Jets should give Geno the season

MexiRoll6

Does anyone really think the Jets are a playoff team with Mark Sanchez? Didn't think so. So why are the Jets playing this stupid game with the QB's when we all know that Idzik needs a long look at the rookie to see if the Jets have a QB of the future or not. If the Jets go to the playoffs it will be because Smith channeled his inner Russell Wilson/ Colin Kaepernick. If he stinks the Jets draft another QB in a QB deep draft next year. The only reason for this farce is Rex Ryan. Ryan will be out on his keester if Sanchez plays most of the season, because we ALL know what Sanchez brings and it simply is NOT good enough. Much like Rex's coaching ability, Sanchez has the ability only to tease and show flashes of promise but never deliver on it. So again I say give the damn job to Geno because this is a rebuilding season anyway and lets see what we have.

Because Geno will get "ruined" if he starts right away.  Something something, "We aren't making the playoffs with Geno either" something something, negative nancy talk something something.

Let's have some balls and go with Geno.  When Revis is pick sixing Sanchez and Rex is giving his "boy i tell ya, until that Sanchez was playing pretty good, and what an offseason and preseason he had" talk we'll be wanting to cut ourselves.

As said elsewhere,  just throwing Geno in as the starter just because would feel an awful like Sanchez 2.0.  Except the Jets at least had  a decent enough team the first couple of seasons with Sanchez.  

And Sanchez couldn't football, never could and never will.  Geno might be able to football.  Only 2 ways a young QB get "ruined" by starting Week 1 are:  1) Can't football, and 2) Horrendous offensive line gets him killed (See:  Carr, David). 

Our offensive line is in a completely different universe than the 2002 Houston Texans, so only option # 1 is possible here.  And if he doesn't cut it, at least we'll know early enough on to draft another QB next offseason. 

the operative word here is give. Pro football teams should never give anyone a job they didn't earn. That's kinda how Sanchez got his job in the first place.  Geno has a chance to earn it. He can win this job or he can ride the pine. The scenario where the Jets give him something he didn't earn is bad idea jeans. Because if he can't beat out Mark Sanchez (who we all agree eats donkey balls), then Geno doesn't deserve to start. Forget about potential. 

Does anyone really think the Jets are a playoff team with Mark Sanchez? Didn't think so. So why are the Jets playing this stupid game with the QB's when we all know that Idzik needs a long look at the rookie to see if the Jets have a QB of the future or not. If the Jets go to the playoffs it will be because Smith channeled his inner Russell Wilson/ Colin Kaepernick. If he stinks the Jets draft another QB in a QB deep draft next year. The only reason for this farce is Rex Ryan. Ryan will be out on his keester if Sanchez plays most of the season, because we ALL know what Sanchez brings and it simply is NOT good enough. Much like Rex's coaching ability, Sanchez has the ability only to tease and show flashes of promise but never deliver on it. So again I say give the damn job to Geno because this is a rebuilding season anyway and lets see what we have.

I can't believe you started a thread on this.  The sensible, logical, sound football reasons for not starting Geno game 1 have been laid out ad nauseum.  Some of you just don't get it.  If Geno lights up the Giants tomorrow night and the CS thinks he's ready and won't get killed, great, start him; otherwise, Sanchez should start.  This isn't a playoff team regardless of who the starting QB is.  Accept it.

And Sanchez couldn't football, never could and never will.  Geno might be able to football.  Only 2 ways a young QB get "ruined" by starting Week 1 are:  1) Can't football, and 2) Horrendous offensive line gets him killed (See:  Carr, David). 

Our offensive line is in a completely different universe than the 2002 Houston Texans, so only option # 1 is possible here.  And if he doesn't cut it, at least we'll know early enough on to draft another QB next offseason. 

Wrong

a.  They have no choice but to play this stupid game with the QBs

b.  The long look will come against the Giants

c.  The farce does not stop with Rextard.  There are a few other cancer spots still left on the team.

d.  There is no reason to rush Geno and we all know we are picking in the top 5 next draft

e.  All the above

He was the better option when he was drafted. Sanchez sucks, but at least New York Mick has a boner.

based on what ?    his 40 fumbles in college ?  his pussy ankle ?

all the geno love is just sanchez hate

lets let him earn it

He is here because there really is no football reason for Sanchez to be here.  He is here because Mike T. was an ass.  Sanchez is a QB who produces points for the opposing D.  He either throws a pick 6 or throws one in the end zone, between fumbles.  No reason to continue with him.  

As said elsewhere,  just throwing Geno in as the starter just because would feel an awful like Sanchez 2.0.  Except the Jets at least had  a decent enough team the first couple of seasons with Sanchez.  

Starting Sanchez right away did not ruin him. He's just not very good.

based on what ?    his 40 fumbles in college ?  his pussy ankle ?

all the geno love is just sanchez hate

lets let him earn it

The grass is always greener... especially when the options are dogsh*t and a bag of grass seed.

Starting Sanchez right away did not ruin him. He's just not very good.

Exactly, his first game was one of his best looking games as a pro... it wasn't until after he made his first mistakes that the coaching staff over-reacted and started down the path of turning the kids head inside out. Experienced coaches would have helped guide Mark through out-growing the errors, the Rex/Schotty combination did nothing but teach him to obsess over them.

Red, yellow, green... wtf I don't know whether to sh*t or piss!!! 

We'll see what happens tonight. If Geno plays against the jints the way he's reportedly played in practice the last couple days, then throw him out there. Maybe they really did find something special. But if he isn't playing noticeably better than Sanchez, then Sanchez should take the lumps for the first however many weeks of the season. Give Geno a little more time to get acclimated to the NFL, while Sanchez gets beat up behind an OL still gelling, in an offense that's still finding its footing, against the tougher part of the schedule.

Fans are impatient and emotional, but there's really no rush. Geno will definitely be starting at some point this season.

I don't see how standing on the sidelines for the first 4 or 5 games makes a young quarterback any more "ready" than having in-game experience. I don't understand it at all. Seriously, I'm not being facetious or using an expression, can someone please tell me how this happens?

While you're at it, please tell me how a guy gets "ruined" by adversity if he starts right away as opposed to standing on the sideline for the first 4 or 5 games and THEN playing and facing the same adversity  . Again, I'm really asking because not one of you on that side of the argument has ever explained it clearly.

I don't see how standing on the sidelines for the first 4 or 5 games makes a young quarterback any more "ready" than having in-game experience. I don't understand it at all. Seriously, I'm not being facetious or using an expression, can someone please tell me how this happens?

While you're at it, please tell me how a guy gets "ruined" by adversity if he starts right away as opposed to standing on the sideline for the first 4 or 5 games and THEN playing and facing the same adversity  . Again, I'm really asking because not one of you on that side of the argument has ever explained it clearly.

I'll take a stab at it.

He gets more ready by the following:

1) Getting more practice reps;

2) Getting more time to learn the offense;

3) Getting more time to do more film study of Ds and learning to recognize blitzes and tendencies

4) Observing Sanchez play, comparing it with game film, talking about it with his QB Coach and OC and other QBs;

5) Getting more time to make sure his ankle is fully healed;

6) Getting more time to work on his fundamentals (footwork dropping back, reads/progressions, not holding the ball too long)

How he can get ruined by playing before he's ready:

1) Not being able to recognize blitzes, so not checking out of plays or changing protections, and thus potentially taking a lot of hits/sacks where he could get seriously injured, gun-shy or shell-shocked like David Carr;

2) Forcing him to play when he's still having to think too much about fundamentals, and is unable to relax, play up to speed, and play confidently.  Lots of rookie players, especially QBs can have their confidence take a big hit from making too many mistakes, getting hit too much, not being comfortable. Then they get into bad habits, start pressing and trying to force things.

3) Most people think Sanchez has lost most or all confidence in himself.  In all likelihood, that wouldn't have happened or to the degree it did if Sanchez had been allowed to sit his rookie season.  His first couple of games were among his best.  It went downhill from there when they started telling him to change his approach, to be more cautious, to not screw up.  That kind of thing makes players play uptight.  They think too much, are hesitant to just play.  We saw it at the goal line with Sanchez vs Jax.  Instead of throwing the ball to Gates on the drive following the red zone pick, he second-guessed himself and tried to run the ball.  If he had been able to sit, have time to adjust mentally to the NFL, the speed of the game, develop at his own pace and not feel all the pressure of starting as a rookie in NY for  HC who has predicted the SB, he could have become a better QB.   Perhaps he wouldn't be so panicky in the pocket or try to force throws.  Perhaps he would have learned to throw the ball away rather than take sacks or throw the ball up for grabs.

4)  As team leaders and playing the most important position on the team, QBs have a lot of pressure on them.  If the QB struggles, the pressure gets worse.  Usually, more experienced/more mature QBs can handle those rough times. It's harder for rookies.

5) We've already seen with Geno how he has struggled in the practices after he hurt his ankle and following installation of parts of the offense.  Anyone who has watched the NFL for any time at all knows that rookies' heads can start spinning with all they have to learn.  He's had to learn a very complex offense after practically playing in a sandlot offense in college.  He's had to adjust to backpedaling while reading the D vs standing there catching the snap and looking at the D.  He's had to learn the precise timing of the steps in his drops with the routes that are being run.  He's had to learn to read much more complex defensive alignments.  He's had to adjust to bigger, faster, better defenders.  It's one thing to struggle in the anonymity of practice and quite another to struggle in front of 40-50k fans live and millions on TV.  Those kinds of things can erode confidence quickly.  Confidence doesn't exist in a vacuum.  For a QB it comes from a believe in his own talents and abilities, but also from knowing the offense, knowing what he's supposed to do, having solid fundamentals that happen automatically without his having to think about them, knowing what the D is going to do, and being able to be aggressive and attack, rather than reactive.  You're heard many rookie players talk about how once they learn their system and have their fundamentals down the game slows down for them and they can relax and allow their talent to take over.  If Geno isn't mentally ready, or isn't physically ready and knows it, he won't be able to relax and allow his talent to take over.  He'll have to think too much, and he won't be able to play his best.  That will cause him to start forcing things and allow self doubt to start creeping in.   Further, if he's having self doubts, how is he going to lead effectively,  enable his offensive teammates to trust him and help them play better if he's too focused on himself and his own struggles?  Confidence and the right mental framework is everything.  It can make people perform much better than they should be capable of.  I think it's what enables some guys to be overachievers and play at a much higher level than anyone expected of them based on their natural talent/athleticism.  Conversely, the lack of it, can ruin someone with superlative natural talent and athleticism and cause them to underperform or be a bust

6) This isn't an example of not being "ready," but remember how gun-shy Kenny O'Brien got from taking too many hits and sacks, and how that had such a negative effect on his play late in his career?   Well, he was to blame for many, if not most of those hits because he held the ball too long. Reports have said that Geno has had the same problem in practice.  IMO it's much better to keep working with him in practice until that is resolved and he quickly throws the ball away, or scrambles to buy more time, rather than just standing there in the pocket.  There are certain things that one has to play in order to learn.  There are other aspects of play (such as basic fundamentals like arm angles, hitch in delivery, footwork, holding the ball too long, ability to read Ds), that are very difficult, if not impossible, to learn while playing.  The pressure is too great.  One can't focus on what one needs to do to improve.  One is having to deliver, to do one's job and help make others around him better.  It's better if he has worked through and resolved all those issues before he takes the field, so that they don't hold him back or have a negative effect on his play.  That's putting him in the best position to succeed.  Throwing him out there when he's still struggling with those issues sets him up to fail or at least struggle mightily

Hope this helps. 

I think the idea is that the clipboard holders get to listen in on the radio speak between HC and QB.  The repetition of hearing the plays, the situation they are appearing in, and the little warnings like, "watch the clock...we only have one timeout...we need a TD here...a FG is fine..."etc. helps build situational awareness.  

What I want to know. Seriously, is what the backup QBs are writing on the clipboards.  You'd think a coach asst, or ball boy could do that.  

Archived