Tanny: "I don't think I would have signed a QB to an extension knowing he'd have 26 turnovers"

Bleedin Green

Can I ask how the extension is coming back to bite this team? What was the great opportunity for 2012 they missed out on by keeping him around? Not seeing what McElroy or Tebow could do all year? Is the team really screwed out of finding a QB this offseason because Sanchez is here or is it really because there's no truly obvious choice?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fwiw Sanchez received a raise in both cash and guarantees so it wasn't a net zero move. The jets paid him more mony to stay here over the same terms as his old deal. The bottom line is that I think they convinced themselves that he was Eli manning and that Eli's career was a normal progression. When Eli won a SB he got the richest contract in the game and Flacco is about to do the same. They thought they were getting Eli at 13 mil a year rather than the 21 mil a year Flacco will cost. Instead they got Joey Harrington for 13 mil a year because they refused to look at how bad he was. If they don't give him that deal tannenbaum still has a job

If they don't give him that deal tannenbaum still has a job

I'm not sure I agree with that. If Sanchez had a good season then Tannenbaum still has a job. I really think that they looked at who was out there to draft or sign at QB over 2012 and 2013 and saw it for what it was/is: a whole lot of question marks in the group of realistic candidates. 

At least that money being allocated to Sanchez means they can't go do something stupid like look at Alex Pennington. 

We can now hindsight something about how Russell Wilson of course...I'm sure this board would have been thrilled with the Jets picking a 5'11" QB with a third round pick last year (bc that matters).

"The fact that we could have had a franchise quarterback in the third round is irrelevant because non-Gato Jets fans wouldn't have been smart enough to appreciate the move at the time."

Fwiw Sanchez received a raise in both cash and guarantees so it wasn't a net zero move. The jets paid him more mony to stay here over the same terms as his old deal. The bottom line is that I think they convinced themselves that he was Eli manning and that Eli's career was a normal progression. When Eli won a SB he got the richest contract in the game and Flacco is about to do the same. They thought they were getting Eli at 13 mil a year rather than the 21 mil a year Flacco will cost. Instead they got Joey Harrington for 13 mil a year because they refused to look at how bad he was. If they don't give him that deal tannenbaum still has a job

Gotta admit, I'm still shocked Woody fired him.

I grow wistful for the days when you were mocking us for not understanding how brilliant Brian Schottenheimer was.

That might be part of the problem.  Having 26 turnovers under Schottenheimer when they opened it up a little bit is one thing.  Having 26 turnovers under Luigi and his simplified run the ball up the gut and don't turn it over offense is quite another.  I 

lets not act like its set in stone that this years qb have no chance to do anything but suck. the draft is such an imperfect science that i find it slightly funny that all the draftniks and supposed draft gurus even get much recognition when they say this sh*t.  

there is talent in this class but it's not obvious talent. there's no clear franchise QB at 1. someone will find a starter or two in this class but it's gonna be a sleeper or whatever. It's not an easy class to find a QB. 

people often grow to believe their own propaganda. in a scapegoat organization like the jets have been, it's easy to convince yourself that the past is all on the guy you just threw under the bus. tanny and others probably actually believed that mark's lack of development was on schotty and that by moving on, mark would develop into his potential. it is much easier on the ego than admitting that they built their house on a cracked $50M foundation. 

people often grow to believe their own propaganda. in a scapegoat organization like the jets have been, it's easy to convince yourself that the past is all on the guy you just threw under the bus. tanny and others probably actually believed that mark's lack of development was on schotty and that by moving on, mark would develop into his potential. it is much easier on the ego than admitting that they built their house on a cracked $50M foundation. 

Maybe.  Except Tannenbaum was the one who had just given Schottenheimer an extension before his last season here.

I don't buy the blame for Drafting Sanchez, the Draft is a crap shoot. It's the extension I have a problem with, Mark was still under contract, a smart G.M would have seen how 2012 was going and "If" Mark was playing well extend him, if not...

Instead we are saddled with him another year, we could have Traded for Flynn, or the kid at Philly, or Alex Smith. We are so cash strapped Matt Moore looks like a Joe Montana

Option compaired to Sanchez. The sad thing is Rex going to be the fall guy, we lose the Defence he runs. In 2014 the Bills will still have our Defensive scheme, and will have no D and no Q.B.

I don't buy the blame for Drafting Sanchez, the Draft is a crap shoot. It's the extension I have a problem with, Mark was still under contract, a smart G.M would have seen how 2012 was going and "If" Mark was playing well extend him, if not...

Perfectly put.

Every team drafts bad players.  The good ones don't extend the bad ones after a 4-year tryout.

This was an attempt to get Sanchez for cheaper than he would have been IF he dramatically turned his career around for the better.  Tannenbaum should have known that was never going to happen but bet on it anyway and it cost him his job.

Perfectly put.

Every team drafts bad players.  The good ones don't extend the bad ones after a 4-year tryout.

This was an attempt to get Sanchez for cheaper than he would have been IF he dramatically turned his career around for the better.  Tannenbaum should have known that was never going to happen but bet on it anyway and it cost him his job.

my problem with this logic (and Jason's earlier comment) is that Tanny is out of a job if he doesn't extend Mark. the idea that the extension did him in... he's getting fired either way if Mark goes south. At the time of the extension Mark had 1 really bad year and 2 AFC CG playoff runs. It's a no lose move for Tanny to double down on Mark. Imagine Mark plays out his string, Tanny says to Woody "hey remember that 50 mil you put into Mark, I smartly made sure we didn't extend him. And... we need to do it again" He still gets fired. the extension wasn't why he got fired. Mark playing poorly is what got him fired. Conversely if Mark plays awesome in 2012 the extension isn't getting him fired in that scenario. It's all about Mark basically and how many people this guy can get fired before he leaves the Jets. 

my problem with this logic (and Jason's earlier comment) is that Tanny is out of a job if he doesn't extend Mark. the idea that the extension did him in... he's getting fired either way if Mark goes south. At the time of the extension Mark had 1 really bad year and 2 AFC CG playoff runs. It's a no lose move for Tanny to double down on Mark. Imagine Mark plays out his string, Tanny says to Woody "hey remember that 50 mil you put into Mark, I smartly made sure we didn't extend him. And... we need to do it again" He still gets fired. the extension wasn't why he got fired. Mark playing poorly is what got him fired. Conversely if Mark plays awesome in 2012 the extension isn't getting him fired in that scenario. It's all about Mark basically and how many people this guy can get fired before he leaves the Jets. 

You don't know this and I don't even agree.

I think the reason he's gone isn't just because the Jets suck. It's because the Jets suck and don't have the cap room to get any better because of contracts you liked, like Sanchez and Harris.

Mark playing poorly isn't what got him fired.  Mark playing poorly with no other option in sight, and financially locking the team into no other option at the same time in humiliating fashion is what got him fired.  I think Woody likes Tannenbaum and with so many bad moves - the Sanchez extension just being the most obvious one - he got fired.

If Sanchez sucks while still on his rookie contract, but another QB was brought in here through the draft or FA and took the Jets to 9-7 in a season where they lost Revis and Holmes, I think Tannenbaum's job was pretty safe.

If Sanchez sucks while still on his rookie contract, but another QB was brought in here through the draft or FA and took the Jets to 9-7 in a season where they lost Revis and Holmes, I think Tannenbaum's job was pretty safe.

that's a fair point, maybe tannys mistake was believing Tebow could get them to 9-7 in that scenario. 

Tanny is fired as a scapegoat for the fat moron HC, period.

Tanny did his bidding, this roster is Rex's roster, not Tannys

Lol!

Woody fired his one last link to Bill Parcells, the lone executive who's been with him since he bought the team, as a "scapegoat." Nothing to do with the Peter Principle or anything. Nothing to do with Tannenbaum's performance. Just pure conspiracy.

Gotta love it.

Lol!

Woody fired his one last link to Bill Parcells, the lone executive who's been with him since he bought the team, as a "scapegoat." Nothing to do with the Peter Principle or anything. Nothing to do with Tannenbaum's performance. Just pure conspiracy.

Gotta love it.

Not a conspiracy if Ryan is stupid, and boy lemmetellya is Ryan stupid. He's all Super Bowl this and this guy is the greatest at that...signs of a delusional dummy.

Lol!

Gotta love it.

LOL, you know what is really funny? and I mean, really, really funny?

Acting like Woody, the man who forced Tebow down the organizations throat, tells everyone that this is the entertainment business, called Rex Ryan SOPHISTICATED, tells the media "You can never have enough Tebow", and many other moronic, idiotic owner things, has one iota of a clue on how to run a football team, and made the right move firing Tanny, and keeping Rex around, that is funny, I mean, really, really funny.

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

LOL, you know what is really funny? and I mean, really, really funny?

Acting like Woody, the man who forced Tebow down the organizations throat, tells everyone that this is the entertainment business, called Rex Ryan SOPHISTICATED, tells the media "You can never have enough Tebow", and many other moronic, idiotic owner things, has one iota of a clue on how to run a football team, and made the right move firing Tanny, and keeping Rex around, that is funny, I mean, really, really funny.

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

Never mind that Tannenbaum said that Tebow was all his idea after he was fired. That wouldn't fit your conspiracy.

Never mind that Tannenbaum said that Tebow was all his idea after he was fired. That wouldn't fit your conspiracy.

LOL, do you really believe that, even one tiny bit?

Really?

Deductive reasoning is clearly not one of your stronger points.

If that was his only mistake he'd still be here.  Pretty special that we surrendered a 4th rounder and millions in cap room for the privilege.

He did such a good job outside of Tebow he will be the object of articles for years to come that tell stories of draft schwansing  - on both sides of the ball.

01-expert-feat-posts-70x70-png_191415.pn
JASON COLE

EXPERT
The pass-rush project: Ezekiel 'Ziggy' Ansah is the latest 'raw' superathletic DE to make waves

17 hours ago

Is the answer to the NFL's present trend of run-option quarterbacks a guy with almost no football past?

That is the daunting question revolving around BYU defensive lineman Ezekial "Ziggy" Ansah. In so many ways, Ansah is the latest version of Jason Pierre-Paul, a tall, fast and uber-athletic defensive end who didn't have much experience with the game. The difference is that Ansah not only has even less football experience than Pierre-Paul, but also Ansah has less experience with this country as a native of Ghana.

"It is crazy, to go from where I was a year ago to how much people are paying attention to me," Ansah said in his slightly halting English that reverberates through his kettle-drum voice. Ansah is viewed much like Pierre-Paul in 2010, a mid-first-round pick (Pierre, from South Florida, went No. 15 overall to the New York Giants) with high upside and lots of risk.

To hear Senior Bowl executive director and former longtime NFL scout and executive Phil Savage talk about Ansah, the top 10 appears to be a sure thing heading into the NFL scouting combine, which starts this week in Indianapolis.

"I'm thinking that maybe even the top five with the way that teams are so desperate to adjust what they're doing for all these read-option quarterbacks," said Savage, who watched Ansah take over the Senior Bowl last month as if he were already a level better than the competition. "You're going to need guys on the defensive line who can chase those guys down. Ansah is that guy."

Ansah finished the Senior Bowl with seven tackles, including 3 ½ for losses (1 ½ were sacks), and forced a fumble from Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib. Savage and many other observers said he was clearly the best player in the game.

Ansah is the NFL's version of a runway model. At 6-foot-5, 274 pounds and a wingspan of nearly seven feet, he runs like a track athlete. That's what Ansah did before finding his way to the gridiron. In fact, Ansah did lots of things before getting to football. There was soccer in Ghana. There was basketball, a sport he loved as he watched his older brother, Elias, play. Ziggy even dreamed of playing at the NBA level after he converted to Mormonism and came to the United States five years ago.

The downside

As much as some people like the idea of getting the next Pierre-Paul or even a guy like Stephen Neal, a guard with New England who never played in college but played eight seasons in the NFL before retiring after the 2010 season, the success rate for players with non-traditional football backgrounds is questionable.

Perhaps the best example – or worst, depending upon your perspective – is former New York Jets defensive end Vernon Gholston, who had to be talked into playing football in high school, just like Pierre-Paul. Gholston, who also is exceptionally bright, ended up at Ohio State and became an even more successful college pass rusher than either Pierre-Paul or Ansah.

Gholston went No. 6 in the 2008 draft to the Jets. In three years with the Jets, Gholston never recorded a sack and was cut. In each of the past two years, he was with a team in training camp but didn't last past August.

Or there is Jets offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse, who moved to the United States from Haiti when he was 14, started playing football in high school and played at the University of Massachusetts before being a second-round pick in 2010. Ducasse has started one game in three years with the Jets, and what little playing time he has received has been shrouded in mild controversy. In November, Jets offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo, who was fired earlier this month, indicated that he was being forced to play Ducasse on roughly 25 percent of the snaps.

With players such as Gholston and Ducasse, small things can have large ripple effects because of their lack of experience.

One former Jets employee said that Gholston's confidence was shot in his very first game. Gholston, who was under pressure to fulfill a five-year, $32.5 million contract that included $21 million guaranteed, missed a sack of Miami quarterback Chad Pennington, who had recently left the Jets.

"I just remember that play so vividly and how he seemed to think about that play over and over again," the former Jets employee said. "He wasn't a guy with a lot of confidence, and I think that with the pressure of the contract and the New York media on him, he just went into a shell."

For Ducasse, the 2011 NFL lockout deprived him of vital learning time with the coaching staff. When Ducasse came back to the team after the lockout, it was almost as if he were starting over again as a rookie, the former employee said.

LOL, do you really believe that, even one tiny bit?

Really?

Deductive reasoning is clearly not one of your stronger points.

You don't believe that for a second.

I don't see how it benefits Tannenbaum to take the fall for Tebow after he's left the Jets.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000139049/Tannenbaum-reflects-on-time-with-Jets?campaign=Facebook_videos_jets

Someone want to break it to this moron that Sanchez had 26 turnovers in 2011 too?

What bothers me about this is not Tanny's idiotic statement, it's that the interview didn't call him on it right on the spot.

That seems to be a problem across the board in sports media and elsewhere.  An interviewee says something that is easily verifyable and this is the internet age so an assistant can check it on an iPad and relay it to the interviewer in seconds but they don't.  It's pathetic.

I don't see how it benefits Tannenbaum to take the fall for Tebow after he's left the Jets.

OK, so lets play this out.

Reporter:

Tebow was obviously a huge mistake, was this your move, or Woody Johnsons move?

MT:

This was 100% on Woody, we saw no value to having Tebow on this roster, however he is the owner and he makes the call.

Future potential boss owners:

Yeah, just what I want, someone to throw me under the bus if I decide I want a player, no thanks.

Is it really that hard to grasp??

I think its comical how you want to blame Tanny for all that is wrong with the Jets.

He takes plenty of the blame, but he is a distant third behind Woody and Rex in where the blame should really be directed.

Lol!

Gotta love it.

He's on Gato's level with the whole Shotty thingy.  Bizarre sh*t.

I think its comical how you want to blame Tanny for all that is wrong with the Jets.

Dude, you're the one who sees things strictly in black & white, not me. I blame Woody for poor owning, Rex for poor coaching, and Tannenbaum for poor GM'ing.

Dude, you're the one who sees things strictly in black & white, not me. I blame Woody for poor owning, Rex for poor coaching, and Tannenbaum for poor GM'ing.

Wait one damn second, you want people to be responsible for their OWN actions?  Geez, what kind of moron are you?  Everyone with half a brain knows that absolutely everything that has ever happened in the history of the New York Jets is Rex Ryan's fault.

Ok, time to go huff some more glue now.

Wait one damn second, you want people to be responsible for their OWN actions?  Geez, what kind of moron are you?  Everyone with half a brain knows that absolutely everything that has ever happened in the history of the New York Jets is Rex Ryan's fault.

Ok, time to go huff some more glue now.

All Rex's fault.  He's the reason that 98 team didnt win the SB.  FACT!

Archived