Mehta: Idzik's Terrible Start May be end for Rex

flgreen

the one fair criticism is goodson.  the hawks have a ton of bad character guys.  that I don't want happening here

Character and Injury never came into the Hawks or Bucs thinking when getting a player. This whole situation could go from bad to worse with this guy here. Its early - but his moves mirror his previous stops.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milliner should have gone top 5. He was good value. You could make the argument that he could have went with Austin - but Austin was already off the board. I still think that is the guy they wanted and he totally got Bradway'd in the draft, although he did still wind up with a good player. I can agree with the Geno thing. I wanted him to trade up for the guy and I do still think Geno will be a good QB in time. As laughable as it is, simply throwing a decent screen pass makes him better then Sanchez. Its just a matter of how quickly he can develop fully. Again though, you and I and a pro football weekly magazine could have made those three picks. Its the late round Antonio Brown that we needed. Or the late round RB. Atleast get ONE of these guys.

Which RB or WR did you like that went in Rd 5-7? Are they or will they be better than Spadola or Chad Spann or Chris Ivory? 

Campbell is the guy I wanted the last three years, but given the purpose of what Idzik was looking for (one year stopgap), Garrard would have been the perfect guy for that duty. I think Idzik wanted to get to Ground Zero with this roster, and he'll have gotten there by next February by dumping Sanchez, Holmes, and Cromartie. I think every move he's made so far points to not caring if the team wins more than three games this year. He's a businessman, and businessman aren't averse to scorching the earth.

Garrard obviously wasn't the perfect guy. I think Idzik should've taken a little longer view at the most important position on the field, because even if Geno is the goods, the Jets will still need a reliable backup next year. There were guys available who've been in the NFL the last two years.

And the RB moves were not scorched earth moves by any stretch. He doesn't make those moves if he doesn't care if the team wins or not this year.

I get all the rest of it. I understand the two year rebuild concept. I see that he's trying to maximize future comp picks, and maximize his available cash for next year, etc. But his veteran moves have been flat out bad so far. I think that's a fair statement.

And if Idzik is doing anything to purposely undermine Rex, he sucks. He's the boss. He can fire or extend Rex as soon as next year. He doesn't need to sabotage the team he was hired to fix to gain that authority. I don't think that's what he's doing at all, but if he is, it's inexcusable.

In addition to a new HC, a legitimate starting QB and an X receiver we also need a few decent reporters to cover the Jets.

There are some good ones, but they keep getting moved to cover the Giants.  Weird how that works.

Money issues is a farce all contracts can be redone I believe we are 11 mil under right now and that's with 21 mil in dead cap space . I'm not saying we didn't have to cut some dead weight but the qb postion could have been addressed better and actually the right side of our o line could have been addressed

Money issues is a farce all contracts can be redone I believe we are 11 mil under right now and that's with 21 mil in dead cap space . I'm not saying we didn't have to cut some dead weight but the qb postion could have been addressed better and actually the right side of our o line could have been addressed

Which RB or WR did you like that went in Rd 5-7? Are they or will they be better than Spadola or Chad Spann or Chris Ivory? 

Guys like Ace Sanders or Denard Robinson, Stephan Taylor. There are lots of later round gems every year. Its not my job to find them though, its the GM's.

You can kind of tell that Mehta is full of sh*t when he mentions the other QB options. He names five guys, three of which are not even better than the very expensive QB we already have. So, his sentence would/should have read "He could have signed Matt Hasselbeck or Ryan Fitzpatrick" which, I'm sure, didn't read as well as the one he went with so he padded it a little.

None of those guys have played a down of NFL football.

lol. No, but they will. All of them are having great camps and are the type of athletes this offense needs. Sanders will be a top kick returner this year. Robinson would have been a great offensive weapon. I give you some names of late round guys who could have been playmakers on the Jets and your response is that they haven't played in the NFL yet? lol

lol. No, but they will. All of them are having great camps and are the type of athletes this offense needs. Sanders will be a top kick returner this year. Robinson would have been a great offensive weapon. I give you some names of late round guys who could have been playmakers on the Jets and your response is that they haven't played in the NFL yet? lol

Could is a giant word. 

David Clowney had some pretty good camps, if I remember correctly.

You're giving me the name of a QB that is now a WR project? lol

Garrard obviously wasn't the perfect guy. I think Idzik should've taken a little longer view at the most important position on the field, because even if Geno is the goods, the Jets will still need a reliable backup next year. There were guys available who've been in the NFL the last two years.

Garrard arbitrarily decided not to play, though. He didn't get hurt, he just up and quit. If he stuck it out, he'd be the ideal guy right now. It's just hard to blame Idzik for Garrard wanting to stay on the couch because his knees are sore. Now, not bothering to replace Garrard despite having ample time to do so, that's a clue as to how worried Idzik is about this season's win total.

And the RB moves were not scorched earth moves by any stretch. He doesn't make those moves if he doesn't care if the team wins or not this year.

Ivory is 25 and Goodson is 26, and both of them are super-low-mileage. It's likely Idzik sees Ivory as his version of Marshawn Lynch down the line. Goodson--who knows what the plan was there? Add speed, I guess? Like I said, I'm no fan of either, but if they pan out, great; if not, they cost less than your third safety.

But his veteran moves have been flat out bad so far. I think that's a fair statement.

"So far" being the operative statement. Ivory and Goodson have a chance to justify the $4 mil per investment. Garrard blew up on him, but guys like Colon and Peterman and Winslow aren't going to be here 8 months from now, by design. They're here solely because they need to field 53 guys and didn't have the money to pay for the 53 they wanted.

And if Idzik is doing anything to purposely undermine Rex, he sucks. He's the boss. He can fire or extend Rex as soon as next year. He doesn't need to sabotage the team he was hired to fix to gain that authority. I don't think that's what he's doing at all, but if he is, it's inexcusable.

Undermining Rex is the side effect of preparing the team for its rebuild. As we've discussed ad nauseum, Rex is going to have to gain Idzik's trust in order to stay on for that rebuild, and Idzik is going to have to parse how much responsibility Rex bears for the roster being where it is currently. Idzik, like Tannenbaum, could have plugged some holes in the dam by moving contracts around/trading up/buying mid-priced vets for another year to help Rex, but it looks like he's just going let the dam break altogether. If Rex drowns in the ensuing flood, so be it.

There is no such position as Playmaker. You can't expect Idzik to draft a project like Robinson. You can hope he does, like you have, but you can't EXPECT it. 

So, all I'm left with is your kick returner in an age of the touchback. So basically, what I'm left with is a punt returner. 

You're upset about a punt returner, got it.

Garrard arbitrarily decided not to play, though. He didn't get hurt, he just up and quit. If he stuck it out, he'd be the ideal guy right now. It's just hard to blame Idzik for Garrard wanting to stay on the couch because his knees are sore. Now, not bothering to replace Garrard despite having ample time to do so, that's a clue as to how worried Idzik is about this season's win total.

Garrard didn't arbitrarily decide to quit, his body couldn't handle playing. Just like the previous year. I'm sorry, but you can absolutely blame Idzik for the flop that move was. As far as not signing someone else - who was that gonna be? The market's pretty dry.

Plaxico, Ramon Foster, Matt Spaeth, and William Gay would not be embraced here ...

What I meant by that is that every year Pittsburgh finds itself an Antonio Brown or Mike Wallace. Thats all I am asking for. A few late round or free agent playmakers. The good teams dont need to purge the whole roster and finish 5-11 to find them. The Baltimore, Pittsburgh and New Englands find these players in droves. 

There is no such position as Playmaker. You can't expect Idzik to draft a project like Robinson. You can hope he does, like you have, but you can't EXPECT it. 

So, all I'm left with is your kick returner in an age of the touchback. So basically, what I'm left with is a punt returner. 

You're upset about a punt returner, got it.

So lets never draft a late round playmaker. Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, Marques Colston, Brad Smith and such never happen. 

Got it.

So the guy who says Jet fans are classless and out of line to boo Sanchez after 2 of the worst seasons a QB has ever played is judging the GM after one preseason game...got it.

This guy pays attention.  Mehta might as well put on a thong do a cartwheel and scream, "Look at me."  Attention whore hack.  Idzik has a plan but has no control over guys getting hurt or making dumb personal life decisions.  I agree with Shane.  This is a bowel cleanse year.  

This guy pays attention.  Mehta might as well put on a thong do a cartwheel and scream, "Look at me."  Attention whore hack.  Idzik has a plan but has no control over guys getting hurt or making dumb personal life decisions.  I agree with Shane.  This is a bowel cleanse year.  

Except when they had a history of injuries and getting in trouble before they even signed with the team. Then it's on the GM.

Garrard didn't arbitrarily decide to quit, his body couldn't handle playing. Just like the previous year. I'm sorry, but you can absolutely blame Idzik for the flop that move was. As far as not signing someone else - who was that gonna be? The market's pretty dry.

Did Garrard's body hurt when he agreed to the contract in the first place? It's not like Idzik begged him to take the job. He had his backup QB and his backup QB just decided not to play, not because of injury, but because his knees were sore. It would be like Michael Vick retiring right now and blaming Howie Rosenbaum for it.

And Garrard quit May 15th. I thought it was back in April. Other than a Trent Edwards (who asked for his release from the Eagles), there really isn't anyone out there. My bad.

it's to get the team ready to compete by 2015-2016.  

how does signing Garrard, Goodson, Colon, Peterman etc do that? Bringing in terrible players in 2013 doesn't actually help the 2015 Jets.  if Idzik's signings continue to be of this quality, he won't be the GM in 2015. 

how does signing Garrard, Goodson, Colon, Peterman etc do that? Bringing in terrible players in 2013 doesn't actually help the 2015 Jets. if Idzik's signings continue to be of this quality, he won't be the GM in 2015.

and resigning Brandon Moore would? This year is ****ed, he basically had just the draft to work with due to Tanny's incompetence. I didn't like the RB signings especially Ivory but if he can stay healthy I'll be very happy. You don't like the rebuilding thing but this was not a year we could compete. He doesn't put a competitive team on the field in the next couple years I'll be right there with you

how does signing Garrard, Goodson, Colon, Peterman etc do that? Bringing in terrible players in 2013 doesn't actually help the 2015 Jets.  if Idzik's signings continue to be of this quality, he won't be the GM in 2015. 

Idzik will be graded on:

1.  The draft he had in April (and going forward)

2.  What he does with the $$$ the Jets have next year, they have room under the cap.

how does signing Garrard, Goodson, Colon, Peterman etc do that? Bringing in terrible players in 2013 doesn't actually help the 2015 Jets. if Idzik's signings continue to be of this quality, he won't be the GM in 2015.

Because all of those guys (except Goodson) get flushed at the end of the year and the new coach fills the roster with players he actually wants.

Did Garrard's body hurt when he agreed to the contract in the first place? It's not like Idzik begged him to take the job. He had his backup QB and his backup QB just decided not to play, not because of injury, but because his knees were sore. It would be like Michael Vick retiring right now and blaming Howie Rosenbaum for it.

And Garrard quit May 15th. I thought it was back in April. Other than a Trent Edwards (who asked for his release from the Eagles), there really isn't anyone out there. My bad.

Listen, I know he's your guy and all, but when you sign a guy who's been out of the league for two years, and you hope he will compete for -or maybe even be handed- the starting QB job on your team, you really need to be 100% sure that he's going to make it to training camp. If you're not 100% sure, you need to go in another direction. That one's on Idzik.

Because all of those guys (except Goodson) get flushed at the end of the year and the new coach fills the roster with players he actually wants.

Idzik shouldn't need a new coach to get good offensive players. The GM job is a full time job and he should be doing it on his own. 

Idzik will be graded on:

1.  The draft he had in April (and going forward)

2.  What he does with the $$$ the Jets have next year, they have room under the cap.

other than the first round picks the Draft looks fairly crappy so far. Winters, Cambell and Oday don't help this team right now. Geno is not even close to being a starter. How is this better than Tanny?  

and resigning Brandon Moore would? This year is ****ed, he basically had just the draft to work with due to Tanny's incompetence.

Brandon Moore started 7+ years in the same spot when you remove a guy like that and replace him with garbage there's gonna be a problem. Maybe Moore is done but Colon/Peterman were terrible signings. To say it's Tanny's fault that he signed David Garrard is complete bull. Idzik could have signed better players, these signings had nothing to do with Tanny. 

Archived