Colts on verge of big trade?

NYGiantFan10

What's really interesting is no one in the Colts org ( other than the owner) has been leaking anything. This is a surprise to everyone.   Could you imagine what life would be like without the daily leakage out of Florham Park?

Theres only two wideouts i see it being

Victor cruz

Larry fitz

Cardinals have the coaching connection. 

Colts have Luck, they can freely trade away their 1st rounder and/or picks from next year for Fitz ... since they won't be QB hunting for another decade.

The thought of Victor Cruz running around that dome, catching 100 passes a year from Luck would haunt Giants fans for a long time.

Cruz is great, but giving Jerry Reese two more first rounders could be nice. Eli has a habit of making receivers look pretty awesome.

Cruz is great, but giving Jerry Reese two more first rounders could be nice. Eli has a habit of making receivers look pretty awesome.

Who is giving up two first rounders for a guy they will have to pay a king's ransom to?  His is an RFA playing on the tender.  After that it is franchise him or pay him.  The Giants are worried they can't afford to and still pay Eli and Nicks. The Vikings elected to give Greg Jennings 5/47 rather than make an offer.

Who is giving up two first rounders for a guy they will have to pay a king's ransom to? His is an RFA playing on the tender. After that it is franchise him or pay him. The Giants are worried they can't afford to and still pay Eli and Nicks. The Vikings elected to give Greg Jennings 5/47 rather than make an offer.

I'm assuming the Giants would trade him for two firsts, otherwise they'll just match.

I'm assuming the Giants would trade him for two firsts, otherwise they'll just match.

Of course they would trade him for two firsts! They'd probably do that if he were locked up.  Any team could have him for an offere + a first.  It probably isn't too hard to structure a contract to force the Giants hand.  Two firsts is a pipe dream. Why do you think they would match?  The only reason they aren't negotiating with him is because they probably can't afford him and Nicks and Eli.  They are (correctly) stringing him along until they eventually end up losing him as a FA or circumstances change allowing them to sign him.

What's really interesting is no one in the Colts org ( other than the owner) has been leaking anything. This is a surprise to everyone.   Could you imagine what life would be like without the daily leakage out of Florham Park?

I really don’t think there is any leakage in Florham Park that they don’t want leaked.

Look at the players they signed Friday.  Did Mehta have any sources indicate that these signings were coming?  I didn’t even hear any of these guys names mentioned until the signings.

Guys like Mehta act just like the posters.  They come to conclusions that they feel sure about from very little knowledge.

The different is that on here you get banned for making up stories.  With them they put the unidentified source tag on it, create a big stir, and sell more papers.

Ah, Jerry Reese.  You are right if he gets more picks he will make it work.  But Giants fans still will get sick seeing Cruz do the salsa in the dome during his 100+ catch season.

It's amazing the turn around all you need is a real Q.B. They swollowed all their cap last year, Took the hit. Now in 2013 its like 2011 never happened. Tanked the Season got Luck and their all set.

The Colts have a habbit in selecting Q.B's first overall, most are Elite,

Elway 83.

Jeff George 90.

Andy Luck 2012.

I wish we could fall over even an half decent one.. (Re-do the 2000 Draft, or undo the Mo Lewis hit).

It's amazing the turn around all you need is a real Q.B. They swollowed all their cap last year, Took the hit. Now in 2013 its like 2011 never happened. Tanked the Season got Luck and their all set.

The Colts have a habbit in selecting Q.B's first overall, most are Elite,

Elway 83.

Jeff George 90.

Andy Luck 2012.

I wish we could fall over even an half decent one.. (Re-do the 2000 Draft, or undo the Mo Lewis hit).

Also that Peyton Manning guy.

Of course they would trade him for two firsts! They'd probably do that if he were locked up. Any team could have him for an offere + a first. It probably isn't too hard to structure a contract to force the Giants hand. Two firsts is a pipe dream. Why do you think they would match? The only reason they aren't negotiating with him is because they probably can't afford him and Nicks and Eli. They are (correctly) stringing him along until they eventually end up losing him as a FA or circumstances change allowing them to sign him.

The Giants already tendered him at the first round level, have zero reasons to trade him, and have more than enough cap space to match any deal the Colts could conceive of. If Irsay wants him, he's going to have to cough up a sh*tload to get him. A player of his age, talent, and production isn't getting out the door for less than a premium return above and beyond the first the Colts would be giving up anyway.

The Giants already tendered him at the first round level, have zero reasons to trade him, and have more than enough cap space to match any deal the Colts could conceive of. If Irsay wants him, he's going to have to cough up a sh*tload to get him. A player of his age, talent, and production isn't getting out the door for less than a premium return above and beyond the first the Colts would be giving up anyway.

Could be, but why don't they just pay him?

Could be, but why don't they just pay him?

He can't go anywhere. What's the rush? Let him go out, see who's paying what, sign an offer sheet, then Reese can match that. Only Mike Tannenbaum was dumb enough to guess at what the market is before signing players to huge deals (Holmes, Harris).

He can't go anywhere. What's the rush? Let him go out, see who's paying what, sign an offer sheet, then Reese can match that. Only Mike Tannenbaum was dumb enough to guess at what the market is before signing players to huge deals (Holmes, Harris).

I agree they shouldn't rush to sign him, but, as usual, I think the Tannenbaum shot is out of line.  Jason wrote an article that the Holmes contract was pretty much dead in line with market.  Wrong player, not wrong contract.

I agree they shouldn't rush to sign him, but, as usual, I think the Tannenbaum shot is out of line.  Jason wrote an article that the Holmes contract was pretty much dead in line with market.  Wrong player, not wrong contract.

Tannenbaum's an incompetent assbag who set the Jets back a half-decade. Anything Tom says or believes about him is kinder than he deserves.

I agree they shouldn't rush to sign him, but, as usual, I think the Tannenbaum shot is out of line. Jason wrote an article that the Holmes contract was pretty much dead in line with market. Wrong player, not wrong contract.

No player who was traded for a fifth round pick the year prior is worth a 5 year/ $55 million dollar contract. Jason cited his age and production in comparison to other receivers in the league, but a player is only worth what another team will pay for him, and Holmes was a pariah around the league worth a measly fifth rounder.

No player who was traded for a fifth round pick the year prior is worth a 5 year/ $55 million dollar contract. Jason cited his age and production in comparison to other receivers in the league, but a player is only worth what another team will pay for him, and Holmes was a pariah around the league worth a measly fifth rounder.

Way to trivialize it.  He was traded cheap because everybody knew he wanted/expected a payday.  Just like Revis.  Cruz is going to want to get paid too.  That sweet, sweet Chunky soup money only goes so far. 

Tannenbaum's an incompetent assbag who set the Jets back a half-decade. Anything Tom says or believes about him is kinder than he deserves.

Give me a ******* break.  Woe is me! 

How did they ever win?  Horrible, joke coach, check. Awful QB, check.  Incompetent GM that set the franchise back 5 years check.  How do they even win a game, let alone playoff games? 

Way to trivialize it. He was traded cheap because everybody knew he wanted/expected a payday. Just like Revis. Cruz is going to want to get paid too. That sweet, sweet Chunky soup money only goes so far.

Holmes was dumped because he was a locker room cancer and a sociopath and Art Rooney needed a pelt to hang in the locker room after Roethlisberger went rape-crazy. Holmes got suspended for herb, Roooney flew back from Ireland, and Holmes was thrown out on his ear. Even your boy, CPA Big Drawers, said so:

"We understood that was part of it, but we just felt like even with that, it was worth it," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "Obviously, a guy with his production and at 26 years old, he would not have been available if these indiscretions didn't happen, and obviously the suspension. But, with that said, we just felt like the risk and the price was reasonable for us."

The fact that he was in a contract year and missing 1/4 of the season was unrelated. It was cancer

Michael V. Tannenbaum: "Obviously, a guy with his production and at 26 years old, he would not have been available if these indiscretions didn't happen..."

Michael V. Tannenbaum: "Obviously, a guy with his production and at 26 years old, he would not have been available if these indiscretions didn't happen..."

The point of that quote is that Holmes would have signed a huge contract in Pittsburgh. The fact that he was only locked up for 12 games is why it was a 5th.  Not the cancer.

The point of that quote is that Holmes would have signed a huge contract in Pittsburgh. The fact that he was only locked up for 12 games is why it was a 5th. Not the cancer.

How did you come away from that quote with anything about a contract?

Archived