Schefter: Jets are “Determined” to Deal Revis

JetNation

A new development in the Darrelle Revis saga came this morning on Twitter via Adam Schefter:

This is the latest in a number of reports (including some from Manish Mehta’s “sources” over at the New York Daily News) that say Revis will be playing somewhere else come September.

Obviously there are pros and cons to trading Revis, and things have apparently been tense between Revis and the Jets’ front office. Take all this stuff with a grain of salt, but with Schefter’s tweet, it’s feeling more and more like Jets fans should be prepared to see Revis in different colors next season.

He is getting dealt.  The question is, do the jets wait for him to prove he has fully recovered from his surgery and miss the opportunity for 2013 draft picks or do they wait until after the draft when Revis can prove he is up to snuff and get 2014 picks.  It will be hard for Idzik to wait and be patient but I think we are better off waiting unless an incredible offer comes on the 12th.

This is what Jason Cole was saying this morning.  He knows for a fact despite the 49'ers denying it (see the Manning pursuit last year) that they and the Falcons are seriously interested in acquiring Revis.  

You know the Jets have to be thrilled with the idea of moving him to the NFC as well.

While Idzik obviously has no reason to have any personal beef with Revis, he obviously knows what has gone on in Revis' time here and Revis' actions the day Idzik was hired didn't exactly do much to make anyone feel any better about that.  I also have to imagine a guy who knows he has as much work in front of him as Idzik does can't be in love with the idea of shelling out the kind of cash Revis is looking for, otherwise seeing him walk for nothing in a year without the ability to franchise him.  Not to mention, let's be honest, given how everything went in the NFC last year, I'm sure he sees the potential to (hopefully) start up a bidding war between those two teams.

You know the Jets have to be thrilled with the idea of moving him to the NFC as well.

While Idzik obviously has no reason to have any personal beef with Revis, he obviously knows what has gone on in Revis' time here and Revis' actions the day Idzik was hired didn't exactly do much to make anyone feel any better about that.  I also have to imagine a guy who knows he has as much work in front of him as Idzik does can't be in love with the idea of shelling out the kind of cash Revis is looking for, otherwise seeing him walk for nothing in a year without the ability to franchise him.  Not to mention, let's be honest, given how everything went in the NFC last year, I'm sure he sees the potential to (hopefully) start up a bidding war between those two teams.

Ya, the Prima Donna act basically sealed his fate for a new deal after the last one.. It was always his 'final jets deal' IMO

Yeah, I mean, the dude comes in here with all these F'ing crazy ass contract and then he immediately has to deal with the biggest headache in the league from a contract standpoint who happens to the best player on his team.  lol  Poor guy has his work cut out for him.

Funny thing is , with his injury now, he is probably better off in LONG run (not short run) to stay w/Jets.

1- Take a smaller salary, but end career as one of few lifetime AllPro players who were jets forever

2- NYC still media hub, has to translate into the dollars he may miss by accepting smaller Jets salary. You know Nike would prefer he stay in NY and it wouldnt shock me if they 'hinted' his Nike salary would be sweeter if he stayed in NY

3- Retirement would be more lucrative in NY media market as a lifelong Jet

So Revis, you want to be penny wise, dollar foolish? Go for the quick pennies and leave the future dollars on table  :)

This is what Jason Cole was saying this morning.  He knows for a fact despite the 49'ers denying it (see the Manning pursuit last year) that they and the Falcons are seriously interested in acquiring Revis.  

After 2013 Revis is going to the highest bidder.    If the Jets want to trade Revis this year and then re-sign him long-term after 2013 season there is nothing that stops them from being the highest bidder.   Trading him  is the only smart move for Los Yets.  

Funny thing is , with his injury now, he is probably better off in LONG run (not short run) to stay w/Jets.

1- Take a smaller salary, but end career as one of few lifetime AllPro players who were jets forever

2- NYC still media hub, has to translate into the dollars he may miss by accepting smaller Jets salary. You know Nike would prefer he stay in NY and it wouldnt shock me if they 'hinted' his Nike salary would be sweeter if he stayed in NY

So Revis, you want to be penny wise, dollar foolish? Go for the quick pennies and leave the future dollars on table :)

The most marketable athletes in the NFL currently reside in Green Bay, Denver, Boston, Atlanta, Baltimore, and wherever Tebow is. Playing in NY doesn't earn Revis an extra nickel.

He is getting dealt. The question is, do the jets wait for him to prove he has fully recovered from his surgery and miss the opportunity for 2013 draft picks or do they wait until after the draft when Revis can prove he is up to snuff and get 2014 picks. It will be hard for Idzik to wait and be patient but I think we are better off waiting unless an incredible offer comes on the 12th.

The flip side to waiting is if Revis comes back slow like he did after his last holdout. Then, instead of proving that he's back, teams are more tentative about making a deal.

I think the market is best now, when Revis' reputation as the best CB in history and his work ethic are speaking for him, and teams haven't drafted CBs that they're all excited about, yet.

The flip side to waiting is if Revis comes back slow like he did after his last holdout. Then, instead of proving that he's back, teams are more tentative about making a deal.

I think the market is best now, when Revis' reputation as the best CB in history and his work ethic are speaking for him, and teams haven't drafted CBs that they're all excited about, yet.

The only thing that could work against the trade is the long list of CBs available as FA right now.

The most marketable athletes in the NFL currently reside in Green Bay, Denver, Boston, Atlanta, Baltimore, and wherever Tebow is. Playing in NY doesn't earn Revis an extra nickel.

All mentioned were QB's. 

Different animal IMO. 

Still dont see why Nike cant make up difference between what Revis 'wants' and what Jets are willing to pay.

I've read stuff where it said Nike wants him in NY if possible. The whole Revis Island/NYC works for this Non QB. Non QBs harder to market to casual fans.

Pony up Nike ;)

If/when a deal goes down, I'm sure it will have conditional 2014 picks in it.  Protects everyone.

Teams will be very hesitant to hand out multiple picks for a player they don’t know for sure they can even resign.  They will give up a 2nd this year, just to have him on the team this year, and the sole rights to negotiate with him.

Perhaps a 1st and a 2nd next year if they can get him signed. 

So Revis, you want to be penny wise, dollar foolish? Go for the quick pennies and leave the future dollars on table  :)

eh you never know. If revis goes to a random team that isnt that good he could be the face of the franchise and im sure nike would love that. For how good he is here all we ever hear about is how bad sanchez is and other fun stuff. Getting away from this could get the focus on him which im sure his endorsements would like

If/when a deal goes down, I'm sure it will have conditional 2014 picks in it.  Protects everyone.

Teams will be very hesitant to hand out multiple picks for a player they don’t know for sure they can even resign.  They will give up a 2nd this year, just to have him on the team this year, and the sole rights to negotiate with him.

Perhaps a 1st and a 2nd next year if they can get him signed. 

nvm. 

With the entire tide swimming against it, I'm gonna make the bold prediction that the Jets extend Revis for 4 years. Wouldn't that be funny as hell?

I like your moxy ... It would be the ultimate game changer by Idzik, making his mark at the beginning of his tenure. There is a chance the whole trade talk could be negotiating pressure but if it is it could backfire ... clearly from the recent webisode interview Revis has his eye on his legacy and his brand not Superbowls with the Jets.

Perhaps a 1st and a 2nd next year if they can get him signed

Jets got burned on that exact provision when they traded Vilma to the Saints. They let his contract expire, then resigned him, and the Jets got nothing in a conditional pick.

If they want to do the conditional thing, I'd link it to Revis' playing time in 2013. The only concern is his health, and if he's playing, he's healthy enough.

This is ******* depressing being a die hard jets fan. Trading revis for picks sucks in general bc he's the best corner in the league. What sucks even more is we will prolly whiff on the picks we trade for him and end up getting guys who won't be in the league more than 3 years setting us back even more

Jets got burned on that exact provision when they traded Vilma to the Saints. They let his contract expire, then resigned him, and the Jets got nothing in a conditional pick.

If they want to do the conditional thing, I'd link it to Revis' playing time in 2013. The only concern is his health, and if he's playing, he's healthy enough.

Hopefully they have learned.

I'm good with your provison

• Darrelle Revis reportedly wants to stay with Jets

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Our daily spin around the Darrelle Revis Wheel of Speculation and Misinformation has landed us on a different section of the rumor circle.

Citing unnamed sources close to Revis, the New York Post reported Thursday morning that the cornerback does not want to be traded from the New York Jets.

10 reasons you need Revis

0ap1000000146332.jpgThe rumors are swirling that Darrelle Revis could be on the move. Adam Rank knows 10 reasons why the all-world cornerback should be on your team. More ...

"He wants to remain a Jet," a source said. "He has never asked to be traded."

Revis' people clearly are trying to moonwalk away from the cornerback's poorly timed appearance on Michael Robinson's web-based show, where he said it would be "awesome" to win a Super Bowl with the San Francisco 49ers.

Sure, Revis still wants to be a Jet. He also wants to get paid -- somewhere around $16 million per season.

To recap:

General manager John Idzik is doing his due diligence to improve the Jets, while at the same time denying he is shopping Revis. All reported suitors deny they are in fact suitors. And Revis wants to stay in New York, even with a poorly stacked team suffering financial hardships.

The wheel will keep on spinning -- probably again tomorrow morning, or later today, or in seven minutes. We'll update you on the nauseating ride until the wheel finally comes unhinged.

Jets don't want you BROOOOOOOTHER. You're just not an impact guy, even if you are in the conversation for best defensive player in the league. 

Unnamed sources close to Revis = his slimeball agents trying to gain support from the fanbase.  All he has to do is lower his preposterous demands and he'll remain a Jet.

I need to hear numbers. Has anyone from Revis' camp come out and said he's demanding 16 mill per?

I think Cimini has just repeated this to the point where everyone believes it to be true.  If he actually wants 16 he's gone, but I don't think there's a team in the league that would pay him that.

I think Cimini has just repeated this to the point where everyone believes it to be true.  If he actually wants 16 he's gone, but I don't think there's a team in the league that would pay him that.

That's the thing- if no one else will, why should the Jets have to? If actually does want to stay here- lets act like big boys on both sides and come up with something that works.

I realize Tanny screwed us royally with Sanchez, Holmes and Harris....but teams dont trade their best players in their prime.

That's the thing- if no one else will, why should the Jets have to? If actually does want to stay here- lets act like big boys on both sides and come up with something that works.

I realize Tanny screwed us royally with Sanchez, Holmes and Harris....but teams dont trade their best players in their prime.

It would be a fairly classic Jets move.  

It seems like a no brainer.  Offer him enough more than Bailey to make him feel special and guarantee a bunch of it.  If he doesn't bite then you try and pit some teams against each other for the privilege of trying to negotiate the same deal with him.

I would hope the the Jets wouldn't be determined to trade Revis without:

A.) determining what he's asking for in a new contract, and

B.) determining what they can get for him in a trade.

If the answer to both of the above is, "a sh*tload," then trading him is probably the wise move.

I would hope the the Jets wouldn't be determined to trade Revis without:

A.) determining what he's asking for in a new contract, and

B.) determining what they can get for him in a trade.

If the answer to both of the above is, "a sh*tload," then trading him is probably the wise move.

Scorched earth, baby. Every guy an Idzik guy.

Archived