Nemo - how much snow did you get?

FloridaJetsFan

These named winter storms are a joke -- In case you did not know the National Weather s Service has nothing and wants nothing to do with the naming of Winter Storms - They are conjured up by the Weather Channel to put fear into people -- and so far mission accomplished. Stay safe all in the Northeast.

These named winter storms are a joke -- In case you did not know the National Weather s Service has nothing and wants nothing to do with the naming of Winter Storms - They are conjured up by the Weather Channel to put fear into people -- and so far mission accomplished. Stay safe all in the Northeast.

agreed. the fear mongering is awful.

Well.. the snow and wind have subsided. Now its time to dig out from about 2 1/2 feet of snow. 1 neighbor use snow blower to do part of sidewalk, and the other condo people helped shovel the other sidewalk. Now its time to head down to municipal lot and dig our cars out which will probably be covered in 6 feet of plowed and drifting snow.

Luckily we never lost power or heat. Other than shoveling its been a normal saturday. I feel bad for those in southeast mass and the cape who are without power.

I will say this... I will take this any day over hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes. This is a hell of a lot easier to deal with.

LIPA did a lot of preparation for this storm, which turned out to be a dud as far as knocking down power lines goes. They put me up in a hotel Friday night, because there was probably no way I'd get back Saturday morning if they didn't. They paid out a lot of OT for nothing. This pretty much ensures that they'll under-prepare for the next storm. It's a reliable cycle.

I hate snow. I broke my car (my alignment's screwed), and -unrelated- I broke a tooth. Sure, I could've broken a tooth in the summer, but I didn't. I hate snow.

I'm back to looking at tropical locations for retirement. I want two seasons: Summer, and hotter summer with refreshing night time rain.

LIPA did a lot of preparation for this storm, which turned out to be a dud as far as knocking down power lines goes. They put me up in a hotel Friday night, because there was probably no way I'd get back Saturday morning if they didn't. They paid out a lot of OT for nothing. This pretty much ensures that they'll under-prepare for the next storm. It's a reliable cycle.

I hate snow. I broke my car (my alignment's screwed), and -unrelated- I broke a tooth. Sure, I could've broken a tooth in the summer, but I didn't. I hate snow.

I'm back to looking at tropical locations for retirement. I want two seasons: Summer, and hotter summer with refreshing night time rain.

Feel you here. Little Sal had a root canal then while waiting for the permanent crown busted the tooth in half. Funny thing about dental insurance is the policy states it pays 80% but DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNN that 20% left over aint no joke. LOL

Haven't checked the paper but it was about 30 inches here.  Power and heat went out about 2 AM, even landline phone service was out for a small time.

Back when the hurricanes hit the last couple of years, the TV and all the towns in the area were telling people to go to shelters before the storm hit, don't get trapped in the house.  This time, the town didn't even open up shelters before the blizzard hit, "because we don't have any call for them at this time".  They did ask if I was elderly or sick, so there is some provision for them, apparently.

Overall, I made out all right, the driveway got cleared, stayed at a friend's house with power and Sunday afternoon the power came back on.

But I can't believe they open shelters before hurricanes, when it doesn't matter that much if power and heat go out, but don't open them before blizzards, where people can get stuck in freezing houses for days.

Archived