Our Fool GM is lying on WFAN

unbanmadmike1

.......our moron gm got on the air and told everyone we are only a couple of plays each game from being a winning team.

Yes, he did say that a few times. What else could he say? He's the guy who put the players on the team.

Look, it's the fourth year of the program, the year when you should be a solid contender for the Super Bowl. Last year the momentum slowed and this year it looks like it's going down fast. When the GM starts off saying that the team is desperate for a just a win to break the losing streak and build from there-in the program's fourth year-it means he's in bad shape and hanging on by his pinkie fingers anyway.

If you have such animosity and anger toward the team that you get a kick out of seeing Francesa repeatedly stomp on those fingers with his leather jack boots, well, okay. Like I said, I'm used to seeing most interviewers show some class toward the person they're interviewing.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, he did say that a few times. What else could he say? He's the guy who put the players on the team.

Look, it's the fourth year of the program, the year when you should be a solid contender for the Super Bowl. Last year the momentum slowed and this year it looks like it's going down fast. When the GM starts off saying that the team is desperate for a just a win to break the losing streak and build from there-in the program's fourth year-it means he's in bad shape and hanging on by his pinkie fingers anyway.

If you have such animosity and anger toward the team that you get a kick out of seeing Francesa repeatedly stomp on those fingers with his leather jack boots, well, okay. Like I said, I'm used to seeing most interviewers show some class toward the person they're interviewing.

Sorry couldnt even imagine Bill Polian going on fatcessa and sounding like Ecurb

he could say........the performance is completely unacceptable and that the team hasn't even been close in those games and he recognizes that and they are working on ways to fix that. not try blowing smoke up everyones ass by saying its only been a couple of plays here and there and that the team is close. it's a joke and he's a ****ing joke.

He did say the performance is completely unacceptable, or words to that effect, several times. More times than he said that thing about a couple of plays going the other way could have given the Jets a winning season at this point. He also emphasized how everyone is working hard to improve to bring the level up to acceptability and then Super Bowl contention.

But Francesa just latched onto this "couple of plays" thing and beat it to death.

Fact is, the results of Tannenbaum's handiwork is on the field, as any fan knows, and that doesn't look good. If the team is a mess in the fourth year of your program, the GM and coach are usually gone unless some miraculous turnaround gives the owner hope for next year. That's what Tannenbaum is down to, and I cringed listening to the guy trying to put a positive view on things as Francesa tore him up. Which was a dangerous thing to do, since I was driving at the time.

They are also a couple of plays away from being 2-7, if Miami hit one of several plays including a VERy mark able field goal, 2-7 right now.

Tanny + Rex = joke, period.

They are a horrible combo, I think Tanny could work with a true leader, and I think Rex sucks.

Together, epic debacle.

Unfortunately our owner completes the three stooge trifecta with these two and we will be right back here again next year.

They are also a couple of plays away from being 2-7, if Miami hit one of several plays including a VERy mark able field goal, 2-7 right now.

Tanny + Rex = joke, period.

They are a horrible combo, I think Tanny could work with a true leader, and I think Rex sucks.

Together, epic debacle.

Unfortunately our owner completes the three stooge trifecta with these two and we will be right back here again next year.

wowo really? out of the 2 tanny is the one you'd like to keep? rex has a proven track record of running exceptional defenses most of the time. tanny drafted vernon gholston.......

Isn't it disrespectful to come on a persons show and treat him and his listeners like idiots as Tannenbaum did with his positive PR answers that only a buffoon would believe? Once you say that the security dept is 3-6, you deserve what you get. People make fun of ESPN radio for letting their guests skate by with bull sh*t responses, as least Francesa hold you accountable...

Isn't it disrespectful to come on a persons show and treat him and his listeners like idiots as Tannenbaum did with his positive PR answers that only a buffoon would believe? Once you say that the security dept is 3-6, you deserve what you get. People make fun of ESPN radio for letting their guests skate by with bull sh*t responses, as least Francesa hold you accountable...

THE GREAT TRADER MIKE DESERVES RESPECT

Not to get all up into the history of Francesa, but you have to remember he was around before the Internet was prevalent. If you wanted injury news, scores, transaction news, WFAN was where you went, unless you wanted to wait for the paper. Remember--people used to wait a week to read interviews in Sports Illustrated. A week!

To answer your question, Mike was a lot more informative when he was more plugged in and relevant. He had personal friendships with George Young, Parcells, Lou Carnesecca, Pitino, etc, etc. And, he was partnered with Chris Russo, which gave Francesa added gravitas because Russo was such a wackjob.

Now, Mike's old and relatively out of touch, relying less on info-sharing/analysis and more on instigating. He knows there's a lot of money still to be made by pushing Jets and Mets fans' buttons. They can't help themselves but to call in and scream.

It's funny you bring up the waiting a week for SI; I was helping my Ma clean out her basement and everything for Thanksgiving and saw three giant containers of years worth of old ESPN magazines. It's awesome going back through some of those things and realizing how impressive ESPN was before the last handful of years.

Anyways, thanks for that, I really had no idea about Francessa's history, as I never really listened to his show more than on road trips or anything. I guess it's different for each person, but I see what he's doing and so if I ever listen to it, I'm not shocked or enraged by it.

wowo really? out of the 2 tanny is the one you'd like to keep? rex has a proven track record of running exceptional defenses most of the time. tanny drafted vernon gholston.......

I don't want to keep either, but under Mangini,

Tanny had much better personnel than with Rex, not a coincidence.

Rex is a bad HC on so many levels, he should be no more than a DC.

Rex needs a GM who can manage him -- a GM with a football background, not an accountant who acts as his equal, at best. Woody, Tanny and Rex are a triumvirate of weakness. The Three Amigos of the NFL. If each had a specific strength, with the others' strengths complementing those, this set up might work. The fact is Rex is the only one who arguable has a strength and, unfortunately, that strength is clearly not as HC. Based on the consistent year to year decline of the defense's overall ranking, his long-standing "genius" tag as a DC has become debatable.

Although he is the owner, Woody needs to just write checks and limit himself to top-line decisions and have no involvement in on-field decisions. Those should be left to an experienced GM/Director Of Football Operations who Rex also answers to. The new GM's first order of business is to fire Sparano and hire an Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator -- someone who's claim to fame is on the offensive side of the ball.

Of course, this will not play out. Woody is fast becoming Jerry Jones (owner/GM), although he is not as upfront about it. This team simply has the wrong people in decision making positions and needs stronger, more structured management. It is a free-form cluster f**k as things now stand.

My problem with the team is how inconsistent it is.

They DOMINATED the Bills opening week. And the Colts everybody is having trouble with? that wasn't even a game!

And they played well against the Texans and Pats.

But the next week, the team never gets off the plane? They follow good performances with total airballs. That's coaching. That's focus. That's preparation.

You can't tell me you are prepared when Seattle outgains you two to one, AND YOU HAD TWO WEEKS TO PREPARE! Is Seattle the 2000 ST Louis Rams or something?

And if you go back to the Niners game IT WAS EMBARRASSING how well the NINERS ran the Wildcat! And I'm sure the Wildcat is in the back of their playbook! The Jets were pounding their chest all summer about how great their Wildcat was gonna be. The Jets dream of running it half as well! THAT'S what it's supposed to look like!

The players have tuned Rex out. If they wake up on Sunday, and are in a good mood, they play well. If not, they get blown out.

BD

If Tannenbaum needs a coach to do his job for him, there's no point in keeping him around.

So you think there is any HC in football who is NOT involved in personnel decisions?

I think it's more like, that's the role they want Rex to have, like Mangini had.

Why do you think Tanny was promoted over Badway when Mangini came?

To allow the coach to pick the groceries, and let the GM be the cap/negotiator.

Problem is Rex cannot pick the groceries, in fact, he gets the shopping list wrong!

When we need milk, he picks bread, and a sh*tty brand to boot.

it amazes me how over and over again people forget what a radio host's job is.

he's there to continue or create controversy. he could care less if he's treating someone right or wrong. 7 pages about this buffoon and his interview with a jets buffoon? He got exactly what he wanted... people listening and talking about his show.

i hate francesa.....and i rthink he was spot on in this interview. our moron gm got on the air and told everyone we are only a couple of plays each game from being a winning team. is he out of his ****ing mind? if anything i think francesa shoudl have piled it on even harder

I am sitting here trying to figure out just how stupid Tannenbaum think us--oops--we Jet fans are.

So you think there is any HC in football who is NOT involved in personnel decisions?

I think it's more like, that's the role they want Rex to have, like Mangini had.

Why do you think Tanny was promoted over Badway when Mangini came?

To allow the coach to pick the groceries, and let the GM be the cap/negotiator.

Problem is Rex cannot pick the groceries, in fact, he gets the shopping list wrong!

When we need milk, he picks bread, and a sh*tty brand to boot.

We're not talking about involvement in personnel decisions. We're talking about a decent drafting team becoming a terrible drafting team under the same GM. And considering that Tannenbaum already worked the cap before he was GM, there is literally no reason for him to hold the position.

We're not talking about involvement in personnel decisions. We're talking about a decent drafting team becoming a terrible drafting team under the same GM. And considering that Tannenbaum already worked the cap before he was GM, there is literally no reason for him to hold the position.

And what changed when it went from a Decent drafting team to a terrible drafting team????

The moron coach, that's what changed.

The moron who questioned why we would need a wideout in the second round of the draft, when our team is completely void of any playmakers, a$$hole probably wanted another DE who can't rush the passer or stop the run.

The same moron who runs a 3-4 and insists on drafting d lineman instead of linebackers.

The same moron who insisted on drafting Wilson.

Are you getting it yet?

And what changed when it went from a Decent drafting team to a terrible drafting team????

The moron coach, that's what changed.

The moron who questioned why we would need a wideout in the second round of the draft, when our team is completely void of any playmakers, a$$hole probably wanted another DE who can't rush the passer or stop the run.

The same moron who runs a 3-4 and insists on drafting d lineman instead of linebackers.

The same moron who insisted on drafting Wilson.

Are you getting it yet?

Mangini seemed to have a plan, whereas Rex thinks it's smart to slap disparate pieces together and see what happens. Dbatesman is rightly pointing out that if Tannenbaum can't even so much as moderate how two different coaches choose to build the same team, then he's not worth having as your GM.

Mangini seemed to have a plan, whereas Rex thinks it's smart to slap disparate pieces together and see what happens. Dbatesman is rightly pointing out that if Tannenbaum can't even so much as moderate how two different coaches choose to build the same team, then he's not worth having as your GM.

I completely agree, however, Tanny was never supposed to be a leader GM, he was more of a Paoli type guy, and !amgini was supposed to be Bellicheck.

Ironically, Mangini may be a better shopper than Bellicheck, but can't coach for sh*t.

The problem all along was, by keeping Tanny as GM and hiring Rex, there was no choice but to let Rex handle the Parcells, Bellicheck role.

And, Rex is a moron with personnel.

I agree that there is no point to keeping Tanny around with Rex as a coach, but I bet if a coach came in who was a Parcells, Bellicheck type, Tanny would stay and be there errand boy, just like he was for Mangini.

He is good in that role, not good in his current role.

Rex has no business being a HC in the NFL.

He is a very good DC, no more than that.

Tannenbaum is really good at two things:

Managing the cap, and draft day trading.

Does he know who they should be trading up for on draft day? No.

Does he know who should get big contracts and who shouldn't? No.

But the Jets evaluate talent by committee. They sit in a circle, have their little pow-wow. Bradshaw, Rex, Sparano, Clink, Westy, Tanny, and they think as a collective. And Tanny carries out the group's decision.

There are no savants when it comes to talent evaluation at Florham Park.....

BD

Spot on. Tanny seems to have fallen for the Rex motto that all players want to play for him and he can turn other teams outcasts and low character guys along with suspect draft "projects" into an upper tier footall team.

The 09 season was a miracle and 2010 had three key players in Edwards, Holmes and Smith playing for their next contract while still needing some miracle midseason wins to make the play-offs. (Houston-Cleveland-Denver off the top of my head).

After coming out flat and unprepared in the Pitt AFCG our CS and FO got full of themselves and failed to correctly make the proper FA signings and draft choices to take the team to the next level.

Holmes, Maybin, Plex, K. Ellis, Hill, Tebow, K. Wilson, the Harris contract, Mason, RT, Soprano, the Sanchez extension and not having a plan since day one of coaching him up are all complete failures right now yet were talked up by this organization as if their "reaches" decision wise made them smarter than the rest of the NFL.

No regime should be allowed to survive this many mistakes.

Disagree with those saying ambush.

Mike routinely asked Mike to clarify the vague bs statements he was making, and when he wouldn't Mike called BS on him. Mike conducted himself like a Teflon used car salesman, and was treated like one in kind.

Mike did his job well, IMO.

Disagree with those saying ambush.

Mike routinely asked Mike to clarify the vague bs statements he was making, and when he wouldn't Mike called BS on him. Mike conducted himself like a Teflon used car salesman, and was treated like one in kind.

Mike did his job well, IMO.

Yeah but when Francesa asked if Tanny really expected to compete with NE on Thurs and Tanny responded that we should have beat them in Oct, suddenly Francesa said well NE was not a good team. Tanny was trying to point out how wins against NE and Houston would have changed the outlook tremendously. Not a Tanny fan but Francesa was the loser on that debate.

He has been dead on about the Jets but his agenda driven interview failed.

Yeah but when Francesa asked if Tanny really expected to compete with NE on Thurs and Tanny responded that we should have beat them in Oct, suddenly Francesa said well NE was not a good team. Tanny was trying to point out how wins against NE and Houston would have changed the outlook tremendously. Not a Tanny fan but Francesa was the loser on that debate.

He has been dead on about the Jets but his agenda driven interview failed.

Wrong. Tanny's whole position was woulda, shoulda, coulda.... Fact is we DIDN'T win those games, everything else Tanny said about IF was completely irrelevant and that was Francessa's point.

Archived