. Hard to justify paying someone 12 mil p/yr if they can only perform half their job.

Once you ask him to cover someone, you are screwed, cause he is flat out terrible in coverage.

Whatever cap space we finish with will be rolled over into next season. Its going to be the teams tightest cap season until it can begin shedding itself of some of the bad deals they ended up signing (and by deals I mean personnel decisions, a guy like Holmes you would probably be stuck with thru 2014 with a different type of deal).

Harris cant be cut. His deal is guaranteed with no offset. Traded yes, cut no. My guess is that they will try all offseason to trade him and if they cant they will extend his deal to lower his cap charges unless they are going to totally turn over the roster. Jets have alot of guys signed with 2013 as the final year in mind (Cromartie, Holmes, Harris, Sanchez, and Pouha). When you study the way the team was rebuilt in 2011 it was clearly with a window in mind with the decision to go short rather than long term on a number of key players to the current team.

I think Scott is all but a guaranteed goner unless he's willing to come back on a completely incentive-based deal and be fighting for a job. It's not a coincidence that the Jets are carrying so many young players at ILB, including the drafting of Davis this year. Pace I think the team will make some serious effort to retain on a new, cheaper deal because while he may not be the big impact pass-rusher type some may have hoped he'd become when signed, he's still a very good player for the Jets D.

I think Scott is all but a guaranteed goner unless he's willing to come back on a completely incentive-based deal and be fighting for a job. It's not a coincidence that the Jets are carrying so many young players at ILB, including the drafting of Davis this year. Pace I think the team will make some serious effort to retain on a new, cheaper deal because while he may not be the big impact pass-rusher type some may have hoped he'd become when signed, he's still a very good player for the Jets D.

what would be the purpose to bringing him back at all? That he is cheap? Almost all guys who stink work cheap. Just cut him.

what would be the purpose to bringing him back at all? That he is cheap? Almost all guys who stink work cheap. Just cut him.

Forgetting whether or not I think they should, I think it's possible given his past relationship with Rex/veteran leadership/knowledge of the defense/etc I could see the Jets being interested in keeping him around as a situational player and insurance for all of the young ILBs, if he got to the point where he was openly willing to concede that he's no longer locked in as a starter. Trust me, I can certainly see the argument for just letting him go, but the Jets may not necessarily feel that way, especially if by the end of this season they haven't gained confidence in someone like Davis being able to step up.

Its very difficult to get defenders to agree to incentive based contracts. The NFL defines the categories in which you can incentivize a player and tackles is not an accepted category. It more or less becomes something where its an add on for secondary players (interception categories) or big boosts for aging or one year wonder pass rushers (sacks). Typically you would have to give playtime bonuses and considering the Jets feel that its worth playing Scott like 80% of the snaps you would need him to agree to a 90% or more type deal to get away from a cap perspective. Since he knows there is no way he would reach 90% he would never take the contract. I think at this stage of his career Scott is a minimum salary player though since Rex likes him they will offer him maybe 2 million if they want him to stay. That would be the max.

One thing I think that I am starting to notice is that against the run the weight loss has made Scott faster and that wasnt just lip service. Hes actually getting to players now in a way he did not last season. Problem is I think because of the weight loss guys are just steamrolling him. Hes had some brutal missed tackles in two games and it hasnt been him on a guys ankle and they guy breaking free. Its guys just bouncing right off him. Some have hurt and some havent but I think the weight he dropped has a negative impact in that area.

sorry but looked as fast as my 67 year old mom he cant rush plays the run well but he is not worth keeping.As for harris redo his contract and please sent holmes to the panthers for two 3sthis guy is a pain in the a$$. we need more speed at ILB and OLB new blood,and yes Thomas is a goner SLOW!!!

Whatever cap space we finish with will be rolled over into next season. Its going to be the teams tightest cap season until it can begin shedding itself of some of the bad deals they ended up signing (and by deals I mean personnel decisions, a guy like Holmes you would probably be stuck with thru 2014 with a different type of deal).

Harris cant be cut. His deal is guaranteed with no offset. Traded yes, cut no. My guess is that they will try all offseason to trade him and if they cant they will extend his deal to lower his cap charges unless they are going to totally turn over the roster. Jets have alot of guys signed with 2013 as the final year in mind (Cromartie, Holmes, Harris, Sanchez, and Pouha). When you study the way the team was rebuilt in 2011 it was clearly with a window in mind with the decision to go short rather than long term on a number of key players to the current team.

Sounds like some bad GMing.

The David Harris contract was totally stupid the day it was signed and seems twice as dumb now.

In a pass-happy league (as Obrien2Toon alluded to), Harris should be a part-time LBer. Even being the "captain of the defense" and a generally sure tackler, I wouldn't eat up more than $4-5M of cap space on him in any season. No speed and no coverage skills.

Despite a running start, the guy embarrassingly got chased down and caught by old, 300-lb meatball Alge Crumpler for f***'s sake. And that was when Harris was younger and lighter and faster than today. And this guy counts $12M-13M on our cap both this season and next season? Impossibly stupid.

The David Harris contract was totally stupid the day it was signed and seems twice as dumb now.

In a pass-happy league (as Obrien2Toon alluded to), Harris should be a part-time LBer. Even being the "captain of the defense" and a generally sure tackler, I wouldn't eat up more than $4-5M of cap space on him in any season. No speed and no coverage skills.

Despite a running start, the guy embarrassingly got chased down and caught by old, 300-lb meatball Alge Crumpler for f***'s sake. And that was when Harris was younger and lighter and faster than today. And this guy counts $12M-13M on our cap both this season and next season? Impossibly stupid.

Yeah but what about when we almost got to the Super Bowl a couple times?

TRADER MIKE BABY

No way Cro is overpaid.

Harris is slightly overpaid.

Most 5th round picks can do what Holmes does minus the headaches off the field.

if we didnt have holmes we would get maybe 40 passing yards a game all to dustin keller.

If you think hill and kerley could go up against a number one cornerback on another team your mistaking

but i agree with your other statements!

Forgetting whether or not I think they should, I think it's possible given his past relationship with Rex/veteran leadership/knowledge of the defense/etc I could see the Jets being interested in keeping him around as a situational player and insurance for all of the young ILBs, if he got to the point where he was openly willing to concede that he's no longer locked in as a starter. Trust me, I can certainly see the argument for just letting him go, but the Jets may not necessarily feel that way, especially if by the end of this season they haven't gained confidence in someone like Davis being able to step up.

Okay, you make sense, but i do disagree with keeping him around part time He has too big a mouth to be satisfied with a few plays a game. I would rather spend those on a primising young player.

Archived