Anyone see Cimini's accidental tweet?

Maxman

This.

Will be interesting how ESPN handles this.  They have a rule against publicly criticizing co-employers with a short suspension being the usual punishment.  It happened recently with Bill Simmons when he criticized the Bayless-Sherman interviewvia twitter.

With no tweet from Cimini since the apology, the thought that he might actually be in trouble over this actually seems like a real possibility.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With no tweet from Cimini since the apology, the thought that he might actually be in trouble over this actually seems like a real possibility.

Maybe he should check to see if Newsday's sports department is hiring.

Agree and disagree with this. The Jets are, for the most part, a clownshoes organization with more leaks than a Flomax ad, so of course most of the stories will be negative, but Mehta and Cimini are ungodly terrible journalists. Mehta's water-carrying for Rex down the stretch last season was embarrassing, and the next time he names a source, it'll be his first. Cimini gets to the Geno story a week later than everyone else, and when he does, his evidence for corroborating the rumors is a.) an anonymous NFC scout saying "right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat" and b.) "an official from one team--not a team that visited with Smith--said the cell-phone episode was mentioned and discussed in its draft room while evaluating Smith." To be clear, he's not asking teams for accounts of their experiences with Geno. He's asking them how they feel about what they've heard about Geno in re: a story that was largely manufactured to begin with. He's asking scouts for f**king media criticism. There's not an ounce of journalistic ethics, accountability, or common sense between the two of them. Thirty-one teams in the league have sports reporters. The Jets have tabloid reporters who happen to cover sports.

Ehhhhhhh, Boston is that way too, with Shaughnessy and Borges being absolute sh*tbirds. I realize it's not great journalism, per se, but it's what people read and what sells. It's why nobody talks about the NYT reporters, even though they mostly do serious, insightful stuff on the teams week in and week out. My point is that Mehta and Cimini don't have to work very hard to find absurd Jets stories, the same way Adam Rubin doesn't have to put any effort into writing negative Mets stories. Those stories are delivered to these guys hot and fresh every morning. All they need to do is make a few phone calls, get a few corroborating quotes and, boom, there's another negative Jets story. It'll be interesting to see how/if that changes under Idzik, who seems to be fairly conscious of keeping internal BS out of the papers. Mehta and Rich will have to work a little harder to find salacious angles...maybe.

Ehhhhhhh, Boston is that way too, with Shaughnessy and Borges being absolute sh*tbirds. I realize it's not great journalism, per se, but it's what people read and what sells. It's why nobody talks about the NYT reporters, even though they mostly do serious, insightful stuff on the teams week in and week out. My point is that Mehta and Cimini don't have to work very hard to find absurd Jets stories, the same way Adam Rubin doesn't have to put any effort into writing negative Mets stories. Those stories are delivered to these guys hot and fresh every morning. All they need to do is make a few phone calls, get a few corroborating quotes and, boom, there's another negative Jets story. It'll be interesting to see how/if that changes under Idzik, who seems to be fairly conscious of keeping internal BS out of the papers. Mehta and Rich will have to work a little harder to find salacious angles...maybe.

Agree with all this. You know I don't go in for the self-pitying "ZOMG TEH MEDIAZ" crap. But the fact that the Jets lend themselves to negative coverage and the fact that a good number of our beat reporters are shameless hacks aren't mutually exclusive propositions.

Almost everyone who covers the Jets that I have dealt with or chatted with over email, DM, Twitter, etc... really has been great even when there is disagreement, except Cimini. Hes ripped things Ive done not because its wrong but because you know it might contradict something he has written about. And not to my email either but to others. I dont really get that at all. He hit a low point with me back in March with this one:

Here was what I wrote on March 5 in regards to Revis' payments in a trade

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2013_Articles/trade-timeline.html

March 16 ESPN NY posted this 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21565/revis-collects-1-million

Coincidences happen but wow that was basically identical. I had more than a share of emails and tweets over that one when people recognized the charts as one that I wrote the week before. Whether Cimini got the idea on his own I have no clue but his track record over the last few years has been in the dumps. And this last one he just posted on Twitter is just so bad. I hope people remember that the next time he picks on some athlete for posting something dumb on Twitter. 

Plagiarism? Really?

Like anyone would give a rat's ass and hold it against him if he just referenced either of your sites, which kick ass.

And then he's a dick to you on top of it? What a lowlife.

Plagiarism? Really?

Like anyone would give a rat's ass and hold it against him if he just referenced either of your sites, which kick ass.

Somebody told me that Rich is a narcissist.  I have no idea if that is true, I don't know him personally.  But if it was true, that would explain why he couldn't give Jason credit.  

Agree with all this. You know I don't go in for the self-pitying "ZOMG TEH MEDIAZ" crap. But the fact that the Jets lend themselves to negative coverage and the fact that a good number of our beat reporters are shameless hacks aren't mutually exclusive propositions.

True indeed. Maxman's obsessive hatred is not based in any sort of logic, however. He's weird like that.

Plagiarism? Really?

With even the most casual fans of teams starting to discuss cap space, it's a wonder that the Post, Daily News, etc, doesn't give a guy like Jason a 500 word column each week to explain where the Giants and Jets are at any given time. Instead, they just ask Cimini and Mehta to pirate the info and pretend that they have a grasp of what they're talking about.

Somebody told me that Rich is a narcissist.  I have no idea if that is true, I don't know him personally.  But if it was true, that would explain why he couldn't give Jason credit.  

A reliable source? A person with knowledge of the situation?

hahaha

See what I did there?

True.  Rich told us in an online chat all those years ago that he wouldn't cover the Jets if they moved to NJ.  Yeah, how did that work out for you Rich?

He was smart enough to leave the NY Daily News and jump to ESPN.  But I definitely agree with what you said.  He always wanted to be a national columnist and it never worked out.  He is a really good writer, he breaks things down well and actually knows football.  But the negativity will get him in the end.

isnt this the 2nd 'messed up' thing? wasnt it determined he was the 'fake steiney'?? and had to apologize privately to steiney?

Knowing our luck, he'll get fired and Manish will get his spot at ESPN :(

maybe cimini doesn't hate the jets, maybe he's a bitter angry douche to everyobody ?

I'll give Rich this much credit...he takes any abuse he gets on Twitter like a man (for the most part).  If you criticize him, he'll usually reply for everyone to see, and doesn't hit behind his computer.  Unlike that bastard Mehta.  Every time I criticized something he wrote, it was always a DM back to me, yet I couldn't DM him.  Eventually, I Tweeted to him that my anonymous sources told me his anonymous sources are full of sh*t, and then he blocked me, and even got his butt-buddy Gary Myers to block me too.  Fortunately people still RT what they post so it's not like it's affecting my ability to still read their sh*t lol.

Jets players should ask him about this tweet everytime he interviews any of them for the whole year....turn the tables a little bit!

Just a simple "How is Twitter these days Rich?" would suffice :)

Just a simple "How is Twitter these days Rich?" would suffice :)

No I want them to pry like the media does:

Rich, have you spoken to her and apologzied? How did she react? Do you still sit together in the ESPN lunchroom? Has this caused a divide in the ESPN staff? What did you mean by "sh*t"?

Oh and ask the same questions every single time they see him for the whole year!

No I want them to pry like the media does:

Rich, have you spoken to her and apologzied? How did she react? Do you still sit together in the ESPN lunchroom? Has this caused a divide in the ESPN staff? What did you mean by "sh*t"?

Oh and ask the same questions every single time they see him for the whole year!

Unfortunately, I have a feeling the other idiot beat writers would defend Cimini and rip the Jets' players who would do it.  I'd love it though.

Wonder if Richy boy is in trouble, hasn't posted single thing since the apology four days ago.  Not even a word about Garrard stepping down; I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to take a vacation for a bit.

I was thinking the same thing....no way he would pass up bashing the Jets for Garrard leaving

Wonder if Richy boy is in trouble, hasn't posted single thing since the apology four days ago. Not even a word about Garrard stepping down; I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to take a vacation for a bit.

Good catch, but that's not really ESPN's way. They love to make a spectacle of disciplining their staff and writers. Unless it's an out-and-out termination, they'd have issued five press releases talking about their zeal for journalistic ethics.

That would explain, well, everything. His writing just wreaks of self important douchery

This is who wrote the Jets articles...

Kieran Darcy is a staff writer for ESPNNewYork.com, covering college sports in particular. He joined ESPN in August of 2000, after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania, where he played four years of JV basketball for the Quakers.

He did write an article saying Cribbs wasn't healthy:  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/23325/cribbs-knee-not-healthy-yet

Then they had Kiernan post that Cribbs signed with the Raiders, lol:  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/23331/cribbs-signs-with-raiders

looks like as of tuesday he was still writing on his blog, which is what the Cribbs piece is.  He has not done any articals though.

F him, just sounds like such a penis.

Archived