Camp Tweets 8-6

flgreen

I'm not sure I see your point.  Is it that I don't like Sanchez?  That's pretty clear.  Pretty much everything about his career makes me feel comfortable in that position.

I hope Geno is better.  We'll see.  Thus far, I know 0 about Geno as an NFL QB.  Hopefully we'll learn more soon.

I also hope Geno is better. I hope he starts and is awesomer than Tom Brady. 

What we hope and what happens are two different things. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also hope Geno is better. I hope he starts and is awesomer than Tom Brady. 

What we hope and what happens are two different things. 

Still not sure what your point is.  Besides that you've judged him a failure before he's thrown an actual NFL pass.

Not doing so, is the equivalent of being a Geno Lover it seems.

Still not sure what your point is.  Besides that you've judged him a failure before he's thrown an actual NFL pass.

Not doing so, is the equivalent of being a Geno Lover it seems.

Its great how everyone is so involved in my motivations, my agenda and my feelings. And things I've said 12 years ago. It's really great to have so many people playing shrink. I'm touched. Really. 

Geno isn't a failure, he's just not ready for primetime. Hoping that he is doesn't change the fact he's super raw and coming out of the Air Raid. Unless the Jets want to run an Air Raid he can't play for a good long while.  that's why he went 39. Not cause he sucks. But because he isn't a day 1 starter. 

Its great how everyone is so involved in my motivations, my agenda and my feelings. And things I've said 12 years ago. It's really great to have so many people playing shrink. I'm touched. Really. 

Geno isn't a failure, he's just not ready for primetime. Hoping that he is doesn't change the fact he's super raw and coming out of the Air Raid. Unless the Jets want to run an Air Raid he can't play for a good long while.  that's why he went 39. Not cause he sucks. But because he isn't a day 1 starter. 

Not debating any of this.  So, STILL not sure what you're point is.  Truth is, you swung and missed trying to play shrink assuming I'm a "Geno Lover", and rather than just admitting it, you've spent pages spinning nonsense and hoping to find a point among the hypocrisy laden dribble.

As for "playing shrink"... well........

in 2012 Geno Smith had a 5 game losing streak and then took 2 safeties in a loss to Syracuse in the pinstripe bowl. 

Ripping apart Sanchez isn't the same as proving Geno is good.  

this competition is between two below avg players. Sanchez doesn't have to out run the bear he just has to outrun Geno. 

You're now comparing Syracuse wins to Sanchez's stats in the NFL.  That's like comparing a college pitchers wins in double-A trenton to the FIP of Clayton Kershaw in the bigs....it's an irrelevant argument.  

And then once again with this theory that if a rookie can't beat out a 4 year starter, then he is and never will be better than said starter.  You're defending sanchez by tearing down geno, the same thing you've be accusing the Geno guys for doing.  

This has got to be one of the most absurdly incorrect things you have written, which is saying a lot.

Well it's a free message board and you get what you pay for. there's an ignore function I suggest you use it. 

Or how about you stop trolling the board with your repetitive crap?  Or stop arguing every point that's made even though you don't believe what you're saying and provide no facts to back you up?

what would you call a QB who can't beat out Sanchez? above average? 

Marky Mark is guaranteed $8M this season so your argument is completely flawed.  

If the Jets could cut Mark today and owe him nothing do you honestly believe he would still be on the team?   

Marky Mark is guaranteed $8M this season so your argument is completely flawed.  

If the Jets could cut Mark today and owe him nothing do you honestly believe he would still be on the team?   

Yes.  

If you asked this question three months ago, with a healthy David Garrard on roster, the answer might be "no".  But back then, with a spare $8.8M in his back pocket, we could have flirted with Kevin Kolb (being outplayed by Manuel), Matt Flynn (being tightly contested by an UDFA), or Vince Young (because he had some familiarity with MM), and then we could have gone into the season with Geno, Garrard, and (pick one from above).  Does that make anyone feel better?  

Mark has tainted the team with poor play, and even poorer publicity due to that one play. If nothing else, Idzik would've dumped him just to change the culture of the team/locker room, similar to his handling of Tim Tebow. However, two things got in the way:

(1) Tanny gave Sanchez an expensive extension, during a roster recession.  We can't afford to dump him, not money-wise, not talent-wise. 

(2) Better options never presented themselves, and those that "did" retired on us, or are stinking up the joint in their respective landing spots.

Yes.  

If you asked this question three months ago, with a healthy David Garrard on roster, the answer might be "no".  But back then, with a spare $8.8M in his back pocket, we could have flirted with Kevin Kolb (being outplayed by Manuel), Matt Flynn (being tightly contested by an UDFA), or Vince Young (because he had some familiarity with MM), and then we could have gone into the season with Geno, Garrard, and (pick one from above).  Does that make anyone feel better?  

Mark has tainted the team with poor play, and even poorer publicity due to that one play. If nothing else, Idzik would've dumped him just to change the culture of the team/locker room, similar to his handling of Tim Tebow. However, two things got in the way:

(1) Tanny gave Sanchez an expensive extension, during a roster recession.  We can't afford to dump him, not money-wise, not talent-wise. 

(2) Better options never presented themselves, and those that "did" retired on us, or are stinking up the joint in their respective landing spots.

But what about how good he is at interviews?

But what about how good he is at interviews?

hahaa...Why you mad, brah?  Serious question. 

Are you more upset that: (1) Sanchez is on our team, (2) He's soaking up so much cap space, or (3) he's under performing?

If it's #1:

For all intents and purposes, he's a great teammate. He's the first player in, the last guy out.  He's a tireless worker and goes out of his way to take on the role of being a New York quarterback. Before last year, he displayed that he could improve from season to season, and has been developing his professional skills, both on the clock and on his own dime.   

If it's #2:

You're allocating your anger in the wrong direction. Can't fault a man for taking more money than he's worth; that's on his employer.  Perhaps it's selfish of him to accept that kind of dough, knowing he isn't meeting expectations.  But truth be told I'd do the same.  I might even "hook my employer up" by converting some of my salary into a bonus.  But that's the humanitarian in me.  

If it's #3:

That's also on his employer.  Because like it or not, Mark Sanchez has been the best QB on our roster for the last four years.  We finally spent something significant on a QB (a 2nd round pick not named Kellen Clemens).  

Is it possible you just don't like the Jets?

Perhaps you not getting the JN-Captain nod is seeping into your subconscious, and you're taking it out on Mark because of a couple interceptions, fumbles, and embarrassing SportsCenter highlights.  I get it.  Mark is the fall man. But here's the deal.  Our ENTIRE team has sucked for the last year and a half.  I've seen our defense lose us games.  I've seen our ST coverage units lose us games.  I've seen players drop passes, I've seen mis-tackles, and fumbles a plenty. 

Mark is still the QB of my favorite football team and until he gets passed up, and I will throw my support behind him and optimistically hope for the best.  

hahaa...Why you mad, brah?  Serious question. 

Are you more upset that: (1) Sanchez is on our team, (2) He's soaking up so much cap space, or (3) he's under performing?

If it's #1:

For all intents and purposes, he's a great teammate. He's the first player in, the last guy out.  He's a tireless worker and goes out of his way to take on the role of being a New York quarterback. Before last year, he displayed that he could improve from season to season, and has been developing his professional skills, both on the clock and on his own dime.   

If it's #2:

You're allocating your anger in the wrong direction. Can't fault a man for taking more money than he's worth; that's on his employer.  Perhaps it's selfish of him to accept that kind of dough, knowing he isn't meeting expectations.  But truth be told I'd do the same.  I might even "hook my employer up" by converting some of my salary into a bonus.  But that's the humanitarian in me.  

If it's #3:

That's also on his employer.  Because like it or not, Mark Sanchez has been the best QB on our roster for the last four years.  We finally spent something significant on a QB (a 2nd round pick not named Kellen Clemens).  

Is it possible you just don't like the Jets?

Perhaps you not getting the JN-Captain nod is seeping into your subconscious, and you're taking it out on Mark because of a couple interceptions, fumbles, and embarrassing SportsCenter highlights.  I get it.  Mark is the fall man. But here's the deal.  Our ENTIRE team has sucked for the last year and a half.  I've seen our defense lose us games.  I've seen our ST coverage units lose us games.  I've seen players drop passes, I've seen mis-tackles, and fumbles a plenty. 

Mark is still the QB of my favorite football team and until he gets passed up, and I will throw my support behind him and optimistically hope for the best.  

Why do I have to pick one?  How about all of the above?  He's a bad QB, given a bad extension, by a bad GM.

As for the nonsense at the end, I am the JN Captain, whether the votes like it or not.  And, the rest of the dribble would make sense if I didn't think Mark was an awful QB since the moment he entered the league, and not just based on last year.  His stats back that up significantly and just because the rest of the team has gotten worse, doesn't mean Mark Sanchez doesn't suck.

"a couple interceptions and fumbles"... that's how you describe the league leader in turnovers.  Honestly, the buttfumble is meaningless save the fact that it's hilarious.  No pocket presence, horrid accuracy, almost no ability to protect the football, and almost no ability to read a defense, is what makes Sanchez an abomination, not one stupid play, hilarious as it may be.  If it weren't for Blaine Gabbert, there'd be no one you could really even argue is worse.

Why do I have to pick one?  How about all of the above?  He's a bad QB, given a bad extension, by a bad GM.

As for the nonsense at the end, I am the JN Captain, whether the votes like it or not.  And, the rest of the dribble would make sense if I didn't think Mark was an awful QB since the moment he entered the league, and not just based on last year.  His stats back that up significantly and just because the rest of the team has gotten worse, doesn't mean Mark Sanchez doesn't suck.

"a couple interceptions and fumbles"... that's how you describe the league leader in turnovers.  Honestly, the buttfumble is meaningless save the fact that it's hilarious.  No pocket presence, horrid accuracy, almost no ability to protect the football, and almost no ability to read a defense, is what makes Sanchez an abomination, not one stupid play, hilarious as it may be.  If it weren't for Blaine Gabbert, there'd be no one you could really even argue is worse.

I'd rather have Gabbert over Sanchize.

He's a bad QB, given a bad extension, by a bad GM.

...playing a team sport, on a bad team.  

Is this how you plan on ruling your pseudo Captaincy? By agreeing with trolls and pointing the finger at Mark Sanchez? Cause, he'd actually shoulder a lot of the blame for our team's downfall.  Did he throw a lot of int's?  Yes, a lot. ( pardon me for being cheeky when I said "a couple"). However, an interception doesn't just fall on the QB.  You know that.  Even the greats throw the occasional errant pass.  (Drew Brees lead the league, last year). Did he fumble a lot? Yes, a lot.  However, a strip fumble doesn't just fall on the QB. You know that.  3rd/4th string TEs who miss their chip block on a free blitzer deserve some blame, as do OTs who gave up an inordinate number of sacks this last year. 

I saw a deer in the headlights during some games last year (David Carr syndrome).  That tends to happen when your WRs don't get open, and your OL stops blocking, and your OC can't allocate extra protection or scheme a sour game--right.  Instead of pulling Sanchez and let him regain his composure, they left him in there.  That falls on the head coach.  You know that.  

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Mark doesn't have what it takes to carry this team. He especially doesn't have what it takes to make scrubs win football games.  But surround him with a decent OL, give him an actual game plan and some weaponz...and maybe we can stop talking about how much his stats suck, and we can go back to winning football games.  

Now Geno is a below  average player- a guy that in the middle of last season was in the Heisman race and was still one of the top QB in his class draft. He may end up lousy but to dump as below average-common Bit

to be fair i'm not sure bitonti has admited yet that gholston was the wrong pick

Is this how you plan on ruling your pseudo Captaincy? By agreeing with trolls and pointing the finger at Mark Sanchez? Cause, he'd actually shoulder a lot of the blame for our team's downfall.  Did he throw a lot of int's?  Yes, a lot. ( pardon me for being cheeky when I said "a couple"). However, an interception doesn't just fall on the QB.  You know that.  Even the greats throw the occasional errant pass.  (Drew Brees lead the league, last year). Did he fumble a lot? Yes, a lot.  However, a strip fumble doesn't just fall on the QB. You know that.  3rd/4th string TEs who miss their chip block on a free blitzer deserve some blame, as do OTs who gave up an inordinate number of sacks this last year. 

I saw a deer in the headlights during some games last year (David Carr syndrome).  That tends to happen when your WRs don't get open, and your OL stops blocking, and your OC can't allocate extra protection or scheme a sour game--right.  Instead of pulling Sanchez and let him regain his composure, they left him in there.  That falls on the head coach.  You know that.  

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Mark doesn't have what it takes to carry this team. He especially doesn't have what it takes to make scrubs win football games.  But surround him with a decent OL, give him an actual game plan and some weaponz...and maybe we can stop talking about how much his stats suck, and we can go back to winning football games.  

who exactly takes the blame for butt fumbles? the qb or the o-linemens ass?

Is this how you plan on ruling your pseudo Captaincy? By agreeing with trolls and pointing the finger at Mark Sanchez? Cause, he'd actually shoulder a lot of the blame for our team's downfall. Did he throw a lot of int's? Yes, a lot. ( pardon me for being cheeky when I said "a couple"). However, an interception doesn't just fall on the QB. You know that. Even the greats throw the occasional errant pass. (Drew Brees lead the league, last year). Did he fumble a lot? Yes, a lot. However, a strip fumble doesn't just fall on the QB. You know that. 3rd/4th string TEs who miss their chip block on a free blitzer deserve some blame, as do OTs who gave up an inordinate number of sacks this last year.

I saw a deer in the headlights during some games last year (David Carr syndrome). That tends to happen when your WRs don't get open, and your OL stops blocking, and your OC can't allocate extra protection or scheme a sour game--right. Instead of pulling Sanchez and let him regain his composure, they left him in there. That falls on the head coach. You know that.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Mark doesn't have what it takes to carry this team. He especially doesn't have what it takes to make scrubs win football games. But surround him with a decent OL, give him an actual game plan and some weaponz...and maybe we can stop talking about how much his stats suck, and we can go back to winning football games.

It was all Doug Brien's fault you guys

Most of the questions were about his mental makeup and ability to learn the pro offense, IIRC.

It was all about his mental makeup.  He acted profoundly immature and that's a bad thing for a QB to be.

But the notion that he dropped to #39 because he wasn't a day 1 starter is absurd.  Carson Palmer and Eli Manning and Michael Vick were #1 overall picks and certainly weren't day 1 starters.  Probably 80-90% of round 1 QBs aren't universally viewed as day-one starters, yet they still were round 1 picks.

Yes.  

Absolutely no way he'd still be here if they could cut him right now with no cap penalty.

You really think that if the Jets - the 2013 New York Jets - had this same team sans Mark Sanchez, that they would go out into the FA QB market and sign Mark Sanchez for $8M for 1 year (actually not even for 1 year; they'd only be interested in him until this year's bye week at the very latest)? An $8M QB who isn't capable of blowing away a rookie who never played in this style offense, and who is very much still learning while playing (the very reason to acquire "free agent" Sanchez for $8M in the first place)?

You've got to be kidding me.

Mark does not have what it takes to carry this team.  But, in 2009 and 2010, he was what was holding this team back.

Sure, right now there's more than just Sanchez to blame for a 6-10 season.  But, Sanchez is the biggest culprit, as he is statistically the worst QB in the league under pressure which makes a running game more difficult and gives WRs less time to get open.  Defenses sell out and bring pressure on us, because they have no reason not to.  A good QB would make our offensive line, running game, and WRs look a lot better because defenses would have to think about more than just pinning their ears back.

He's terrible.  Good enough to take a nearly elite team to back to back AFC Championship losses, but nothing more.  Every piece of evidence points to this.  You thinking he's a hard worker and a nice guy doesn't change that.  Oh, and he was the LAST person at practice this morning... OH NO!

EDIT: Also, at this point in his career, we're at a point where pro-Sanchez comments are more closely resembling trolling than those who speak about his actual performance.

Absolutely no way he'd still be here if they could cut him right now with no cap penalty.

You really think that if the Jets - the 2013 New York Jets - had this same team sans Mark Sanchez, that they would go out into the FA QB market and sign Mark Sanchez for $8M for 1 year (actually not even for 1 year; they'd only be interested in him until this year's bye week at the very latest)? An $8M QB who isn't capable of blowing away a rookie who never played in this style offense, and who is very much still learning while playing (the very reason to acquire "free agent" Sanchez for $8M in the first place)?

You've got to be kidding me.

I'd have to look it up, I believe LionelRichie (poster) had asked whether the Jets would retain Mark Sanchez if he could be cut without penalty.  Under that scenario the team wouldn't be paying him $8M, and under that scenario, I answered the way I did.

A lot of the angst for Sanchez is the money he is tying up...that amount has forced the team into gifting him the starter role...which in turn has made him into one of the league's worst QBs.  We have HAD to start him because like it or not, he HAS been the best QB on our roster for the last 4 years, and at his salary looking for a replacement has not been paramount.

Like I mention in my post, If we could've cut him (gift receipt in hand) 3 months ago, we would have.  If nothing else just to change the perception of the team as being a joke-circus.  However, sift through the tea leaves.  3 months ago Sanchez' replacement options were (a now injured/retired) David Garrard, Kevin Kolb (being beaten out by a rookie in EJ Manuel), Matt Flynn was floated around (he's barely beating an UDFA), and maybe Vince Young (who just left his couch three days ago).  Three months ago, Yes.  Right now? No.

Sanchez is actually the best QB option available on the FA market, should he hit it right now...and (wait for it), he's the best QB for our team.  

I'd have to look it up, I believe LionelRichie (poster) had asked whether the Jets would retain Mark Sanchez if he could be cut without penalty.  Under that scenario the team wouldn't be paying him $8M, and under that scenario, I answered the way I did.

A lot of the angst for Sanchez is the money he is tying up...that amount has forced the team into gifting him the starter role...which in turn has made him into one of the league's worst QBs.  We have HAD to start him because like it or not, he HAS been the best QB on our roster for the last 4 years, and at his salary looking for a replacement has not been paramount.

Like I mention in my post, If we could've cut him (gift receipt in hand) 3 months ago, we would have.  If nothing else just to change the perception of the team as being a joke-circus.  However, sift through the tea leaves.  3 months ago Sanchez' replacement options were (a now injured/retired) David Garrard, Kevin Kolb (being beaten out by a rookie in EJ Manuel), Matt Flynn was floated around (he's barely beating an UDFA), and maybe Vince Young (who just left his couch three days ago).  Three months ago, Yes.  Right now? No.

Sanchez is actually the best QB option available on the FA market, should he hit it right now...and (wait for it), he's the best QB for our team.  

You are saying something entirely different.  Saying he'd be the best FA QB on the market today does not mean anyone on the planet would sign him to a 1-year $8M deal right now today.  If the rest of someone's team was THAT solid (i.e. serious contenders this year) that even Mark Sanchez at $8M would be an option, they'd just trade away a draft pick for someone better at half the price.

Also any other team in this situation would have to feel that Sanchez was $8M better than their current #2 QB.

Would not happen.

And I dismiss anything the team claims while Sanchez is on the team and guaranteed $8M.  You may be getting an honest answer and the team may be shoveling BS.  If it is the latter, they have good reason to be shoveling it, for that obvious reason.

While I hate him with the passion of 1,000 gods, I don't disagree with this so much. 

It's not as if QBs are cheap either...The only FA ones signing for pennies are the guys who are half retired and ****ed up physically. Kolb got 6.5 million and IIRC Flynn got 7 million a year...

Mark does not have what it takes to carry this team.  But, in 2009 and 2010, he was what was holding this team back.

Serious? Mark threw for 257 yds (including his career long, 80 yd) for 2 TD, 1 int in 2009.  I thought Greene getting hurt, and our defense watching Payton Manning is what held us back.  The following year, I coulda swore Mark beat Manning and Brady on his way to losing to the Steelers after putting up a 233 yd 2TD, 0 int, performance. 

Sure, right now there's more than just Sanchez to blame for a 6-10 season. 

Thank you for that.  I'll now call you Captain. 

But, Sanchez is the biggest culprit, as he is statistically the worst QB in the league under pressure

He's a bottom dweller sure, no disputing that...and he leads the league in turnovers over the last 2 years.  However, he's actually not "the worst" in any single passing category.  Surprisingly enough, Andrew Luck is actually worse than Sanchez in a lot of categories.  Stats can be misleading.  In Mark's case it is the culmination of ALL his horrible stats which make him bad.  As for under pressure, last year was an anomaly because Mark used to be really good at evading the pass rush.  

which makes a running game more difficult and gives WRs less time to get open. 

What running game?  What WRs? 

Defenses sell out and bring pressure on us, because they have no reason not to.  A good QB would make our offensive line, running game, and WRs look a lot better because defenses would have to think about more than just pinning their ears back.

Good QBs get slaughtered without a good OL...and Manning would be back in retirement if he was throwing to Mardy Gilyard, Jason Hill and Dedrick Epps. 

He's terrible.  Good enough to take a nearly elite team to back to back AFC Championship losses, but nothing more.  Every piece of evidence points to this.  You thinking he's a hard worker and a nice guy doesn't change that. 

To make it in this league you need an elite skill set, physical health, and a tough mental make-up.  There's only 32 of these jobs in the world, and if Sanchez didn't have SOMETHING, he'd be out of his.  I think he needs to refine his mechanics, get ACTUAL coaching (Daboll?! Schotty?!) and the rest will fall in line, because like it or not, his mental make-up is a big part of the reason he was brought here, and hasn't folded up under the pressure and scrutiny of under performing in the world's largest microscope. 

Oh, and he was the LAST person at practice this morning... OH NO!

hahaaa! Cut his ass!

EDIT: Also, at this point in his career, we're at a point where pro-Sanchez comments are more closely resembling trolling than those who speak about his actual performance.

LOL.  I'm just getting sick of the bad-mouthing, and the d-line circle jerks.  If nobody played Devil's advocate we'd all just be playing patty cake. 

You are saying something entirely different.  Saying he'd be the best FA QB on the market today does not mean anyone on the planet would sign him to a 1-year $8M deal right now today.  If the rest of someone's team was THAT solid (i.e. serious contenders this year) that even Mark Sanchez at $8M would be an option, they'd just trade away a draft pick for someone better at half the price.

Also any other team in this situation would have to feel that Sanchez was $8M better than their current #2 QB.

Would not happen.

And I dismiss anything the team claims while Sanchez is on the team and guaranteed $8M.  You may be getting an honest answer and the team may be shoveling BS.  If it is the latter, they have good reason to be shoveling it, for that obvious reason.

I don't believe Sanchez is worth that contract.  $8M is ludicrous for what he delivers.  

If Mark was a FA, I'm sure Idzik would low-ball him, point to his stats and offer something in the neighborhood of Mike Goodson's contract.

$2M per year for Mark, puts a (still developing) player on our bench who could (cause he has) start games in a pinch...and IMO play much better than he showed last year.   

While I hate him with the passion of 1,000 gods, I don't disagree with this so much. 

It's not as if QBs are cheap either...The only FA ones signing for pennies are the guys who are half retired and ****ed up physically. Kolb got 6.5 million and IIRC Flynn got 7 million a year...

Could've had Vince Young

I don't believe Sanchez is worth that contract.  $8M is ludicrous for what he delivers.  

If Mark was a FA, I'm sure Idzik would low-ball him, point to his stats and offer something in the neighborhood of Mike Goodson's contract.

$2M per year for Mark, puts a (still developing) player on our bench who could (cause he has) start games in a pinch...and IMO play much better than he showed last year.   

Which was my point.  Therefore, if the Jets could release him right now, today, and get out of paying him $8M then they would.  It is my understanding that is the proposed "what if" scenario.  

There is no way they would sign up for 1 year of Mark Sanchez for $8M guaranteed if they didn't have to.  

Archived