Potential Day 3 Targets.

BroadwayJoe12

Rounds 1-3 are in the book and seeing as how we traded our 4th for Chris Ivory, we will be waiting until round five to make our next selection.  I have a handful guys that I would have been itching to draft in the 4th, now it appears highly unlikely they last until the 5th, but who knows, crazier things have happened.  What are the guys everyone else is looking at?

In no particular order:

Quinton Patton -  Not idea how he's lasted this long, maybe there's a medical or character flag that I do not know about, but at 6' 205 lbs with incredible hands, I would have imagined he would have been off the board in the 2nd or 3rd.  He dropped something around 3 of 150 targets and reminds me a lot of a Reggie Wayne with a little Hakeem nicks in him.  No way he lasts until the 5th round, but if he does, you run that card up there.

Cornelius Washington - Had a break out year the season prior when he was finally allowed to start, but the Georgia decided to switch him to 34 DE instead of his natural OLB position where he succeeded the prior season.  Apparently the Jets were very high on this kid; once again, I doubt he lasts until our 5th round pick, but if so, another one you run up to the podium.

Alex Okafor - By all accounts he seems to have a tremendous upside if drafted by a 34 team to play OLB.  I personally would like to surround Smith with some talent, but if he's there and there's no one of comparable offensive value, Okafor has intriguing measureables and high upside to certainly warrant the selection.

Da'Rick Rogers - insane amounts of baggage, but he could be one of the most physically gifted receivers in this class, if not the most physically gifted. Rumors are that he at least manned up for his mistakes and talks about growing up.  Although it's probably the riskiest of the picks, he's probably my favorite player left on the board and to get his type of talent this late in the draft would be insane.  I can't imagine him falling any further than the middle of the 4th, but hey, those QBs and RBs have to be taken at some point and maybe he does fall.  It'd be an absolute coup.  6'3, 220 lbs, 4.5 40, 11' broad jump, 40 inch vert and some impressive agility drills.  The kid is just insanely explosive for his size.  I really feel he's going to make some team insanely happy in the 4th round.

Barrett Jones - Will probably play guard at the next level, but could excell probably any of the interior line spots, not to mention could play all 5 positions on the line in an emergency.  Multiple time national champion, all at different positions, who's smart, hard-working and would be a solid day 3 selection.  Minimal upside, probably has already peaked, but someone who will be in the league for the next decade.

Alvin Bailey - Following in suit with Jones, another very impressive offensive lineman. Although with Bailey, you have a more physically impressive player who is a tremendous athlete for his side. Often asked to pull and get to the second level, he has the athleticism to succeed in a zbs I would imagine.  Could be one of the few that lasts to the 5th as there was talk he should have stayed another year at Arkansas.  Would not be entirely upset of going OG, OG if that's where the value was.  I would be upset if any of the other players on my "board" were still available however. 

Jesse Williams - Extremely versatile dlineman, who has championship pedigree and experience playing up and down the defensive line.  Very surprised he dropped this far and is going to make a team quite happy on day three.  Offers scheme versatility as he can probably plut UT in a 4 man front or swing out and play the 5 tech in a 3 man front. 

Johnathan Franklin - Honestly, I'm beyond surprised he's still available.  It wasn't too long ago that he was being talked about as being the first RB off the board in the first round ahead of Lacy and co.  While it's gotta suck for the Bruin, he could wind up on a good team and end up being the most successful back his rookie year, he's got that kind of talent.  

And of course (not for us) Nassib/Barkley/Bray/Wilson.

The Jets (almost certainly) have an extra third next year from the Revis deal, and potentially as high as a supplementary fourth for LaRon Landry. I think if there's a player they really like anywhere in the fourth at TE or WR, they should seriously consider trading their next year's third for a fourth rounder this year. They are just so absent of talent at those positions that if they see someone they like, they almost have to make a move.

The Jets (almost certainly) have an extra third next year from the Revis deal, and potentially as high as a supplementary fourth for LaRon Landry. I think if there's a player they really like anywhere in the fourth at TE or WR, they should seriously consider trading their next year's third for a fourth rounder this year. They are just so absent of talent at those positions that if they see someone they like, they almost have to make a move.

I agree, Slats.

I this the reason they've been conservative this off-season in how they've acquired veterans (see: minimal free agent signings) is because they saw the opportunity to load up on comp picks next year. That being the case, I'd be okay with them flipping a future pick for a current year pick IF there's someone they truly believe can make a difference.

Otherwise I'm content with them finishing this year's roster augmentation in undrafted and post-draft free agency. There are vets with some juice still available.

Two guys to keep an eye on:

1. Connor Vernon, WR, Duke: Idzik himself was a Duke WR. Vernon was highly productive, is smaht, and can run the drags and slants that will bail out his QB on third down. GRIT LEVEL ALPHA. Should be available in the 5th

2. Ryan Griffin, TE, UCONN: Big (6'5, 260) pass-catching TE who is also a willing blocker. Might need to deal back into the fifth.

Still talent available

My third day wish list:

Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama

Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio State

Tavarres King, WR, Georgia

Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M

Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State

Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford

there are a few guys i hope reach to us in the 5th / 6th

Ryan Swope WR Texas A&M is the guy i really want us to get. he has loads of potential to be a solid WR for years to come.

Joseph Fauria TE UCLA, nephew to Christian Fauria fromer te of the Pats. he is a good blocker & pass catcher

Jonathon Franklin RB UCLA , as was previously said i am shocked he has lasted this long. i doubt he lasts on the board till the 5th

Miguel Maysonet RB Stoneybrook , likely a late round flyer but he can be a big surprise.

Ace Sanders WR South Carolina , electric returner and could develop into a decent starting wr

Chase Thomas OLB Stanford , good playmaking OLB

Kasheem Greene OLB Rutgers , good run stuffing OLB 

Two guys to keep an eye on:

1. Connor Vernon, WR, Duke: Idzik himself was a Duke WR. Vernon was highly productive, is smaht, and can run the drags and slants that will bail out his QB on third down. GRIT LEVEL ALPHA. Should be available in the 5th

2. Ryan Griffin, TE, UCONN: Big (6'5, 260) pass-catching TE who is also a willing blocker. Might need to deal back into the fifth.

Both good names, but how about Denard Robinson?

here are a couple names of guys i like

Barrett Jones, OL

Robert Lester, S

Nico Johnson, ILB (love these alabama guys)

Kasheem Greene, OLB

Kenny Tate, OLB

Alex Okafor, OLB

Quinton Patton, WR (played in a similar system as WVU)

Da'rick Rodgers, WR

Joe Fauria, TE

Archived