Anyone see Cimini's accidental tweet?

Maxman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to be about Jane McManus, no?

That is what people are saying.  I wasn't following it all that close but apparently Jane is covering minicamp and he isn't.  So that seems to make sense....brutal though to blast a co-worker like that.  Total coward.

That is what people are saying. I wasn't following it all that close but apparently Jane is covering minicamp and he isn't. So that seems to make sense....brutal though to blast a co-worker like that. Total coward.

He's always been mad that he's never reached Gary Myers-status, where he gets to write three mindless columns per week while getting Lupica money. Instead, he's gotta drag his ass over to Florham Park every day like a beat hack. McManus does the same thing, but she's got a significantly higher profile already at ESPN. And she's hot.

He's always been mad that he's never reached Gary Myers-status, where he gets to write three mindless columns per week while getting Lupica money. Instead, he's gotta drag his ass over to Florham Park every day like a beat hack. McManus does the same thing, but she's got a significantly higher profile already at ESPN. And she's hot.

True.  Rich told us in an online chat all those years ago that he wouldn't cover the Jets if they moved to NJ.  Yeah, how did that work out for you Rich?

He was smart enough to leave the NY Daily News and jump to ESPN.  But I definitely agree with what you said.  He always wanted to be a national columnist and it never worked out.  He is a really good writer, he breaks things down well and actually knows football.  But the negativity will get him in the end.

True. Rich told us in an online chat all those years ago that he wouldn't cover the Jets if they moved to NJ. Yeah, how did that work out for you Rich?

He was smart enough to leave the NY Daily News and jump to ESPN. But I definitely agree with what you said. He always wanted to be a national columnist and it never worked out. He is a really good writer, he breaks things down well and actually knows football. But the negativity will get him in the end.

Cimini hate and Mehta hate are silly, and are the product of killing the messenger. The Mets beat guys get the same label. They report "negative" stories because the team produces negative stories. This is why reporters try to get onto the Giants and Yankee beats, so they don't have to spend their lives getting derided for reporting on the incessant failings of the teams they cover.

It would be an interesting exercise for an enterprising Jets fan to go back through the Cimini and Mehta and Cannizzaro oeuvres and find all the allegedly negative articles that didn't align with reality.

T0mShane hate is silly, and is the product of killing the messenger. The Mets beat guys get the same label. They report "negative" stories because the team produces negative stories. This is why reporters try to get onto the Giants and Yankee beats, so they don't have to spend their lives getting derided for reporting on the incessant failings of the teams they cover.

It would be an interesting exercise for an enterprising Jets fan to go back through the T0mShane oeuvres and find all the allegedly negative posts that didn't align with reality.

I see right thru you, T0mShane. RIGHT THRU YOU!

I remember when Cimini was a beat reporter for Newsday. He basically hasn't gotten a promotion in over twenty years.

Ouch.  Did he really work for Newsday before the Daily News?  I don't even remember that.

Cimini hate and Mehta hate are silly, and are the product of killing the messenger. The Mets beat guys get the same label. They report "negative" stories because the team produces negative stories. This is why reporters try to get onto the Giants and Yankee beats, so they don't have to spend their lives getting derided for reporting on the incessant failings of the teams they cover.

It would be an interesting exercise for an enterprising Jets fan to go back through the Cimini and Mehta and Cannizzaro oeuvres and find all the allegedly negative articles that didn't align with reality.

Cimini:  He really seems happy when the Jets do bad.  Like it brings him joy.

Mehta:  The guy knows squat about football. 

To the 100 + people that are visiting us from Twitter right now, you can post here with your Twitter account.  Just click register and tell us what you think about Rich Cimini.  We would love to hear from you.  Thanks.

Rich Cimini

‏@RichCimini

I'd like to extend a sincere apology for an

inappropriate tweet from earlier today. It

was unprofessional and I regret it.

12:12 PM - 11 May 13

lmao @ sincere... the only sincerity he has is that he's sincerely sorry he  got caught..

Cimini hate and Mehta hate are silly, and are the product of killing the messenger. The Mets beat guys get the same label. They report "negative" stories because the team produces negative stories. 

Agree and disagree with this. The Jets are, for the most part, a clownshoes organization with more leaks than a Flomax ad, so of course most of the stories will be negative, but Mehta and Cimini are ungodly terrible journalists. Mehta's water-carrying for Rex down the stretch last season was embarrassing, and the next time he names a source, it'll be his first. Cimini gets to the Geno story a week later than everyone else, and when he does, his evidence for corroborating the rumors is a.) an anonymous NFC scout saying "right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat" and b.) "an official from one team--not a team that visited with Smith--said the cell-phone episode was mentioned and discussed in its draft room while evaluating Smith." To be clear, he's not asking teams for accounts of their experiences with Geno. He's asking them how they feel about what they've heard about Geno in re: a story that was largely manufactured to begin with. He's asking scouts for f**king media criticism. There's not an ounce of journalistic ethics, accountability, or common sense between the two of them. Thirty-one teams in the league have sports reporters. The Jets have tabloid reporters who happen to cover sports.

lmao @ sincere... the only sincerity he has is that he's sincerely sorry he  got caught..

This.

Will be interesting how ESPN handles this.  They have a rule against publicly criticizing co-employers with a short suspension being the usual punishment.  It happened recently with Bill Simmons when he criticized the Bayless-Sherman interviewvia twitter.

Almost everyone who covers the Jets that I have dealt with or chatted with over email, DM, Twitter, etc... really has been great even when there is disagreement, except Cimini. Hes ripped things Ive done not because its wrong but because you know it might contradict something he has written about. And not to my email either but to others. I dont really get that at all. He hit a low point with me back in March with this one:

Here was what I wrote on March 5 in regards to Revis' payments in a trade

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2013_Articles/trade-timeline.html

March 16 ESPN NY posted this 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21565/revis-collects-1-million

Coincidences happen but wow that was basically identical. I had more than a share of emails and tweets over that one when people recognized the charts as one that I wrote the week before. Whether Cimini got the idea on his own I have no clue but his track record over the last few years has been in the dumps. And this last one he just posted on Twitter is just so bad. I hope people remember that the next time he picks on some athlete for posting something dumb on Twitter. 

Almost everyone who covers the Jets that I have dealt with or chatted with over email, DM, Twitter, etc... really has been great even when there is disagreement, except Cimini. Hes ripped things Ive done not because its wrong but because you know it might contradict something he has written about. And not to my email either but to others. I dont really get that at all. He hit a low point with me back in March with this one:

Here was what I wrote on March 5 in regards to Revis' payments in a trade

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2013_Articles/trade-timeline.html

March 16 ESPN NY posted this 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21565/revis-collects-1-million

Coincidences happen but wow that was basically identical. I had more than a share of emails and tweets over that one when people recognized the charts as one that I wrote the week before. Whether Cimini got the idea on his own I have no clue but his track record over the last few years has been in the dumps. And this last one he just posted on Twitter is just so bad. I hope people remember that the next time he picks on some athlete for posting something dumb on Twitter. 

Jason - I don't see what your problem is, he waited and removed the March 17th part.  Geez you made it sound like it was word for word, lol.  :)

Cimini used to read JN a lot, for awhile he read everything that was written here.  You would think just once he would throw a credit out there but it might hurt to admit that people that do this from the outside have good info.

Jason you do such a great job, it is amazing that his article looked so similar to yours.  Seems to be much more than a coincidence.

Archived