Tavon Austin: "New York Jets have a plan for me"

F.Chowds

West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin has turned into perhaps the most interesting man in the world this week. Or at least New York City. In a draft lacking great top-shelf skill-position talent, Austin stands out.

That's why it would be such a shame if Austin was drafted by the least interesting offense in the NFL. Austin told Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger that New York Jets coach Rex Ryan showed particular interest.

"(Ryan) said he had a plan for me. I talked to the offensive coordinator (Marty Mornhinweg), and they said they like players like me who can bring big-play ability there," Austin told the Star-Ledger on Thursday.

Ryan even joked to Austin they would possibly use him on defensive plays. With picks No. 9 and 13 in the first round, it's hard to imagine the Jets not investing in some offensive firepower. That could be Austin, tight end Tyler Eifert, or possibly quarterback Geno Smith. (Of course, Austin could always get drafted by Buffalo before even getting to the Jets.)

"I met everybody, and they pretty much said they like me a lot, and hopefully we can make it happen," Austin said.

Then again, Austin knows that pre-draft talk usually isn't worth much.

"I'm just glad at the right time that my name's moving up," Austin said Wednesday. "But at the end of the day, it's about the GMs and the coaches. A lot of these analysts can say where I can go at, but sometimes nobody has a clue, so I'll just wait till tomorrow and see who picks my name and go from there."

Austin is right. Nobody has a clue where he'll go. We'd just be worried that the Jets wouldn't have a clue how best to use Austin in what looks like year where Ryan is set up for failure.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Know I am in the minority, but a first round of Austin and Eifert would hake me very happy.  A trade down with this same outcome would be ideal.  It is past time that we added playmaers to the offense.

You have the best idea on this board... you should be awarded a medal for that opinion.... I been screaming for offense for years..... Great defenses are disappearing... with new rules and all.... The comish seems to want this league to turn into a touch football league with more scoring.... just look at the super bowl....

Mayock on Dan Patrick saying the Jets should pull the trigger on Austin, Eifert or both.  Said if Austins there at 9 he's jumping on it.  Patrick agrees.

Also said he could go in the top 5 but sees him going to Bills at 8.  Said he's a good kid, never missed a game, never been in trouble, etc.

"I'm just glad at the right time that my name's moving up," Austin said Wednesday. "But at the end of the day, it's about the GMs and the coaches. A lot of these analysts can say where I can go at, but sometimes nobody has a clue, so I'll just wait till tomorrow and see who picks my name and go from there."

Austin is right. Nobody has a clue where he'll go. We'd just be worried that the Jets wouldn't have a clue how best to use Austin in what looks like year where Ryan is set up for failure.

The kid may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's dead-on balls accurate with that statement.  

Not a fan of Austin for the Jets, but I'm convinced if he is there at 13 the Jets will take him from a need stand point.  Worst things have happened. 

Worse things have definitely and could happen. I don't want him, but I would be much more OK with drafting him than say Smith or Nassib with either of the first two picks.

But he would be 7th or 8th on my list of who I think will be available when we draft.

Worse things have definitely and could happen. I don't want him, but I would be much more OK with drafting him than say Smith or Nassib with either of the first two picks.

But he would be 7th or 8th on my list of who I think will be available when we draft.

Agree 100%

if the Jets take Smith, Nassib, or any other QB in the first round, this will be a bad drunk instead of a happy one

As a small dude, what separates him that much from his predecessors? Is he another Marshall Faulk...or is he Rosco Parish?

A lot of these little dudes struggle in the league...that's what worries me.

It's not crazy to compare him to Desean Jackson or even a faster version of Santonio. Early Santana Moss is a good comparison for Jets fans. 

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
OK, he’s only 5-8, 174. So what? He’s a dynamic playmaker with 4.34 speed in the 40 who can score from anywhere. The Jets need to energize their fan base and their offense and getting the ball in Austin’s hands will do that — and help Mark Sanchez.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/myers-2013-nfl-mock-draft-complete-article-1.1326894#ixzz2RUV0sjgs

I really want Austin, I just don't see where he fits on the current roster. Can he play outside the numbers? You already have a young and upcoming slot receiver who put up 800+ yards last season.

You can add Jeremy Kerley to the list of names.  You do not pass a draft pick over for Kerley, Wilson, Austin Howard.  Same with EVERY single one of the guys that they signed this offseason.  If the Jets think Austin is special, they draft him and deal with Kerley later.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a problem of trying to get all our weapons on the field instead of not having any?

I really want Austin, I just don't see where he fits on the current roster. Can he play outside the numbers? You already have a young and upcoming slot receiver who put up 800+ yards last season.

No.  He will never get off the line in the NFL.   

You can add Jeremy Kerley to the list of names.  You do not pass a draft pick over for Kerley, Wilson, Austin Howard.  Same with EVERY single one of the guys that they signed this offseason.  If the Jets think Austin is special, they draft him and deal with Kerley later.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a problem of trying to get all our weapons on the field instead of not having any?

I suppose, but I would not compare Kerley to Austin Howard or Kyle Wilson. He's flying under the radar as one of the best slot receivers in the game.

As a small dude, what separates him that much from his predecessors? Is he another Marshall Faulk...or is he Rosco Parish?

A lot of these little dudes struggle in the league...that's what worries me.

He looks great, and maybe as a pro he'll be Tavon Awesome, but you make a good point and legit concern.  What I ask myself is would Austin still be a candidate for being a top 10-15 pick if he came out the same year as more conventional highly-drafted WR prospects?

I'm not saying Austin will have Parish's forgettable NFL career, but when Parrish was drafted there was Braylon (#3), Troy Williamson (#7), Mike Williams (#10), The Freak (#21), Mark Clayton (#22), Roddy White (#27), and Reggie Brown (#35) -- all as first round or borderline first round picks.  Parrish (whose 40 time was virtually identical to Austin's: 4.37 vs 4.34) went #55, and the Bolts took VJ at #61.  A couple of other guys went in the 2nd round as well.  So however they all turned out as pros, at the time it was thought to be quite the super-deep WR class.

Just by the numbers alone, Austin had a far more noteworthy college career than Parrish.  But even still, would anyone have breathed a whisper of Tavon Austin as a top 15 pick (let alone pick #9) in that '05 draft class? I think there's about a zero chance, and the very notion would be laughed at.

And given that I've heard this rationale with enough players over the years, I'll bet there were some Falcons fans screaming post-draft that they'd have been better off taking the 2nd-best DT or whatever than the 6th-best WR who already turns 24 as a rookie.  Or if a team needed a beast WR they'd have been crazy to trade down out of the top 10, pick up another 1st or more along the way, and draft the 6th best WR because "what we [they] need is a playmaker not trade down for a couple of JAGs."  Got to hand it to Atlanta's draft room think tank.  They knew when to relax, stay pat, and let Roddy White fall to them, and when to pounce and trade way up to draft Julio Jones.

I can see being concerned with Austin, but I agree the presence of Jeremy Kerley is a non-reason to pass up on him.  

Jets are a 'joke' because... why again? Because they have so many criminals on the team? No. Because they spent a 4th round pick on Tebow as a backup QB after he led his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs the year prior? But let me get this straight: Denver wasn't a joke for spending a 1st on him when he was coming out of college (before that run he had with them)? Because of this regime's record of 34-30, or 38-32 if you include the 6 playoff games? Or is it just because of last year's record of 6-10 which put them as the 9th worst team in the league for just one season? Or they're a 'glorified expansion team' because they lost Landry, Bell (meh), Pouha (who barely played last year), Revis (who didn't play), DeVito, Keller (who barely played) and Moore? Eh, whatever. People are gonna believe what they want to, just gotta focus on getting this team back to the success they had in the first two years of the regime. Jets need to trade down because they 'have so many holes', but the 8 teams above them don't? Buffalo doesn't have more holes? Then why have they finished behind us every year for the past 4 years - hell, they haven't made the playoffs in 13+ years. We've made it at least 6-7 times in that same time frame.

Archived